or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread - Page 382

post #5716 of 5832

Ok. Thanks! 

 

GO DUCKS!

post #5717 of 5832

Hey guys... I just received my Ultrasone Pro 900's from an Amazon marketplace seller and... I think something might be wrong with them.

 

The highs are harsh. Like... bone-shattering harsh. For reference I own Beyerdynamic DT990's (which are known for very harsh treble) and these highs are at least twice as annoying. Also... there's bass... but nothing big or overpowering like I hear everyone saying.

 

I'm using an Audioquest Dragonfly but I've also tried using these cans with a Little Dot Mkiii and straight from audio jacks. 

Right now, I almost can't bear to crank up the volume because the highs are so harsh. Is this normal? Will they burn in? Or should I return them?

post #5718 of 5832

That was my experience at first too. I put them on a Fiio E17 DAC and eqd the trable down a touch which helped. The real thing for me though was that after breaking them in with man many hours or playtime they got less harsh and more bassy. I would give them a thorough break in before deciding completely. Also I put a piece of tape over the middle hole inside the earpiece under the ear cover. This helped to subdue the highs a bit. Of all this the burn in time seemed to make the biggest difference for me. 

 

Cheers

post #5719 of 5832
Quote:
Originally Posted by fx101 View Post

Hey guys... I just received my Ultrasone Pro 900's from an Amazon marketplace seller and... I think something might be wrong with them.

The highs are harsh. Like... bone-shattering harsh. For reference I own Beyerdynamic DT990's (which are known for very harsh treble) and these highs are at least twice as annoying. Also... there's bass... but nothing big or overpowering like I hear everyone saying.

I'm using an Audioquest Dragonfly but I've also tried using these cans with a Little Dot Mkiii and straight from audio jacks. 


Right now, I almost can't bear to crank up the volume because the highs are so harsh. Is this normal? Will they burn in? Or should I return them?
Try wearing the phones so that the back of the cups are resting against the back of your ears. The great thing about the Pro900 is that you can easily change the sound by positioning the cups in different ways. I'm not aure if this is the Pro-Logic at work but I really like this. If you move it in the opposute direction, you increase the highs and make the sound more forward.
post #5720 of 5832

Well guys, I gave them a 24 hour burn in and... if there is proof that burn-in is real then this is it. These are completely different headphones. I know for a fact it's not just my ears either... the difference is night and day. There's still some sibilance but the sound is smoother and the bass has come out of hiding. Now I get why people call these bass cannons... WOW. It's not a boomy 'ghetto blaster' bass, but a really rich and crispy bass. 

 

I have a feeling the guy I got these from bought them, listened to them for an hour, and concluded they were horrible sounding pieces of crap. 

 

Can't wait to kees mod them and see how they sound 100 hours from now. 

post #5721 of 5832
Just get mine from amazon.
New with Fostex HPA8 totally crushed in term of sound by Audio-technica ATH-AT1000x frown.gif
start to burn it....
Edited by alexst - 1/12/14 at 6:42am
post #5722 of 5832
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexst View Post

Just get mine from amazon.
New with Fostex HPA8 totally crushed in term of sound by Audio-technica ATH-AT1000x frown.gif
start to burn it....

Yep, it will sound *terrible* right out of the box... painful highs and boomy lows. Worse than Apple earbuds.

 

Give them a minimum of 100 hours burn in before making a decision. The sound will improve *dramatically* in that timeframe.

post #5723 of 5832
Yes exactly - "Worse than Apple earbuds", some members recommend up to 400 hrs of burn confused_face(1).gif
but even now i can see a huge hidden potential ph34r.gif ....
post #5724 of 5832

These were the headphones that proved burn-in to me. I had the same exact experience as you. I threw a pillow over them and played a pink noise track constantly. They eventually tighten up and smooth out. Even still I modded mine slightly to remove a little bass. I thought they were gonna give me a concussion.

post #5725 of 5832
thank you guys for support smily_headphones1.gif
now after 48+ hours of burn with isotek track 2 it sounds lightly better, but female vocal is still horrible...

Gowry how long did you burn you headphones?
Edited by alexst - 1/14/14 at 5:58am
post #5726 of 5832
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexst View Post

thank you guys for support smily_headphones1.gif
now after 48+ hours of burn with isotek track 2 it sounds lightly better, but female vocal is still horrible...

Gowry how long did you burn you headphones?

It seems like 48 hours had done me quite a bit of good. I don't really remember, though. I remember thinking they were a bit stubborn, so I just let them run whenever I was away for a while.

post #5727 of 5832
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexst View Post

thank you guys for support smily_headphones1.gif
now after 48+ hours of burn with isotek track 2 it sounds lightly better, but female vocal is still horrible...

Gowry how long did you burn you headphones?


I don't typically believe in "burn in" but these headphones need the driver "exercised" for well over a hundred hours from my work with them to sound good.  Every night I put them in the garage cranking a CD of Rush just slightly above listening level (OK, a lot above listening level) for two weeks and it worked. 

post #5728 of 5832
seems like it will be long way to "clear" sound popcorn.gif
post #5729 of 5832

I second what's been said.

 

Burn in is important! Also, positioning so the back of the cups touch the back of the ears as suggested by Rayzilla helps, and this is how I wear mine.

 

Lastly, giving it proper amplification helps the sound for sure. Some people think these don't require it, but they do. It makes them much better and tighter in the bass and overall sound.

post #5730 of 5832
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerk View Post

I second what's been said.

Burn in is important! Also, positioning so the back of the cups touch the back of the ears as suggested by Rayzilla helps, and this is how I wear mine.

Lastly, giving it proper amplification helps the sound for sure. Some people think these don't require it, but they do. It makes them much better and tighter in the bass and overall sound.
+1 Well summarized.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread