Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 205

post #3061 of 5409
Please explain?
post #3062 of 5409

Well, Black Friday sales tend to go to 25% off. Normal sales like right now are only 15%. It may not seem a lot, but 10% is a big chunk off a $500 IEM. Actually, it's only $50 difference. I dun count gud. I'm starting to get antsy..might just get them now.


Edited by Unfie - 8/21/12 at 10:27pm
post #3063 of 5409

I see... Who's got them 15% off... Best I've seen is 10%.
 

post #3064 of 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfie View Post

Well, Black Friday sales tend to go to 25% off. Normal sales like right now are only 15%. It may not seem a lot, but 10% is a big chunk off a $500 IEM. Actually, it's only $50 difference. I dun count gud. I'm starting to get antsy..might just get them now.


$50 is still a lot yo ;), you can get a FiiO E5 or 6 with that cash. 

post #3065 of 5409
Decided to give the W4Rs a go. Putting the $50 saving off one of Amazon's retailers towards a Fiio E17 (already have a E6). Couldn't wait for Black Friday either. Doubt Amazon would send them to Aus... Something's they won't export and W4s have been one of them, but I'm visiting my daughter in NY next weekend so getting them sent to her.

Might still get a backup set of TF10s. I did so like them. And then sell the set that gets the least use when I've A/B/Ced the three of them.

Cheers
post #3066 of 5409

Do I need to buy an amp for Westone 4 IEM ?

 

I'm currently interested in using it for my daily commute with my iPhone 4S

post #3067 of 5409
Can't comment on the Shure but I recently bought, then returned, the TF10’s and am now listening to the W4R's. Coming from Etymotic the TF10 low end was welcome but I found the mids too recessed and highs too shrill. Very scooped. Vocals too far back in the mix. I'm enjoying the Westone's so far and find a better balance across the board. Still not as mid forward as the Ety's but better than the TF10’s. much nicer treble than the TF's to my ears. Took some experimenting with the tips, though. The tri-flanges we're pretty bad but the large gray buttons are nice as are the white "bullets". Next step I think will be UM56 custom tips.

Ultimately depends on what and you're looking for.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post

I'm looking for advice from W4 owners who have or had Shure SE535s and or TF10s. I currently have 535s and had TF10s which I lost. They had an ES cable transplant which made them much more user friendly and maybe a slightly less v shape sound. Anyway, I want to replace the lost TF10s and can't decide whether to straight out replace them like for like or purchase W4Rs. At this price point I will much prefer replaceable cables. I have a few lower end IEMs like Ety HF3 and Yamaha EPH-100. I have large canals and I could only get a good seal with large Shure olives on the HF3 but they are just tad too big and I can't wear them for long. The EPHs are surprisingly good but don't isolate too well and lack enough treble without EQ to my taste. Neither of these are good enough to satisfy my listening.
So help me folks. Is the W4 a big step up from the SE535? Personally, I find the 535s comfortable and with a SQ that suits my music preferences which cover classic bands like Dire Straits & Pink Floyd, singers like Phil Collins, Van Morrison, Clapton and Cohen, through to smooth Jazz and classical music. Although I preferred the SQ of the 535s, I could use the TF10s with comply tips and could wear them for hours. I had a very good seal with them. Ironically the Shures don't seal at all with complys so I have to use olives. And because the olives are just that tad large, I want another IEM not too different to the 535s and it seems whatever I choose should be better than what I have now. And from all the reviews and comments, the W4s might be the way to go.
What should I buy?
post #3068 of 5409

I use the W4 amped and unamped without noticing much/any of a difference.  My portable player is the Sansa Clip+.  If I were you I wouldn't add an amp to a portable setup using the W4's.  They're easy to drive and designed to work well with portable players like the iPhone.

post #3069 of 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS242 View Post

I use the W4 amped and unamped without noticing much/any of a difference.  My portable player is the Sansa Clip+.  If I were you I wouldn't add an amp to a portable setup using the W4's.  They're easy to drive and designed to work well with portable players like the iPhone.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was considering between using Fiio E1 for portability with my iPhone 4S or not using it at all.

 

because previously I was tempted to buy Fiio E6 or E7 but it such a hassle to bring it everywhere I go commute.

post #3070 of 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSantana View Post

Do I need to buy an amp for Westone 4 IEM ?

 

I'm currently interested in using it for my daily commute with my iPhone 4S


No, the iPhone 4S will do it's job well for it. But buying an amp can increase the sound quality, depending on the amp you buy. 

post #3071 of 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post


No, the iPhone 4S will do it's job well for it. But buying an amp can increase the sound quality, depending on the amp you buy. 

Do portable amps have bass and treble adjustments?
I've been looking and have seen overall gain and
of course volumne.
post #3072 of 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpfe8851 View Post

I see... Who's got them 15% off... Best I've seen is 10%.
 

 

Earphonesolutions has 20% off right now with coupon code CLASS .

post #3073 of 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSantana View Post

Thanks for the suggestion, I was considering between using Fiio E1 for portability with my iPhone 4S or not using it at all.

 

because previously I was tempted to buy Fiio E6 or E7 but it such a hassle to bring it everywhere I go commute.

 

I wouldn't waste your time with an amp for that setup, especially if you're commuting a lot and worried about your rig being a hassle.  The W4 is a great IEM and I'm more than happy with just my Clip+. 

post #3074 of 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraugie View Post


Do portable amps have bass and treble adjustments?
I've been looking and have seen overall gain and
of course volumne.

Some do.  The FiiO E11 has bass boost settings.  I believe the Arrow 4G has bass and treble boost settings. The bass boost in the E11 is there, but doesn't get as huge as something like the DigiZoid ZO.

post #3075 of 5409

try the 4s with the new retina mbp. You'll notice how strong the bass actually is ! and good sound stage as well. Sound's much bigger than on a IPC and even IPC+SOLO+Continental/SR71... though detail wise the combo sounds more revealing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)