Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD-555
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD-555

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a pair of Senny Hd-555s off of Ebay. Yes it is a huge risk, but the description, feedback, and the fact that it offers a two year manufacturer warranty kinda makes it look good. The one thing I'm worried about is that it's counterfeit since he didn't state if he was a authorized retailer or not. I read on the Sennheiser official website that there are some Counterfeit sellers, theres a whole list of unauthorized sellers, and I didn't see my seller's name. So that relieved me a little. But anyways, can anyone help me if these headphones are legit or not? Or if anyone has any experience from this seller, please tell me if the headphones are good or not. 

Here is the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290502079528#ht_1184wt_1139

Please help! I really want to get these headphones!

the seller is dpexpress for those people who don't want to click on the link.

 

Oh and also, if I do the 555 to 595 mod, will it void the warranty?

Thanks for reading! and help!

post #2 of 7

there is also a list of official sennheiser dealers, i'd check to see if he is on that list. i bought a pair of HD650 off of razordogdeals2008 from ebay and it all went well, but i checked and he is an authorized dealer.

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

there is also a list of official sennheiser dealers, i'd check to see if he is on that list. i bought a pair of HD650 off of razordogdeals2008 from ebay and it all went well, but i checked and he is an authorized dealer.



Yea I forgot to mention about that list, I didn't find my seller's name on there. I was going to get the 650s also from razordog, but last minute money problems came up so I had to get cheaper headphones. When I found out that razordog doesn't sell 555s, that kinda ruined my mood because I hear good stuff about him. :/

post #4 of 7

yea, he is a great seller and offers great prices as well. HD650 for $328 was a nice deal. i checked and he definitely doesn't have the 555, at least not right now. maybe he can get them though, maybe send him a message and ask.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headphonez View Post





Yea I forgot to mention about that list, I didn't find my seller's name on there. I was going to get the 650s also from razordog, but last minute money problems came up so I had to get cheaper headphones. When I found out that razordog doesn't sell 555s, that kinda ruined my mood because I hear good stuff about him. :/

post #5 of 7

It shouldn't ruin the warranty as you are only removing the foams which can be put back..At that price..I would suggest buying off amazon which is a sure thing plus they're $91 with free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-Professional-Headphones-Channeling/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291522176&sr=8-1


Edited by xXFallenAngelXx - 12/4/10 at 8:11pm
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

yea, he is a great seller and offers great prices as well. HD650 for $328 was a nice deal. i checked and he definitely doesn't have the 555, at least not right now. maybe he can get them though, maybe send him a message and ask.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headphonez View Post





Yea I forgot to mention about that list, I didn't find my seller's name on there. I was going to get the 650s also from razordog, but last minute money problems came up so I had to get cheaper headphones. When I found out that razordog doesn't sell 555s, that kinda ruined my mood because I hear good stuff about him. :/


I probably will later, but I'm still wondering if the 555s from dpexpress is legit or not. I hope it is.

post #7 of 7

Here's my verdict on the Sennheiser HD-555's - not suitable for iPod's.

 

Yesterday I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD-555's as I was advised these are fine for the iPod touch, but oh how wrong that information was.  Firstly, I had to almost max out my iPod volume control, just hear decent audio (equaliser always disabled), yet with my previous Sony MDR-V700DJ's no such issue existed at all on my iPod touch - full power plenty of bass / clarity and complete isolation.  Why would this be so?  Secondly, hardly any bass, very little isolation (could hear cars and buses while music was playing) an these are not "closed".  I paid AU$175 for the HD-555's, which I consider a bargain.  These were returned today for a refund.

 

In the mean time I switched back to my Sennheiser IE7's (IEM's) which sound 10x better than the HD-555's and have a lot more grunt behind them on the same volume level as original.  The size of the IE7's automatically makes you assume their audio prowess and quality is only average, but hell they really rock literally.  In the end I could not track down any Sony MDR-V700DJ's, and I could not find any Sennheiser HD series headphones that would work with the iPod, without the need for an amplifier - hell if the 555's were not suitable, common sense dictates higher / more expensive models wont either and will still require an amp.  So, what is literally equivalent to the Sony MDR-V700DJ's in the Sennheiser lineup, as the Sony ones I can buy for AU $299?

 

So far the Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones have proven to be the best so far, works with iPod fine, up to 3000mw handling capacity, close designed, awesome sound including bass, amazing isolation (cant hear anything when using them) metal outside casing and they cover your ears completely - so far I cant find any Sennheisers that match the Sony in quality or price plus features.  Maybe this is why the Sony's are such big sellers for DJ's etc - they have left an imprint on me thats for sure.  Overall, is disappointing that taking the plunge for the HD-555's has left a very bad taste in my mouth with Sennheiser when the IE7's are so damn good.

 

I listen to Eminem, Black Eyes Peas, Game Soundtracks, Movie Soundtracks, Rock, Pop, Electronic, etc.  I even tried to get a pair of AKG K142 HD's as shown here: http://www.videopro.com.au/p-2518-akg-k142hd-headphones.aspx, (AU $269.50) but they have sold out.  Now I may be shot for this decision, but considering my options of Sony / AKG / Sennheiser have diminished to such a level, I picked up a pair of DJ Beat Studios (white - knocked down to AU $399), as here in Australia the market is a lot smaller and prices are higher (10% GST).

 

I have ready many reviews, but honestly you cant trust all reviews as everyone has different tastes and different hearing, so it appears testing the headphones physically is the only option.  So, did I make a good decision based on the factors above - should I have waited for the Sony / AKG to become available instead?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD-555