FWIR, it sounds like the HD650s would fill the bill. I really like the DT990s, but their treble can be a bit hot and sibilant at times. I guess I'm not necessarily looking for something more laid back, but rather with a smoother, slightly less offensive top end. I'm slightly concerned about a lack of clarity (read: muddiness) with the 650s, or for any other pair which might be in the same category of warm and laid back. Is a uDAC-->E9 a sufficient setup for them? I know that volume/power is not really an issue, since the setup drives the 600-Ohm DT990s fine. I'd really like to avoid going further with amps/interconnects/etc. The price of the 650s on eBay ($330ish) is absolutely my limit for cost, and I've tried/bought and sold A LOT of different headphones under that limit (I was thinking about it yesterday, and counted about 25), so feel free to ask if I've tried a certain pair:). Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison of 5 popular cans in the $250-350 range - K701, HD650, DT990/600ohm, SR325is, D2000 -... Last post on 6/20/13 at 6:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Please Help me choose a headphone from this website.... AH-D7000, HD650, DT880, DT990, T70 Last post on 10/20/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyer DT990 - 600 ohm version; my last pair of cans for a while? Last post on 10/10/11 at 5:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650 but more detailed? Last post on 10/1/11 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beginner headphone advice Last post on 7/29/11 at 11:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
Looking for a warm, slightly laid back complement to my DT990-600s. HD650s?post #1 of 1012/5/10 at 3:59pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1012/5/10 at 4:24pm
Haven't heard the HD650 so I won't be a great help. But I find that my HD600 are the antidote to the excesses of my other main headphones, D7000 & RS-1. They have deep, rich bass that is not fatiguing and never sneaks up on me like like a falling hammer, like D7000 sometimes do with electronica. Similarly, they have very smooth and detailed highs that I can listen to without end and do not need to be tamed with tubes, unlike my RS-1. Their mids are are also well-balanced and sweet, and are my favorite of among my headphones. One note though- their near-perfect tonal balance does depend some on the amp. Out my tube amp, their highs can sound a little soft so I tend to listen to them straight out the SS amp built into my dac, which sounds a little brighter, clearer and more spatially defined. If I hadn't heard them out that amp I would have described them as a bit too fuzzy and warm.post #3 of 1012/5/10 at 4:29pmThread Starter
And indeed, I have tried the 600s:). Perhaps they're pretty close to "neutral," but I found them to be a bit lacking in warmth and bass impact, which is why I switched to the DT990s. I'm thinking that it might have been better if I'd gone straight for the 650s, since they can be found for only like, $40 more online.post #4 of 1012/5/10 at 4:48pmpost #5 of 1012/5/10 at 4:54pmpost #6 of 1012/5/10 at 5:27pmThread Starterpost #7 of 1012/5/10 at 5:28pmpost #8 of 1012/5/10 at 5:31pm
hmm, the dt880 600 ohms will give you smoother treble, but you will really miss the low end if you compare the bass output to the hd650 and dt990. if you want the same clean signature with a better balanced sound, a bit of treble tilt compared to the hd650, smoother highs, with sacrifice in bass, you should audition the dt880 600 ohms. the midrange is a bit recessed with the dt880, pretty similar to the dt990 :Dpost #9 of 1012/5/10 at 8:41pmThread Starterpost #10 of 1012/6/10 at 9:44am
that complicates things :)
hd650 would be the safe bet. they do not sound muddy to my ears, only that the beyer sounds cleaner compared to the senn. but they have soft and less aggressive treble, with great bass response. maybe you need a good tube amp capable of driving them both well in the future. i am also on the lookout for such amp...
- Looking for a warm, slightly laid back complement to my DT990-600s. HD650s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Music Game IX 4 seconds ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 311 IEMs compared (HiSoundAudio BA100 added... 55 seconds ago
- › PONO - are you really serious??? 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Shure SRH 940 appreciation and support thread 1 minute ago
- › Looking for earbud alternatives, any ideas? Sony NWZ-W273s 1 minute ago
- › [Review] Superlux HD681 EVO 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 2 minutes ago
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude