New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

closed

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

closed


Edited by carnival - 3/23/11 at 7:16pm
post #2 of 25

M2 or 3 should suit

post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 

bring up my post

post #4 of 25
Thread Starter 

Anyone?

post #5 of 25

You've read joker's reviews, right? The Table in Post #8 is a big help. He works very hard at providing consistent scoring for the many IEMs he's reviewed, and he's clear about his bias toward more detailed, "analytical" phones.

 

HeadphoneAddict seems to prefer a more "fun" sound signature, so you should checkout his reviews and comments. He has just given his first impressions of the NuForce NE-700X, which sounds intriguing.

 

The Sunrise X-cape seems pretty interesting as well as the Brainwavz M3 you mentioned. The Fischer Silver Bullet also seems to be very capable. I love my Fischer DBA-02's, but they require patience to purchase.

 

FOTM seems to be a function of what's newest to the market, and it seems like IEMs have been getting better and cheaper (or at least better quality for a decent price) in the last year.


Edited by dfrost - 12/3/10 at 9:01am
post #6 of 25

I'm looking at making a similar purchase, and they'll be my first set of IEMs. Since I'm new and don't know what to expect, I'm inclined to head toward the M2, but I'd really like to jump to the DBA-02 if there's a significant difference in quality. All I know is that I've been listening to some Grado SR60s on a rockboxed clip+ for 3 months and I would like a jump in sound quality. Can I get a jump in SQ from the SR60s with a pair of IEMs? or will I need full-size cans to get there?

 

Carnival, I was really excited about the RE0s until I found reviews calling them boring - which seems to be why you are turned off as well. What are you listening to now? My research (heavily influenced by joker's posts) seem to say that there's not much between the $99 (M3, RE0) and $160 (DBA-02) range, and that's why I've set those 2 as benchmarks

post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrost View Post

You've read joker's reviews, right? The Table in Post #8 is a big help. He works very hard at providing consistent scoring for the many IEMs he's reviewed, and he's clear about his bias toward more detailed, "analytical" phones.

 

HeadphoneAddict seems to prefer a more "fun" sound signature, so you should checkout his reviews and comments. He has just given his first impressions of the NuForce NE-700X, which sounds intriguing.

 

The Sunrise X-cape seems pretty interesting as well as the Brainwavz M3 you mentioned. The Fischer Silver Bullet also seems to be very capable. I love my Fischer DBA-02's, but they require patience to purchase.

 

FOTM seems to be a function of what's newest to the market, and it seems like IEMs have been getting better and cheaper (or at least better quality for a decent price) in the last year.


I do read joker's posts very frequently, as well as HeadphoneAddict, but the problem is that no IEM is the single best, or the most perfect, so it's difficult to narrow down results. Some IEMs are also better in one particular area, but more average in another, and so every time I think I'm about ready to choose one, some negative feedback on it makes me start to think more critically and I'm back to square one. I'm actually trying to get my hands on a pair of DBA-02s as we speak, but as you mentioned, it's a waiting game and noone can really give an estimate on when they'll have more in stock. 

 

And I think the fact that everything is becoming better and more affordable complicates the decision even more :P

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSalamander View Post

I'm looking at making a similar purchase, and they'll be my first set of IEMs. Since I'm new and don't know what to expect, I'm inclined to head toward the M2, but I'd really like to jump to the DBA-02 if there's a significant difference in quality. All I know is that I've been listening to some Grado SR60s on a rockboxed clip+ for 3 months and I would like a jump in sound quality. Can I get a jump in SQ from the SR60s with a pair of IEMs? or will I need full-size cans to get there?

 

Carnival, I was really excited about the RE0s until I found reviews calling them boring - which seems to be why you are turned off as well. What are you listening to now? My research (heavily influenced by joker's posts) seem to say that there's not much between the $99 (M3, RE0) and $160 (DBA-02) range, and that's why I've set those 2 as benchmarks


I'm not saying that I'm declining the RE0s because they're 'boring', per se, I just am not in the market for a pair of analytical IEMs at the moment. I probably will eventually get a high-end neutral pair at some point (SM3, I'm looking at you), but at the present I need a more well-rounded pair.  This is why I mentioned in my response to dfrost that I was thinking about the DBA-02s, as they sound like they are an excellent all-around IEM. It would be so much easier if I was able to try out everything to see what sounds good to me, but such is not the way of life.

post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 

Anyone who has any experience with the Fischer DBA-02s know if they would be a good choice?

I'm seeing glowing praise, but I still am unconfirmed with how they sound unamped and whether or not they're a little harsh on the highs.

(source: gen 5.5 iPod, most songs ALAC.)

post #9 of 25

Fischer DBA-02's were my first (and second!) "good" IEMs. They are fine unamped for me, and don't sound harsh, sibilant or overly bright to these old ears. I'm very pleased with the fit using OEM or Shure single flange, which is critical to get the best sound from these (or many other) IEMs.

 

There have been the occasional tracks where they even sound too bassy! But then along comes some really well-mixed music (Lyle Lovett always seems to be well-done), and the bass-mid-treble mix is perfect (true more often than not with most music). That shows me that these really are transparent - they convey what's in the mix, not any coloration of their own. If the source file was intended to be bass-heavy (Bonnie Raitt is always that way, live or recording) then that's what the DBA will deliver.

 

Its worth repeating - get the right tips that fit YOUR ears, and then spend some time getting used to them.

 

PS. I'm using direct from an iPod Classic and Blackberry Curve, The iPod is a slightly warmer source, but the DBA's are fine with either.


Edited by dfrost - 12/7/10 at 4:30pm
post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrost View Post

Fischer DBA-02's were my first (and second!) "good" IEMs. They are fine unamped for me, and don't sound harsh, sibilant or overly bright to these old ears. I'm very pleased with the fit using OEM or Shure single flange, which is critical to get the best sound from these (or many other) IEMs.

 

There have been the occasional tracks where they even sound too bassy! But then along comes some really well-mixed music (Lyle Lovett always seems to be well-done), and the bass-mid-treble mix is perfect (true more often than not with most music). That shows me that these really are transparent - they convey what's in the mix, not any coloration of their own. If the source file was intended to be bass-heavy (Bonnie Raitt is always that way, live or recording) then that's what the DBA will deliver.

 

Its worth repeating - get the right tips that fit YOUR ears, and then spend some time getting used to them.

 

PS. I'm using direct from an iPod Classic and Blackberry Curve, The iPod is a slightly warmer source, but the DBA's are fine with either.


That's good.. I didn't think it would be a problem until a few people in this thread mentioned that they were sibilant.. I'm just worried because if I get them and they're too harsh, I'm stuck with them and out of $150..
I also don't know what tips I would use as I've never had a pair of IEMs...
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival View Post

That's good.. I didn't think it would be a problem until a few people in this thread mentioned that they were sibilant.. I'm just worried because if I get them and they're too harsh, I'm stuck with them and out of $150..
I also don't know what tips I would use as I've never had a pair of IEMs...

I seriously doubt that you'd be stuck "out of $150" if you didn't like the DBA's. There are plenty of head-fi-ers that would buy them from you.

 

The DBA's now come with an excellent selection of tips, so work through those first, making sure that you look at some of the suggestions for ways to get a good seal. I now fit IEMs in my ears differently than I did with my first IEM's. If none of the included tips work, there are some good alternatives with foam tips (Comply, Shure "olives"), and the tri-flanges can be modded.

 

Note also what I said about spending some time getting used to them. There's a point of view that burn-in is mostly a matter of getting used to the sound. Personally, I believe that dynamics can change sound quality in their first 50-200 hours of use, but balanced armatures don't.
 

post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Saying this again.
My only experience with treble-oriented HPs is with the 780s, which I thought were too harsh for my liking.
Not sure if that helps with the DBA-02 decision.
post #13 of 25

l took a punt and ordered the DBA-02's myself , as l have no way of listening to any of the better IEM's around as there was'nt any anywhere within reasonable driving distance from me here.

Hopefully get them next week .....orded off ethan on the 6th  :)

 

Cheers Ken

post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesa32 View Post

l took a punt and ordered the DBA-02's myself , as l have no way of listening to any of the better IEM's around as there was'nt any anywhere within reasonable driving distance from me here.

Hopefully get them next week .....orded off ethan on the 6th  :)

 

Cheers Ken


Good luck, be sure to report back after giving them some listening time!
post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 
bring up my post.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: