Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS1itagged by System, 12/8/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 6/13/11
- productFuture Sonics 010-045 Atrio Series M5 Earbuds (Onyx Black)tagged by System, 1/24/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 12/8/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 12/8/10
- productSennheiser CX 300 II-Blacktagged by System, 1/24/11
- productShure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 12/8/10
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 2/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Are the VMODA M-100 Bassy? Plus other headphones Last post on 12/13/12 at 10:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Fullsize headphone under 200$ Last post on 12/26/12 at 3:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone Pro 900 Alternatives Last post on 10/5/11 at 12:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- new user seeking headphone advice Last post on 9/15/11 at 3:53am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The Emotiva DC-1 Stealth DAC is frankly, an incredible value. The only other products I can think of that offers such a complete and capable skill set for such a low cost are the Koss KSC75,...
This is a very comfortable headphone (not ideally so, but close enough) and once you get used to the clap force, you barely notice it's on. The sound quality is amazing. I have compared this...
First of all, thank you to @ejong7 for arranging for me to be included in this review tour. I am in no way affiliated with Obravo or any retailer. I am head-fi hobbyist and music lover...
Where do I start? These honestly sound like the HD600/650 in IEM form. My previous go to IEM was the Klipsch X10 ($100), followed by the Klipsch X20i ($539). What is amazing, is that the RE-400...
I want to thank the MezeTeam over at Head Fi for allowing me the chance to review the 99 Classics as part of their Tour. You can purchase the 99 Classics in three colors right from their...
Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones - Page 338post #5056 of 643110/20/12 at 10:06am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5057 of 643110/20/12 at 10:11amQuote:Originally Posted by ESCS
I let my girlfriend listen to my previous Genelecs, the 8020B's. I played songs like Joe Cockers "Up where we belong", Michael Jacksons "Earth song" and Clint Mansells "Requiem For a Dream" to her. She sat silently and smiled with her eyes closed. I think she cried a little too.
A friend of mine wanted to know what headphones she should buy, so I let her listen to my IE80's. After three seconds she said "Oh my god, I want these! I have to get these!". She wasn't even shocked when I told her how much they costed, even tough they were out of her price range by about 200 euros
Aren't there quite a few iems that are on par or better than the ie80 that cost LESS than the ie80s?post #5058 of 643110/20/12 at 10:17ampost #5059 of 643110/20/12 at 10:26amQuote:You better marry that girl. I've yet to have much of a reaction to demoing my headphones other than a shrug.
Hah After listening to Beats Studios in a store, she said that they sounded quite bad and distant, and she also said that if she had the money, she would buy a set of custom in-ear monitors (I have educated her quite a lot about hi-fi)post #5060 of 643110/20/12 at 9:30pmpost #5061 of 643110/20/12 at 10:33pm
That story reminded me of another IEM one, in which I gave my S4i to an acquantance for a day becaues she forgot her iBuds at home. The next day, sure enough, she asks where she can buy them and how much they are, and now she's got a pair.post #5062 of 643110/20/12 at 11:01pmpost #5063 of 643110/21/12 at 1:24pm
Had great fun introducing my flatmate to Lana Del Rey's Born to die on my HD25s instead of the £3 buds he uses.
"Oh my god, I can actually hear her!"
Always satisfying showing people the light.post #5064 of 643110/21/12 at 3:49pmpost #5065 of 643110/21/12 at 4:38pm
When I had an exchange student awhile back, he had a girl over he was sort-of dating (he had to leave in a month, so they hadn't declared anything), and we both showed her our various headphones (sexy, I know). I had helped him buy a Klipsch Reference One and an XB500 (he was a basshead on a budget, and the Reference One was bought for well under MSRP) on top of the style-oriented plastic WeSC he already owned, and at the time I had with me an SR80i, HD600, and FA-003. She couldn't tell a different between any of them except the XB500, which obviously sounded different due to the bass.
That demo temporarily ruined my life.post #5066 of 643110/21/12 at 5:06pmQuote:
it was an unfair and invalid test anyway, as my friend HAS not yet have really tested my headphones, and i havent tested his either.
and my friend still made the unjust assumption that his Beats are better. when he HASNT had a listen to mine.
Ahem, we all kind of know what the outcome would/should be, but re-read what you've posted.post #5067 of 643110/21/12 at 5:17pmQuote:
Mmmmm, a great tune and a favourite "demo" song of mine. Any system that can reproduce the intro bass and not fall apart over the climax is a keeperpost #5068 of 643110/21/12 at 6:57pm
Played Knights of Cyadonia to my fiance through my GS1000i. She's a long time fan of that album and was just stunned at all the sounds she'd never heard in the lengthy intro. She pulled them off fairly quickly after the intro though, she was a bit tired at the time and said she was overloaded by the amount of information that was being presented (she's not an analytical type listener). Should probably play her some Massive Attack with my LCD-2s, would probably suit her listening style better.post #5069 of 643110/21/12 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by NZtechfreak
Played Knights of Cyadonia to my fiance through my GS1000i. She's a long time fan of that album and was just stunned at all the sounds she'd never heard in the lengthy intro. She pulled them off fairly quickly after the intro though, she was a bit tired at the time and said she was overloaded by the amount of information that was being presented (she's not an analytical type listener). Should probably play her some Massive Attack with my LCD-2s, would probably suit her listening style better.
Angel is mind glowingly good on a proper rig.post #5070 of 643110/21/12 at 7:51pm
Indeed. I'm really not that big a fan of the LCD-2s, unlike most here (I guess because I listen predominantly to rock of all flavours and metal predominantly, although I do like a bit of nearly everything), but they retain a place in my collection purely for listening to stuff like Massive Attack or vocal jazz.
This thread is locked
- Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 17 seconds ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 29 seconds ago
- › A Bit of Music and a Bit of Fun 39 seconds ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 3 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › Heaphones Amp doubts 3 minutes ago
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by achelgeson
- › Meze 99 Classics by Mshenay
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by C.C.S.
- › Effect Audio Leonidas by MikePortnoy
- › Brainwavz BLU-200 by DynamikeB
- › Marantz HD- DAC1High Definition USB DAC / Headphone Amp by Gamergtx260
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by flinkenick
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...