I have read that the Maverick D1 and Grant DAC-9 are essentially the same unit but from the specs of the Grant it says that the headphone out does not go through the tube preamp section and instead goes from the DAC directly to the SS headphone amp. Does the D1 do the same thing or does the signal path go from dac -> tube preamp -> ss headphone amp?
Related Forum Threads
- Is this a good combo for Sennheiser's HD650 Last post on 3/5/14 at 9:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Last post on 9/15/11 at 2:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- anyone know anything about this amp? Last post on 4/25/11 at 8:23pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What's the deal with amplifier hiss? Last post on 4/8/11 at 2:33pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- . Last post on 4/5/11 at 6:31am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Great lil on-ear headphone but a lil bit uncomfortable on ear. Not for someone who loves heavy bass but good for seeking clarity ;) My opinion, my first AKG product. Tried the AKG Y50 but to me,...
In Ears Prophile 8 IEM review January 2017 Intro I had heard of In Ears but did not know too much about them until I see them on the In-Ear stand at the Indulgence show in London...
MrZ's Toneking Musicmaker TingThe review that swayed me to get on-boardhttp://www.head-fi.org/products/musicmaker-ting/reviews/15584The slightly down-line 1/2 price...
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
Difference between the Maverick D1 and Grant Audio DAC-9post #1 of 812/9/10 at 3:45pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 812/9/10 at 4:39pm
On the D1 the headphone out does not go through the tube pre-amp section. The pre-amp section has two outputs on the back: one is labeled "Normal," the other "Tube Pre Out." Thus, using the D1's headphone output you will not get the tube "flavor."
Edited by Will2007 - 12/9/10 at 4:41pmpost #3 of 812/9/10 at 4:45pmThread Starter
So the only way to get the tube flavor is to get an A1 along with the D1 and go through the headphone out of the A1?post #4 of 812/10/10 at 12:36am
Quote:Originally Posted by gus6464
So the only way to get the tube flavor is to get an A1 along with the D1 and go through the headphone out of the A1?
If you need a DAC as well, yes. If not, you could just go for the A1post #5 of 812/25/10 at 8:07pmQuote:
Woah. No no no. I'm not sure how the Grant Fidelity unit is wired but on the D1, the tube output has dc offset and does not have the proper amplification for headphones. People might be connecting their headphones to the tube output but I personally wouldn't without testing it. Check the D1 FAQ in my signature for info about it.post #6 of 812/26/10 at 3:03amQuote:Originally Posted by dancingpotato
Spanky please read the thread below about using the grant Fidelity tube out to power headphones ... Ian Grant himself recommends it ... but then again he only runs the company and actually owns a few Dac-09s ...
And to quote Yashu from the same thread :
"Ian, i have been listening as I said, to the DAC09 using the tubed output as a headphone out... impedance matching is important and it seems to sound best with AT m50s and my sony XB700s. The XB700s sound so warm and lush, I want to wrap it ll up in a box and toss it in the freezer to keep forever. Truly, it is a match made in frankenhaven. "
That doesn't mean it is ok to with THE D1post #7 of 812/26/10 at 1:56pm
Circuit is nearly the same. That's great that Ian does it. The concern still remains: what about DC offset or the fact that the D1's tube outputs have been proven 'hot' and that's obviously not a concern in that entire thread. I guess they're fine risking their headphones...
Plus... it's not a headphone output, the circuit isn't meant to be used with headphones. Go in the DIY forum. Just because it 'works' doesn't mean it should be done. I've looked at the D1's circuit extensively and have suggested on more than one occasion to Ryan (Maverick Audio owner) a way to implement the tube in the headphone output and he has told me that he's discussed with his engineer on doing that and they never came up with a feasible way without extensively changing the circuit and by then, they may as well make a new product.
Edited by _Spanky_ - 12/26/10 at 2:00pmpost #8 of 81/5/11 at 1:41pm
- Difference between the Maverick D1 and Grant Audio DAC-9
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 12 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 21 seconds ago
- › B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread 40 seconds ago
- › USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All... 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones) 1 minute ago
- › The Other Metal Thread: No Extreme Metal Please! 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Placebophile Cat 8 Ethernet Cable 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 4 minutes ago
- › Chicago area Headphone Meet - January 28th 2017 "ChiUniFi" 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K403 by IkuMiku96
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by FortisFlyer75
- › MusicMaker Ting by Redcarmoose
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear