Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones - Page 253  

post #3781 of 6431

Im showed a girl i know my Shure 940.  She just said they weren't that loud while looking confused because everyone knows that good = loud(when running out of a pmp).  She said i was insane for spending $300 on them, i asked her where we would put the people ive met that spent ~$20000 if i should go to a looney bin for $300.


Edited by John In Cali - 12/29/11 at 6:23pm
post #3782 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakushiki View Post

 Frankly, headphones and music should sound the way the user wants.


That would be wrong. There's standards needed here because every user wants to hear a little different sound. Fun for audiophiles if the average joe that loves his beats would love to have all headphones have at least a 10-15dB boost in bass. :P For them it just sounds appropriate, far from overhelming at all.

 

post #3783 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by John In Cali View Post

Im showed a girl i know my Shure 940.  She just said they weren't that loud while looking confused because everyone knows that good = loud(when running out of a pmp.  She said i was insane for spending $300 on them, i asked her where we would put the people ive met that spent ~$20000 if i should go to a looney bin for $300.

 

That's pretty sad. It shows how consumer headphones have such abysmal lowest common denominator sound quality, people don't recognize a need except wanting it "louder" or wanting "moar bass!!!1!!1".

 

Which makes me think... quality headphones can save your hearing because you don't need to turn the volume up to hear the music better most of the time, which can be something the abysmal dynamic range of cheap headphones encourages.


How loud do people need things? My laptop drives my SRH940 unbearably loud, but the sound quality is just a bit muddier across the spectrum versus a proper amp.

post #3784 of 6431

 

Quote:
i asked her where we would put the people ive met that spent ~$20000 if i should go to a looney bin for $300.

 

 

Yea where would she send me for using a Perfect Wave Transport $2000 + Perfect wave DAC $2000, Liquid fire $3200 + LCD-2.2 $995

 

$8200 spent on a head-fi rig, where do I end up?

 

The super-looney bin?

post #3785 of 6431

^ some would argue "yes" :P

post #3786 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

 

That's pretty sad. It shows how consumer headphones have such abysmal lowest common denominator sound quality, people don't recognize a need except wanting it "louder" or wanting "moar bass!!!1!!1".

 


 

Agreed. I don't understand why people are like, "Beats are the best, they're SO loud!"

 

Really... loud? Alright then, how about I destroy your hearing by making my headphones so loud that you'll go deaf? Seems like a plan, since that's what you get by having them "loud".

 

It also intrigued me when I asked my friend (who was interested in buying Sennheiser IEM's, but not one more than $100) whether I should mod my T50RP's for more bass or more treble. He said bass, of course. Why? "I don't know."

 

:/

post #3787 of 6431

 

Quote:^ some would argue "yes" :P
 
 
Well I get the same reaction when people find out what a Harley Davidson Dresser goes for now a days.
 
$20,000+
 
Ai n't no beats or motorscooter that would come close.
 
After all it is just $ and I can't take it with me.

 

post #3788 of 6431

Agreed. I don't understand why people are like, "Beats are the best, they're SO loud!"

> Really... loud? Alright then, how about I destroy your hearing by making my headphones so loud that you'll go deaf? Seems like a plan, since that's what you get by having them "loud".

 

Exactly what I would be thinking. "Oh so you say Beats are the best because they're loud? Hey come over here and try these HD650s (turning full powered hp amp to 80% volume)." Maybe not such a good idea though, that would probably rupture ear drums. But that makes them good, right? :P

post #3789 of 6431

My mother was "disappointed" at me because I "wasted my money" on a pair of Ultraonse HFi-780s. I had her try them on and she started laughing at how fantastic they really are.

Mothers approve of Ultrasone haha.

post #3790 of 6431

My wife has no interest in sound quality, but enjoys listening to music.  She always asks me to "turn the noise down" - ugh.  That one gets me.  But now that we have a sonos system she is happy to DJ too.  Give and take.  

post #3791 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider469 View Post

My mother was "disappointed" at me because I "wasted my money" on a pair of Ultraonse HFi-780s. I had her try them on and she started laughing at how fantastic they really are.

Mothers approve of Ultrasone haha.



That tends to happen a lot... until Mom gets to try out what we "wasted our money" on. My mom insisted she didn't need or want a kindle... until my Aunt and Unche got her one for her birthday. Now you can't pry it out of her hand. And her "I don't need a new TV" only lasted as long as it took to hook up her new 40" HDTV I got her for Xmas. beyersmile.png

post #3792 of 6431

My roomate thinks that Beats sound better than my HD-650's, which in turn sound better than my K 702's, which in turn he prefers to my HD 800's. All through a Grace m903. Sigh.

post #3793 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Graw View Post

My roomate thinks that Beats sound better than my HD-650's, which in turn sound better than my K 702's, which in turn he prefers to my HD 800's. All through a Grace m903. Sigh.



 Lots and lots of 'burger meal' quality bass ~ it's what some people like smile.gif

post #3794 of 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Graw View Post

My roomate thinks that Beats sound better than my HD-650's, which in turn sound better than my K 702's, which in turn he prefers to my HD 800's. All through a Grace m903. Sigh.

Have you ever given him extensive time with them? I always say if someone isnt impressed off the hat, give them a night loaded up with their favorite tunes in FLAC and see how they do. Now if he listens to a lot of stuff that is badly recorded then it could lead to that reaction. But I still believe that you dont need to have an absolutely amazing recording to enjoy a good headphone, it just cant be terrible for those higher tier headphones probably. But I wonder if that thought of mine will change come at the end of the month when I get to hear some stax 009, hd800, and many other high tier cans for the first time.

Im so excited >_<, I'll defintely post my reaction here despite it being slightly off topic.
post #3795 of 6431

My sister got a Denon AH-310R which she's so proud of. She always smirks at me when she noticed that I'm looking at her. "Yours not as good as mine eh biggrin.gif", like that.

Then I bought a Sennheiser eH 350, and let her tried it. "Meh, mine's still sounds better than yours". But the smirks are gone since that day biggrin.gif. I noticed mine's only a sub 100$ headphones. But hell, it's one of a gem.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones