Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS1itagged by System, 12/8/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 6/13/11
- productFuture Sonics 010-045 Atrio Series M5 Earbuds (Onyx Black)tagged by System, 1/24/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/8/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/8/10
- productSennheiser CX 300 II-Blacktagged by System, 1/24/11
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 12/8/10
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 2/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Are the VMODA M-100 Bassy? Plus other headphones Last post on 12/13/12 at 10:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Fullsize headphone under 200$ Last post on 12/26/12 at 3:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Pro 900 Alternatives Last post on 10/5/11 at 12:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- new user seeking headphone advice Last post on 9/15/11 at 3:53am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I first had the chance to audition these at the Wikia meet in San Francisco, taking them around and trying them in different rigs. For $4000, they had a lot to live up to. While on the...
Magaosi K3 Pro Review: Triple Threat Magaosi is another Chinese IEM maker to burst onto the Chi-Fi scene. While its IEM portfolio is shallow, it is not without quality. Their new triple-driver...
INTRODUCTION few months back my friend tried these headphones. Few days ago she wanted to buy it from me. And I quote her to start this review off "I've never heard music like I did with this...
I have had the headset for about 12 months now so I will just drop some of my long term expectations to anyone wanting to buy this. I have the second (current) revision of the headphones with the...
*review this right after i have this headphone. burn in test not yet available Lost my AKG K403, my very first HD headphone (to me). Very low on budget, found this, bought it, waited for a near...
Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones - Page 338post #5056 of 643110/20/12 at 10:06am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5057 of 643110/20/12 at 10:11amQuote:Originally Posted by ESCS
I let my girlfriend listen to my previous Genelecs, the 8020B's. I played songs like Joe Cockers "Up where we belong", Michael Jacksons "Earth song" and Clint Mansells "Requiem For a Dream" to her. She sat silently and smiled with her eyes closed. I think she cried a little too.
A friend of mine wanted to know what headphones she should buy, so I let her listen to my IE80's. After three seconds she said "Oh my god, I want these! I have to get these!". She wasn't even shocked when I told her how much they costed, even tough they were out of her price range by about 200 euros
Aren't there quite a few iems that are on par or better than the ie80 that cost LESS than the ie80s?post #5058 of 643110/20/12 at 10:17ampost #5059 of 643110/20/12 at 10:26amQuote:You better marry that girl. I've yet to have much of a reaction to demoing my headphones other than a shrug.
Hah After listening to Beats Studios in a store, she said that they sounded quite bad and distant, and she also said that if she had the money, she would buy a set of custom in-ear monitors (I have educated her quite a lot about hi-fi)post #5060 of 643110/20/12 at 9:30pmpost #5061 of 643110/20/12 at 10:33pm
That story reminded me of another IEM one, in which I gave my S4i to an acquantance for a day becaues she forgot her iBuds at home. The next day, sure enough, she asks where she can buy them and how much they are, and now she's got a pair.post #5062 of 643110/20/12 at 11:01pmpost #5063 of 643110/21/12 at 1:24pm
Had great fun introducing my flatmate to Lana Del Rey's Born to die on my HD25s instead of the £3 buds he uses.
"Oh my god, I can actually hear her!"
Always satisfying showing people the light.post #5064 of 643110/21/12 at 3:49pmpost #5065 of 643110/21/12 at 4:38pm
When I had an exchange student awhile back, he had a girl over he was sort-of dating (he had to leave in a month, so they hadn't declared anything), and we both showed her our various headphones (sexy, I know). I had helped him buy a Klipsch Reference One and an XB500 (he was a basshead on a budget, and the Reference One was bought for well under MSRP) on top of the style-oriented plastic WeSC he already owned, and at the time I had with me an SR80i, HD600, and FA-003. She couldn't tell a different between any of them except the XB500, which obviously sounded different due to the bass.
That demo temporarily ruined my life.post #5066 of 643110/21/12 at 5:06pmQuote:
it was an unfair and invalid test anyway, as my friend HAS not yet have really tested my headphones, and i havent tested his either.
and my friend still made the unjust assumption that his Beats are better. when he HASNT had a listen to mine.
Ahem, we all kind of know what the outcome would/should be, but re-read what you've posted.post #5067 of 643110/21/12 at 5:17pmQuote:
Mmmmm, a great tune and a favourite "demo" song of mine. Any system that can reproduce the intro bass and not fall apart over the climax is a keeperpost #5068 of 643110/21/12 at 6:57pm
Played Knights of Cyadonia to my fiance through my GS1000i. She's a long time fan of that album and was just stunned at all the sounds she'd never heard in the lengthy intro. She pulled them off fairly quickly after the intro though, she was a bit tired at the time and said she was overloaded by the amount of information that was being presented (she's not an analytical type listener). Should probably play her some Massive Attack with my LCD-2s, would probably suit her listening style better.post #5069 of 643110/21/12 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by NZtechfreak
Played Knights of Cyadonia to my fiance through my GS1000i. She's a long time fan of that album and was just stunned at all the sounds she'd never heard in the lengthy intro. She pulled them off fairly quickly after the intro though, she was a bit tired at the time and said she was overloaded by the amount of information that was being presented (she's not an analytical type listener). Should probably play her some Massive Attack with my LCD-2s, would probably suit her listening style better.
Angel is mind glowingly good on a proper rig.post #5070 of 643110/21/12 at 7:51pm
Indeed. I'm really not that big a fan of the LCD-2s, unlike most here (I guess because I listen predominantly to rock of all flavours and metal predominantly, although I do like a bit of nearly everything), but they retain a place in my collection purely for listening to stuff like Massive Attack or vocal jazz.
This thread is locked
- Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Breathable headphones (around ear) for sweaty ears 46 seconds ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 2 minutes ago
- › Dita Audio Flagship - "The Dream" 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 6 minutes ago
- › Cat-Fi 6 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 7 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › AKG K 550 by SOULSIK
- › Sennheiser G4ME ZERO Over-Ear Gaming Headset by Jetpil0t
- › Superlux HD 681 by IkuMiku96
- › Lotoo Paw Gold by EagleWings
- › JVC HA-FX101 by PETEBULL
- › Etymotic ER4XR by HiFiChris
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Aornic
- › Accutone Pisces HD by Cinder
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear