Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) - Page 8

post #106 of 5326

WAR! WAR! WAR! I HAVE MORE DRIVERS THAN YOU! MORE IS BETTER! THEY TOLD ME THAT IN BUSINESS 101! biggrin.gif

post #107 of 5326

I wasn't suggesting anything!....i was just saying, the price isn't as absurd as we may think because top tier universal IEM's generally go between the $200 and $500

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post

What is this, IEM Driver War? Don't tell me it's the Core Wars all over again (Intel vs. AMD).

post #108 of 5326

Well, take some time and consider this: Westone just officially launched the W4. Jays, on the other hand, hasn't given a peep for a while now. And if the whole Logitech "nothing higher than the Triple.Fi" thing is true, that leaves us Shure. And the SE535 being relatively new (won't get upgraded/replaced in a while), won't the W4 be at the top of the BA-IEM pyramid for quite a while? Then let's say Jays release the x-jays, while Shure, seeing all this, makes a "SE645" to correspond to their nomenclature system, is that escalation or not? I know, we're (pseudo-)audiophiles and we are not that gullible (coughcablescough), but the whole "more is better" mentality stays. Look at them custom IEMs: JH13's, JH16's, UE10, 11 and 18. Seriously I swear I haven't seen a UE7 or a JH10x3 here on Head-Fi, because people with that amount of cash will probably just save a bit more and get the one with the most cores (drivers).

/rant

post #109 of 5326

You are right. The products with more usually do sound better, but not by the margin you would think. However, I have hope because of the recent surge in interest in the JH5 and the 1964 ears.

post #110 of 5326
Westone really hasn't launch any thing yet. They just 'announced' W4, much like JAYS announced x-JAYS a few months ago (and yes, x-JAYS picture has been leaked a while ago as well). As for drivers war, well it has been started quite a while ago by the custom, so that's noting new there. Just because some manufacturers decided to put more drivers into their IEM doesn't mean we will have to buy it, it will be significantly better than other, or worth the extra money. Time will tell. For the record, I don't particularly like the W3 and find it a lesser sounding product than UM3X. I do hope W4 can be more refined than W3, more drivers or not.
post #111 of 5326

A bit disappointed, i was expecting dual mid drivers or sth, given the big mid bass bump in westone 3. 

post #112 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

and yes, x-JAYS picture has been leaked a while ago as well.



Link?

post #113 of 5326

I'm not too bothered about the arrangement of the drivers tbh, it's a new flagship iem from westone so i'm just hoping they'll have put work into it, magic will have happened somewhere along the route and it will sound fantastic..

 

(although the cables point is very valid)

post #114 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD1975 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

and yes, x-JAYS picture has been leaked a while ago as well.



Link?


I posted this in August.
post #115 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

I posted this in August.



Oh, okay. I've seen that pic before but it's just a Photoshop job rather than an actual photo. Westone already have photos of the Westone 4, and their CEO is obviously already using some demo versions, so to me it looks like they're much closer to reaching the market than the x-Jays.


Edited by TCD1975 - 12/16/10 at 8:10am
post #116 of 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD1975 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

I posted this in August.



Oh, okay. I've seen that pic before but it's just a Photoshop job rather than an actual photo. Westone already have photos of the Westone 4, and their CEO is obviously already using some demo versions, so to me it looks like they're much closer to reaching the market than the x-Jays.


Actually if you read a few posts before that post of mine, you will find a link to Soundcat website which they have seen the demo already. Anyway, it is not a pissing contest between who has the demo unit in place, not even whether Westone or JAYS can really beat the other guy or not. I'll rather see a company take the time to develop a good product that rush through the process, won't you say so? wink.gif
post #117 of 5326



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD1975 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

I posted this in August.



Oh, okay. I've seen that pic before but it's just a Photoshop job rather than an actual photo. Westone already have photos of the Westone 4, and their CEO is obviously already using some demo versions, so to me it looks like they're much closer to reaching the market than the x-Jays.


There are prototypes/demo versions of the x-Jays, I had a listen to one of them a week ago.
 

post #118 of 5326


And? How did it sound? What did you like (not like) about it?? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD1975 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

I posted this in August.



Oh, okay. I've seen that pic before but it's just a Photoshop job rather than an actual photo. Westone already have photos of the Westone 4, and their CEO is obviously already using some demo versions, so to me it looks like they're much closer to reaching the market than the x-Jays.


There are prototypes/demo versions of the x-Jays, I had a listen to one of them a week ago.
 

post #119 of 5326
post #120 of 5326

Thanks @ mp3.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)