Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Audiolab DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Audiolab DAC - Page 6

post #76 of 859

i-peng is a slick app. I don't have any music on my ipod touch but have the choice to stream (lossless) to either the squeezebox or ipod touch (or even future squeezeboxes) so even if I'm in the garden etc I can still access and listen to ALL my music. The squeezbox comes with it's own controller but I prefer i-peng on the touch.

post #77 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post

i-peng is a slick app. I don't have any music on my ipod touch but have the choice to stream (lossless) to either the squeezebox or ipod touch (or even future squeezeboxes) so even if I'm in the garden etc I can still access and listen to ALL my music. The squeezbox comes with it's own controller but I prefer i-peng on the touch.


Hi SpudHarris. You are the perfect person whom I should speak to as I am setting up a wirless music network for my home too.

Ive looked into i-Peng and Apple Remote. Having used only the Apple Remote before, would you be able to let me know what are the advantages of the i-Peng over the Remote?

 

Thanks again.
 

 

post #78 of 859

Not used remote for ages but still have the app. I must have chosen i-peng for a reason but can't think why. I will have a play with remote and report back the differences....

post #79 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post

Not used remote for ages but still have the app. I must have chosen i-peng for a reason but can't think why. I will have a play with remote and report back the differences....


Thanks SH!
 

 

post #80 of 859

Ok, this is a lot easier than I thought....

 

Remote controls itunes from your PC, it's a nice interface but that's all it does really. If you want to listen you have to have your gear connected to your PC unless it is equiped with ''Airplay'' which a lot of new stuff is now days. i-peng however, is a specific app for controlling Squeezebox and I think if you want to go wireless, this is the route to go. I use it every day without fail and it is seamless.

 

The Squeezebox even has it's own built in DAC so you don't have to worry about an external DAC if you don't have one yet, I've never used it so can't comment on the quality but I believe it to be a Wolfson chip.

 

So, see the unit below, feed the digital to your M-Dac to do it's magic. Control all your music wirelessly via i-peng job done!

 

Apple lossless is converted to 705kbps FLAC if you are wondering what the quality is like. Anything else is streamed as is.

 

a65d0b%7C09d9_7287-squeezeboxduetimg1.jpg

post #81 of 859


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post

Ok, this is a lot easier than I thought....

 

Remote controls itunes from your PC, it's a nice interface but that's all it does really. If you want to listen you have to have your gear connected to your PC unless it is equiped with ''Airplay'' which a lot of new stuff is now days. i-peng however, is a specific app for controlling Squeezebox and I think if you want to go wireless, this is the route to go. I use it every day without fail and it is seamless.

 

The Squeezebox even has it's own built in DAC so you don't have to worry about an external DAC if you don't have one yet, I've never used it so can't comment on the quality but I believe it to be a Wolfson chip.

 

So, see the unit below, feed the digital to your M-Dac to do it's magic. Control all your music wirelessly via i-peng job done!

 

Apple lossless is converted to 705kbps FLAC if you are wondering what the quality is like. Anything else is streamed as is.

 

 

Thanks Spud! I will def give SB a go for my bedroom setup where I plan to listen to my headphones. For the rest of the rooms where music is needed by my wife and son for background music, I will simply setup Airport Expresses for them. 

 

The wait for the MDAC is excruciating. The Singapore dealer says it will reach by mid Dec. i hope he delivers, but I'm skeptical. Maybe just my own way of playing down when I can get my unit. 

 

Are you using a generic USB cable like what John Westlake recommends or something nice?

 

Cheers. 

 

John

 

 


 

 

 

post #82 of 859

Does anyone know anything about headamp section specifications?

How good is the headamp section?

 

post #83 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurpapa View Post

 

 

Are you using a generic USB cable like what John Westlake recommends or something nice?

 

Cheers. 

 

John

 


 

I'm not using USB at all, I just feed coax from the squeezebox. I haven't even tried the USB. What I would say on that subject though is that I have tried several different USB's (both generic and boutique) with my CLAS set up and I could not hear any difference at all. Before anyone says anything, I am a believer in cables making a difference but I don't think they do with digital.
 

 


Edited by SpudHarris - 11/27/11 at 2:33am
post #84 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post




 

I'm not using USB at all, I just feed coax from the squeezebox. I haven't even tried the USB. What I would say on that subject though is that I have tried several different USB's (both generic and boutique) with my CLAS set up and I could not hear any difference at all. Before anyone says anything, I am a believer in cables making a difference but I don't think they do with digital.
 

 

 

Great. Thanks for the feedback Spud. I agree with you on that for sure!
 

 

 

post #85 of 859

hi all, I am thinking of getting this DAC for my main 2 ch system (cd transport and Ipod via pure I20). In terms of the sound quality, how it is compared to W4S, Buffalo or MiniMax? I am just a little worry about good looking chinese thingy. Any advice? Is it that good?


Edited by artemkv - 11/28/11 at 3:50pm
post #86 of 859

Damn, It looks like a scaled down Weiss 202... Even has the same chip. tongue.gif

 

Very interested in further impressions.

post #87 of 859

Sad news if, like me, you waited until the last moment to try to get an order into the North American distributor. I just received an email from them today saying they are completely sold out of this coming pre-order shipment, and the next wave of available units would have an estimated ship date of early March.

 

 


Edited by runswithaliens - 11/29/11 at 5:41pm
post #88 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithaliens View Post

Sad news if, like me, you waited until the last moment to try to get an order into the North American distributor. I just received an email from them today saying they are completely sold out of this coming pre-order shipment, and the next wave of available units would have an estimated ship date of early March.

 

 


The MDAC does seem to be attracting all sorts of attention. Hadn't realized they'd be back-ordered to this extent though. Thanks for the update.

 

o

 

post #89 of 859

Alreadt 4 folks from UK sold their M-dacs, one of them because he likes the DacMagic more.

post #90 of 859
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie View Post


 

Alreadt 4 folks from UK sold their M-dacs, one of them because he likes the DacMagic more.


Find that very hard to believe, they are not even in the same league. Maybe he's got cloth ears!
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Audiolab DAC