Also, I am running these with the center hole taped shut. I like the sound better this way, Kees also had the center hole plugged. I think you should try it and see if you like the change!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/15/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 9/6/11
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 5/23/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/10/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/10/10
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 12/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- Cost VS. SQ Improvement Last post on 9/18/11 at 12:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for hip hop/rap for 300$ Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help headphones for rap/hip hop 90% of the time Last post on 1/7/12 at 4:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Argh! Why cant I find the right headphones?? Last post on 4/14/12 at 10:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones to compliment the LCD-2? Last post on 8/9/11 at 8:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
(Note - XL ear pads are installed. The sound will be judged based on that.) Introduction: I purchased these headphones mainly out of curiosity. I was reading reviews and watching youtubers...
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
Ultrasone Pro 900 Appreciation Thread - Page 378post #5656 of 575611/14/13 at 7:52am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5657 of 575611/14/13 at 8:04amQuote:Originally Posted by TWerk
If you do not want to spend a lot of money, I'd highly recommend the Fiio E11. It works great on high gain, high power with the 900's.
If you have more money, GO-Dap X is a huge step up! Wonderful sound, worth every penny. You might as well get everything you can out of the can.
I'm keeping an eye on the black friday deals (fingers crossed) for a E07k because I want a dac+amp setup. That way I can use it on my work laptop, home pc, and iphone5 (using some solution like on http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck/180).post #5658 of 575611/14/13 at 8:05amQuote:
Got a pic by chance? I've not modded my Pro900 other than Alpha pads but would consider it.post #5659 of 575611/14/13 at 8:27amQuote:
Literally, it is just taking off the pads, and sticking a piece of tape on each side to cover the center hole.
When you take off the pads, there should be two black stickers covering two of the 5 holes. Cover the middle holes with tape.
Edited by TWerk - 11/14/13 at 8:29ampost #5660 of 575611/14/13 at 8:28ampost #5661 of 575611/14/13 at 8:31amQuote:Originally Posted by Coffeemonster
I'm keeping an eye on the black friday deals (fingers crossed) for a E07k because I want a dac+amp setup. That way I can use it on my work laptop, home pc, and iphone5 (using some solution like on http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck/180).
Yea, the Dac+Amp combo is a good idea for them!post #5662 of 575611/14/13 at 8:35am
But seriously, if you have a way to get the GO DAP X and it works with how you listen, the thing is amazing. I don't feel like I can do better, and that's a great feeling.
I have always wanted to upgrade everything, which was annoying, but finally, i'm satisfied.post #5663 of 575611/14/13 at 8:38am
Also, let it again be known the the pro 2900 is spectacular... It improves greatly on the recessed midrange of the pro 900, and decreases the quantity of bass. The treble is outstanding. Owning the two together is a real treat!!
But again, these need sufficient power, otherwise you are not going to be able to hear it. Boy, I wish I could just invite some of you over to hear these headphones, it is so amazing.
Edited by TWerk - 11/14/13 at 8:41ampost #5664 of 575611/14/13 at 5:48pm
I just opened mine up and added in that tape. I hear an immediate improvement. I am probably going to experiment more with kees mod when i get more time but these headphones seem to take well to tinkering on first glance over this thread :p Good god the bass THE BASSpost #5665 of 575611/14/13 at 6:42pmQuote:
Glad you like the middle hole taped! I do too. To me, it warms the sound a touch, and I like the bass a lot with it.
Edited by TWerk - 11/14/13 at 6:47pmpost #5666 of 575611/14/13 at 6:50pmQuote:
Does it matter what type of tape is used? I recall Kee using a felt "sticky tab", has anyone tried electrical/duct/scotch/etc tape?post #5667 of 575611/14/13 at 7:00pmQuote:
Yea, he used felt. I didn't have felt, so I just plugged the hole with some clear scotch tape. It's still going to block whatever was coming out of the hole.post #5668 of 575611/15/13 at 12:26pmpost #5669 of 575611/15/13 at 12:47pmQuote:
Would you still describe the 2900 as an open-back basshead HP?
I just can't decide between the two.
I hate recessed mids, but all those posts about the bass perfromance of the 900 are so appealing...post #5670 of 575611/15/13 at 2:33pmQuote:
When properly amped, I would indeed call the 2900 a bass-head open-back. But it's more than that. It's like high quality speakers. Something in the treble makes it special, it reaches high and far, and feels very energetic. It is certainly on the sharp side with the treble, so if you were sensitive, I'd be careful. It's very bright! Pro 900 doesn't sound as bright to me, but that's probably because of its HUGE bass.
I feel like I'm in the recording studio hearing all kinds of details I've never heard before in any headphone. I started off with the PRO 900, but ever since I got the 2900, I find myself reaching for it more. It's my new favorite hp.
It's an outstanding headphone, so incredibly detailed and clear through the whole frequency spectrum.
If you could only have one, and provided you can properly amp it, I'd pick 2900. You could always EQ up the bass a bit if you prefer as well.
For now, I feel like the Pro 900 overwhelms with the bass. The 2900 pulls back in bass (quite a few notches) so you can hear the beauty of the whole song, not primarily booming bass. The bass of the 2900 is still excellent, just smaller (and what headphone isn't if comparing it to the 900?!). The open back also gives it a more airy transparent sound, which makes for an excellent soundstage.
If you "hate" a recessed midrange, I think you should certainly go for the 2900. That's easy. It pushes vocals out further in front than the 900. For me, I love having them both.
Edited by TWerk - 11/16/13 at 5:29pm
- Ultrasone Pro 900 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Crap!!! I lost an earpiece from my brand new Inearz customs at the... 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 1 minute ago
- › Any one used a Little Dot MK2 or Tubemagic A1 /w T90 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio: NEW! WA7tp (tube PSU) Early-bird offer 2 minutes ago
- › Best bang for buck, Amp/DAC or headphone upgrade... or both (~$250) 3 minutes ago
- › V-MODA XS - V-MODA M-80s upgraded - Pictures and more! [Discussion,... 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-28 VS Woo Audio WA7 6 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 7 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 8 minutes ago
- › N22 + Aune T1 wiring 8 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude