- 1,789 Posts. Joined 11/2010
- Location: Madison, WI
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Official Grado-Beyerdynamic Fan Club (for those who love BOTH! :) Last post on 11/14/12 at 5:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado RS-1 worth? Last post on 1/9/12 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Am I missing something? Last post on 10/19/11 at 9:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR225 > RS1 -- anybody prefer the SR225? Last post on 12/15/11 at 12:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me decide - Grado GS-1000 or Grado PS-500 Last post on 10/16/11 at 3:20am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
I've owned this for about 6 months when I bought it direct from China. As a 68 year old it took me back to a time when I used to go to live concerts. But there were hidden costs involved. Firstly...
I`ve had the ATH-A900 LTD in 10 years and they still play very well indeed! I checked out the sound quality this week against the best they had in our local hi-fi store and the ones I heard wasn`t...
BRIEF SUMMARY The HD800 has always been my goal ever since I started on my audio journey 5 years ago, but I was into portable audio back then and the price of the HD800 were fairly expensive so...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
Music suddenly appreciated with better gear?post #1 of 1212/4/10 at 1:00amThread StarterAre there any styles of music that you weren't into before getting better phones/DAC/amps that you can now appreciate?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1212/4/10 at 1:06ampost #3 of 1212/4/10 at 1:13amMy FM tuner got me into jazz. I never was a fan, but I never disliked the genre. However, the local jazz station sounded so good on the receiver, I kept listening. I'm glad I did.
I've also picked up on several artisrs/groups because their SACD/DVD-A offerings were so good.post #4 of 1212/4/10 at 4:23ampost #5 of 1212/4/10 at 4:34ampost #6 of 1212/4/10 at 4:48ampost #7 of 1212/4/10 at 8:24am
As soon as I got my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5, techno and dubstep became part of my portable music collection. Those headphones really showed off the musicality and not just the constantly thumping basspost #8 of 1212/4/10 at 8:25ampost #9 of 1212/4/10 at 8:32amI never liked jazz, country or blue grass until I got into headphones and started listening to artists like Norah Jones, Tift Merritt, and Alison Krauss for their vocals and well recorded albums.post #10 of 1212/4/10 at 8:43amQuote:
Very true for me as well!
I started paying more attention to recommendations for 'well-recorded' or 'reference' material after I got more involved in building/buying gear a couple of years ago. I found some new artists that I enjoy a lot.
Sadly, (for my wallet) some of my purchases very high-quality recordings of quite mediocre musicians.... so we have to keep in mind that it's the music that counts, not the 'hi-fi'.
Lately I've been asking myself this question when I think about buying new gear (which I don't need, really) "Would this new piece of gear bring more enjoyment than 5/10/20/50 new CDs?".
Johnpost #11 of 1212/4/10 at 10:59ampost #12 of 1212/4/10 at 11:26amBig Band music is something I now enjoy, provided that I am able to find a good quality reproduction. Most of the music recorded in this genre is fairly old, and only the most popular stuff can be easily found in qualities that good equipment won't destroy from being too revealing. Big Band has roots in Jazz, but it's probably far from the style that most would consider to be Jazz when discussing this genre today.
The album, "In the the Digital Mood" from Glenn Miller, is exceptional. This is coming from a listener that snaps his fingers along with Limp Bizkit's "Nookie" or cranks the volume up for a Chemical Brother's track.
- Music suddenly appreciated with better gear?
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 second ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 19 seconds ago
- › Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS 23 seconds ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 41 seconds ago
- › Upgrade over HD555 – something else/need change 1 minute ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 1 minute ago
- › Need reccomendation on wireless headphones 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › ampsandsound Mogwai Single-Ended Amplifier by dmhenley
- › Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone by moedawg140
- › RHA MA750 by bobghosh
- › Questyle CMA600i "Current Mode Amplification" Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...