My mom said I can spend around $400 or so on some good IEMS, custom or universal. I listen to breakcore, electronica, idm, gabber, hardcore, trance, psy-trance, house, electro house, tech house, drum and bass, ambient, chiptunes, j-core, and minimal. I've been recommended the Etymotic ER4P, the Shure SE530, or the UE Triple-Fi. Any recommendations?
- productEarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEMtagged by System, 12/7/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 12/7/10
- productMonster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/7/10
- productMonster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones with ControlTalktagged by System, 12/7/10
- productRadius HP TWF 11rtagged by System, 12/7/10
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 12/7/10
- productShure SE535-CL Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with Detachable Cable (Clear)tagged by System, 12/7/10
- productWestone 3 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 12/7/10
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 12/7/10
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Proposed IEM audition/trade with other members... Last post on 3/21/11 at 10:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which of the following IEMs do you feel has the best quality cable? Last post on 1/28/11 at 1:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE535's worth upgrading to? Last post on 9/22/12 at 9:50am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best Amature type IEM for hip/hop and rap Last post on 9/25/11 at 11:16am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 12/16/10
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I spent a week with the OPPO PM-3 through the head-fi loaner program, and got the chance to try them out on a variety of pieces. 99% of my headphone listening is classical music of one type or...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Following the successful launch of the initial Trinity range on Kickstarter, Bob (Trinity's CEO and...
REVIEW: ifi Pro iCan Equipment used: Headphones: Sennheiser HD800S, Hifiman Edition X, Hifiman HE-560, AKG K7XX, Audeze LCD-2f, Sennheiser Momentum, HD-650, Oppo PM-2, PM-3, Aurisonics ASG...
Thank-you to Pandora of Brainwavz for supplying the Omega for review. Brainwavz has been around for a while now and this isn't my first encounter with one of their products. In 2011 I...
I picked this up second hand on ebay, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm just getting into listening with headphones and one of my amps doesn't have a headphone socket, so this seemed like as...
I have around $400 to spend, and I want some AWESOME IEMspost #1 of 2412/6/10 at 3:25pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2412/6/10 at 3:38pmpost #3 of 2412/6/10 at 4:03pm
It seems like you want some strong bass for the types of music you are listening to. Since that is the case, I would not go for the ER-4P. The Triple.Fi is good, but there is better (esp. for $400). If you want a Shure IEM, check out the SE535.
IEMs I would recommend you check out:
Monster Turbine Pro Copper
This thread is a great starting point:
With $400, I would not go for customs. Ear impressions, shipping, and other factors could easily eat up $100+ of your budget. You can always get your universals custom tips or a custom reshell later.post #4 of 2412/6/10 at 4:10pmpost #5 of 2412/6/10 at 4:27pmpost #6 of 2412/6/10 at 4:38pm
I own the Etymotic 4p's, they never get used since I got the Shure SE530's, which I use daily. I now also have Shure SE 535's which sound better to me than the 530's by a fair margin. I think the 530's are a tad more comfy than the 535's, but I may not be used to the 535's yet. (I have had them a week). Tomorrow my TripleFi 10's arrive. Hmmmm. I think I want the Westone 3's as well. Hmmmm.post #7 of 2412/6/10 at 4:38pm
if the guy is 16 years old , there's no point buying customs
(the line 'my mother gave me money' may point to him being quite young)
also , if these are his first real,good IEM's shouldn't he first see the sound signature he prefers ?
otherwise , whatever he buys may end in the FS backyard
and dude , do some reading/studying here yourself
noone but you really knows what iem fits you best.
Edited by proedros - 12/6/10 at 4:39pmpost #8 of 2412/7/10 at 4:34pmThread Starterpost #9 of 2412/7/10 at 5:18pmQuote:
Actually he has a point (albeit a point presented in an abrupt fashion), you shouldn't go for customs until you are older. You would need remolds too often.post #10 of 2412/7/10 at 6:00pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by violinvirtuosoQuote:
Actually he has a point (albeit a point presented in an abrupt fashion), you shouldn't go for customs until you are older. You would need remolds too often.
I'll get some universals again, thanks for letting me know.post #11 of 2412/7/10 at 7:33pm
Sounds like you listen to bass-heavy music. In that case, the ER-4P will be too bright and analytical. I'd recommend the Shure SE535 (it's one of the best universal IEMs available, though it's expensive. The SE425 isn't a bad second choice). It's more comfortable than the UE Triple.fi 10, and most people seem to prefer its sound.
I wish my mom would give me $400 to spend on IEMs...
Edited by calipilot227 - 12/7/10 at 7:36pmpost #12 of 2412/7/10 at 7:45pm
It's not easy to get your first high end universal purchase right the first time. You have a good enough budget to shop around in the FS forum and try different high ends that you think you might like and reselling those you don't like. The TF10s might be good for your genres, but aren't worth the retail price. $190 maximum. You might like W3's also. With $400 to spend you may want to think about upgrading your source or adding an amp to make good IEMs great. Also try to keep in mind whether you like a warm or bright sound.
Edited by sphinxvc - 12/7/10 at 7:46pmpost #13 of 2412/7/10 at 8:01pmpost #14 of 2412/7/10 at 8:02pmpost #15 of 2412/7/10 at 8:20pm
The W3's might be a nice fit. Buy 'em used. They will sell for what you paid, if you don't like them, most likely. I also liked the Shure SE530's, haven't tried the 535's but I'd like to! I really wanted to like the triple-fi 10's, but they are just brutally uncomfortable for me. I don't think I'm the only one. Also, Amazon does a one day sale the last couple of years that make the value pretty screwy. For the music you list, the Ety's don't seem a good fit. I'm listening to some Fischer DBA02's right now. For under $200, they are pretty nice.
Edited by aamefford - 12/8/10 at 9:55amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- I have around $400 to spend, and I want some AWESOME IEMs
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 2 minutes ago
- › Workout upgrade from my Meelectronics M6 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3U and HPA-3B, review to follow! 2 minutes ago
- › MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device 2 minutes ago
- › Alpha & Delta D2 Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser - HD800S 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 3 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-3 by gardibolt
- › Trinity Audio Engineering Atlas water resistant sports in-ear monitor by Brooko
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Koolpep
- › Brainwavz Omega In Ear Earbuds Noise Isolating Earphones Remote... by Deviltooth
- › Bravo Audio Ocean by Varley58
- › Darkvoice 336SE by Shasari
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...