Thanks for replies... now I just have to decide between the Westone 4 and the Sony EX1000.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Limitations of IEMs, or are these just really bad? Last post on 3/22/14 at 2:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Preference over Westone's Universal IEMs Last post on 1/10/13 at 3:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Mixing and Listening? Last post on 10/1/12 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/3/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Integrated amplifiers. We all know what they are, right? The classic definition involves having a power amplifier and a preamplifier integrated into the same chassis. Hence the name. It...
Will keep this review short but these are my impressions after a week of listening to a range of FLAC and a few HD files of every main genre of music: Sources used: FiiO X5 Sony...
Take the well received Akg K545, and add 50 dollars for a mic, amp, nfc, battery and Bluetooth capability. Is it worth it? TLDR, if you don’t have an amp and/or want bluetooth, put this in your top...
This is my first review here. Previously owned Beyerdynamic DT 770 , Audio-Technica m20, Sennheiser Momentum on-ear. Stil have a pair of AKG k450. I exchanged Sennheiser Momentum on-ear for those...
Let’s get started :- This time , BRAINWAVZ have a new earphone seemingly a subordinate of S5 , it seems like people at brainwavz are serious about making durable and value efficient...
Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 200post #2986 of 53937/22/12 at 2:43pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2987 of 53937/22/12 at 3:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by shane55
Hey james444... the W4's are growing on me. Especially with my home rig, they are actually very nice.
I've listened to nothing else since I bought these and the combination of very slight break-in, and becoming acustomed to the sound is having positive results.
So... getting accustomed to the dark signature?post #2988 of 53937/22/12 at 4:14pm
I found that it goes away with time :p No joking at all really. The 4Rs have brightened up a bit for me.post #2989 of 53937/22/12 at 6:26pm
That's why Westone fans are "fans".
I love the Westone house sound. It's warm and non fatiguingpost #2990 of 53937/22/12 at 8:06pmQuote:
To me, any BA with more than 2 drivers is fatiguing - SE535, XBA3, XBA4, etc; With the exception of TF10.
Now that I have W4r, it is pretty fatiguing for me. It is trying too hard to make the sound more well rounded - by adding more treble and making bass tighter and such. All I can think about listening to my W4R is how nice the Westone sound would be without those extra drivers muddling things up. I am wishing I had gotten a W1 or UM1 instead. My W4R may just end up in the for-sale section or on eBay. Meh.post #2991 of 53937/22/12 at 10:20pm
Music_4321, yes, of course I 'blame' you too...
While somewhat being 'accustomed' to the sound of the W4, I wouldn't call them dark. The SM3 was dark.
No fatigue here. Not after hours of listening. But all my source files are uncompressed or lossless... and usually of good quality.
I too feel that these have changed. My key indicator sounds and music have a distinctly greater resolution in the upper mids than when first played. I go back to those very well known sounds every so often to check... And they have changed, and for the better.
I'll know just how 'accustomed' I've become when I put the DBA-02 in for the first time. Heheheheh...post #2992 of 53937/23/12 at 7:00am
I've had the W4 for a month or so now, managed to get them for £249 on the UK Amazon warehouse site, arrived in perfect condition, not sure they were even used by whoever bought them before. Wanted to get them a while back but prices here in the UK have shot up quite a bit in the last few months, W4 seem to be retailing for around £330-365.
I am loving the sound from these, dont find them dark or fatiguing. Nice detailed sound with good impact and energy for me. Prefer them over the EX1000 which I found to be too shrill at times and struggled to get a good fit with them. For me these are probably the best Iem's I've owned since my journey began, for the last 3 years I've tried lots of different iem's and always found myself going back to my IE8's but they have taken a bit of a back seat now.
Waiting for my Minerva customs to come back from repair and will see how i find the W4 compared to them.
post #2993 of 53937/23/12 at 5:29pm
Do the various & popular foam tips (I.e. Shure olives, complys, etc.) tend to muffle the W4's treble? I've seen this as a common issue using Complys (& foam tips in general) on other IEMs.post #2994 of 53937/23/12 at 6:54pmQuote:
For me personally yes, the olives to a lesser degree......my favorite tips on the W4 are the Sonypost #2995 of 53937/23/12 at 10:35pmQuote:
The Comply are all I use. All I can use, and when trimmed (the foam overhang, trimmed flat to the plastic core) they do not muffle the sound... at all. If you do not trim them they will attenuate the highs slightly. This actually is good for people who find IEM's like the B2 or DBA-02 fatiguing due to the extreme highs.
I have been doing this for many years.
The Shure olives do not attenuate the highs, even when untrimmed. I don't find them as comfortable or well-fitting as the Comply (P-series, large).post #2996 of 53937/23/12 at 11:10pmQuote:
W4s are the only IEMs in my collection that sound a bit clearer with olives than with the silicone tips I've tried, with all my other IEMs it's the exact opposite. Don't really know the reason why, but I tend to think their nozzle is too short and perhaps the soft silicone overhang (as opposed to the olives hard sound tube) is affecting the highs.post #2997 of 53937/24/12 at 7:15amQuote:
Got to agree, the 4R don't seem as dark as they are at first after some time. However going back and forth with my DBA-02MKII...
Well, I feel the strongest point of the W4 is the mids, but it is also where it slightly lacks(the veil, perhaps), more like a double-edge sword, I guess.post #2998 of 53937/24/12 at 3:46pm
I just ordered a set of Westone 4Rs for primary use when travelling with my iPhone/iPad. I will also be interested to hear how they perform when amped at home in comparison to my open over ear monitors.post #2999 of 53937/24/12 at 11:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by james444
W4s are the only IEMs in my collection that sound a bit clearer with olives than with the silicone tips I've tried, with all my other IEMs it's the exact opposite. Don't really know the reason why, but I tend to think their nozzle is too short and perhaps the soft silicone overhang (as opposed to the olives hard sound tube) is affecting the highs.
Yeah, the short nozzle has been interesting. The configuration (unlike the DBA / B2) allows the ear tips to go only so far into the ear. I have had to NOT seat the tips all the way down the nozzle as they become too short for a deep insertion and good seal.
Still experimenting. Last couple days... Shure olives. Then back to the Comply's...post #3000 of 53937/25/12 at 12:04am
Shure olives also boosted the treble a bit on my PFEs, similar short nozzle.
Shane, try a 33ohm resistor, it makes it a bit more flat, users have PMed me about it are reporting good results. Sure beats using snake oil cables.
Edited by Inks - 7/25/12 at 12:09amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › AMP for Beyerdynamics DT 990 250Ohm 9 seconds ago
- › Need help buying headphone, budget is within $100 10 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic T51p Discussion Thread 18 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 46 seconds ago
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 1 minute ago
- › COMPARISON / REVIEW (Part Deux) : A tale of two Sennheisers –... 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD700 for Sale 5 minutes ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 7 minutes ago
- › Questyle CMA800i - integrated DAC, headphone amp, and preamp by project86
- › InEar StageDiver SD-3 by Krisman
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by cs098
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by bodopopa
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by suman134
- › VSONIC GR07 by nikhilthecupid
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by mlthelasher
- › Takstar TS-671 by paal0
- › Geben iDA-1 Portable Amp/DAC for iDevices by JoeDoe
- › Fischer Audio Consonance V2 by fonzler
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)