Recent Images In This Thread
- productArcam rDactagged by System, 6/2/12
- productAudiolab 8200CDtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAudiolab M-DACtagged by System, 6/2/12
- productCambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plustagged by System, 6/2/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/2/12
- productDangerous Music Sourcetagged by AudioMan612, 2/23/15
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/2/12
- productIBasso D2 Boatagged by System, 6/13/12
- productOPPO BDP-95 Universal Blu-ray Playertagged by System, 6/2/12
Related Forum Threads
- DAC to match Graham Slee Solo and HD650 Last post on 6/11/12 at 12:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Better Values than the DacMagic Plus? Last post on 7/7/12 at 10:58am in Dedicated Source Components
- DAC woes Last post on 9/20/12 at 12:54am in Dedicated Source Components
- Can changing a DAC's power supply damage it? Last post on 2/24/16 at 9:19am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Which DAC to buy? Last post on 9/29/12 at 11:58am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
There are a few brands that could be considered a powerhouse in the world of audio and headphones and beyerdynamic is without a doubt one of them. beyerdynamic has been family owned since...
REVIEWER INTRODUCTION First of all, I want to introduce my gear while writing this review. I'm using my AKG K612 PRO headphone with my Fiio X3 2nd Gen dedicated DAP. Currently I don't own any...
Preamble Whilst I have been an audio enthusiast for many years now, I must admit I have never really been all that interested in using any kind of esoteric cables with my systems. I have always...
Preamble: It is finally happening – Brainwavz Audio is making in-ears with Balanced Armature drivers again. After they were introduced to the public few months ago, the two single-BA...
The Lyra, released back in 2014-15 was refreshed along with Campfire Audio's dynamic and hybrid lineup as the Lyra II, and is a personal single dynamic driver favourite. We would like to thank...
New Audiolab DAC - Page 25post #361 of 8783/31/12 at 2:46am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #362 of 8783/31/12 at 5:20ampost #363 of 8783/31/12 at 7:28amQuote:Originally Posted by estreeter
And that is exactly the same claim being made by owners of the W4S, Yulong D18 and a host of other DACs in this highly competitive segment. I posted the link to the impressions claiming that the NAD M51 trumps the M-DAC, but again its a single, subjective opinion. I know this thread isn't about measurements, but the 'better than DACs costing 2-3 times as much' line is starting to get repetitive. I'm all for VFM, but wouldnt 'excellent bang-for-buck' suffice ? Unless you've spent extensive periods with 'Dacs upwards of 2-3 grand', and are prepared to give specific comparisons, its the equivalent of me telling you my Mazda 3 smokes cars costing 2-3 times as much when I put my foot down .....
Just my opinion, I'm entitled to an opinion aren't I?. If you want to test it objectively get out your
Measuring equipment . Let me know what you you find comparing it to Bryston,BelCanto,Weiss,
Etc.post #364 of 8783/31/12 at 8:08am
I guess some people just want to be more scientific and just let them be. To us, hearing is believing.
It actually doesn't matter there are people willing to try out MDAC cos stock are never ready and on shelve. Audio lab has not been able to fullfill orders.
to Stress, I don't earn anything saying MDAC are my preference best value for money DAC in the market now.
Quote:post #365 of 8783/31/12 at 11:29amQuote:
And you've heard all of the kit from those manufacturers, for extended periods in your own rig ? I specifically said 'this isnt a thread about measurements' - Mauricio is the measurements nut. I'd be happier if you had even heard any of the 'upwards of 2-3k DACs' you seem to feel belong on the scrapheap.post #366 of 8784/1/12 at 1:41am
This is why I really only pay attention to people like Project 86 who have owned a LOT of kit and done extended listening with it (i.e. they don't review it after having it 3 days) before submitting a review. As he states, his reviews are just his opinion and to his tastes but I have more faith in this kind of review and find it easier to figure out what I want via it than someone reviewing something who has bought it as their first or second component. While I haven't found the former type of review for the M-DAC, I've owned anothe Sabre-based DAC briefly (a couple of weeks) and found it a clear step up over my previous DAC (realism of voices/instruments/depth of soundstage on good recordings etc) so... it's worth a pot.
The only thing is now, all this talk of the new Schiit DACs has turned my head, although the statement one won't be till the end of the year at least so I'm sure I can have a good innings with the M-DAC, lol. I just love DACs! My vice given I use active speakers and don't have to play the stereo amp game. In terms of buying and selling it's only a small loss each time and hey, it's a hobby. Some of my friends blow loads of money on drinking at the weekend, I only drink a little and concentrate on hi-fi lol.
Edited by Somnambulist - 4/1/12 at 1:43ampost #367 of 8784/1/12 at 2:25am
The upcoming Schiit DAC eschews Sabre. I wonder whether it will actually bring something new/better to the table. I mean, it's not like the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC-A is not already there at that price point...post #368 of 8784/1/12 at 2:37ampost #369 of 8784/1/12 at 7:57am
I am in the same boat. I've been researching and wanting to buy a DAC for over 2 years ! Other "toys" kept getting in the way of the DAC, but now is the right time for me and I don't really want to wait until the end of the year or longer to see what the Schiit statement will be about. The Anedio D2 is very high on my list of wants, but the MDAC is cheaper and said to be quite good indeed.
Last Friday I went in to a local shop and listened to the Audiolab 8200CD and 8200DQ to get a feel for the sound of ESS. Both those units apparently have the same DAC chips, but the MDAC is supposed to be "tweaked" to sound better, that's what I was told anyways. I compared both units agains each other, against a new TEAC DAC and the WeissD2 unit.
Bottom line, the Audiolab gear sounds very nice to me and in line with what others have said ie: detailed, excellent sound stage both in width and depth, excellent bass, great dynamics etc..I did however find the vocals somewhat recessed and overall mids slightly dark, but still very enjoyable. Of note is that with different cables, they sounded different from each other, but with the same cables they sounded exactly the same.
The WeissD2 was remarkable in that it reached deeper and pulled up more detail, more information, it extracted every bit of sound that was there. It was a little lighter in Bass than the AL units, but I sitll preferred the overall sound of the Weiss, I just don't have the budget for it !
The TEAC was decent for the price, but no where near the same SQ as the AL and obviously not even close to the WeissD2. But on a thight budget, it's woth a listen with other DACs in same price point.
One issue I have with the MDAC is availability !.. it's currently back ordered until mid May possibly longer.. and because they sell out even before they are in stock, there is no demo on the shelf to listen to. Like he told me, they are all sold before they even reach the store..so no need to have one out on the shelf at this point.
P.S has anyone seen any internal pictures of the MDAC ? I can't find any.. and it would be nice to see the insides..
Edited by Riker - 4/1/12 at 7:59ampost #370 of 8784/1/12 at 9:56amQuote:
I had this saved on my PC, I found it somewhere on the Internet. It's supposedly a pre-production unit but should be mostly identical.
post #371 of 8784/1/12 at 10:33am
Thanks so much !!
Do you know if this DAC is or will be hardware upgradable ? I've heard talk about firmware updates via USB but was wondering if it was hardware upgradable like I believe the Bifrost is.
Rikerpost #372 of 8784/1/12 at 10:35ampost #373 of 8784/1/12 at 12:51pm
The D18 is just a DAC, the M-DAC has the digital pre and headphone amp as well so naturally there's more stuff inside, although the power section is external. In terms of hardware upgrades I know the main one will be this M-PAX thing which is an external power supply the same form factor as the M-DAC which you plug in instead of the stock power brick thing. There is a list somewhere, and this is all Westlake stuff not Audiolab btw.post #374 of 8784/1/12 at 1:31pm
This is what we've been waiting for. Or at least I have.
M-DAC headphone amplifier compared to a four channel Beta22 using LCD2:post #375 of 8784/1/12 at 2:19pm
I have to agree that the headphone amp is surprisingly good with my JVC DX1000 and the T1 I had on loan, sounding nearly as good as my Little Dot MKVI+ but my HE-500 sounded noticeably better on the LD. The head amp is of great quality but doesn't seems to output must juice so might not be so good with low sensitivity cans.
- New Audiolab DAC
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 second ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread 10 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 47 seconds ago
- › MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 3 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › How can I calculate my listening level on some cases? 4 minutes ago
- › WTB Koss Pro4aaa vintage headphone. 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Mustainized
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5 by NCSUZoSo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by FortisFlyer75
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear