Also, I am running these with the center hole taped shut. I like the sound better this way, Kees also had the center hole plugged. I think you should try it and see if you like the change!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/15/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 9/6/11
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 5/23/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/10/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/10/10
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 12/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- Cost VS. SQ Improvement Last post on 9/18/11 at 12:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for hip hop/rap for 300$ Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help headphones for rap/hip hop 90% of the time Last post on 1/7/12 at 4:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Argh! Why cant I find the right headphones?? Last post on 4/14/12 at 10:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones to compliment the LCD-2? Last post on 8/9/11 at 8:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
Ultrasone Pro 900 Appreciation Thread - Page 378post #5656 of 580111/14/13 at 7:52am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5657 of 580111/14/13 at 8:04amQuote:Originally Posted by TWerk
If you do not want to spend a lot of money, I'd highly recommend the Fiio E11. It works great on high gain, high power with the 900's.
If you have more money, GO-Dap X is a huge step up! Wonderful sound, worth every penny. You might as well get everything you can out of the can.
I'm keeping an eye on the black friday deals (fingers crossed) for a E07k because I want a dac+amp setup. That way I can use it on my work laptop, home pc, and iphone5 (using some solution like on http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck/180).post #5658 of 580111/14/13 at 8:05amQuote:
Got a pic by chance? I've not modded my Pro900 other than Alpha pads but would consider it.post #5659 of 580111/14/13 at 8:27amQuote:
Literally, it is just taking off the pads, and sticking a piece of tape on each side to cover the center hole.
When you take off the pads, there should be two black stickers covering two of the 5 holes. Cover the middle holes with tape.
Edited by TWerk - 11/14/13 at 8:29ampost #5660 of 580111/14/13 at 8:28ampost #5661 of 580111/14/13 at 8:31amQuote:Originally Posted by Coffeemonster
I'm keeping an eye on the black friday deals (fingers crossed) for a E07k because I want a dac+amp setup. That way I can use it on my work laptop, home pc, and iphone5 (using some solution like on http://www.head-fi.org/t/682222/ios7-iphone-and-apple-cck/180).
Yea, the Dac+Amp combo is a good idea for them!post #5662 of 580111/14/13 at 8:35am
But seriously, if you have a way to get the GO DAP X and it works with how you listen, the thing is amazing. I don't feel like I can do better, and that's a great feeling.
I have always wanted to upgrade everything, which was annoying, but finally, i'm satisfied.post #5663 of 580111/14/13 at 8:38am
Also, let it again be known the the pro 2900 is spectacular... It improves greatly on the recessed midrange of the pro 900, and decreases the quantity of bass. The treble is outstanding. Owning the two together is a real treat!!
But again, these need sufficient power, otherwise you are not going to be able to hear it. Boy, I wish I could just invite some of you over to hear these headphones, it is so amazing.
Edited by TWerk - 11/14/13 at 8:41ampost #5664 of 580111/14/13 at 5:48pm
I just opened mine up and added in that tape. I hear an immediate improvement. I am probably going to experiment more with kees mod when i get more time but these headphones seem to take well to tinkering on first glance over this thread :p Good god the bass THE BASSpost #5665 of 580111/14/13 at 6:42pmQuote:
Glad you like the middle hole taped! I do too. To me, it warms the sound a touch, and I like the bass a lot with it.
Edited by TWerk - 11/14/13 at 6:47pmpost #5666 of 580111/14/13 at 6:50pmQuote:
Does it matter what type of tape is used? I recall Kee using a felt "sticky tab", has anyone tried electrical/duct/scotch/etc tape?post #5667 of 580111/14/13 at 7:00pmQuote:
Yea, he used felt. I didn't have felt, so I just plugged the hole with some clear scotch tape. It's still going to block whatever was coming out of the hole.post #5668 of 580111/15/13 at 12:26pmpost #5669 of 580111/15/13 at 12:47pmQuote:
Would you still describe the 2900 as an open-back basshead HP?
I just can't decide between the two.
I hate recessed mids, but all those posts about the bass perfromance of the 900 are so appealing...post #5670 of 580111/15/13 at 2:33pmQuote:
When properly amped, I would indeed call the 2900 a bass-head open-back. But it's more than that. It's like high quality speakers. Something in the treble makes it special, it reaches high and far, and feels very energetic. It is certainly on the sharp side with the treble, so if you were sensitive, I'd be careful. It's very bright! Pro 900 doesn't sound as bright to me, but that's probably because of its HUGE bass.
I feel like I'm in the recording studio hearing all kinds of details I've never heard before in any headphone. I started off with the PRO 900, but ever since I got the 2900, I find myself reaching for it more. It's my new favorite hp.
It's an outstanding headphone, so incredibly detailed and clear through the whole frequency spectrum.
If you could only have one, and provided you can properly amp it, I'd pick 2900. You could always EQ up the bass a bit if you prefer as well.
For now, I feel like the Pro 900 overwhelms with the bass. The 2900 pulls back in bass (quite a few notches) so you can hear the beauty of the whole song, not primarily booming bass. The bass of the 2900 is still excellent, just smaller (and what headphone isn't if comparing it to the 900?!). The open back also gives it a more airy transparent sound, which makes for an excellent soundstage.
If you "hate" a recessed midrange, I think you should certainly go for the 2900. That's easy. It pushes vocals out further in front than the 900. For me, I love having them both.
Edited by TWerk - 11/16/13 at 5:29pm
- Ultrasone Pro 900 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Bakoon japan launch 1st portable headphone amplifier HDA 5520 24 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 32 seconds ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (Impressions of DN-2000,... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)