Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 208

post #3106 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSantana View Post

Cool,

 

Many thanks or the explanation, I'll try it out without buying the amp.

 

So in this case I assume that W4 will sounds great with: FLAC or 320 kbps MP3 for Musical Instrument rich music such as Orchestral / classical music and acoustic live concert.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSantana View Post

Soul,

 

Yes that does make sense, $ 19 E1 is nothing to compare with Predator amps (*_*) for sure...

and now the only thing that makes the difference for truly enjoyable music and sound listening is... the source of music itself.

 

I just realized that most of my music collections are Heavy Metal and Rock music (none of them FLAC), I guess I must listen to Classical music and more live acoustic concert to be able to appreciate this W4.


it seems great, did you try grado gr10?

 

 

 

always consider these:

don't forget cause and effect relationship in this hobby

never forget, what is cause and what is effect

 

Quote:
Never forget the main reason for this hobby
It is easy to get caught up in the equipment and lose sight of the main reason we got involved in this crazy hobby - the music. You can enjoy music equally as much on a $80 pair of headphones as an $800 pair

www.head-fi.org/a/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana


Edited by heart banger-97 - 8/26/12 at 11:06pm
post #3107 of 5326

That's weird :)

I found that bass on W2 has mush less quantity, and more importantly - it was of much worse quality, and eq didn't help at all.

Difference was tolerable on clip+, but with better source it was very apparent

Everyones hearing is different of course, may be it's just my brain was trying to justify the price difference.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post


To be honest I found the W2 to have more bass. 

post #3108 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart banger-97 View Post

 


it seems great, did you try grado gr10?

 

 

 

always consider these:

don't forget cause and effect relationship in this hobby

never forget, what is cause and what is effect

 

www.head-fi.org/a/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana

 

Hi Heart-banger,

 

Most of the time I'm listening to Rock Metal music collections with Ultimate Ears UE700 (2x BA) on my iPhone with Fiio E1, I don't know if by spending some more money into buying Westone W4 and Fiio E17 USB DAC can give different listening experience or not ?

 

because I cannot tell if there is any improvement after using Fiio E1 or not using Fiio E1 with my iPhone 4S?

post #3109 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiax View Post

That's weird :)

I found that bass on W2 has mush less quantity, and more importantly - it was of much worse quality, and eq didn't help at all.

Difference was tolerable on clip+, but with better source it was very apparent

Everyones hearing is different of course, may be it's just my brain was trying to justify the price difference.

 


Perhaps it's because the W4's bass sounded of better quality that I found the W2 to be more upfront. 

post #3110 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSantana View Post

 

Hi Heart-banger,

 

Most of the time I'm listening to Rock Metal music collections with Ultimate Ears UE700 (2x BA) on my iPhone with Fiio E1, I don't know if by spending some more money into buying Westone W4 and Fiio E17 USB DAC can give different listening experience or not ?

 

because I cannot tell if there is any improvement after using Fiio E1 or not using Fiio E1 with my iPhone 4S?


hi

sorry I haven't heard e17 or ue700 or e1

if you want to use e17 with iphone, you just can use it as an amp not dac/amp

currently I'm using w4r with arrow 4G

the difference is nowise huge  (of course it depends to your definition of huge and what you call huge or little difference)

the difference is somewhat in SQ and imagine

first of all, you must know what is your preference in sound signature and what is lacking your current rig.

post #3111 of 5326

Heart banger,

 

Thanks for the clarification, so yes have saved my money :-) because mostly I listen music from my iPhone, so I'm getting Fiio E11 instead of Fiio E17 (more expensive with DAC but obviously cannot be used while on the go).

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart banger-97 View Post


hi

sorry I haven't heard e17 or ue700 or e1

if you want to use e17 with iphone, you just can use it as an amp not dac/amp

currently I'm using w4r with arrow 4G

the difference is nowise huge  (of course it depends to your definition of huge and what you call huge or little difference)

the difference is somewhat in SQ and imagine

first of all, you must know what is your preference in sound signature and what is lacking your current rig.

post #3112 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post

 

Do you mess around with EQ much on your music player? I have a Cowon J3 that I'll be using with my new W4's. I'm going to keep the BBE up as usual, but I may turn the bass up slightly. I know I did for the W2's, and although the W4's' should have more bass...I'm still a slight basshead.

 

I don't like to EQ much.  If I'm switching from a brighter headphone to W4 then my ears may take a little time to adjust to the difference, and I might bump the treble a little.  Most of the time I don't need to do that.  I think the W4 have more bass than my W2, and it seems to be at about the level of my UM3X, which is a little less than the W3.  I think the W4 bass level and quality is very good.

post #3113 of 5326

I just got the Westone 4R's in the mail. I was excited too! So I open the package and attach them to my Cowon J3 to start playing music. Well, here's my initial impression:

 

I'm confused.

 

I need more time to listen to these. I can't say they're good or bad yet...but I'll post impressions after I give them some time.

post #3114 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post

I just got the Westone 4R's in the mail. I was excited too! So I open the package and attach them to my Cowon J3 to start playing music. Well, here's my initial impression:

 

I'm confused.

 

I need more time to listen to these. I can't say they're good or bad yet...but I'll post impressions after I give them some time.

 

Hm... does this IEM needs to be "burned down" overnight with pink noise ?

post #3115 of 5326

It doesn't. Your mind will need some time to get used to the sound though :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSantana View Post

 

Hm... does this IEM needs to be "burned down" overnight with pink noise ?

post #3116 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post

I just got the Westone 4R's in the mail. I was excited too! So I open the package and attach them to my Cowon J3 to start playing music. Well, here's my initial impression:

 

I'm confused.

 

I need more time to listen to these. I can't say they're good or bad yet...but I'll post impressions after I give them some time.

I felt the same when I first received mine.  After doing some tip rolling and getting a good fit, I started to enjoy them quite a bit.  

post #3117 of 5326

Got my Westone 4 as an upgrade to my Shure SE425 for almost 2 months now, absolutely fantastic IEM.

 

feeling like write a brief review for them.

 

Let's say something I don't like about Westone 4 first

 

1. Build quality wise, the shell not exactly flimsy but compare to SE425, they seems to be easier to break overtime.

2. the price.

3. cable too short for my taste

4. vocal kind of recessed in W4, just a hair (some eq boost in around 2-3kHz can rectify)

5. not as revealing as SE425 in terms of bad mixes, like overly compressed mixes still sound very good in Westone 4(can be good for solely listening pleasure)

 

 

 

About the things I like.

1. The clarity is crazy good, excellent instruments seperation, the only IEM I've tried has better clarity was ER4(but I hate ER4, they are like IEM version of Yamaha NS-10m)

2. great frequency extension as oppose to SE425

3. No annoying high-mid spike with triple flange tip (with those comply foam tip, those high-mid spike still exist but much much better than SE425)

4. comfortable wearing cables

5. Low end go quite deep but very well controlled, though still a little hyped at around 60-80Hz, the low end sound egged but totally acceptable and added flavor for casual listening pleasure.

6. the high end brought out all the sizzles but not exactly hot, great for hours of listening

7. dead quiet, hiss virtually doesn't exist in W4

 

 

 

Verdict:

Excellent IEM for listening pleasure, not so good IEM for critical listening/mix check

Westone 4 can satisfy almost all genre of music, except maybe some club head will find them lack of bass quantity, qualities are there but just not enough weight for bass heads.

Westone 4 also not the best IEM for the people who like vocal centric/revealing sound signature(on the other hand SE425 are excellent for those people)

 

if you are not those people, Westone 4 absolutely one of the best(if not the best) universal IEM that can adapt to the most music genre money can buy.


Edited by darkinners - 8/28/12 at 6:39am
post #3118 of 5326
@unfie

that is the w4's character.. you don't know if you'll like them or not.. because they do nothing wrong.. and u couldn't hate them either rolleyes.gif


@JohnSantana

320kbps is already fine with the w4
post #3119 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by soullinker20 View Post

@unfie
that is the w4's character.. you don't know if you'll like them or not.. because they do nothing wrong.. and u couldn't hate them either rolleyes.gif
@JohnSantana
320kbps is already fine with the w4

 

Thanks for the clarification man !

post #3120 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by soullinker20 View Post

@JohnSantana
320kbps is already fine with the w4


Totally agree, 320kbps is more than enough =)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)