Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS1itagged by System, 12/8/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 6/13/11
- productFuture Sonics 010-045 Atrio Series M5 Earbuds (Onyx Black)tagged by System, 1/24/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/8/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/8/10
- productSennheiser CX 300 II-Blacktagged by System, 1/24/11
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 12/8/10
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 2/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Are the VMODA M-100 Bassy? Plus other headphones Last post on 12/13/12 at 10:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Fullsize headphone under 200$ Last post on 12/26/12 at 3:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Pro 900 Alternatives Last post on 10/5/11 at 12:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choose :) Last post on 12/11/12 at 9:16am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones - Page 338post #5056 of 643110/20/12 at 10:06am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5057 of 643110/20/12 at 10:11amQuote:Originally Posted by ESCS
I let my girlfriend listen to my previous Genelecs, the 8020B's. I played songs like Joe Cockers "Up where we belong", Michael Jacksons "Earth song" and Clint Mansells "Requiem For a Dream" to her. She sat silently and smiled with her eyes closed. I think she cried a little too.
A friend of mine wanted to know what headphones she should buy, so I let her listen to my IE80's. After three seconds she said "Oh my god, I want these! I have to get these!". She wasn't even shocked when I told her how much they costed, even tough they were out of her price range by about 200 euros
Aren't there quite a few iems that are on par or better than the ie80 that cost LESS than the ie80s?post #5058 of 643110/20/12 at 10:17ampost #5059 of 643110/20/12 at 10:26amQuote:You better marry that girl. I've yet to have much of a reaction to demoing my headphones other than a shrug.
Hah After listening to Beats Studios in a store, she said that they sounded quite bad and distant, and she also said that if she had the money, she would buy a set of custom in-ear monitors (I have educated her quite a lot about hi-fi)post #5060 of 643110/20/12 at 9:30pmpost #5061 of 643110/20/12 at 10:33pm
That story reminded me of another IEM one, in which I gave my S4i to an acquantance for a day becaues she forgot her iBuds at home. The next day, sure enough, she asks where she can buy them and how much they are, and now she's got a pair.post #5062 of 643110/20/12 at 11:01pmpost #5063 of 643110/21/12 at 1:24pm
Had great fun introducing my flatmate to Lana Del Rey's Born to die on my HD25s instead of the £3 buds he uses.
"Oh my god, I can actually hear her!"
Always satisfying showing people the light.post #5064 of 643110/21/12 at 3:49pmpost #5065 of 643110/21/12 at 4:38pm
When I had an exchange student awhile back, he had a girl over he was sort-of dating (he had to leave in a month, so they hadn't declared anything), and we both showed her our various headphones (sexy, I know). I had helped him buy a Klipsch Reference One and an XB500 (he was a basshead on a budget, and the Reference One was bought for well under MSRP) on top of the style-oriented plastic WeSC he already owned, and at the time I had with me an SR80i, HD600, and FA-003. She couldn't tell a different between any of them except the XB500, which obviously sounded different due to the bass.
That demo temporarily ruined my life.post #5066 of 643110/21/12 at 5:06pmQuote:
it was an unfair and invalid test anyway, as my friend HAS not yet have really tested my headphones, and i havent tested his either.
and my friend still made the unjust assumption that his Beats are better. when he HASNT had a listen to mine.
Ahem, we all kind of know what the outcome would/should be, but re-read what you've posted.post #5067 of 643110/21/12 at 5:17pmQuote:
Mmmmm, a great tune and a favourite "demo" song of mine. Any system that can reproduce the intro bass and not fall apart over the climax is a keeperpost #5068 of 643110/21/12 at 6:57pm
Played Knights of Cyadonia to my fiance through my GS1000i. She's a long time fan of that album and was just stunned at all the sounds she'd never heard in the lengthy intro. She pulled them off fairly quickly after the intro though, she was a bit tired at the time and said she was overloaded by the amount of information that was being presented (she's not an analytical type listener). Should probably play her some Massive Attack with my LCD-2s, would probably suit her listening style better.post #5069 of 643110/21/12 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by NZtechfreak
Played Knights of Cyadonia to my fiance through my GS1000i. She's a long time fan of that album and was just stunned at all the sounds she'd never heard in the lengthy intro. She pulled them off fairly quickly after the intro though, she was a bit tired at the time and said she was overloaded by the amount of information that was being presented (she's not an analytical type listener). Should probably play her some Massive Attack with my LCD-2s, would probably suit her listening style better.
Angel is mind glowingly good on a proper rig.post #5070 of 643110/21/12 at 7:51pm
Indeed. I'm really not that big a fan of the LCD-2s, unlike most here (I guess because I listen predominantly to rock of all flavours and metal predominantly, although I do like a bit of nearly everything), but they retain a place in my collection purely for listening to stuff like Massive Attack or vocal jazz.
This thread is locked
- Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Band Name Game II 3 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 29 seconds ago
- › monoprice 9927 earphone any good? 1 minute ago
- › Will the Fiio E18 portable AMP make my S4 really loud? 2 minutes ago
- › Neutron vs Poweramp 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 vs. Shure SE846: Which one is superior in terms... 2 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 3 minutes ago
- › External DAC instead of sound card? 3 minutes ago
- › Best headphones for asus xonar essense STX? 3 minutes ago
- › Best settings for the Xonar STX? 4 minutes ago
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude