Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones - Page 412  

post #6166 of 6431

Best headphones I've ever owned were a Creative gaming headset.

 

Upon hearing HD 558 and learning the difference between $180 cans and a <$80 headset, I decided to increase my audio budget.

post #6167 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0y99 View Post

So I dont want to start another rant about beats by dre but today my ginger friend said that beats are superior to my souls (which sound very good btw) and now he made his friends think the same thing.... help me

Perhaps you should choose your friends based on people you like whose qualities you admire, rather than liking the same headphones as you?

Wait...does that mean I'm not an audiophile?
post #6168 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb0y99 View Post

So I dont want to start another rant about beats by dre but today my ginger friend said that beats are superior to my souls (which sound very good btw) and now he made his friends think the same thing.... help me

 

Ive had a similar experience with a ginger on my bus, Ive posted it here before but no one payed much attention.

 

But he sat around for maybe 15 minutes telling me about how much better his bottom-line Soul IEMs are over my Klipsch X10s and V-MODA LP2s, and tried telling me that because they are indorsed by a rapper that they are the best, because of all the money the celebrity can put into their construction. I tried to tell him that Ludacris had absolutely nothing to do with the design, building, or even sound of the Souls, but instead that they just use his name to sell them. Of course he didnt believe be and tried to throw a punch, which I responded to by kicking him square in the chest, knocking him back into his seat.

 

Fun times beerchug.gif

post #6169 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron94 View Post

 

Ive had a similar experience with a ginger on my bus, Ive posted it here before but no one payed much attention.

 

But he sat around for maybe 15 minutes telling me about how much better his bottom-line Soul IEMs are over my Klipsch X10s and V-MODA LP2s, and tried telling me that because they are indorsed by a rapper that they are the best, because of all the money the celebrity can put into their construction. I tried to tell him that Ludacris had absolutely nothing to do with the design, building, or even sound of the Souls, but instead that they just use his name to sell them. Of course he didnt believe be and tried to throw a punch, which I responded to by kicking him square in the chest, knocking him back into his seat.

 

Fun times beerchug.gif

 

You kicked him in the chest whilst on a bus? Are you a contortionist?

 

Whether true or not, bragging about resorting to physical violence over an argument about headphones is neither big nor clever. Have a word with yourself!

post #6170 of 6431

I thought this was the "non audiophile reactions to high end headphones" thread, not the "audiophiles(and music lovers) talking about times someone who didn't know better said their headphones were better than yours" thread. Come on guys.

 

On another note,

 

My dad listened to my Q701's earlier, couldn't believe the positioning and detail when i played "Time" by Pink Floyd, which is one of his all time top songs. Although the AKG's are magical on that track i must admit.

post #6171 of 6431

@johnnyb0y99, @Aaron94,

 

What is going on here? Why are you referring to these people as gingers despite the fact that the color of their hair has absolutely no bearing on the story? Do you not realize how ignorant and hateful that is? To imply that the color of their hair has something to do with the story? As if only people with red hair would like crappy headphones or start a fight? Its offensive. We don't care what color of hair these random people had because guess what, it makes no difference to anyone that isn't biased against people with a particular outward appearance, be that race, religion, or the color of one's hair. Its all the same. It has no place here and I'm genuinely surprised that you two guys don't seem to realize that.

 

For the record, no I am not a "ginger" and it still very much offends me. And trust me, I am NOT easily offended. But judging someone based on physical characteristics that the person has no control over is absolutely offensive and unacceptable to me and we all know that the word ginger has negative, judgemental connotations. If the two guys in your stories had brown hair instead of red hair would you both refer to them as "brown haired guys" instead of "gingers"? No. You wouldn't include that in your story because it makes no difference. Seriously, take your cyber bullying and ignorance somewhere else.

 

/endrant and please accept my apologies for being "that guy". Can we please get back on topic in some kind of respectable manner?

post #6172 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

@johnnyb0y99, @Aaron94,

 

What is going on here? Why are you referring to these people as gingers despite the fact that the color of their hair has absolutely no bearing on the story? Do you not realize how ignorant and hateful that is? To imply that the color of their hair has something to do with the story? As if only people with red hair would like crappy headphones or start a fight? Its offensive. We don't care what color of hair these random people had because guess what, it makes no difference to anyone that isn't biased against people with a particular outward appearance, be that race, religion, or the color of one's hair. Its all the same. It has no place here and I'm genuinely surprised that you two guys don't seem to realize that.

 

For the record, no I am not a "ginger" and it still very much offends me. And trust me, I am NOT easily offended. But judging someone based on physical characteristics that the person has no control over is absolutely offensive and unacceptable to me and we all know that the word ginger has negative, judgemental connotations. If the two guys in your stories had brown hair instead of red hair would you both refer to them as "brown haired guys" instead of "gingers"? No. You wouldn't include that in your story because it makes no difference. Seriously, take your cyber bullying and ignorance somewhere else.

 

/endrant and please accept my apologies for being "that guy". Can we please get back on topic in some kind of respectable manner?

 

While you do have a good point and I agree with you fully that it could be considered hateful, I must say, I call him a ginger because I have no other way to describe him, I guess I could have said "the guy that wears blue shirts alot" but instead I went with the typical slang that comes with being a teen like myself in the modern world.

 

Also I was not judging him by calling him that, I am most likely one of the most "Not giving a ****" kind of people you can ever meet, I correct people I meet when they throw around the word racist to describe everyday hate. 


Edited by Aaron94 - 2/6/13 at 12:03pm
post #6173 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron94 View Post

 

While you do have a good point and I agree with you fully that it could be considered hateful, I must say, I call him a ginger because I have no other way to describe him, I guess I could have said "the guy that wears blue shirts alot" but instead I went with the typical slang that comes with being a teen like myself in the modern world.

 

Referring to him as "the guy that wears blue shirts alot" would be equally as useless as referring to him as "the ginger" so why would you refer to him in either of those ways unless the latter was somehow some kind of implication of his inferiority? He is a stranger to us, therefore there is no need to refer to him in any way other than "a guy on the bus" or "a guy I know".

post #6174 of 6431

my co worker tried my grados + amp and she liked the amp more than the headphones..... which quite surprised me blink.gif
after some chatting later that night i learned that she is an audionoob lol, doesn't know what is highs, mids, only knows what is bass and how nice the bass toggle switch is on my amp. so i just flowed along and suggested some amps which have bass settings, E7, E07 and E17, and she said she thinks that the E07 is the best.
also she could not understand this line from the specs sheet: Equalizer : Treble - +/-10dB; Bass - +/-10dB (in 2dB step)
so i just stated: 10 levels of bass and treble, 5 up and 5 down.

well the funny thing is she is going to use it with her phone and also use it with her stock samsung S3 default earphones....
oh well beginnings are small, not sure where this will end up.

oh btw what's a ginger....? (other than that being a root of a plant being used as a seasoning/herb for various eastern dishes)

post #6175 of 6431

@streetdragon, we really need to stop talking about this as we've already gotten a similar thread closed (you know you're an audiophile when...) by going off-topic like this but to answer your question "ginger" is a slang term for pale skinned, red-headed people with freckles and its generally considered a slur and offensive.

 

I like your story though. The first thing non-audiophiles seem to able to make sense of is bass quantity. :) Give her some time, she might be a quick learner! ;)

post #6176 of 6431

It adds character to the story.

 

If he is indeed just a stranger to you guys, as am I, then you shouldnt care.

 

The thoughts of others, including how they represent the specific people in the event of which they are describing are completely up to them, most often influenced by culture, age, backround, and attitude. I feel I should be able to represent the people of which I am posting about however I see fit, even if others feel it is biased.

 

Thinking back on it the color of his hair doesnt matter, ginger is just a slang that has developed over time to describe redheads. If I come on here and tell you guys about a blonde or brunette friend are you going to rant at me again? Most likely not because you have heard those words to describe people so many times it doesnt matter to you, just like how I am with the word ginger. I have heard it to describe redheads ever since I was in elementary school, thus it is just another word.

 

Back on topic, I often find my friends go along with what you said dev, apparently bass quantity and not even quality are what my generation look for. I mentioned earlier that one of my friends said his iFrogz were better than my X10s because his has more bass, he didnt even consider the audio quality or anything else.


Edited by Aaron94 - 2/6/13 at 12:14pm
post #6177 of 6431

I see your point and respect your position to a certain extent but whether or not the words blonde, brunette, and ginger are offensive has nothing to do with how many times you've heard those words used. The ginger people I know are offended by it. Ginger kids get bullied constantly with that word. Sometimes blondes get bullied with the word blonde as well (as an implication of stupidity) and yes, if you read back through johnnyb0y99's post and then yours and replace "ginger" with "blonde" it is still offensive because of the context you used it in and the fact that there is no useful reason for using those words other than to imply that these two characters share this trait in the same way that they share the stupidity that you guys attribute to them.

 

Anyway, lets agree to disagree and get back on topic. I didn't mean to wrongfully accuse you or anyone else and I apologize if you feel like I did.


Edited by devhen - 2/6/13 at 12:26pm
post #6178 of 6431

The more you hear a word the more you become desensitized to it, and at a young age hearing it often makes you think that its ok to say.

 

Also you just used the word ginger in moderately offensive manner 3 times in your last post, is it my turn to rant?

 

Just kidding, I agree we need to get back on topic as I like this forum. Couple of guys just saw my Noontecs sitting on the table I am at, asked if they were beats, when I said no they told me, and I qoute "Man you need to go out and buy some Beats and get the best out of your music."

 

I am speechless 


Edited by Aaron94 - 2/6/13 at 12:29pm
post #6179 of 6431

Ive had a similar experience with a ginger on my bus, Ive posted it here before but no one payed much attention.

 

But he sat around for maybe 15 minutes telling me about how much better his bottom-line Soul IEMs are over my Klipsch X10s and V-MODA LP2s, and tried telling me that because they are indorsed by a rapper that they are the best, because of all the money the celebrity can put into their construction. I tried to tell him that Ludacris had absolutely nothing to do with the design, building, or even sound of the Souls, but instead that they just use his name to sell them. Of course he didnt believe be and tried to throw a punch, which I responded to by kicking him square in the chest, knocking him back into his seat.

 

This story is all kinda of "da fuq?".

 

First off, you keep referring to this guy as a ginger, which I find to be rather tasteless as it's not relevant to the story at all. You don't need to identify characteristics unless it actually affects how the story played out. It would be like calling someone with a lot of acne a pizza face.

 

Secondly, to be frank, the headphones you have are really not much, if at all, better than the headphones he has; your headphones just happen to be less expensive overpriced. You don't get to act like that just because you have bottom-line V-MODAs.

 

Third, why does physical violence come into this story? Either you were communicating your point to this kid in a very inflammatory manner, or this guy has some serious mental instability; I suspect the former.


Edited by Tus-Chan - 2/6/13 at 12:33pm
post #6180 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron94 View Post

 

 

Just kidding, I agree we need to get back on topic as I like this forum. Couple of guys just saw my Noontecs sitting on the table I am at, asked if they were beats, when I said no they told me, and I qoute "Man you need to go out and buy some Beats and get the best out of your music."

 

I am speechless 

What color hair did they have?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones