Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Pro 900 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Pro 900 Appreciation Thread - Page 324

post #4846 of 5801

I'll write up more about it tomorrow when I have time to listen. But, after about 20 minutes with the STX, it's ksc75smile.gif

post #4847 of 5801

I just bought a E17 for my Pro 900's!

post #4848 of 5801
Yes, you did. wink.gif

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
post #4849 of 5801

XONAR STX TIEMZ

 

Imgur gallery of them - http://imgur.com/a/lrq1t

 

700

 

 

700

 

 

It has a "I'm awesome and here's why" golden booklet. 

 

700

 

 

 

Oh yeah, and I did some new modding. EXCEPT I recovered up the two holes. They are not all 4/4 open. It is the stock 2/4. 

 

700

 

I put another half felt pad across from the other on the back of the cup to lay under both the open air holes on the driver plate.

This spreads out the mass of the pads dampens vibrations better and evenly. Also, since they are behind the open air holes, they absorb excess noises that would bounce back up into your ear.

 

 

700

 

I cut the front ones in half. Before, they would extent out over the top of your ear. And would even touch my ears. 
I was thinking that having something in the way of S-Logic wasn't very good. Now, they lay under the ear pads and don't extent into the "noise area."

NOW, about the ESSENCE XONAR STX.

 

Some things I need to say before hand:
I am using the +12gain for 64db-250db impedance cards. The normal gain wouldn't cut it.

Using WASAPI instead of ASIO because ASIO doesn't let me control the volume through the computer. Which is dumb.

I'm using the Uni v1.53 drivers instead of the Asus ones.

 

General sound quality review:

I don't want to make this tl;dr and I've already reviewed the phones, so I'll be brief.

The sound signature is much like the FiiO E17s. As far as it's warm-ness. It doesn't push the high range and the bass has great extension. Keep in mind, this is just with the default opamps. You can change them to get different sound signatures. However, these things take the FiiO's amp signature and take it to 11 with the superior DAC that these boast. Everything just has that extra clarity and force given to it. The frequencies stand out a tad more from each other. So, in essence (see what I did there?) they do everything you'd expect a good DAC to do.

 

I'm not sure what else to say. I'm enjoying this card a lot. :D
If you're looking for a desktop, non portable solution and have the Pro 900s, GET THIS THING.

 

Something to note, due to the low impedance of the Pro 900s, there is a low buzzy hum that can be heard when nothing is being played. It doesn't bother me at all, because when there's nothing playing, I'm not wearing my headphones. cool.gif

post #4850 of 5801

Oh, I didn't even realize that 2/4 holes covered was stock on the 900. The stock config on the 2900 was all 4 covered. I'm going to try and see what 3/4 holes open sounds like in a few more days once  I have the fully open sound stuck in my head.

post #4851 of 5801
Quote:
Originally Posted by calpis View Post

Oh, I didn't even realize that 2/4 holes covered was stock on the 900. The stock config on the 2900 was all 4 covered. I'm going to try and see what 3/4 holes open sounds like in a few more days once  I have the fully open sound stuck in my head.

All 4 are covered on the 2900? That explains where the lack of bass comes from. Wow. 
I should have gotten the 2900s lol.

post #4852 of 5801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rath1on View Post

All 4 are covered on the 2900? That explains where the lack of bass comes from. Wow. 
I should have gotten the 2900s lol.

Hmm.. My pro 900s came with all four covered..

post #4853 of 5801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rath1on View Post

XONAR STX TIEMZ

 

Imgur gallery of them - http://imgur.com/a/lrq1t

 

700

 

 

700

 

 

It has a "I'm awesome and here's why" golden booklet. 

 

700

 

 

 

Oh yeah, and I did some new modding. EXCEPT I recovered up the two holes. They are not all 4/4 open. It is the stock 2/4. 

 

700

 

I put another half felt pad across from the other on the back of the cup to lay under both the open air holes on the driver plate.

This spreads out the mass of the pads dampens vibrations better and evenly. Also, since they are behind the open air holes, they absorb excess noises that would bounce back up into your ear.

 

 

700

 

I cut the front ones in half. Before, they would extent out over the top of your ear. And would even touch my ears. 
I was thinking that having something in the way of S-Logic wasn't very good. Now, they lay under the ear pads and don't extent into the "noise area."

NOW, about the ESSENCE XONAR STX.

 

Some things I need to say before hand:
I am using the +12gain for 64db-250db impedance cards. The normal gain wouldn't cut it.

Using WASAPI instead of ASIO because ASIO doesn't let me control the volume through the computer. Which is dumb.

I'm using the Uni v1.53 drivers instead of the Asus ones.

 

General sound quality review:

I don't want to make this tl;dr and I've already reviewed the phones, so I'll be brief.

The sound signature is much like the FiiO E17s. As far as it's warm-ness. It doesn't push the high range and the bass has great extension. Keep in mind, this is just with the default opamps. You can change them to get different sound signatures. However, these things take the FiiO's amp signature and take it to 11 with the superior DAC that these boast. Everything just has that extra clarity and force given to it. The frequencies stand out a tad more from each other. So, in essence (see what I did there?) they do everything you'd expect a good DAC to do.

 

I'm not sure what else to say. I'm enjoying this card a lot. :D
If you're looking for a desktop, non portable solution and have the Pro 900s, GET THIS THING.

 

Something to note, due to the low impedance of the Pro 900s, there is a low buzzy hum that can be heard when nothing is being played. It doesn't bother me at all, because when there's nothing playing, I'm not wearing my headphones. cool.gif

Was there something wrong with 3/4 uncovered? I have it like that now, but i'm not sure if i want to go back in and change it again because i don't want to strip the screws.

post #4854 of 5801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwusoccer View Post

Was there something wrong with 3/4 uncovered? I have it like that now, but i'm not sure if i want to go back in and change it again because i don't want to strip the screws.

Not really. The STX is really bassy heavy, and it was just too much with both of them and I wanted to shift up the sound signature a little.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwusoccer View Post

Hmm.. My pro 900s came with all four covered..

 

And whoa... Mine were 2/4.....

post #4855 of 5801

Mine are 2/4 covered.

Thanks for the write up Rath

I've been thinking about trying Kees mod because sometimes I find myself thinking the bass isn't enough.

I was listening to Blackmill 'Miracle' album and this was the case most of the time; but I think its the mastering/mixing on the album!

Because now listening to Phaeleh's 'Afterglo' and there is bucketloads of beautiful sub all the way through. Makes my ears so nice and fuzzy :)

 

So I think I'll stay stock for now. I really do think the Denon pleather pads I have make a difference too, I tried more A-Bing between the Ultrasone velours.

More comfy for me too, I find myself adjusting the pleathers less and don't even notice the phones are on my head. Whereas the ultrasone pads are a bit itchy and don't fit too snugly, and I feel like they're leaking too much. My preference may change in summer though! (winter here atm). Sweaty pleather is no good

 

I just got my Audioengine D1 last night and now running it into my Matrix M-stage which I haven't been using much. Using USB for D1 but might try Optical at some stage.

I like having the device in Windows though to be able to switch between DS and WASAPI. I really prefer WASAPI SQ but when doing stuff like gaming + music can't use it of course..

 

I'm so impressed by how good the sound out of the D1 is (even directly, without the Mstage); heaps of dynamic range, great lows, great soundstage.

And the AMPing is decent too, was able to drive my workmate's DT770 250ohms to ear splitting levels with good soundquality yesterday

 

The Mstage + Pro900 is fantastic as well. It warms it up just a tad IMO; tames the highs just enough.

Interestingly with the Audioengine on 100% volume and the Mstage on 0gain, I can comfortably have the Mstage on 12 O'clock, and even go up to 2pm - previously when feeding it from my Roland interface this would have made my ears bleed. 

I think the volume levels are actually similar, but if anything the D1 is just a better performer, less harsh, and seems to be a great combo with Mstage. And at least the damn electrical noise from my PC is gone!

 

Anyway, should receive my HE-400's in the mail next week, then I'll have a perfect combo I hope :)


Edited by designbykai - 8/3/12 at 5:48pm
post #4856 of 5801
Quote:
Originally Posted by designbykai View Post

Mine are 2/4 covered.

Thanks for the write up Rath

I've been thinking about trying Kees mod because sometimes I find myself thinking the bass isn't enough.

I was listening to Blackmill 'Miracle' album and this was the case most of the time; but I think its the mastering/mixing on the album!

Because now listening to Phaeleh's 'Afterglo' and there is bucketloads of beautiful sub all the way through. Makes my ears so nice and fuzzy :)

 

So I think I'll stay stock for now. I really do think the Denon pleather pads I have make a difference too, I tried more A-Bing between the Ultrasone velours.

More comfy for me too, I find myself adjusting the pleathers less and don't even notice the phones are on my head. Whereas the ultrasone pads are a bit itchy and don't fit too snugly, and I feel like they're leaking too much. My preference may change in summer though! (winter here atm). Sweaty pleather is no good

 

I just got my Audioengine D1 last night and now running it into my Matrix M-stage which I haven't been using much. Using USB for D1 but might try Optical at some stage.

I like having the device in Windows though to be able to switch between DS and WASAPI. I really prefer WASAPI SQ but when doing stuff like gaming + music can't use it of course..

 

I'm so impressed by how good the sound out of the D1 is (even directly, without the Mstage); heaps of dynamic range, great lows, great soundstage.

And the AMPing is decent too, was able to drive my workmate's DT770 250ohms to ear splitting levels with good soundquality yesterday

 

The Mstage + Pro900 is fantastic as well. It warms it up just a tad IMO; tames the highs just enough.

Interestingly with the Audioengine on 100% volume and the Mstage on 0gain, I can comfortably have the Mstage on 12 O'clock, and even go up to 2pm - previously when feeding it from my Roland interface this would have made my ears bleed. 

I think the volume levels are actually similar, but if anything the D1 is just a better performer, less harsh, and seems to be a great combo with Mstage. And at least the damn electrical noise from my PC is gone!

 

Anyway, should receive my HE-400's in the mail next week, then I'll have a perfect combo I hope :)

 

Yeah, I'm really able to pick out good mastering and I tend to look for it more. Big fan of Phaeleh. :D He definitely love that sub bass. 
I honestly don't think there's too much bass or anything like it is. My mods don't add bass, either. The felt pads I have everywhere are to clear up the bass and the noises. The only thing that really ADDS bass is the sticker mod. And I reverted back to 2/4 default because of the clarity with the STX. The sub bass has such a tone to it. I can't even really describe it.

 

That HE-400 should be awesome. Their mid range quality is stellar. I've been looking into the HE-500 as my next purchase for EDM. I've heard they are really bassy for what they are, but being a big basshead, I don't know what that means. :D

 

I'm listening to some Tech N9ne and I'm really liking  how this sub bass sounds. It's all the depth without the bloat of massive subwoofer-ness.


Edited by Rath1on - 8/3/12 at 7:58pm
post #4857 of 5801

Winamp's Milkdrop + your favourite EDM + pro 900 = hours of drooling fun

post #4858 of 5801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rath1on View Post

Yeah, I'm really able to pick out good mastering and I tend to look for it more. Big fan of Phaeleh. biggrin.gif He definitely love that sub bass. 

I honestly don't think there's too much bass or anything like it is. My mods don't add bass, either. The felt pads I have everywhere are to clear up the bass and the noises. The only thing that really ADDS bass is the sticker mod. And I reverted back to 2/4 default because of the clarity with the STX. The sub bass has such a tone to it. I can't even really describe it.

That HE-400 should be awesome. Their mid range quality is stellar. I've been looking into the HE-500 as my next purchase for EDM. I've heard they are really bassy for what they are, but being a big basshead, I don't know what that means. biggrin.gif

I'm listening to some Tech N9ne and I'm really liking  how this sub bass sounds. It's all the depth without the bloat of massive subwoofer-ness.

The HE500 supposedly has less bass than the HE400. The HE400 has natural bass that can get bassy if a song calls for it, but isn't what I'd say caters to bassheads. Considering the HE500 has even less than the HE400, I'm sure that'd put me off.
post #4859 of 5801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


The HE500 supposedly has less bass than the HE400. The HE400 has natural bass that can get bassy if a song calls for it, but isn't what I'd say caters to bassheads. Considering the HE500 has even less than the HE400, I'm sure that'd put me off.

Hmmmm. This is having me very much tempted. 

 

 

Very much tempted. 


I am enjoying the bass on the Pro 900s though. I don't think I'm ready to give that up yet. But, a future purchase, quite possibly.


Edited by Rath1on - 8/4/12 at 8:14am
post #4860 of 5801

So what's the verdict on the 2900s - Are they as good as the 900s?  Or are they the same with a little less bass?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone Pro 900 Appreciation Thread