85% of what I listen to is instrumental so that could certainly be a factor. Yes, W4 is superior with vocals.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: How do you wear yours? Last post on 10/15/13 at 8:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Limitations of IEMs, or are these just really bad? Last post on 3/22/14 at 2:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Preference over Westone's Universal IEMs Last post on 1/10/13 at 3:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for Mixing and Listening? Last post on 10/1/12 at 8:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/3/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Introduction I got these headphones around the national holiday. These came out about 2 years after I had got my K701. I was first attracted by its classy design and colour. I thought I would...
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
I have owned this headphone for 2 years and it never disappointed me. The sound quality is no need to discuss as its sound signature has been discussed multiple times in TH900 thread. This...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 95
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1412 of 53263/31/11 at 7:35pm
I realize that they're very different beasts, but any idea of what to expect if the best headphones I've heard/owned are Denon D2000s? I'm kind of unable to wear phones that go over my head/ears because I'm sensitive to things resting on my head/against my temples, which is part of why I'm going into the midrange IEM space now with the W4s (should be here within the next few days from earphonesolutions!). Will the W4s sound better than the D2000s, just different, or possibly not quite as good?post #1413 of 53263/31/11 at 9:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by rbf1138
I realize that they're very different beasts, but any idea of what to expect if the best headphones I've heard/owned are Denon D2000s? I'm kind of unable to wear phones that go over my head/ears because I'm sensitive to things resting on my head/against my temples, which is part of why I'm going into the midrange IEM space now with the W4s (should be here within the next few days from earphonesolutions!). Will the W4s sound better than the D2000s, just different, or possibly not quite as good?
I can easily imagine they'll sound better.
post #1414 of 53263/31/11 at 9:29pmpost #1415 of 53264/1/11 at 12:43am
Hi guys, just began this audio journey of mine! Stumbled onto head-fi when i was reseaching on beats by dr dre (which unknown to me, was blasphemy to the general public of head-fi ). Fast and.. i got the westone 4s a week ago! Just want to say thank you to everyone, especially HPA for his wondefully detailed reviews. Coming from ibuds, i never knew music could sound this good!post #1416 of 53264/1/11 at 12:49ampost #1417 of 53264/2/11 at 10:01ampost #1418 of 53264/2/11 at 11:01ampost #1419 of 53264/2/11 at 12:15pm
im no expert, but i did a/b these two iems before i decided on the w4s. the w4s are a bit more fun and involving. the sm3s are a bit more analytical and neutral-sounding. both are great, but it depends on your what you generally listen to. to my ears (your opinion may differ) the sm3 have a similar sound signature to the um3x. i prefer the w4s for rock and pop (e.g skid row, motley crue and lady gaga) whch makes up 80% of my music library so i went for them. my girlfriend generally listens to classical music, instrumental pieces and slower music (e.g elton john, kenny g, john lennon) so she decided to get the sm3s. they both sound great imho, but the kind of music you prefer will most likely be they key factor to your decision. im just a beginner when it comes to audio, but there are plenty of great reviewers out there. i always liked HPA's reviews, incredibly detailed and informative. here are some of his impressions on the w4.
forgot to add: probably redundant advice, but if there is a store where you can try both, bring your own music library down! helps a lot with the decision making. :)
Edited by Gerxld - 4/2/11 at 12:18pmpost #1420 of 53264/2/11 at 12:18pm
I wonder if W4 would be an upgrade for UM3X? The only two things I do not like about UM3X are tiny sound stage and rolled off highs. How W4 can be compared to UM3X in those two aspects? I also do not want to loose bass quality of UM3X.post #1421 of 53264/2/11 at 12:26pmQuote:
The W4 fixes all these downfalls of the UM3x. The mids are not as forward in the W4 though, but they are more refined IMO. The bass of the W4, while not having as much quantity, is more refined as well and much more controlled.
Edited by EraserXIV - 4/2/11 at 12:29pmpost #1422 of 53264/2/11 at 12:45pm
I see that you had SM3 in the past as well as UM3X. How is SM3 comparing to W4? If you wanted to step from UM3X why would you prefer W4 vs SM3? Thanks!
Quote:post #1423 of 53264/2/11 at 2:01pmReceived mine yesterday and the funny thing is, when I first stuck them in I was really disappointed! There is no WOW factor but what you find over some listening hours is that they are supremely balanced and neutral. No one aspect of the sound spectrum over powers the other. These are extremely detailed and smooth.
Bass is well textured and controlled but could use a bit more sub bass presence. Mids are perfect for me. Just a bit forward and liquid. Treble is amazingly extended without a hint of fatigue. Somehow they achieve great detail while being smooth. Very impressive. The more you listen the better they seemingly get.
What is up with Westone putting this horribly short nozzle on their flagship? It makes it very tip dependant and none of the stock tips work. Many are using the olives, which are second best for me. The best are the old Shure e2c black soft flex sleeves with a large sound hole. You have to mod them to fit, using an olive core but completely worth it. Bass is better than the olives without obscuring any high end detail.
edit: Just want to say a big thank you to Earphone Solutions for their upgrade policy and outstanding customer service.
Edited by shotgunshane - 4/2/11 at 3:19pmpost #1424 of 53264/2/11 at 3:40pmQuote:
It depends on your preferences. The SM3 is much thicker and more mid/bass centric than the W4. The W4 is very balanced in comparison. The SM3 is a bit more engaging and upfront ("musical?") while the W4 is more of a do-nothing-wrong, perfectly balanced IEM. It's not to say the W4 is boring though, it is far from it, the SM3 just seems more exciting in comparison.
I had some previous thoughts posted here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/544356/some-musical-musings-re262-sm3-w4-comparisons-and-impressionspost #1425 of 53264/2/11 at 3:54pm
I wanted to say that the more I listen to the W4 the more I'm impressed. I don't know about the whole 'burn in' argument but either my ears are getting better with the nuances of the W4 or they do burn-in a bit. I'm really impressed, especially since I've been comparing other great canalphones like the RE0. The RE0 is an amazing canalphone for $80, but as amazing as it's details are the W4 really blows it out of the water, which might be expected for the price difference of $370 but in my opinion is absolutely worth the extra cash.
THE W4s ROCK! (and jam session, jazz session, string quartet, etc, etc.)Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 38 seconds ago
- › DC Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, November 1, 2014 41 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 48 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 56 seconds ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Naim DAC-V1 vs... 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Lossless vs 128kbps mp3 vs 320kbps mp3 blind test 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by QBoQBo
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)