Winter is here, so I started thinking about getting a pair of portable headphones that will keep my ears warm.
Two contestants: one rugged, time tested and industry standard HD25-1 II; the other, the flaming red colors of the African Paudak wood presents the premium and classy ESW9. (and anything else you guys can think of)
Sound preference, I definitely have used my UE 700s the most for their small/lightness, ease of handle and comfort, and pristine sound; And I prefer my TF10s and UE700s over my IE7s. Although my IE7s have outlasted the UE700s at least 3 lifetimes over...I enjoy my A8s and EC700s occasionally for when my ears get sore from using IEMs too often. So I guess I'm not huge on boom-boom-pow bass but like a good presence of it. I do enjoy a good soundstage and good detail/separation.
Source: iPhone 4. mp3s ripped. mostly 320kps-ish. Computer. And at home I do have a pretty good receiver, Onkyo TX-SR608 that I sometimes use when watching TV or listening to music.
So, here is what I'm looking for:
1. Comfort: I returned my first pair of ESW9s because of discomfort. Now I feel like I should have given it more time to loosen up (that's what he said). But I hear the HD25-1 IIs are very comfortable, with the dual headband and such. And comfort is important to the enjoyment of music. Bottomline, I've heard good and bad things regarding the comfort of both phones. So your thoughts?
2. Sound: Whatever analogy that applies with my IEM preferences.
3. Durability: (on the one hand, the HD25-1 II's build quality is CRAP, but they can take a beating. And I very much like the refined looks of the ESW9s, but will the lambskin earpads and African Paudak wooden cups withstand the snowy winters of Ohio?)
4. Keep ears warm (so I'm looking for the supra-boobla-joo kind that goes around your ears instead of resting on top of them)\
5. Sound isolation, I don't really care a lot about it, as long as it does not leak out.
Thoughts? These cost within $20 of each other. And I feel like their value is pretty stable now. Ideally I'd get them both, but, my father's not rich. Of course I'll consider other headphones as well. It's just I feel these will retain their values well over time, and are worthy to have. (And what about Creative Aurvana Live!)
Any comment/suggestions is welcome! Thanks guys.