FWIR, it sounds like the HD650s would fill the bill. I really like the DT990s, but their treble can be a bit hot and sibilant at times. I guess I'm not necessarily looking for something more laid back, but rather with a smoother, slightly less offensive top end. I'm slightly concerned about a lack of clarity (read: muddiness) with the 650s, or for any other pair which might be in the same category of warm and laid back. Is a uDAC-->E9 a sufficient setup for them? I know that volume/power is not really an issue, since the setup drives the 600-Ohm DT990s fine. I'd really like to avoid going further with amps/interconnects/etc. The price of the 650s on eBay ($330ish) is absolutely my limit for cost, and I've tried/bought and sold A LOT of different headphones under that limit (I was thinking about it yesterday, and counted about 25), so feel free to ask if I've tried a certain pair:). Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison of 5 popular cans in the $250-350 range - K701, HD650, DT990/600ohm, SR325is, D2000 -... Last post on 6/20/13 at 6:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Please Help me choose a headphone from this website.... AH-D7000, HD650, DT880, DT990, T70 Last post on 10/20/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyer DT990 - 600 ohm version; my last pair of cans for a while? Last post on 10/10/11 at 5:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650 but more detailed? Last post on 10/1/11 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beginner headphone advice Last post on 7/29/11 at 11:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Since the Gamma y2 is a DIY project I'm not going to comment on the build quality as its dependent on the builder. The Sound The sound of the y2 varies on how it was built. Mine is using...
I just thought I'd write up a review on these headphones. They did a bit getting used to, because the reproduction of sound is so clear and even. Like getting used to a pair of studio monitors...
Its cheap, I got my blue ones for 6 dollars, it sounds good consider, and it is very light weight. I do not know why some people insist this pair is better than 50-100 dollar headphones, it's...
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
Do not buy an Astell & Kern 120. It claims 192Gb memory, but it indexes and uses only the internal memory - 64gb. The external SD cards carry files but do not show up on the device. Money spent...
Looking for a warm, slightly laid back complement to my DT990-600s. HD650s?post #1 of 1012/5/10 at 3:59pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1012/5/10 at 4:24pm
Haven't heard the HD650 so I won't be a great help. But I find that my HD600 are the antidote to the excesses of my other main headphones, D7000 & RS-1. They have deep, rich bass that is not fatiguing and never sneaks up on me like like a falling hammer, like D7000 sometimes do with electronica. Similarly, they have very smooth and detailed highs that I can listen to without end and do not need to be tamed with tubes, unlike my RS-1. Their mids are are also well-balanced and sweet, and are my favorite of among my headphones. One note though- their near-perfect tonal balance does depend some on the amp. Out my tube amp, their highs can sound a little soft so I tend to listen to them straight out the SS amp built into my dac, which sounds a little brighter, clearer and more spatially defined. If I hadn't heard them out that amp I would have described them as a bit too fuzzy and warm.post #3 of 1012/5/10 at 4:29pmThread Starter
And indeed, I have tried the 600s:). Perhaps they're pretty close to "neutral," but I found them to be a bit lacking in warmth and bass impact, which is why I switched to the DT990s. I'm thinking that it might have been better if I'd gone straight for the 650s, since they can be found for only like, $40 more online.post #4 of 1012/5/10 at 4:48pmpost #5 of 1012/5/10 at 4:54pmpost #6 of 1012/5/10 at 5:27pmThread Starterpost #7 of 1012/5/10 at 5:28pmpost #8 of 1012/5/10 at 5:31pm
hmm, the dt880 600 ohms will give you smoother treble, but you will really miss the low end if you compare the bass output to the hd650 and dt990. if you want the same clean signature with a better balanced sound, a bit of treble tilt compared to the hd650, smoother highs, with sacrifice in bass, you should audition the dt880 600 ohms. the midrange is a bit recessed with the dt880, pretty similar to the dt990 :Dpost #9 of 1012/5/10 at 8:41pmThread Starterpost #10 of 1012/6/10 at 9:44am
that complicates things :)
hd650 would be the safe bet. they do not sound muddy to my ears, only that the beyer sounds cleaner compared to the senn. but they have soft and less aggressive treble, with great bass response. maybe you need a good tube amp capable of driving them both well in the future. i am also on the lookout for such amp...
- Looking for a warm, slightly laid back complement to my DT990-600s. HD650s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 38 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 50 seconds ago
- › The AKG K550 Appreciation/Discussion Thread! 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Adam A7x Audiophile Review by Digital Newbie 2 minutes ago
- › The ultimate phone cum audio player ? 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 LA/SoCal Regional Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014,... 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica's New Multidriver IEMs: The ATH-IM Series 2 minutes ago
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 2 minutes ago
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe