Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 269

post #4021 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Simply put, it uses a silver plug which isn't as sturdy, if it somehow bent even just a bit, it will begin to cut off. Heck even brand new it can cut off [twist it around, it cuts off], never trust silver plugs, go for gold. People link the one you post because they promote more ohm options,but the seller i linked has 30ohms, he just didn't mention it in his ad. I can assure you if you buy that newer one you'll agree, it is MUCH nicer and a lot more sturdy, not only that, it's 6$ cheaper LOL. 

 

I'm the one who introduced James444 and other users to that link, which I regret doing as I had no idea this other seller sells something nicer and cheaper.

Ah, I see. That does make sense. Maybe I'll crank out a hammer or something and try my hand with regards to bending them wink.gif $12 for a better replacement? Sounds like a no-brainer. 

 

Actually raw costs for a 1/4 to 1/4 female-to-male is rather cheap, and adding resistance in this case shouldn't take too much effort. So $18 is a bit of a stretch. I'm sure if I get someone local to make one for me it would cost significantly cheaper.

 

In this case I was looking for something to for my single-ended speaker taps so just ordered the one you linked. Let's see how it goes.

post #4022 of 5326

Perhaps this has been mentioned before.

 

A couple of days ago, I took my W4+iphone5 with me while running as usual. After that, I just put the W4 into my jacket and put them into the washing machine. And when I realized that, my W4 was already washed and dried with my jacket. Amazingly, the W4 still works after that and there is no difference in the sound.

 

If you have used your W4 for long time and found them covered with ear oil/wax, you might also consider wash them that way wink_face.gif

post #4023 of 5326

LOL

post #4024 of 5326
I just bought a pair of these and they finally arrived yesterday!


My initial thoughts when putting them in my ears was that they are much more comfortable than my previous pair of Shure SE530s which finally bit the dust last week. The braided cable also seems very nice and will be much more manageable on the go or at the gym than my Shures. A lot less cable strain than my Shures as well, which eventually became a burden.

I started off with the stock 'black' tips (Comply?) and plugged it into my Zune 120. My ears immediately went to the super smooth and accurate bass, despite all ive been hearing about their stellar mids. Though that is probably because im not usually exposed to much bass, as the majority of my listening is done through my AKG K702s. Dont get me wrong, I found the mids to my liking, but the highs were an immediate disappointment. It almost reminded me of my discman days where I used to use the bass boost and the treble was drowned out; except this time without the powerful boomy bass. The highs were very subdued and light and it made the overall headphone presence seem a bit muffled and stuffy.

I figured it may have been that the tips werent giving me a proper fit, so I tried out a few more tips. I ended up finding that my Shure olives gave me a flatter response with more airy highs, but at the expense of the low end. I ended up settling on the green tipped (small) foamies as some of the bass I found with the stock size returned and the highs were still bright enough. The silicone tips also balanced out the lows and the highs, but at the slight expense of a full bodied and tight sound. They didnt sound nearly as bad as I expected them to though and actually plan on doing a bit more experimentation. Until then I want to get used to their sound first.

As I continued to listen with the smaller tips, my disappointment with the highs has faded substantially, but not quite entirely. I listen to a fair amount of black metal that emphasizes it's sound on the higher frequencies, and the W4s seem to have a tendency to mellow out the highs while reinforcing the bass. The effect is actually a warm and pleasant sound that makes the instrumentals sound very natural, or if it is more extreme music the percussive attack is stronger; albeit also slightly muffled. Fortunately for me I bought the W4 because I wanted something a bit on the warm side of neutral and it seems like I got what I was looking for. The detail and clarity amazes me considering how warm they are; im hearing instrument separation and detail in all the right places. These mids are incredible. Also vocals sound so amazing out of the W4 it isnt even funny.

Needless to say im extremely pleased with my purchase. They sound so much better than I remember my Shure SE530s sounding it isnt even funny. As much as I loved the Shures they sounded bland and boring and not as accurate in comparison to the W4. Hopefully they can withstand my gym routine like the Shures did.
post #4025 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkppl View Post

Perhaps this has been mentioned before.

 

A couple of days ago, I took my W4+iphone5 with me while running as usual. After that, I just put the W4 into my jacket and put them into the washing machine. And when I realized that, my W4 was already washed and dried with my jacket. Amazingly, the W4 still works after that and there is no difference in the sound.

 

If you have used your W4 for long time and found them covered with ear oil/wax, you might also consider wash them that way wink_face.gif

...that mini heart attack moment... ;-)

 

wow, that's cool, so what's the tips that you were using ?

post #4026 of 5326

Grey mushroom tips comes with the W4

post #4027 of 5326

It is crazy that they still work after a wash.

post #4028 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by aras View Post

It is crazy that they still work after a wash.

Yes it is, I can't believe that until i heard someone like "hkppl" shares about the story :-)

that means Westone build for strength.

post #4029 of 5326

well i wonder what the variability is in these iem's, I bought some w4r from iheadphones in the uk. It came with the old style tip bundle so i was well pissed off that they were carrying such old stock. The phones sounded great though. I then found i could import them to the uk for £100 less so i sent the first one back and got the second set. This second set came with the new tip bundle so was a newer one but i have to say, it doesnt sound like the first set. The bass is reduced and the lushness isnt as sweet.

i wonder if different countries have the iem tuned a little different?


Edited by giveit2menow - 4/4/13 at 1:23am
post #4030 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by giveit2menow View Post

well i wonder what the variability is in these iem's, I bought some w4r from iheadphones in the uk. It came with the old style tip bundle so i was well pissed off that they were carrying such old stock. The phones sounded great though. I then found i could import them to the uk for £100 less so i sent the first one back and got the second set. This second set came with the new tip bundle so was a newer one but i have to say, it doesnt sound like the first set. The bass is reduced and the lushness isnt as sweet.

i wonder if different countries have the iem tuned a little different?

 

Maybe there was a later iteration in the manufacture that produced that change, not related to region.

post #4031 of 5326

hey guys can u guys recommend me a tip which actually enhance the upper mids and treble regions with a waaay deeper insertion? currently im using a moded Monster Triple flanged tip... but it seems to wash out the clarity of these IEM's completely ; although I get a great fit..( very muddy mushy sounding bass ) tried the Shure Olives but didn't seems to give a good fit on right side..

post #4032 of 5326

Everything you ever wanted to know about W4 tips (but were afraid to ask):

 

http://rinchoi.blogspot.co.at/2012/12/the-effect-of-ear-sleeves-westone-4.html

 

Phonak tips look like a winner to me.

post #4033 of 5326

Basically, the W4 likes tapered, kind of short, wide bore tips. 

post #4034 of 5326

I received my new STAR (Orange) tips today. Firstly I must say that although the shipping was extreme I received today after ordering at the weekend (UK). From the USA that is very very good.

 

Hmm now my comments on them.

 

1. Firstly I was underwhelmed straight away, the output size of the tip is the same as a foamie and a Shure olive. I have been there (have them). The W4`s don`t need "opening up", they need to keep a realistic "punch" (Original large grey silicone - Pin hole output)

2. I played about with insertion, pushed tip all the way down the nozzle, half way up etc trying to find the impact the original grey silicone has. 

3. Listened to the Shure "olive" which I don`t really like and funnily enough I prefered to the Star tip, probably due to the better seal.

4. Chopped a Star tip so it was the same length as the original silicone, moved half way up the stem of the W4, not bad, sounded pretty decent.

 

Soo, after spending a bizarre amount of money for "new tips" I am left sitting here in the same state I was when I received Monster`s gel tips for the MTPC, meh.

 

This is obviously my findings, I have large ear canals and require a good fit but if you create a tip that you ship with your expensive IEM that has a smaller output tip size (grey silicone) than the nozzle then there must have been a reason for doing so. It really works for me and anything with a larger output bore on the tip negates bass somewhat which in turn makes the whole sound unbelievable.

 

What concerns me the most is that Shure make a silicone tip with a small output bore (which I have ordered to back up my only Westone pair) and also have wider options via foam. Both the 535 and W4 have the same nozzle size from their IEM`s and pretty much follow suit on tips.

 

If you have completely overlooked the large grey silicone on your W4`s, try it. It really is the only tip for me but each to their own.

These are fantastic IEMS and I know the exact tip that suits me, hope you all find yours, when you do, smile.


Edited by Sinth - 4/8/13 at 1:17pm
post #4035 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinth View Post

I received my new STAR (Orange) tips today. Firstly I must say that although the shipping was extreme I received today after ordering at the weekend (UK). From the USA that is very very good.

 

Hmm now my comments on them.

 

1. Firstly I was underwhelmed straight away, the output size of the tip is the same as a foamie and a Shure olive. I have been there (have them). The W4`s don`t need "opening up", they need to keep a realistic "punch" (Original large grey silicone - Pin hole output)

2. I played about with insertion, pushed tip all the way down the nozzle, half way up etc trying to find the impact the original grey silicone has. 

3. Listened to the Shure "olive" which I don`t really like and funnily enough I prefered to the Star tip, probably due to the better seal.

4. Chopped a Star tip so it was the same length as the original silicone, moved half way up the stem of the W4, not bad, sounded pretty decent.

 

Soo, after spending a bizarre amount of money for "new tips" I am left sitting here in the same state I was when I received Monster`s gel tips for the MTPC, meh.

 

This is obviously my findings, I have large ear canals and require a good fit but if you create a tip that you ship with your expensive IEM that has a smaller output tip size (grey silicone) than the nozzle then there must have been a reason for doing so. It really works for me and anything with a larger output bore on the tip negates bass somewhat which in turn makes the whole sound unbelievable.

 

What concerns me the most is that Shure make a silicone tip with a small output bore (which I have ordered to back up my only Westone pair) and also have wider options via foam. Both the 535 and W4 have the same nozzle size from their IEM`s and pretty much follow suit on tips.

 

If you have completely overlooked the large grey silicone on your W4`s, try it. It really is the only tip for me but each to their own.

These are fantastic IEMS and I know the exact tip that suits me, hope you all find yours, when you do, smile.

 

 

Did you try the black and red start tips? I had to try all three before settling on the red tips for myself on the W4, while the black tips were the best for the UM3X.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)