Thanks for replies... now I just have to decide between the Westone 4 and the Sony EX1000.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - No affiliate links permitted! Last post on Today at 10:19 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 12/29/11 at 8:10am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Preference over Westone's Universal IEMs Last post on 1/10/13 at 3:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Mixing and Listening? Last post on 10/1/12 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Choosing between ATH M50 vs Philips Fidelio L1 Last post on 10/4/12 at 2:26am in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)
Edited on 12/28/12
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationEdited on 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesEdited on 3/22/12
I bought these headphones just for the fun of it, to see how they sound with all that apparently amazing bass. Well, for $50, they're ok sounding for extra bass headphones. They do have a...
Bought it some time ago, based on user reviews. Straight out of the box it seemed huge, especially compared to my old Cowon D2. Also, sound was awful. Granted, I don't have large hi-fi cans, only...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the ATH-CKN70. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The...
Introduction I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I...
I read reviews on this and I said let me try this out, for $10 I couldn't lose. This surpassed all of expectations for a $10 IEM. I am going to purchase a set for my wife, she was also blown...
Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 200post #2986 of 40917/22/12 at 2:43pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2987 of 40917/22/12 at 3:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by shane55
Hey james444... the W4's are growing on me. Especially with my home rig, they are actually very nice.
I've listened to nothing else since I bought these and the combination of very slight break-in, and becoming acustomed to the sound is having positive results.
So... getting accustomed to the dark signature?post #2988 of 40917/22/12 at 4:14pm
I found that it goes away with time :p No joking at all really. The 4Rs have brightened up a bit for me.post #2989 of 40917/22/12 at 6:26pm
That's why Westone fans are "fans".
I love the Westone house sound. It's warm and non fatiguingpost #2990 of 40917/22/12 at 8:06pmQuote:
To me, any BA with more than 2 drivers is fatiguing - SE535, XBA3, XBA4, etc; With the exception of TF10.
Now that I have W4r, it is pretty fatiguing for me. It is trying too hard to make the sound more well rounded - by adding more treble and making bass tighter and such. All I can think about listening to my W4R is how nice the Westone sound would be without those extra drivers muddling things up. I am wishing I had gotten a W1 or UM1 instead. My W4R may just end up in the for-sale section or on eBay. Meh.post #2991 of 40917/22/12 at 10:20pm
Music_4321, yes, of course I 'blame' you too...
While somewhat being 'accustomed' to the sound of the W4, I wouldn't call them dark. The SM3 was dark.
No fatigue here. Not after hours of listening. But all my source files are uncompressed or lossless... and usually of good quality.
I too feel that these have changed. My key indicator sounds and music have a distinctly greater resolution in the upper mids than when first played. I go back to those very well known sounds every so often to check... And they have changed, and for the better.
I'll know just how 'accustomed' I've become when I put the DBA-02 in for the first time. Heheheheh...post #2992 of 40917/23/12 at 7:00am
I've had the W4 for a month or so now, managed to get them for £249 on the UK Amazon warehouse site, arrived in perfect condition, not sure they were even used by whoever bought them before. Wanted to get them a while back but prices here in the UK have shot up quite a bit in the last few months, W4 seem to be retailing for around £330-365.
I am loving the sound from these, dont find them dark or fatiguing. Nice detailed sound with good impact and energy for me. Prefer them over the EX1000 which I found to be too shrill at times and struggled to get a good fit with them. For me these are probably the best Iem's I've owned since my journey began, for the last 3 years I've tried lots of different iem's and always found myself going back to my IE8's but they have taken a bit of a back seat now.
Waiting for my Minerva customs to come back from repair and will see how i find the W4 compared to them.
post #2993 of 40917/23/12 at 5:29pm
Do the various & popular foam tips (I.e. Shure olives, complys, etc.) tend to muffle the W4's treble? I've seen this as a common issue using Complys (& foam tips in general) on other IEMs.post #2994 of 40917/23/12 at 6:54pmQuote:
For me personally yes, the olives to a lesser degree......my favorite tips on the W4 are the Sonypost #2995 of 40917/23/12 at 10:35pmQuote:
The Comply are all I use. All I can use, and when trimmed (the foam overhang, trimmed flat to the plastic core) they do not muffle the sound... at all. If you do not trim them they will attenuate the highs slightly. This actually is good for people who find IEM's like the B2 or DBA-02 fatiguing due to the extreme highs.
I have been doing this for many years.
The Shure olives do not attenuate the highs, even when untrimmed. I don't find them as comfortable or well-fitting as the Comply (P-series, large).post #2996 of 40917/23/12 at 11:10pmQuote:
W4s are the only IEMs in my collection that sound a bit clearer with olives than with the silicone tips I've tried, with all my other IEMs it's the exact opposite. Don't really know the reason why, but I tend to think their nozzle is too short and perhaps the soft silicone overhang (as opposed to the olives hard sound tube) is affecting the highs.post #2997 of 40917/24/12 at 7:15amQuote:
Got to agree, the 4R don't seem as dark as they are at first after some time. However going back and forth with my DBA-02MKII...
Well, I feel the strongest point of the W4 is the mids, but it is also where it slightly lacks(the veil, perhaps), more like a double-edge sword, I guess.post #2998 of 40917/24/12 at 3:46pm
I just ordered a set of Westone 4Rs for primary use when travelling with my iPhone/iPad. I will also be interested to hear how they perform when amped at home in comparison to my open over ear monitors.post #2999 of 40917/24/12 at 11:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by james444
W4s are the only IEMs in my collection that sound a bit clearer with olives than with the silicone tips I've tried, with all my other IEMs it's the exact opposite. Don't really know the reason why, but I tend to think their nozzle is too short and perhaps the soft silicone overhang (as opposed to the olives hard sound tube) is affecting the highs.
Yeah, the short nozzle has been interesting. The configuration (unlike the DBA / B2) allows the ear tips to go only so far into the ear. I have had to NOT seat the tips all the way down the nozzle as they become too short for a deep insertion and good seal.
Still experimenting. Last couple days... Shure olives. Then back to the Comply's...post #3000 of 40917/25/12 at 12:04am
Shure olives also boosted the treble a bit on my PFEs, similar short nozzle.
Shane, try a 33ohm resistor, it makes it a bit more flat, users have PMed me about it are reporting good results. Sure beats using snake oil cables.
Edited by Inks - 7/25/12 at 12:09amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › VA / MD / DC meet - Saturday, May 25, 2013 10 seconds ago
- › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought 15 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 39 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 52 seconds ago
- › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a... 55 seconds ago
- › FiiO E11 - Impression + Information + Support 1 minute ago
- › Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x,... 1 minute ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 2 minutes ago
- › The Decware TABOO MK 111 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › audio-technica Premium Compact Inner Ear Headphones ATH-CKN70 Black... by a_recording
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe