Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones - Page 357  

post #5341 of 6431

Also when you lent them to your friend to test, was there a proper headphone amp?  if he's trying to drive it outta ipod, then yea, even the HD600 wouldn't sound as good as it should.

post #5342 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobbilly View Post

Also when you lent them to your friend to test, was there a proper headphone amp?  if he's trying to drive it outta ipod, then yea, even the HD600 wouldn't sound as good as it should.

about the amp discussion,just wondering does an unamped HD650/HD600 really sound worse than an unamped HD558/HD598? or is it still better but just not $200 worth of difference?

post #5343 of 6431

Well here's the thing... headphones are always "amped"... even straight through an ipod... all these devices have some kinda amp built in to power earbuds/earphones/headphones.  The typical problem is they don't give enuf to power hungry cans, hence they will require "amplification" from a dedicated amplifier.

 

In regards to your questions though... if someone was willing to shell out for the HD600/650 then just do it... and take some extra time to save up for a dedicated amp later on to reduce the dangers of upgraditis for the HD558/598, where later on you realize that you want to upgrade to 600/650s cause it did happen to me =P
 

post #5344 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobbilly View Post

Well here's the thing... headphones are always "amped"... even straight through an ipod... all these devices have some kinda amp built in to power earbuds/earphones/headphones.  The typical problem is they don't give enuf to power hungry cans, hence they will require "amplification" from a dedicated amplifier.

 

In regards to your questions though... if someone was willing to shell out for the HD600/650 then just do it... and take some extra time to save up for a dedicated amp later on to reduce the dangers of upgraditis for the HD558/598, where later on you realize that you want to upgrade to 600/650s cause it did happen to me =P
 

ah i see thanks for the info
well i myself want to upgrade to a HD650 some time in the future XD its just that money is short...

post #5345 of 6431

hd650 + Bottlehead Crack = HNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG

post #5346 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuloss View Post

i let a friend give my hd600s for a test run(he has dre studios)"eh,theyre ok,but not enough bass,clarity,and "feeling""... my head was bright red for an hour afterwards,from facepalming so hard. do some people just not understand how to enjoy music anymore?

 

 

this fella obv. went full retard...

you never go full retard.

 

music is evidently not supposed to sound like it was recorded in the midst of a devastating earthquake.

post #5347 of 6431
My wife listened to the Stax O2 for the first time and said matter-of-factly: "It doesn't make anything of itself"

Asking her the specify, she said: "There is only sound - you cannot hear the headphone."
post #5348 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post

I don't know, I'm never comfortable enough to mention or try to show others my headphones.  I guess I don't want to seem like a show off. It's weird and people have ask me before "why I buy headphones."  I usually just tell them I like em.

One time though, I was at a friends and family party and was sitting there listen to music with my M50 in the kitchen.  One of the guy there ask me if he could listen to what I am listening to so I paused the music and hand it over. He sat there throughout the song and took them off and was like "wow, those are good...really really good." after that one person after another start to try them out.  All were impress.  The funny thing is, those were my carry around headphone the M50. 

I understand what u mean..when friends or family visits us..most of them say why i have such a big ugly amp in my room and those enormous headphones..they dont understand..sometimes i dont even bother to explain that it sounds heavenly....but when they put my headphones on..they say..wow..never knew he or she could siund so good on a headphone..but still..i never ever tell them what i paid fir them..as for sure they wouldnt understand.. biggrin.gif
post #5349 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdacow View Post

This is actually quite interesting: http://support.asus.com/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguage=en&no=F35E8592-1650-410F-41D0-ABB9279BBFDA&t=2, there is a quote "Sonic Focus is a function which enhances the clarity, brilliance, depth and warmth of all audio playback for both stereo and multi-speaker environment.

Furthermore, it also offers the capability of restoring lost details after been compressed into compressed audio formats such as MP3, which largely enhances the audio fidelity of such audio source." Marketing jargon i suppose?

Maybe it's something similar to Creative's Crystalizer? I think FFDshow also has a software option for something similar. Either way, still much more plausible than a (non-USB) headphone doing that.
post #5350 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

My wife listened to the Stax O2 for the first time and said matter-of-factly: "It doesn't make anything of itself"
Asking her the specify, she said: "There is only sound - you cannot hear the headphone."

What does that even mean! 

 

Sounds like she missed bass impact a closed headphone often provides?

post #5351 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

What does that even mean! 

Sounds like she missed bass impact a closed headphone often provides?
Maybe she meant it sounded realllike..like natural sounding..
post #5352 of 6431

I assume it to mean that there is no typical headphone colouration. 

post #5353 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

I assume it to mean that there is no typical headphone colouration. 

yep..wink.gif  is that even possible? but maybe she felt it like that?

post #5354 of 6431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

My wife listened to the Stax O2 for the first time and said matter-of-factly: "It doesn't make anything of itself"
Asking her the specify, she said: "There is only sound - you cannot hear the headphone."
 

What does that even mean! 

 

Sounds like she missed bass impact a closed headphone often provides?

 

 

Nah - she meant it in a positive way - but I was put of by the matter-of-factliness (Hey!! Those are some of the best headphones in the world!!)

 

But she was indeed to the point - that is how it feels - the individual sounds just linger by themselves in the middle of nowhere. With bad phones you can hear that you are listening to headphones.. 

post #5355 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

Nah - she meant it in a positive way - but I was put of by the matter-of-factliness (Hey!! Those are some of the best headphones in the world!!)

But she was indeed to the point - that is how it feels - the individual sounds just linger by themselves in the middle of nowhere. With bad phones you can hear that you are listening to headphones.. 

Point well taken..best phones must make u believe ur in the music instead of listening to it from the big thingies on ur ears biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones