Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 202

post #3016 of 5411
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

@Flysweep, try the new Earsonics biflanges.  They are much more comfortable, to me, than the earportz torture devices.  I found on the W4, the wider the sound bore of the tip, the better the midrange/treble response.  I also found some benefits with adding resistance, so that's something to play with as well.  Congrats and have fun.

 

Perfect, thanks sgs.. this is exactly what I needed to know.  I gravitated toward the "conical," white single flange tip because it provided the best midrange & treble presentation... and you know what, that's where I've seen the greatest fluctuation in sound when tip rolling.  Bass presence has never been an issue (as long as you had a good seal), but certain tips (i.e. the bulbous, gray tips) did tend to warm up the sound (lower mids) excessively, smear the presentation, or force the mids unnaturally forward (i.e. the opaque triple flange with the long stem).  I've got a clear triple flange silicone tip (which UM sent me, for some reason, along with a Miracle refit) which is so comfortable, but again, pushed the mids too forward for my tastes.

 

The smaller comply tips (in stock form, I haven't trimmed the overhang yet) have also worked surprisingly well in providing excellent balance between the bass, mids & (notably, the) treble.

 

For clarification, you're talking about these, yes?


Edited by FlySweep - 7/28/12 at 11:45am
post #3017 of 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

 

Perfect, thanks sgs.. this is exactly what I needed to know.  I gravitated toward the "conical," white single flange tip because it provided the best midrange & treble presentation... and you know what, that's where I've seen the greatest fluctuation in sound when tip rolling.  Bass presence has never been an issue (as long as you had a good seal), but certain tips (i.e. the bulbous, gray tips) did tend to warm up the sound (lower mids) excessively, smear the presentation, or force the mids unnaturally forward (i.e. the opaque triple flange with the long stem).  I've got a clear triple flange silicone tip (which UM sent me, for some reason, along with a Miracle refit) which is so comfortable, but again, pushed the mids too forward for my tastes.

 

The smaller comply tips (in stock form, I haven't trimmed the overhang yet) have also worked surprisingly well in providing excellent balance between the bass, mids & (notably, the) treble.

 

For clarification, you're talking about these, yes?

 

 

That's it.  I bought directly from Earsonics but looks like SoundEarphones has started carrying them too:

http://www.soundearphones.com/collections/earphone-accessories/products/earsonics-replacement-silicon-tips-3-pairs

post #3018 of 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

 

 

That's it.  I bought directly from Earsonics but looks like SoundEarphones has started carrying them too:

http://www.soundearphones.com/collections/earphone-accessories/products/earsonics-replacement-silicon-tips-3-pairs

i also got those biflanges that came with my sm3.. too bad it won't give me a seal.. so I gave it away in exchange for a comply

 

I use the largest comply to my w4 and sm3. the largest gray silicon that came with the w4r makes the w4 very laid back and highs are already piercing for me.. the largest comply works very well with it becoming more intimate and detailed.. whilst on the sm3, I found out the gray silicon of the w4 had better results than the complys

post #3019 of 5411

recently I have tried to equalize my w4R according to this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

 

I think w4R is a little veiled for me and bass quantity is a little more than what I want.

I already use large shure olives (foam tips)

please share your experiences in equalizing the w4 with me.

 

in my trying to find my resonance peak, I can say my resonance peak is somewhere between 4200-4300 (it is some odd eek.gif)

post #3020 of 5411

I find the medium comply's to be ideal.

post #3021 of 5411

While awaiting the SM3 dual flanges to arrive, I got restless with the white, single flange tips.. with which the W4 sounds best to me (most neutral).  But the fit is a PIA (well, "pain in the ear", more appropriately).  Conversely, the gray, single flange offers the most comfortable fit (arguably the most comfortable tip I've ever used, next to the Auveo tips on the FXD80) but I found it to warm up the sound excessively and recess the treble... I suspected this coloration was due to the gray, single flange tips being quite narrow at the bore opening.. more narrow than the W4's plastic nozzle diameter.. so it muffled the sound perhaps.  What to do?

 

I busted out the Dremel, found a suitably wide drill bit, and carefully widened the nozzle opening about 3/4 of the way down.  Here's a picture of the nozzle opening of the unaltered, gray, single flange tip:

 

700

 

Now, here's how it looks after I widened it:

 

700

 

 

My apologies for taking the two photos at slightly different distances.  You might have to look closely (click on the photos to enlarge them).. but you'll notice the silicone 'ring' surrounding the unaltered flange's nozzle opening is noticeably thinner on the modded tip's opening (due to the widening of the bore/opening).

 

The resulting sound was exactly what I had hoped for.. very close, if not identical, to what the white, single flange offers.  But now, with the excellent comfort of the gray tips.  I'll A/B both the white & gray, single flange tips with the SM3 double-flange tips that should arrive before the weekend, too.

 

I also used a 75 ohm impedance adapter that I've had for some time with the W4 & really liked the sound: noticeably more neutral and better overall clarity.  The midbass hump is appreciably tamed back, bass tightens as a whole.. the mids become more transparent & neutral.. while the treble gains some nice presence & air.  75 ohms might be a little much, so I'm thinking about trying out a ~50 ohm adapter.


Edited by FlySweep - 8/9/12 at 1:42pm
post #3022 of 5411

^  Excellent mod, excellent job! Impeccable.

post #3023 of 5411
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

^  Excellent mod, excellent job! Impeccable.

 

Thanks.. it's a very easy mod.. provided you've got a steady hand and are mindful of choosing a drill bit that isn't too wide.  Thankfully, the silicone 'sleeve' (which hugs the W4's nozzle) is quite thick, so there's certainly some play there.  I went quite conservative on the drill bit choice, but had to quickly move up to use one of the wider ones to appreciably open the bore.

 

Obviously, those who intend to sell the W4 down the line with all tips in mint condition should be advised this is 'non-reversible.'  But frankly, I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would prefer the muffled, overly warm sound of the stock, gray tips to these slightly modded ones.  The W4's house sound remains very much in tact, so this isn't altering it in some wild manner, whatsoever.  What this mod does is bring better balance and neutrality to the W4.  If you're like me, you found the midbass hump more than a little distracting and forward.. this mod does a nice job trimming it back a bit (not entirely, but enough to satisfy me, and still keep that W4 sound).

post #3024 of 5411

so I just bought jupiterknight's Westone W4Rs. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621704/westone-w4-r-modded-fiio-e6-amp

I'm honestly estatic. I just got a job, and i'm spending my full time earnings for the first month on purely headphones and headphone equipment. I'm in that building, 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, so I thought I better enjoy my damn time. I just bought Beyers DT1350s, and own Grados SR225i. I bought the beyers because my Grados leaked sound and when i noticed how nice they are when I got them, i realized I didn't want to bring them to work, so I bought Bower and Wilkins C5s on ebay because I keep hearing people comparing them to the ie8s and alot of people owned them, and noticed reviews and got a quick refund this morning, then i saw jupiterknight posting to sell his westone w4r, and i thought $310 was alot, well I diddnt need the fiio e6 so i asked to buy them for $290, he went down on the price and it was sold... Ive had shure e-415s back in high school like 4 years ago, and I loved them, I think I will love these too. So what do you guys love about your westone 4s, like are they pretty hard to drive?, because I just bought 3 channel portable amp just in case. Just talking about it makes me feel like a kid again ( you know when you get those new toys)


Edited by crossjeremiah - 8/9/12 at 2:36pm
post #3025 of 5411

So, is this worth the upgrade from UM3X to these? Might buy these :) 

post #3026 of 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obstinate View Post

So, is this worth the upgrade from UM3X to these? Might buy these :) 

 

Depends what you like. I find I prefer the W4's more restrained mid bass, extended bass and extended treble but lots of people really like the UM3X. Personally, the W4 is tough to beat.

post #3027 of 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

While awaiting the SM3 dual flanges to arrive, I got restless with the white, single flange tips.. with which the W4 sounds best to me (most neutral).  But the fit is a PIA (well, "pain in the ear", more appropriately).  Conversely, the gray, single flange offers the most comfortable fit (arguably the most comfortable tip I've ever used, next to the Auveo tips on the FXD80) but I found it to warm up the sound excessively and recess the treble... I suspected this coloration was due to the gray, single flange tips being quite narrow at the bore opening.. more narrow than the W4's plastic nozzle diameter.. so it muffled the sound perhaps.  What to do?

 

I busted out the Dremel, found a suitably wide drill bit, and carefully widened the nozzle opening about 3/4 of the way down.  Here's a picture of the nozzle opening of the unaltered, gray, single flange tip:

 

700

 

Now, here's how it looks after I widened it:

 

700

 

 

My apologies for taking the two photos at slightly different distances.  You might have to look closely (click on the photos to enlarge them).. but you'll notice the silicone 'ring' surrounding the unaltered flange's nozzle opening is noticeably thinner on the modded tip's opening (due to the widening of the bore/opening).

 

The resulting sound was exactly what I had hoped for.. very close, if not identical, to what the white, single flange offers.  But now, with the excellent comfort of the gray tips.  I'll A/B both the white & gray, single flange tips with the SM3 double-flange tips that should arrive before the weekend, too.

 

I also used a 75 ohm impedance adapter that I've had for some time with the W4 & really liked the sound: noticeably more neutral and better overall clarity.  The midbass hump is appreciably tamed back, bass tightens as a whole.. the mids become more transparent & neutral.. while the treble gains some nice presence & air.  75 ohms might be a little much, so I'm thinking about trying out a ~50 ohm adapter.


Nice mod! Got to agree the white translucent tips sound the best but are torture tips...

The ohm adapter thing sounds very interesting...

post #3028 of 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obstinate View Post

So, is this worth the upgrade from UM3X to these? Might buy these :) 


It depends on how you look at it, there are people who prefer the UM3x more and think the UM3x are an upgrade over the W4 instead. However I beg the differ, the smoother, less recessed treble, coupled with cleaner bass and a wider soundstage makes me prefer the W4 over the UM3x. Although it is undeniable that the UM3x has better separation and perhaps mids.

post #3029 of 5411
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossjeremiah View Post

so I just bought jupiterknight's Westone W4Rs. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621704/westone-w4-r-modded-fiio-e6-amp

I'm honestly estatic. I just got a job, and i'm spending my full time earnings for the first month on purely headphones and headphone equipment. I'm in that building, 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, so I thought I better enjoy my damn time. I just bought Beyers DT1350s, and own Grados SR225i. I bought the beyers because my Grados leaked sound and when i noticed how nice they are when I got them, i realized I didn't want to bring them to work, so I bought Bower and Wilkins C5s on ebay because I keep hearing people comparing them to the ie8s and alot of people owned them, and noticed reviews and got a quick refund this morning, then i saw jupiterknight posting to sell his westone w4r, and i thought $310 was alot, well I diddnt need the fiio e6 so i asked to buy them for $290, he went down on the price and it was sold... Ive had shure e-415s back in high school like 4 years ago, and I loved them, I think I will love these too. So what do you guys love about your westone 4s, like are they pretty hard to drive?, because I just bought 3 channel portable amp just in case. Just talking about it makes me feel like a kid again ( you know when you get those new toys)

 


Just need a lineout with < 1 Ohm to drive them. Iphone 4 or Fiio Amps will do for example.

 

I prefer my W4 over my brothers um3x. They are just perfectly balanced, nothing too much emphasized. Soundstage is wider which  makes it more musical for me than the um3x.

post #3030 of 5411

For me, it is very clear that W4 is much more detail than the UM3x. The background details are more forward and stronger appearance than the UM3x even the instruments are congested. 

 

More deep extension.. wider sound stages.. Good in every aspects. I feel ear fatigued after long period listening to UM3x.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)