or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Audiolab DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Audiolab DAC - Page 59

post #871 of 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnotts View Post
 

 

 

This thing is criminally under-appreciated around Head-Fi.

 

Yup, M-DAC is not "en vogue" here, but HeadFi.org "fashion" shouldn't affect our enjoyment of that fine DAC :wink_face: 

post #872 of 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondears View Post

Try the Optimal Transient XD and DD. LCD-2F would elicit more mid-bass in XD, more sub-bass in DD (vs plain Optimal Transient). And it has the Mininum Phase filter too. It's like rolling tubes or having as many DAC units.

There are some expert reviewers here saying Sabre DAC chips sucks because they're digitally glary...obviously they haven't heard the Audiolab.

 

+1

And great synergy with my D7000's.

But it shines with just about every HP I own...

post #873 of 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

+1
And great synergy with my D7000's.
But it shines with just about every HP I own...
My Audiolab 8200CD doesn't have a HP out, but using the O2 I don't feel the need at all for an "expensive" or "bigger" amp. Just curious, how does the M-DAC HP out/amp fair with the O2, if you (or anybody) got the chance to hear them.
post #874 of 877

I've been primarily using the M-DAC as of late.

 

It truly does shine with absolutely all of my headphones. I still feel like I'm in the honeymoon phase of owning it, I get a big smile every time I listen to music.

 

LCD-X's, HD800's, LCD-2F's, DT-880's... Everything straight from the headphone amp on the M-DAC. They all sound amazing. I've actually been using the DT-880's mostly because they're by far my most comfortable headphones, and the M-DAC still keeps them sounding fantastic.

 

If you have the right cable (2x female XLR) apparently you can use the XLR outputs on the back of the M-DAC to drive your headphones balanced. This doubles the power output and has improved specifications over the single ended headphone output. So I ordered the cable for my LCD-X's ^_^

 

Again, this seems criminally under-appreciated!

post #875 of 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnotts View Post

I've been primarily using the M-DAC as of late.

It truly does shine with absolutely all of my headphones. I still feel like I'm in the honeymoon phase of owning it, I get a big smile every time I listen to music.

LCD-X's, HD800's, LCD-2F's, DT-880's... Everything straight from the headphone amp on the M-DAC. They all sound amazing. I've actually been using the DT-880's mostly because they're by far my most comfortable headphones, and the M-DAC still keeps them sounding fantastic.

If you have the right cable (2x female XLR) apparently you can use the XLR outputs on the back of the M-DAC to drive your headphones balanced. This doubles the power output and has improved specifications over the single ended headphone output. So I ordered the cable for my LCD-X's ^_^

Again, this seems criminally under-appreciated!
Yes, under-appreciated indeed. Not sure why. Maybe because it's British, eh?
post #876 of 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondears View Post


Yes, under-appreciated indeed. Not sure why. Maybe because it's British, eh?

It seems like a lot of British hi-fi equipment gets missed around here!

post #877 of 877

I've been using the HD800's balanced from the M-DAC today. This is the best I've ever heard the HD800's - the improvement over the single-ended headphone output was bigger than I ever expected. The HD800's sound so much less sterile/clinical and so much more musical, but the technical abilities of the headphones have only improved.

 

I own the following amps:

Schiit Vali

Matrix M-Stage (Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone)

M-DAC single-ended headphone amp (VERY similar to the M-Stage, extremely hard to tell apart)

Gustard H10 (Violectric V200 clone, and then improved in some ways)

 

The Vali is awesome for the price with the HD800's, but driving them balanced from the M-DAC is even better. I'll be getting the Valhalla 2 soon and I'll see if that provides more improvement for the Senn's. 


Edited by Arnotts - 7/25/15 at 2:01am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Audiolab DAC