I have read that the Maverick D1 and Grant DAC-9 are essentially the same unit but from the specs of the Grant it says that the headphone out does not go through the tube preamp section and instead goes from the DAC directly to the SS headphone amp. Does the D1 do the same thing or does the signal path go from dac -> tube preamp -> ss headphone amp?
Related Forum Threads
- Is this a good combo for Sennheiser's HD650 Last post on 3/5/14 at 9:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Last post on 9/15/11 at 2:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- anyone know anything about this amp? Last post on 4/25/11 at 8:23pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What's the deal with amplifier hiss? Last post on 4/8/11 at 2:33pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- . Last post on 4/5/11 at 6:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
JOMO PLB (Pretty Little Beast) IEM Review - Expatinjapan `Oh you pretty things` - David Bowie Jomo Audio PLB, Opus#3 Dap and Double Helix Cable. JOMO PLB (Pretty little...
In the present state of portable audio markets, with one-upmanship of driver counts (and prices) fast becoming the norm, Campfire Audio has blazed its own path by offering immaculately crafted,...
Difference between the Maverick D1 and Grant Audio DAC-9post #1 of 812/9/10 at 3:45pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 812/9/10 at 4:39pm
On the D1 the headphone out does not go through the tube pre-amp section. The pre-amp section has two outputs on the back: one is labeled "Normal," the other "Tube Pre Out." Thus, using the D1's headphone output you will not get the tube "flavor."
Edited by Will2007 - 12/9/10 at 4:41pmpost #3 of 812/9/10 at 4:45pmThread Starter
So the only way to get the tube flavor is to get an A1 along with the D1 and go through the headphone out of the A1?post #4 of 812/10/10 at 12:36am
Quote:Originally Posted by gus6464
So the only way to get the tube flavor is to get an A1 along with the D1 and go through the headphone out of the A1?
If you need a DAC as well, yes. If not, you could just go for the A1post #5 of 812/25/10 at 8:07pmQuote:
Woah. No no no. I'm not sure how the Grant Fidelity unit is wired but on the D1, the tube output has dc offset and does not have the proper amplification for headphones. People might be connecting their headphones to the tube output but I personally wouldn't without testing it. Check the D1 FAQ in my signature for info about it.post #6 of 812/26/10 at 3:03amQuote:Originally Posted by dancingpotato
Spanky please read the thread below about using the grant Fidelity tube out to power headphones ... Ian Grant himself recommends it ... but then again he only runs the company and actually owns a few Dac-09s ...
And to quote Yashu from the same thread :
"Ian, i have been listening as I said, to the DAC09 using the tubed output as a headphone out... impedance matching is important and it seems to sound best with AT m50s and my sony XB700s. The XB700s sound so warm and lush, I want to wrap it ll up in a box and toss it in the freezer to keep forever. Truly, it is a match made in frankenhaven. "
That doesn't mean it is ok to with THE D1post #7 of 812/26/10 at 1:56pm
Circuit is nearly the same. That's great that Ian does it. The concern still remains: what about DC offset or the fact that the D1's tube outputs have been proven 'hot' and that's obviously not a concern in that entire thread. I guess they're fine risking their headphones...
Plus... it's not a headphone output, the circuit isn't meant to be used with headphones. Go in the DIY forum. Just because it 'works' doesn't mean it should be done. I've looked at the D1's circuit extensively and have suggested on more than one occasion to Ryan (Maverick Audio owner) a way to implement the tube in the headphone output and he has told me that he's discussed with his engineer on doing that and they never came up with a feasible way without extensively changing the circuit and by then, they may as well make a new product.
Edited by _Spanky_ - 12/26/10 at 2:00pmpost #8 of 81/5/11 at 1:41pm
- Difference between the Maverick D1 and Grant Audio DAC-9
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 28 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 MkII 29 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 1 minute ago
- › The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 2 minutes ago
- › 64 Audio | apex | tia 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Meze 12 Classics by Bansaku
- › Rock Jaw Audio Resonate by ngoshawk
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear