Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › KRK KNS-8400 Review (Impressive $150 headphone)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KRK KNS-8400 Review (Impressive $150 headphone) - Page 4

post #46 of 204

Well, I'll try my luck on the used D2000, if they don't become too expensive... wink.gif

 

If I can't get those, and since I can't afford them new, I think my options are between the ATH-M50 and the DJ 100. The price difference where I can buy them is around 30$ (the M50 is more expensive). It's a real problem for me that I can't test any of these cans before I buy them... frown.gif

post #47 of 204

 

Yes, same things with their headphones, you need to give them a good few hours...

 

 

Studio monitors are there to monitor and control recordings. They are optimized to sound flat and transparent. 
The KRK 8400 are the only studio monitors headphones I've owned which manage to sound warm and musical while at the same time being acurate and detailed just like your studio monitor should. These are extremely precise for stereo/pan sound mixing and really have their own sound dimension.  
 
Being a basshead myself, I think people writing about the lack of bass on the KRK 8400's -even on monitor headphones's terms- haven't spent long enough on these. You need to accommodate your perception, they are for monitoring.
The bass -and below- is present, clearly perceptible at its exact definition, not in a muddy boomy sort of way. 
Sony's digital and 7506 or crowd pleaser like SHR 840/ATH-50 are more punchy and boomier at first of course, but less precise and less subtile (colder).
These cans are quiet too and leather/foam pad is excellent.
The volume control on the cable is really so handy when you want to control directly your mix at lower level whitout touching anything at your set up.
Headhones tastes are subjective I know, but with these you get incredibly astonishing accuracy in your mixes and this is a far less subjective thing indeed.

 

post #48 of 204

How do these translate with KRK Rokit Powered 8's anyone? 

I dont care what kind of headphones I get, I just want some that sound very similar to my RP8's.

post #49 of 204

Thank you for the review. I need light weight phones and really interested in these, but concerned that the bass-shy, upward tilted frequency response may sound etched or bright to me. I wonder also for not much more money one can get the K601

 

Meanwhile a review is up on Playback, apparantly they have the same impression as yours regarding the frequency response.

 

http://www.avguide.com/blog/first-listen-krk-systems-kns-8400-professional-headphones?utm_campaign=Weekly+Email&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-111

 

 

post #50 of 204
can you compare the Krk kns8400 with the Superlux HD668b? If I'm looking for a neutral sounding headphones, one that tells the music as it is, which one would be a better choice?
I would also like comparisons in soundstage, instrument seperation, etc. Thanks!
post #51 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Fart View Post

can you compare the Krk kns8400 with the Superlux HD668b? If I'm looking for a neutral sounding headphones, one that tells the music as it is, which one would be a better choice?
I would also like comparisons in soundstage, instrument seperation, etc. Thanks!


8400 would be a better match. The HD-668B IMO isn't really all that balanced, but close. It seems to really focus on the bass and treble and recess the mids slightly. Soundstage of the 668B is a lot larger, but it is semi-open though.

post #52 of 204


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeni View Post

Thank you for the review. I need light weight phones and really interested in these, but concerned that the bass-shy, upward tilted frequency response may sound etched or bright to me. I wonder also for not much more money one can get the K601

 

Meanwhile a review is up on Playback, apparantly they have the same impression as yours regarding the frequency response.

 

http://www.avguide.com/blog/first-listen-krk-systems-kns-8400-professional-headphones?utm_campaign=Weekly+Email&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-111

 

 


I've had both the K601s and 8400s.  I'd take the 8400s any day, with the possible exception of comfort (directly related to the headband; I modified mine, and YMMV).  I think they're more versatile.  And the treble is very well extended, but I don't think I'd describe them as bright.  It's well extended but smooth.  I don't find them bass-shy.  Drums are reproduced extremely well on these headphones.  Here's the link to my review, as well as pictures of the headband modification I did (the modification post is one of the last ones):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/570501/the-krk-kns-8400-you-can-have-it-all

 


Edited by Marximus - 10/3/11 at 9:14am
post #53 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

8400 would be a better match. The HD-668B IMO isn't really all that balanced, but close. It seems to really focus on the bass and treble and recess the mids slightly. Soundstage of the 668B is a lot larger, but it is semi-open though.


ok, thanks!
Since I'm already here, I'd just like to say I like your reviews, have been following you for some time now and would really like to own the Koss ProDj100 when I have a good amp.
Did that sound a little weird? I bet it did! Haha I just wanna say that your reviews really help, and I highly regard them since your music preferences are very similar to mine
post #54 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Fart View Post

ok, thanks!
Since I'm already here, I'd just like to say I like your reviews, have been following you for some time now and would really like to own the Koss ProDj100 when I have a good amp.
You should! I got one because of his review, and they don't disappoint. Really hard to choose a favorite between it and my srh840.

Definitely get some M50 pads for it though. Not a fan of how the stock pads sound at all, but the M50's really turn it into something nice.
post #55 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200poundsofamp View Post


You should! I got one because of his review, and they don't disappoint. Really hard to choose a favorite between it and my srh840.
Definitely get some M50 pads for it though. Not a fan of how the stock pads sound at all, but the M50's really turn it into something nice.


Among your headphones, which is your favorite? I've noticed you have the Panasonic HTF600, thats in my wishlist too. Wanna know how it compares to ProDj100 and Fostex T50rp :)

 

Edit: Oh, and what made you let go your JVC HARX700?


Edited by Stinky Fart - 10/3/11 at 11:43pm
post #56 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Fart View Post

Among your headphones, which is your favorite? I've noticed you have the Panasonic HTF600, thats in my wishlist too. Wanna know how it compares to ProDj100 and Fostex T50rp :)

 

Edit: Oh, and what made you let go your JVC HARX700?

 

Probably the 840, then the DJ100. All I can say about the T50rp is that my mods are pretty crap, but I like it a lot anyways. If you have the patience you could probably get them sounding better than any of these, but flattening out the midrange and getting the treble where it should be just isn't that easy.

The DJ100 and the srh840 actually sound really similar, I think if someone liked the Shures but wanted a little more bass and upper mids and a little less treble the DJ100s would be perfect for them. So it's still balanced, warm and smooth sounding, but with more of a fun sound signature and WAY better bass extension, the 840 rolls off a little early but the DJ100 hits 20hz like it doesn't even care. It's the one I go for if I just just want to enjoy things.


The srh840 is a little cleaner, more resolving and more balanced sounding except for the slight treble spike, so if you really want to make a cello or piano sound good the srh840 is your man. So it's really hard to pick a favorite, even though I think the 840 is slightly better. One thing the DJ100 does surprisingly better though is imaging, and they don't look so -> jecklinsmile.gif


The HTF-600 is damned nice for $30, and pretty much the perfect hiphop can. Lots of lower mids and hard hitting bass, maybe slightly less warm overall than the srh840, but with a lot more midbass. Does a really good job of being bass heavy while still keeping everything up front and center. The midrange balance makes vocals sound a little dull, and there's a little bit of plasticky sound with the stock pads, but nothing to complain about really. Just keeps it from competing with the 840 and dj100 for me, I think both of those have a better midrange balance, and the dj100 has enough bass for me. Beyer pads on it solve a lot of that, but it does something weird to the midrange for me, like its hollow or diffused or something, I don't like it.

 

Got rid of the rx700 because all of these outclass it pretty hard! For $30 it's more neutral than the HTF-600, and doesn't leak as much sound, but that's all I like about it. If you ignore the sound signature the Panasonic is just smoother and more controlled across the board.

post #57 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200poundsofamp View Post

 

Probably the 840, then the DJ100. All I can say about the T50rp is that my mods are pretty crap, but I like it a lot anyways. If you have the patience you could probably get them sounding better than any of these, but flattening out the midrange and getting the treble where it should be just isn't that easy.The DJ100 and the srh840 actually sound really similar, I think if someone liked the Shures but wanted a little more bass and upper mids and a little less treble the DJ100s would be perfect for them. So it's still balanced, warm and smooth sounding, but with more of a fun sound signature and WAY better bass extension, the 840 rolls off a little early but the DJ100 hits 20hz like it doesn't even care. It's the one I go for if I just just want to enjoy things.

The srh840 is a little cleaner, more resolving and more balanced sounding except for the slight treble spike, so if you really want to make a cello or piano sound good the srh840 is your man. So it's really hard to pick a favorite, even though I think the 840 is slightly better. One thing the DJ100 does surprisingly better though is imaging, and they don't look so -> jecklinsmile.gif

The HTF-600 is damned nice for $30, and pretty much the perfect hiphop can. Lots of lower mids and hard hitting bass, maybe slightly less warm overall than the srh840, but with a lot more midbass. Does a really good job of being bass heavy while still keeping everything up front and center. The midrange balance makes vocals sound a little dull, and there's a little bit of plasticky sound with the stock pads, but nothing to complain about really. Just keeps it from competing with the 840 and dj100 for me, I think both of those have a better midrange balance, and the dj100 has enough bass for me. Beyer pads on it solve a lot of that, but it does something weird to the midrange for me, like its hollow or diffused or something, I don't like it.

 

Got rid of the rx700 because all of these outclass it pretty hard! For $30 it's more neutral than the HTF-600, and doesn't leak as much sound, but that's all I like about it. If you ignore the sound signature the Panasonic is just smoother and more controlled across the board.


thanks for the detailed comparisons! I'm trying to get the Panasonic but so far, no stock :(

post #58 of 204

What amps do you KNS8400 owners use to drive them, any specific recommendations? I'm quite new to this whole world of reference headphones and headphone amps and got interested after a friend of mine blazed these cans (and their little brother, the 6400, too).

post #59 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post

What amps do you KNS8400 owners use to drive them, any specific recommendations? I'm quite new to this whole world of reference headphones and headphone amps and got interested after a friend of mine blazed these cans (and their little brother, the 6400, too).



They're not that picky about amps. Any very good portable amp will do just fine. I like them with my Total Airhead and E5. I mostly use them with my Headroom Micro Amp, but expensive desktop amps might be a bit overkill for them unless you have other headphones.

Headroom Micro Amp + HRT Music Streamer II is pretty impressive with the KNS-6400!

post #60 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post



They're not that picky about amps. Any very good portable amp will do just fine. I like them with my Total Airhead and E5. I mostly use them with my Headroom Micro Amp, but expensive desktop amps might be a bit overkill for them unless you have other headphones.

Headroom Micro Amp + HRT Music Streamer II is pretty impressive with the KNS-6400!


 

Thanks tdockweiler for your good answer! I've been thinking of getting the 6400's but have to do an a/b comparison with a couple of other cans. I've been reading about headphone amps here and there, and what confuses me as a beginner is the "1/8 output impedance rule/guideline" for driving cans optimally. I know this is not the only thing one has to focus on when choosing an amp for headphones, but ie. most of the desktop mixers, semi pro to pro studio headphone amps and such don't have anywhere near that low output impedance. I checked some options out and found the Project Head-Box II and Musical Fidelity V-CAN, and both raised my interest. Though I'm thinking those might be a bit of an overkill for my purposes. The E5 and such sure are interesting and might be OK, but I don't plan on using the cans with a portable player and would like to have balanced (preferably) or unbalanced mono inputs (either RCA, TRS or XLR) and mains power supply. A stereo input could (maybe) be as OK as separate inputs, but I'm a bit suspicious about using a Y-cable. What I mean to do is connect my PCIe soundcard, which has unbalanced (RCA) and balanced (TRS) outputs, to the amp. One option I considered was a (not too expensive) desktop solution which would have signal outs too in case I ever wanted to get decent speakers.

 

Edit: What really intrigues me is building my own amp (CMOY-project) but I really don't know anything about electronics and building stuff + it will be a big trial-error mess! But now that I really gave it a thought the V-CAN is pretty tempting as an option!


Edited by Inky - 11/24/11 at 10:35am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › KRK KNS-8400 Review (Impressive $150 headphone)