- 1,213 Posts. Joined 11/2010
- Location: Savannah, GA
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Official Grado-Beyerdynamic Fan Club (for those who love BOTH! :) Last post on 11/14/12 at 5:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado RS-1 worth? Last post on 1/9/12 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Am I missing something? Last post on 10/19/11 at 9:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR225 > RS1 -- anybody prefer the SR225? Last post on 12/15/11 at 12:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me decide - Grado GS-1000 or Grado PS-500 Last post on 10/16/11 at 3:20am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
Music suddenly appreciated with better gear?post #1 of 1212/4/10 at 1:00amThread StarterAre there any styles of music that you weren't into before getting better phones/DAC/amps that you can now appreciate?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1212/4/10 at 1:06ampost #3 of 1212/4/10 at 1:13amMy FM tuner got me into jazz. I never was a fan, but I never disliked the genre. However, the local jazz station sounded so good on the receiver, I kept listening. I'm glad I did.
I've also picked up on several artisrs/groups because their SACD/DVD-A offerings were so good.post #4 of 1212/4/10 at 4:23ampost #5 of 1212/4/10 at 4:34ampost #6 of 1212/4/10 at 4:48ampost #7 of 1212/4/10 at 8:24am
As soon as I got my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5, techno and dubstep became part of my portable music collection. Those headphones really showed off the musicality and not just the constantly thumping basspost #8 of 1212/4/10 at 8:25ampost #9 of 1212/4/10 at 8:32amI never liked jazz, country or blue grass until I got into headphones and started listening to artists like Norah Jones, Tift Merritt, and Alison Krauss for their vocals and well recorded albums.post #10 of 1212/4/10 at 8:43amQuote:
Very true for me as well!
I started paying more attention to recommendations for 'well-recorded' or 'reference' material after I got more involved in building/buying gear a couple of years ago. I found some new artists that I enjoy a lot.
Sadly, (for my wallet) some of my purchases very high-quality recordings of quite mediocre musicians.... so we have to keep in mind that it's the music that counts, not the 'hi-fi'.
Lately I've been asking myself this question when I think about buying new gear (which I don't need, really) "Would this new piece of gear bring more enjoyment than 5/10/20/50 new CDs?".
Johnpost #11 of 1212/4/10 at 10:59ampost #12 of 1212/4/10 at 11:26amBig Band music is something I now enjoy, provided that I am able to find a good quality reproduction. Most of the music recorded in this genre is fairly old, and only the most popular stuff can be easily found in qualities that good equipment won't destroy from being too revealing. Big Band has roots in Jazz, but it's probably far from the style that most would consider to be Jazz when discussing this genre today.
The album, "In the the Digital Mood" from Glenn Miller, is exceptional. This is coming from a listener that snaps his fingers along with Limp Bizkit's "Nookie" or cranks the volume up for a Chemical Brother's track.
- Music suddenly appreciated with better gear?
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II) 21 seconds ago
- › DUNU DN-2000 Review 22 seconds ago
- › Is a lossy-lossy conversion process really that degrading in terms... 1 minute ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 1 minute ago
- › Notes: FiiO E10K & E11K (based on pre-production/beta engineering... 2 minutes ago
- › FS: Aurisonics ASG-2 [AUS] 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 vs Audio Technica ATH-A900X 5 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 8 minutes ago
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)