Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread - Page 364

post #5446 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


The PROline headphones, and the HFI-2400, use a threaded 1/8" connector.

And I'd be somewhat suspicious of the amp blowing up your cans - I've hotplugged headphones for years with no adverse effects; I don't suggest it as general practice, but with a good amplifier it shouldn't mean anything blows up...ph34r.gif

You mean you've pulled out the mini-plug at the headphone end (not at the amp end) while they were playing and then plugged it back in? That's exactly how I blew up the right speaker in my Q40s. Heard a little "pop" and that was that. I suppose it could have been a coincidence, but I've never had the nerve to try it again. Just a word to the wise... wink.gif


Edited by bareyb - 3/28/13 at 4:20pm
post #5447 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

You mean you've pulled out the mini-plug at the headphone end (not at the amp end) while they were playing and then plugged it back in? That's exactly how I blew up the right speaker in my Q40s. Heard a little "pop" and that was that. I suppose it could have been a coincidence, but I've never had the nerve to try it again. Just a word to the wise... wink.gif

Yep, on a few headphones actually. There's no difference which end you're disconnecting. I don't suggest doing this; best practice is to turn the volume of the amplifier down before unplugging, but I've yet to kill a headphone by hotplugging them - most of my devices are relay protected though, and those that aren't, aren't cheap/unstable...ph34r.gif
post #5448 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


Yep, on a few headphones actually. There's no difference which end you're disconnecting. I don't suggest doing this; best practice is to turn the volume of the amplifier down before unplugging, but I've yet to kill a headphone by hotplugging them - most of my devices are relay protected though, and those that aren't, aren't cheap/unstable...ph34r.gif

Good to know... Thanks 

post #5449 of 5820

I had the PRO 900s but sent them back in favor of the HFI 780s. I found the high frequencies to be just too piercing on the 900s...honestly I'm not sure how people can stand it. I listen to a lot of metal, and the 900s really brought of the "hiss" in all the cymbal crashes. I believe that's called "sibilance." 

 

My only complaint is that the 900s were more comfortable than the 780s are...which is why I have a set of PRO 750s coming today. I'm hoping they have the comfort of the 900s with the mellower sound of the HFI 780s. We shall see.

 
post #5450 of 5820

Hey guys, it's been a while. Just wanted to update you. My PRO 900 came back from Ultrasone a month ago, and I'm now completely satisfied with them! No distortion or clipping whatsoever at normal listening levels anymore. I even bought a HifiMan EF2A tube amp/dac, and the PRO 900 really benefit from it. 


Edited by LazBro123 - 3/29/13 at 10:17am
post #5451 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberger51 View Post

I had the PRO 900s but sent them back in favor of the HFI 780s. I found the high frequencies to be just too piercing on the 900s...honestly I'm not sure how people can stand it. I listen to a lot of metal, and the 900s really brought of the "hiss" in all the cymbal crashes. I believe that's called "sibilance." 

 

My only complaint is that the 900s were more comfortable than the 780s are...which is why I have a set of PRO 750s coming today. I'm hoping they have the comfort of the 900s with the mellower sound of the HFI 780s. We shall see.

 

You thought the treble was piercing on the 900s? Wow, my PRO 900s sound dark compared to my HFI 580s (which has less treble than the 780!)... Weird. 


Edited by LazBro123 - 3/29/13 at 10:06am
post #5452 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberger51 View Post

I had the PRO 900s but sent them back in favor of the HFI 780s. I found the high frequencies to be just too piercing on the 900s...honestly I'm not sure how people can stand it. I listen to a lot of metal, and the 900s really brought of the "hiss" in all the cymbal crashes. I believe that's called "sibilance." 

 

My only complaint is that the 900s were more comfortable than the 780s are...which is why I have a set of PRO 750s coming today. I'm hoping they have the comfort of the 900s with the mellower sound of the HFI 780s. We shall see.

 

Yeah let us know. I'm interested to know how the 750 and 900 compare.

post #5453 of 5820

Wow, the accessories are ridiculously expensive from Ultrasone. The 1/4" terminated cable that comes with the Pro 900's costs $83 on their site, and the earpads are $58 for a pair. So the extra coiled cable, earpads, and case that come with the headphones add up to $185 retail, which is 33.7% of the headphone's retail price. Scaling that down to the current street price, it seems that they could sell the headphones for under $200 on Amazon if the accessories were not included, and the lightning deal they ran a while back would put the headphones around $130. eek.gif

 

The accessories are great, but given the choice, I'd forgo them in exchange for a lower price. Of course, Ultrasone probably charges a much higher profit margin for the accessories than for the complete package, but getting rid of the accessories would still drop the price considerably.

post #5454 of 5820
Agreed, Tsujigiri.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazBro123 View Post

You thought the treble was piercing on the 900s? Wow, my PRO 900s sound dark compared to my HFI 580s (which has less treble than the 780!)... Weird. 

The whole time I was reviewing these headphones before purchase I had a lot of complaints about the highs. They sound dark compared to my AD900s. I add the Noise Sharpening DSP and set it to 50%.
Edited by BASGTA - 3/31/13 at 7:29pm
post #5455 of 5820

Love these cans.

 

Their midbass makes EDM sound amazing. Great headphone to have on collection.

post #5456 of 5820

Will be getting the E12 from Micca Store for around $140 (including L9) to use with my Ultrasone Pro 900 soon.

 

-Anyone have any experience with the E11/E12 and Ultrasone Pro 900? My source is xonar dx.

post #5457 of 5820
Hi all, i'll be getting my pro 900 and e11 tomorrow, i have questions to ask, does anybody have any preference to "burn in" the can? I heard pink noise is a good idea, but i dont know for sure wink.gif and on what level of volume should i play them on? Should it be super loud? Or just normal hearing level? And how long do you think it will take till it is 'mature'?

Thanks all wink.gif
post #5458 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenic View Post

Hi all, i'll be getting my pro 900 and e11 tomorrow, i have questions to ask, does anybody have any preference to "burn in" the can? I heard pink noise is a good idea, but i dont know for sure wink.gif and on what level of volume should i play them on? Should it be super loud? Or just normal hearing level? And how long do you think it will take till it is 'mature'?

Thanks all wink.gif

 

Just use them. Any burn-in will happen naturally over time. You might as well be enjoying them while it happens (or doesn't happen, depending on who you ask).

post #5459 of 5820

Hi,

 

(I have also created a separate thread for this - if needed, pls remove that one or this reply, txs)  

 

I am in the market for these (as far as I can judge) brilliant headphones, and have found them at Amazon

for a reasonable price (unfortunately not the Lightning Deal).

 

But the one offered there, seems to be (or are) the old versions of this product.

 

From Ultrasone I got confirmed:

 

- Old Version: til May 2010 – 2 pcs. of 3 m cables (straight / coiled) and silver and black ear pads, adapter.

- Current Version: from June 2010 on – 1 pcs. of 1,5 m straight cable + 3 m coiled cable – 2 pairs of black ear pads, no adapter, with soft lack painting.

 

Also, when comparing more specs, there are some (important?) differences:

 

Old model:

Frequency range: 8-35.000 Hz 

Sound pressure level: 94 dB 

 

New model:

Frequency range: 6-42.000Hz

Sound pressure level: 96 dB

 

Also I am not sure if both offer S-Logic Natural Surround Sound Plus, or if the old model "only" offers S-Logic PLUS technology.

 

As far as I can judge, all these differences can make a significant difference between the two versions.

 

Question: Are all the "rave reviews" given at this forum based upon the old or new version?

 

Question: Has anybody tried both versions, and if so, were there differences? (taken burn-in into account)

Question: Is the "Kees Mod" applied on the old or new version?

 * Any other useful comment is much appreciated *
 
 
P.S. I have tried the new model already and liked their sound (although I don't know the burn-in time of these).
 
 
Txs in advance
 
post #5460 of 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by LustLoveLuck View Post

Will be getting the E12 from Micca Store for around $140 (including L9) to use with my Ultrasone Pro 900 soon.

 

-Anyone have any experience with the E11/E12 and Ultrasone Pro 900? My source is xonar dx.


I use the E12 with my Pro 900's and it seems to work well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread