Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones - Page 364  

post #5446 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

Me: "Hey XXXX come up stairs and we will play some MW3"
Him: "ok"
*go upstairs and he sees all my music editing software open on my desktop with my headphones and all*
Him: "dear god"
Me: "oh hear, try these on"
*hand him a pair of AKG Q701s and put on a good led zeppelin song*
Him: "those sound fantastic, how much did you pay for them"
Me: "250 for the headphones, and 200 for the sound card"
Him: " wow that is stupid"
Me: "why"
Him: "well for that much you could have gotten some beats headphones and you wouldn't have had to buy a sound card to make them sound good"
Me: "I don't want to live on this planet anymore"
Hope you get a chuckle. k701smile.gif

Hahaha... And u still consider mr xxx as ur friend biggrin.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 12/7/12 at 8:46am
post #5447 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Hahaha... And u still consider mr xxx as ur friend biggrin.gif

Bad choice.. My friend loves Grado's so its all good.

post #5448 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Bad choice.. My friend loves Grado's so its all good.
biggrin.gif
post #5449 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


biggrin.gif

His brother has 225i's, he wants my sr80i's since I'm getting new headphones. But, I have to mod my Grado's!

post #5450 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

His brother has 225i's, he wants my sr80i's since I'm getting new headphones. But, I have to mod my Grado's!

 

Two of my buddies love Grados too. One of my other close friends has a pair of Denons.

 

I mean I sold headphones to two out of the three, but still, proud of them. biggrin.gif

 

No one I know really well owns Beats actually.

post #5451 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

 

Two of my buddies love Grados too. One of my other close friends has a pair of Denons.

 

I mean I sold headphones to two out of the three, but still, proud of them. biggrin.gif

 

No one I know really well owns Beats actually.

People walk around my school with Beats on the necks with no cables in themrolleyes.gif

post #5452 of 6431

I honestly think non-audiophiles don't care about your expensive headphone systems because it takes a long time to adjust your brain (and ears) to a particular sound; spend a week listening to Beats by Dre and then go to your Audeze LCD-2 or Sennheiser HD800 or HiFiMan HE-6 and you will think the Beats are better... I'm serious, you will! Then spend a week listening to nothing but those latter headphones and when you try out your Beats again you will think "how in the hell did I ever actually think these crappy things were better".

 

People often talk about headphone "burn-in" and I actually believe it is NOT a myth (there's actually scientific proof); however, brain burn-in plays a far more significant role in how we experience sound. Hearing is a sense like any other -- walk into a stinky room and soon you will no longer smell anything, but it isn't because the smell is gone. Once you get used to peaks in a frequency spectrum, those peaks lower to be more in line with the trophs... this makes sound more natural.

 

Unfortunately, your friends don't hear what the fuss is about; they just think you wasted $1000

post #5453 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

People walk around my school with Beats on the necks with no cables in themrolleyes.gif


While playing music off the speaker of their iphone...

post #5454 of 6431

Showed my friend my px100-ii streaming through the e17 and his jaw dropped. He said it sounded better than the system in his dads Benz, haha :P

post #5455 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsenn View Post

I honestly think non-audiophiles don't care about your expensive headphone systems because it takes a long time to adjust your brain (and ears) to a particular sound; spend a week listening to Beats by Dre and then go to your Audeze LCD-2 or Sennheiser HD800 or HiFiMan HE-6 and you will think the Beats are better... I'm serious, you will! Then spend a week listening to nothing but those latter headphones and when you try out your Beats again you will think "how in the hell did I ever actually think these crappy things were better".

People often talk about headphone "burn-in" and I actually believe it is NOT a myth (there's actually scientific proof); however, brain burn-in plays a far more significant role in how we experience sound. Hearing is a sense like any other -- walk into a stinky room and soon you will no longer smell anything, but it isn't because the smell is gone. Once you get used to peaks in a frequency spectrum, those peaks lower to be more in line with the trophs... this makes sound more natural.

Unfortunately, your friends don't hear what the fuss is about; they just think you wasted $1000
+1 i totally agree on the burn brain in thingie..if u check some of my posts through headfi u will read that i think a listening experience is a sum up of the following ingredients
Ur headphone and rest of ur rig
Ur emotional state
Ur physical state
And ur thoughts about HOW good the headphone will sound (expectations)
And even where u are sometimes

But i know a person or two in my personal life who can really be objective about hearing pure differences in 2 phones..without being influenced by expectations and what they read about it..
Am sure here on headfi there are others..

me? No..i am not an objective listener at all..
Sometimes i have a feeling my rig sounds not on his best..but yesterday i didnt sleep at all while listening to some high quality queen recordings..those guys were magicians! OMG As if i was totally emerged into beautiful music..a song even gave me goosebumps..but i think because my day went perfect and i was all relaxed before listening..that i could be in the flow to enjoy all what my sweet rig could give me..and see..i didnt sleep all night.. biggrin.gif

Just wanted to say..buying higher end phones do give u better listening experience..no doubt about it..thats why i have the rig that i have now biggrin.gif ..but it alse depends on the other ingredients of the mix..but hey..its how i feel it..so u can have a different opinion.. tongue.gif
Edited by hifimanrookie - 12/7/12 at 12:40pm
post #5456 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsenn View Post

 

People often talk about headphone "burn-in" and I actually believe it is NOT a myth (there's actually scientific proof); however, brain burn-in plays a far more significant role in how we experience sound. Hearing is a sense like any other -- walk into a stinky room and soon you will no longer smell anything, but it isn't because the smell is gone. Once you get used to peaks in a frequency spectrum, those peaks lower to be more in line with the trophs... this makes sound more natural.

 

Unfortunately, your friends don't hear what the fuss is about; they just think you wasted $1000

 

Great post +1. beerchug.gif

post #5457 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooster View Post

 

Great post +1. beerchug.gif


I think that's one of the best I've seen from a non-number ranked member.

post #5458 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post


I think that's one of the best I've seen from a non-number ranked member.
I agree..maybe he comes from a good breed of full blood audiophiles? biggrin.gif
post #5459 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post


While playing music off the speaker of their iphone...

Its so annoying..

post #5460 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


+1 i totally agree on the burn brain in thingie..if u check some of my posts through headfi u will read that i think a listening experience is a sum up of the following ingredients
Ur headphone and rest of ur rig
Ur emotional state
Ur physical state
And ur thoughts about HOW good the headphone will sound (expectations)
And even where u are sometimes
But i know a person or two in my personal life who can really be objective about hearing pure differences in 2 phones..without being influenced by expectations and what they read about it..
Am sure here on headfi there are others..
me? No..i am not an objective listener at all..
Sometimes i have a feeling my rig sounds not on his best..but yesterday i didnt sleep at all while listening to some high quality queen recordings..those guys were magicians! OMG As if i was totally emerged into beautiful music..a song even gave me goosebumps..but i think because my day went perfect and i was all relaxed before listening..that i could be in the flow to enjoy all what my sweet rig could give me..and see..i didnt sleep all night.. biggrin.gif
Just wanted to say..buying higher end phones do give u better listening experience..no doubt about it..thats why i have the rig that i have now biggrin.gif ..but it alse depends on the other ingredients of the mix..but hey..its how i feel it..so u can have a different opinion.. tongue.gif

 

I have said many times in many threads that we all hear diffrently, we all have different sound system and musical tastes. so when someone says a pair of headphone sounds too bright, what it really means to me is, according to this person, and  based on all the factors stated before, the same headphones might sound just right on a sound system with a roled off treble.

 

I find you're point of view very interesting, because you are taking this even further by factoring in our mental and physical state, i tend to agree that both these things can play a significant role in our appreciation of music on our sound systems, or any sound system for that matter, definately food for toughts

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones