I've been staring at an AKG K701 and telling myself "I want it, I want it.." but the more I go in-depth the more I feel like i'll be disappointed.. (plastic sounds, etc.) So since it's been a while like 4 years I believe.. will AKG release a new flagship soon? or do I need to consult to a lot of fortune cookies?
Related Forum Threads
- Asking headfi, should I fix my broken AKG K1000's for $850, or sell them cheap and get... Last post on 8/18/11 at 1:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- akg is considering to remake the k1000 but only if it gets enough love on its facebook page Last post on 3/24/13 at 1:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Sized Headphone that is the Best at Timbre (Most Timbre Accuracy) Last post on 8/23/10 at 3:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- NOS AKG K1000 for 550$? Is it ok? Last post on 8/16/10 at 3:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K1000 and DAC Magic Last post on 9/1/10 at 9:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the...
These headphones are a steal for the msrp price (don't mind that I got a killer deal). I haven't heard any headphone come close to achieving the textures achieved by the PSBs. The chunkiness...
I bought this headphone as part of a search for an birthday present for my little brother (going for that brother of the year award, he deserved it). I tested and listened to the DT 770 pro 32 ohm...
Intro/Setup The full-size closed under $200 category is a very popular one among pro’s and casual listeners alike. The most similar competitor to this I own is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro...
Fantastic sound quality! Very clean, detailed and balanced sound. Really strong power for high impedance headphones. Best buy until US 250,00.. It can drive easily my AKG K702 (famous for being...
Is there such a thing as product cycles for headphones?post #1 of 711/27/10 at 9:57pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 711/27/10 at 10:11pmpost #3 of 711/27/10 at 10:17pmThread Starterpost #4 of 711/27/10 at 10:21pmAKG was rumored to have a new headphone for CES 2010, but nothing turned up. They have been dropping hints that a new one is on the way.
I would not hold my breath for one big reason. There's been an escalating price war among manufacturers. What they produce is likely to be over $1,000 just to keep up with everyone else.
So if you're expecting a new $300-$400 headphone, you'll probably get one priced in T1/HD-800 territory.
Why are you bent on buying an AKG, anyway? They're notoriously difficult to drive (which has nothing to do with impedance, by the way) and they all need a desktop amp for good performance.
Why not look at Grado/Alessandro headphones? They're easily driven by an iPod. Another I like is the Sony MDR-V6.
If you want to go for a full-sized headphone with a desktop amp, be sure to consider classics like the HD-800 and DT880. Both have a better tonal balance than the K-701.post #5 of 711/28/10 at 12:01amThread Starter
You know what Uncle Erik, i really really really really x100,000,000 should listen to these before I buy anything.. I fancy the K701 (so-far) for its classy-modern look they have, but the fact that I never had a listen to a descent set-up, makes me just clueless about what to expect.post #6 of 711/28/10 at 12:05amWhere do you live? There are a few shops that carry the K-701. Also, there are a couple of meets coming up. Check out the Meet Forum. If you csn get to one, you're guaranteed to hear a K-701 and plenty else. They're also a lot of fun and you'll end up with some new friends.post #7 of 711/28/10 at 12:14amThread Starter
I live in Vancouver, and yea definitely found some shops around here that I could venture, but the weather and school has been really putting me off of it
'll make sure I look into those meet-ups I could really use a friend who knows the world of audio (trying absorb all of head-fi's experiences and knowledge.. it's just not going to happen). Thank you!
- Is there such a thing as product cycles for headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread 5 seconds ago
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr - $499/£399 54 seconds ago
- › Cambridge meet impressions, 25 April 2015 1 minute ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 3 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 9 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 15 minutes ago
- › ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod 16 minutes ago
- › HTC One M9 review "even louder than M8" 17 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics A151P Gen.2 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by YoYo JoKeR
- › PSB M4U 1 by squee116
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohm by goropeza
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by rigodeni
- › Matrix M-Stage by Johannus
- › Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Black by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Johannus
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2