My mom said I can spend around $400 or so on some good IEMS, custom or universal. I listen to breakcore, electronica, idm, gabber, hardcore, trance, psy-trance, house, electro house, tech house, drum and bass, ambient, chiptunes, j-core, and minimal. I've been recommended the Etymotic ER4P, the Shure SE530, or the UE Triple-Fi. Any recommendations?
- productEarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEMtagged by System, 12/7/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 12/7/10
- productMonster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/7/10
- productMonster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones with ControlTalktagged by System, 12/7/10
- productRadius HP TWF 11rtagged by System, 12/7/10
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/7/10
- productShure SE535-CL Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with Detachable Cable (Clear)tagged by System, 12/7/10
- productWestone 3 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 12/7/10
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 12/7/10
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Proposed IEM audition/trade with other members... Last post on 3/21/11 at 10:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which of the following IEMs do you feel has the best quality cable? Last post on 1/28/11 at 1:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE535's worth upgrading to? Last post on 9/22/12 at 9:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Amature type IEM for hip/hop and rap Last post on 9/25/11 at 11:16am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 12/16/10
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
My my, how time flies. It’s been over a year - and similarly over 136K views - since I wrote my original review for the Beryllium Xiaomi Pistons 2.0, or Xiaomi MK301. During the past year, I’ve...
Level: Amateur Mostly Experience: First Personal Pair We can all agree it's been reviewed too much? Good. My turn please... I'm aware of the reputation these carry, how audio should sound...
I wrote this on Amazon, thought I'd share it with you all. Please, ask questions. Audio Technica has crafted a pair of headphones that might make you second guess your pair of MX50s, or any...
I realize it is a bit of apples vs oranges, but I will compare these to the Sennheiser HD 600 sound, since I sometimes use those to mix recordings with, and many know their sound. Assuming good...
My Amazon Review: I've owned many pieces of high end home audio over the years. Brands like Dali, Audio Research, Krell, Melos, and others. I expect a lot from my gear. In this case, one of the...
I have around $400 to spend, and I want some AWESOME IEMspost #1 of 2412/6/10 at 3:25pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2412/6/10 at 3:38pmpost #3 of 2412/6/10 at 4:03pm
It seems like you want some strong bass for the types of music you are listening to. Since that is the case, I would not go for the ER-4P. The Triple.Fi is good, but there is better (esp. for $400). If you want a Shure IEM, check out the SE535.
IEMs I would recommend you check out:
Monster Turbine Pro Copper
This thread is a great starting point:
With $400, I would not go for customs. Ear impressions, shipping, and other factors could easily eat up $100+ of your budget. You can always get your universals custom tips or a custom reshell later.post #4 of 2412/6/10 at 4:10pmpost #5 of 2412/6/10 at 4:27pmpost #6 of 2412/6/10 at 4:38pm
I own the Etymotic 4p's, they never get used since I got the Shure SE530's, which I use daily. I now also have Shure SE 535's which sound better to me than the 530's by a fair margin. I think the 530's are a tad more comfy than the 535's, but I may not be used to the 535's yet. (I have had them a week). Tomorrow my TripleFi 10's arrive. Hmmmm. I think I want the Westone 3's as well. Hmmmm.post #7 of 2412/6/10 at 4:38pm
if the guy is 16 years old , there's no point buying customs
(the line 'my mother gave me money' may point to him being quite young)
also , if these are his first real,good IEM's shouldn't he first see the sound signature he prefers ?
otherwise , whatever he buys may end in the FS backyard
and dude , do some reading/studying here yourself
noone but you really knows what iem fits you best.
Edited by proedros - 12/6/10 at 4:39pmpost #8 of 2412/7/10 at 4:34pmThread Starterpost #9 of 2412/7/10 at 5:18pmQuote:
Actually he has a point (albeit a point presented in an abrupt fashion), you shouldn't go for customs until you are older. You would need remolds too often.post #10 of 2412/7/10 at 6:00pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by violinvirtuosoQuote:
Actually he has a point (albeit a point presented in an abrupt fashion), you shouldn't go for customs until you are older. You would need remolds too often.
I'll get some universals again, thanks for letting me know.post #11 of 2412/7/10 at 7:33pm
Sounds like you listen to bass-heavy music. In that case, the ER-4P will be too bright and analytical. I'd recommend the Shure SE535 (it's one of the best universal IEMs available, though it's expensive. The SE425 isn't a bad second choice). It's more comfortable than the UE Triple.fi 10, and most people seem to prefer its sound.
I wish my mom would give me $400 to spend on IEMs...
Edited by calipilot227 - 12/7/10 at 7:36pmpost #12 of 2412/7/10 at 7:45pm
It's not easy to get your first high end universal purchase right the first time. You have a good enough budget to shop around in the FS forum and try different high ends that you think you might like and reselling those you don't like. The TF10s might be good for your genres, but aren't worth the retail price. $190 maximum. You might like W3's also. With $400 to spend you may want to think about upgrading your source or adding an amp to make good IEMs great. Also try to keep in mind whether you like a warm or bright sound.
Edited by sphinxvc - 12/7/10 at 7:46pmpost #13 of 2412/7/10 at 8:01pmpost #14 of 2412/7/10 at 8:02pmpost #15 of 2412/7/10 at 8:20pm
The W3's might be a nice fit. Buy 'em used. They will sell for what you paid, if you don't like them, most likely. I also liked the Shure SE530's, haven't tried the 535's but I'd like to! I really wanted to like the triple-fi 10's, but they are just brutally uncomfortable for me. I don't think I'm the only one. Also, Amazon does a one day sale the last couple of years that make the value pretty screwy. For the music you list, the Ety's don't seem a good fit. I'm listening to some Fischer DBA02's right now. For under $200, they are pretty nice.
Edited by aamefford - 12/8/10 at 9:55amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- I have around $400 to spend, and I want some AWESOME IEMs
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 3 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 42 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › WANTED: iBasson DX50, good condition, preferably with decent... 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › I love minidisc - is that weird? 2 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 3 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 4 minutes ago
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by Rashmosh
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by ahnvx
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by LonghornTech
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Zobel
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2