My mom said I can spend around $400 or so on some good IEMS, custom or universal. I listen to breakcore, electronica, idm, gabber, hardcore, trance, psy-trance, house, electro house, tech house, drum and bass, ambient, chiptunes, j-core, and minimal. I've been recommended the Etymotic ER4P, the Shure SE530, or the UE Triple-Fi. Any recommendations?
- productEarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEMtagged by System, 12/7/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 12/7/10
- productMonster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/7/10
- productMonster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones with ControlTalktagged by System, 12/7/10
- productRadius HP TWF 11rtagged by System, 12/7/10
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/7/10
- productShure SE535-CL Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with Detachable Cable (Clear)tagged by System, 12/7/10
- productWestone 3 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 12/7/10
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 12/7/10
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Proposed IEM audition/trade with other members... Last post on 3/21/11 at 10:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which of the following IEMs do you feel has the best quality cable? Last post on 1/28/11 at 1:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE535's worth upgrading to? Last post on 9/22/12 at 9:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Amature type IEM for hip/hop and rap Last post on 9/25/11 at 11:16am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- AdvertiseLast edited: 12/16/10
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
UnboxingUpon unboxing, I knew what the Sony MDR-1R MK2's were intended for; luxury. It came with a box very similar to the Sennheiser HD800's packaging, very pleasing to open and everything felt of...
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
Summary I've had these for about a week now, and I have to say I like them more each day. At first I was rather worried about purchasing them, because other reviews were saying that the bass...
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
I have around $400 to spend, and I want some AWESOME IEMspost #1 of 2412/6/10 at 3:25pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2412/6/10 at 3:38pmpost #3 of 2412/6/10 at 4:03pm
It seems like you want some strong bass for the types of music you are listening to. Since that is the case, I would not go for the ER-4P. The Triple.Fi is good, but there is better (esp. for $400). If you want a Shure IEM, check out the SE535.
IEMs I would recommend you check out:
Monster Turbine Pro Copper
This thread is a great starting point:
With $400, I would not go for customs. Ear impressions, shipping, and other factors could easily eat up $100+ of your budget. You can always get your universals custom tips or a custom reshell later.post #4 of 2412/6/10 at 4:10pmpost #5 of 2412/6/10 at 4:27pmpost #6 of 2412/6/10 at 4:38pm
I own the Etymotic 4p's, they never get used since I got the Shure SE530's, which I use daily. I now also have Shure SE 535's which sound better to me than the 530's by a fair margin. I think the 530's are a tad more comfy than the 535's, but I may not be used to the 535's yet. (I have had them a week). Tomorrow my TripleFi 10's arrive. Hmmmm. I think I want the Westone 3's as well. Hmmmm.post #7 of 2412/6/10 at 4:38pm
if the guy is 16 years old , there's no point buying customs
(the line 'my mother gave me money' may point to him being quite young)
also , if these are his first real,good IEM's shouldn't he first see the sound signature he prefers ?
otherwise , whatever he buys may end in the FS backyard
and dude , do some reading/studying here yourself
noone but you really knows what iem fits you best.
Edited by proedros - 12/6/10 at 4:39pmpost #8 of 2412/7/10 at 4:34pmThread Starterpost #9 of 2412/7/10 at 5:18pmQuote:
Actually he has a point (albeit a point presented in an abrupt fashion), you shouldn't go for customs until you are older. You would need remolds too often.post #10 of 2412/7/10 at 6:00pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by violinvirtuosoQuote:
Actually he has a point (albeit a point presented in an abrupt fashion), you shouldn't go for customs until you are older. You would need remolds too often.
I'll get some universals again, thanks for letting me know.post #11 of 2412/7/10 at 7:33pm
Sounds like you listen to bass-heavy music. In that case, the ER-4P will be too bright and analytical. I'd recommend the Shure SE535 (it's one of the best universal IEMs available, though it's expensive. The SE425 isn't a bad second choice). It's more comfortable than the UE Triple.fi 10, and most people seem to prefer its sound.
I wish my mom would give me $400 to spend on IEMs...
Edited by calipilot227 - 12/7/10 at 7:36pmpost #12 of 2412/7/10 at 7:45pm
It's not easy to get your first high end universal purchase right the first time. You have a good enough budget to shop around in the FS forum and try different high ends that you think you might like and reselling those you don't like. The TF10s might be good for your genres, but aren't worth the retail price. $190 maximum. You might like W3's also. With $400 to spend you may want to think about upgrading your source or adding an amp to make good IEMs great. Also try to keep in mind whether you like a warm or bright sound.
Edited by sphinxvc - 12/7/10 at 7:46pmpost #13 of 2412/7/10 at 8:01pmpost #14 of 2412/7/10 at 8:02pmpost #15 of 2412/7/10 at 8:20pm
The W3's might be a nice fit. Buy 'em used. They will sell for what you paid, if you don't like them, most likely. I also liked the Shure SE530's, haven't tried the 535's but I'd like to! I really wanted to like the triple-fi 10's, but they are just brutally uncomfortable for me. I don't think I'm the only one. Also, Amazon does a one day sale the last couple of years that make the value pretty screwy. For the music you list, the Ety's don't seem a good fit. I'm listening to some Fischer DBA02's right now. For under $200, they are pretty nice.
Edited by aamefford - 12/8/10 at 9:55amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- I have around $400 to spend, and I want some AWESOME IEMs
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Unique Melody 3X Universal Triple Hybrid - AUSTRALIAN TOUR and... 52 seconds ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 57 seconds ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 1 minute ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 1 minute ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp 3 minutes ago
- › Brand New - Sealed | AKG Q701 Quincy Jones in Lime Green - Made in... 3 minutes ago
- › What book are you reading right now? 3 minutes ago
- › Beresford Bushmaster TC-7530 and Bushmaster MKII TC-7533 Comparison... 3 minutes ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by gelocks
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude