Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Disappointed in nuforce udac2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Disappointed in nuforce udac2

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Just got my package in the mail of my DT990 (250 ohm) s and my udac2. While the combo sounds pretty good, I feel that the udac doesnt give me the volume I want... Just ordered a Aune DAC/AMP on ebay, but Im wondering if it's worth keeping the udac around.

post #2 of 16

You mean you turned the volume knob to max and you don't think it's loud enough? Did you check that your volume is set to 100% in your operating system?

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

yea did that.

 

checked OS volume 

check that volume pots was all the way up

 

it is ok for 60% of my media but the other 40% is just.....lacking. It scares me when something like that doesnt give me headroom.

post #4 of 16

For the asking price, I'm thinking that you may simply have been expecting a bit too much of the amp section of the uDAC2. Without looking at the specs, I am assuming that it has a line-out : buy a dedicated amp like the StepDance or the iBasso P4 and enjoy the DAC section of the NuForce unit - fwir, thats where the value is in that particular piece of kit.

 

This 6Moons review features a photo of the HRT Streamer Pro hooked up to the Icon HDP - its a combination I personally would like to hear, but you dont have to spend that kind of money to get the 'headroom' you desire.

 

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hrt2/pro_4.html

post #5 of 16

 just bought the nuforce usb A-B cable..usd29bucks off amazon.

believe i am getting wider soundstage and its cutting thru the clutter like a butterknife..

sounds beefier too my udac2..nice.

i am switching between the old stockUSB and new cable right this moment for the last 30mins..

worth the purchase i definitely recommend this.

post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

For the asking price, I'm thinking that you may simply have been expecting a bit too much of the amp section of the uDAC2. Without looking at the specs, I am assuming that it has a line-out : buy a dedicated amp like the StepDance or the iBasso P4 and enjoy the DAC section of the NuForce unit - fwir, thats where the value is in that particular piece of kit.

 

This 6Moons review features a photo of the HRT Streamer Pro hooked up to the Icon HDP - its a combination I personally would like to hear, but you dont have to spend that kind of money to get the 'headroom' you desire.

 

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hrt2/pro_4.html



What this guy said. tongue.gif

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer9019 View Post

Just got my package in the mail of my DT990 (250 ohm) s and my udac2. While the combo sounds pretty good, I feel that the udac doesnt give me the volume I want... Just ordered a Aune DAC/AMP on ebay, but Im wondering if it's worth keeping the udac around.


uDAC-2 does have a lower line out than even the uDAC-1. It's mentioned in the headfonia review that uDAC-2 is more suitable for IEMs than power hungry headphones - http://www.headfonia.com/the-udac-2/

post #8 of 16

Amp section in uDac2 isn't really powerful, or to make it simple, I'll categorize the amp section as a weak amp. It has really good DAC quality though.

post #9 of 16

I second that, with a better USB cable (Wireworld or Nuforce), the analog performance is elevated.  I also hear a more relaxed sound, bigger soundstage and better tonality.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

 just bought the nuforce usb A-B cable..usd29bucks off amazon.

believe i am getting wider soundstage and its cutting thru the clutter like a butterknife..

sounds beefier too my udac2..nice.

i am switching between the old stockUSB and new cable right this moment for the last 30mins..

worth the purchase i definitely recommend this.

post #10 of 16

I knew it...

post #11 of 16

Zombie_X referred the Phenix G3/uDac2 combo for my Beyerdynamic dt 990s (600 ohm). I am still wondering if I should go for that or the LD MK iii/(accompanying Dac) combo instead. Any additional thoughts from those who have had experience with both amps? Thanks.

post #12 of 16

My budget is low, roughly $200 for the amp and or DAC. As for the size of the amp, this will be for my desktop.

post #13 of 16

fiio e9 is cheap, powerful, and neutral, you could use the udac2 line out to hook it to the e9 (you'll need rca to mini cable though since e9 only have mini line in afaik).

post #14 of 16

Second that FiiO E9. It will solve all your amping needs. The DT990 250 requires a lot of power. The old uDAC, which apparently has better power output than the new one, did not do too well with my DT770 250. These are not powerful amps. I had to hook the uDAC to a dedicated desktop amp to get good results. The uDAC2 I'm sure does even worse according to reports (I hear its headphone amp has much lower gain than the uDAC) so you should hook it up to a good old amp.  uDAC2 is like $100, the E9 is also around that price. Should fit the $200 budget fine.

post #15 of 16

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I'm curious about this since a bunch of friends are suggesting I get the udac2, What were you trying to drive with it?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Disappointed in nuforce udac2