FWIR, it sounds like the HD650s would fill the bill. I really like the DT990s, but their treble can be a bit hot and sibilant at times. I guess I'm not necessarily looking for something more laid back, but rather with a smoother, slightly less offensive top end. I'm slightly concerned about a lack of clarity (read: muddiness) with the 650s, or for any other pair which might be in the same category of warm and laid back. Is a uDAC-->E9 a sufficient setup for them? I know that volume/power is not really an issue, since the setup drives the 600-Ohm DT990s fine. I'd really like to avoid going further with amps/interconnects/etc. The price of the 650s on eBay ($330ish) is absolutely my limit for cost, and I've tried/bought and sold A LOT of different headphones under that limit (I was thinking about it yesterday, and counted about 25), so feel free to ask if I've tried a certain pair:). Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison of 5 popular cans in the $250-350 range - K701, HD650, DT990/600ohm, SR325is, D2000 -... Last post on 6/20/13 at 6:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Please Help me choose a headphone from this website.... AH-D7000, HD650, DT880, DT990, T70 Last post on 5/22/16 at 6:38am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Beyer DT990 - 600 ohm version; my last pair of cans for a while? Last post on 10/10/11 at 5:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD 650 but more detailed? Last post on 10/1/11 at 8:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beginner headphone advice Last post on 7/29/11 at 11:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
*This is a slightly revised and updated version of my original review from September of 2014. The Bass Colour was a good earphone two years ago and at it's current price of 29.99 USD on Penon Audio...
I bought these over a year ago as an upgrade to the generation 3 of the Piston earphones. I've been a user since generation 2 and I've loved the line up ever since. This simply feels like another...
I took the scenic route to loving these headphones and almost sold it a couple of times. I picked these up for free thanks to a promotion my carrier Freedom mobile was doing where if you buy the LG...
About Me: I came into the world of audio from a guitar background, buying up tube amps from when I was a kid and was always fascinated with them. Then I ended up buying my first decent pair...
Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me by Brannan of Noble Audio to provide the guy’s participating in the massdrop, or those on the fence, with a better idea of what to expect. This is cutting...
Looking for a warm, slightly laid back complement to my DT990-600s. HD650s?post #1 of 1012/5/10 at 3:59pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1012/5/10 at 4:24pm
Haven't heard the HD650 so I won't be a great help. But I find that my HD600 are the antidote to the excesses of my other main headphones, D7000 & RS-1. They have deep, rich bass that is not fatiguing and never sneaks up on me like like a falling hammer, like D7000 sometimes do with electronica. Similarly, they have very smooth and detailed highs that I can listen to without end and do not need to be tamed with tubes, unlike my RS-1. Their mids are are also well-balanced and sweet, and are my favorite of among my headphones. One note though- their near-perfect tonal balance does depend some on the amp. Out my tube amp, their highs can sound a little soft so I tend to listen to them straight out the SS amp built into my dac, which sounds a little brighter, clearer and more spatially defined. If I hadn't heard them out that amp I would have described them as a bit too fuzzy and warm.post #3 of 1012/5/10 at 4:29pmThread Starter
And indeed, I have tried the 600s:). Perhaps they're pretty close to "neutral," but I found them to be a bit lacking in warmth and bass impact, which is why I switched to the DT990s. I'm thinking that it might have been better if I'd gone straight for the 650s, since they can be found for only like, $40 more online.post #4 of 1012/5/10 at 4:48pmpost #5 of 1012/5/10 at 4:54pmpost #6 of 1012/5/10 at 5:27pmThread Starterpost #7 of 1012/5/10 at 5:28pmpost #8 of 1012/5/10 at 5:31pm
hmm, the dt880 600 ohms will give you smoother treble, but you will really miss the low end if you compare the bass output to the hd650 and dt990. if you want the same clean signature with a better balanced sound, a bit of treble tilt compared to the hd650, smoother highs, with sacrifice in bass, you should audition the dt880 600 ohms. the midrange is a bit recessed with the dt880, pretty similar to the dt990 :Dpost #9 of 1012/5/10 at 8:41pmThread Starterpost #10 of 1012/6/10 at 9:44am
that complicates things :)
hd650 would be the safe bet. they do not sound muddy to my ears, only that the beyer sounds cleaner compared to the senn. but they have soft and less aggressive treble, with great bass response. maybe you need a good tube amp capable of driving them both well in the future. i am also on the lookout for such amp...
- Looking for a warm, slightly laid back complement to my DT990-600s. HD650s?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Fiio X3ii 2nd Gen 58 seconds ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 58 seconds ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 1 minute ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 1 minute ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 1 minute ago
- › Ground isolation and clean power for my iDSD Nano 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › FitEar TO GO! & Universal Series --- Suyama's custom IEM, made... 3 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 3 minutes ago
- › Don Scorpio Bass Colour by B9Scrambler
- › Xiaomi Mi Hybrid Earphone In-Ear Headphones Multi-unit Circle Iron... by junhawng
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H3 by 8hours
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by SeeSax
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by WCDchee
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by Trevayne10
- › NiNTAUS X10 HiFi Lossless Music Player by crabdog
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear