Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Audiolab DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Audiolab DAC - Page 8

post #106 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post



 

I'm feeding my phones directly from the M-Dac xlr's because you can control the output, for headphones you leave out the ground (pin 1). How many pins does the connector of the 71B have? The Hirose is 6 pin so for an interconnect from the M-Dac to my PB-2 I would use all 6 pins 2 x Pos / 2 x Neg / 2 x Grd
 

 

 

Hi Spud. The Protector has 4 pins and it's configuration would be a L and R +- sort of arrangement. As I am quite the electrical noob, may I ask what is the advantage of having a ground (that is, why would some designers choose a 6 pin connector over a 4 pin connector) please? Thanks!!

 


 

 

6451622161_0538a693f7.jpg


Edited by Blurpapa - 12/4/11 at 1:47am
post #107 of 857

Ok this unit seems to tick all the requisite boxes for me. If it comes in at <$1000AUD then I'm diving in. Anyone know of Australian based resellers and when it may be available here?

post #108 of 857

Can someone do pictures of the inside? Because I think you're drinking kool-aid for paying that much money for a DAC with that power supply.

post #109 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

Ok this unit seems to tick all the requisite boxes for me. If it comes in at <$1000AUD then I'm diving in. Anyone know of Australian based resellers and when it may be available here?

 

You could try asking JohnW in this Pink Fish Media forum thread.

 

post #110 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post

The only problem is this Dac has not been reviewed by someone who is eloquent with words or admired in this community.

 

Audiolab wants this Dac to sell on its own merit, which is a mistake.  The audiophile community is highly influenced by reviews and rumor.


Considering it's sold out in the UK, NA pre-orders are sold out and there appears to now be waiting lists, I don't think Audiolab is having many issues selling the DAC.

 


Edited by elnero - 12/4/11 at 4:31am
post #111 of 857


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post

The only problem is this Dac has not been reviewed by someone who is eloquent with words or admired in this community.

 

Audiolab wants this Dac to sell on its own merit, which is a mistake.  The audiophile community is highly influenced by reviews and rumor.


Due to reach shores of major markets outside of the UK within a week. We should have reviews coming in from more familiar names soon. 

 

 

post #112 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurpapa View Post


 


Due to reach shores of major markets outside of the UK within a week. We should have reviews coming in from more familiar names soon. 

 

 


I'm not sure if it will actually be within in a week, it looks like the NA shipment at least won't arrive until late December or early January.

 

post #113 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post




I'm not sure if it will actually be within in a week, it looks like the NA shipment at least won't arrive until late December or early January.

 


Fingers crossed! o2smile.gif

 

 

post #114 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurpapa View Post

 

Hi Spud. The Protector has 4 pins and it's configuration would be a L and R +- sort of arrangement. As I am quite the electrical noob, may I ask what is the advantage of having a ground (that is, why would some designers choose a 6 pin connector over a 4 pin connector) please? Thanks!!


 

 

6451622161_0538a693f7.jpg


I'm not a proper expert either and I'm also unfamiliar with the connectors of the 71B. If there are only 4 pins for the balanced input then I would just forget about ground. In fact to put your mind at rest I will connect my xlr to Hirose headphone adapter (4 wires as per your 71B connector) to the balanced input of my PB-2 and report back (if I haven't been blown to the moon that is haha)

 

post #115 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post

(if I haven't been blown to the moon that is haha)

 


 

Hahaha. That's EXACTLY how I feel after I've completed any sort of DIY electrical project. In this field, I substitute knowledge with prayer atsmile.gif

Thanks Spud beerchug.gif

 

post #116 of 857

So I've checked and I'm not sure why Ibasso state that Interconnects need RGround and LGround? I just tried my headphone adapter without ground into my balance input of PB-2 and it sounds sublime. I know it is all relevant but the PB-2 sounds substancially better than when fed by DB-2. I think your 71B is going to blow you away fed by the M-Dac....

post #117 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post

So I've checked and I'm not sure why Ibasso state that Interconnects need RGround and LGround? I just tried my headphone adapter without ground into my balance input of PB-2 and it sounds sublime. I know it is all relevant but the PB-2 sounds substancially better than when fed by DB-2. I think your 71B is going to blow you away fed by the M-Dac....


That's it! I am officially going to hibernate until the day I have the MDAC in my hands! Thanks again Spud! Pls re-read post #93 biggrin.gif

 

Let me try to dig up some info on grounding. 


Edited by Blurpapa - 12/4/11 at 10:42am
post #118 of 857

Yeah sorry again....

 

Listening through headphones via xlr's is not as good as the signal being fed to amp (PB-2). There is far more punch/presence via PB-2, I'm glad I tried this coz I hadn't really thought about it. Been feeding single ended to my EF-5.

 

Promise no more teasing now, I'm going to shut up!

post #119 of 857

Soooooooooooo tempted to order the MDAC, but I just put in an order for the DacMagic Plus!  Guess having two DACs could be fun huh? ;)

post #120 of 857

I've seen that on another thread. It's 250 sheets cheaper but it leaves me wondering if it's not just a DacMagic with a pot and headphone out. There is a lot of information/specs regarding the M-Dacs fantastic dedicated class A Headphone Amp etc..... I would be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to get one to satisfy my curiosity as I did love my original DacMagic and the plus now has the features sorely missed for a long. Man this is a PITA!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Audiolab DAC