I've been staring at an AKG K701 and telling myself "I want it, I want it.." but the more I go in-depth the more I feel like i'll be disappointed.. (plastic sounds, etc.) So since it's been a while like 4 years I believe.. will AKG release a new flagship soon? or do I need to consult to a lot of fortune cookies?
Related Forum Threads
- Asking headfi, should I fix my broken AKG K1000's for $850, or sell them cheap and get... Last post on 8/18/11 at 1:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
- akg is considering to remake the k1000 but only if it gets enough love on its facebook page Last post on 3/24/13 at 1:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Full Sized Headphone that is the Best at Timbre (Most Timbre Accuracy) Last post on 8/23/10 at 3:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- NOS AKG K1000 for 550$? Is it ok? Last post on 8/16/10 at 3:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K1000 and DAC Magic Last post on 9/1/10 at 9:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The ONKYO A800 is a very impressive headphone indeed, and I believe it has the potential to really earn a following among headphone enthusiasts. To be sure, we are in an unprecedented...
Last year I was so excited buying the Walkman Zx2 and Z7 from Sony, and I was gradually enjoying the better of real quality audio when I am stepping back into the portable world. I feel that now...
First off, thanks to Pandora from Brainwavz for reaching out and offering the opportunity to look at the "Jive". Secondly, I noticed a trend that I'm giving 4 stars to everything I've reviewed...
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
Is there such a thing as product cycles for headphones?post #1 of 711/27/10 at 9:57pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 711/27/10 at 10:11pmpost #3 of 711/27/10 at 10:17pmThread Starterpost #4 of 711/27/10 at 10:21pmAKG was rumored to have a new headphone for CES 2010, but nothing turned up. They have been dropping hints that a new one is on the way.
I would not hold my breath for one big reason. There's been an escalating price war among manufacturers. What they produce is likely to be over $1,000 just to keep up with everyone else.
So if you're expecting a new $300-$400 headphone, you'll probably get one priced in T1/HD-800 territory.
Why are you bent on buying an AKG, anyway? They're notoriously difficult to drive (which has nothing to do with impedance, by the way) and they all need a desktop amp for good performance.
Why not look at Grado/Alessandro headphones? They're easily driven by an iPod. Another I like is the Sony MDR-V6.
If you want to go for a full-sized headphone with a desktop amp, be sure to consider classics like the HD-800 and DT880. Both have a better tonal balance than the K-701.post #5 of 711/28/10 at 12:01amThread Starter
You know what Uncle Erik, i really really really really x100,000,000 should listen to these before I buy anything.. I fancy the K701 (so-far) for its classy-modern look they have, but the fact that I never had a listen to a descent set-up, makes me just clueless about what to expect.post #6 of 711/28/10 at 12:05amWhere do you live? There are a few shops that carry the K-701. Also, there are a couple of meets coming up. Check out the Meet Forum. If you csn get to one, you're guaranteed to hear a K-701 and plenty else. They're also a lot of fun and you'll end up with some new friends.post #7 of 711/28/10 at 12:14amThread Starter
I live in Vancouver, and yea definitely found some shops around here that I could venture, but the weather and school has been really putting me off of it
'll make sure I look into those meet-ups I could really use a friend who knows the world of audio (trying absorb all of head-fi's experiences and knowledge.. it's just not going to happen). Thank you!
- Is there such a thing as product cycles for headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Earbuds Round-Up 29 seconds ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 52 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 headphone purchase ? 1 minute ago
- › Shanling M2 DAP 1 minute ago
- › Anybody here playing Pokemon GO? 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio E18 2 minutes ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 4 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 5 minutes ago
- › Beoplay (B&O) H7's announced 5 minutes ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 7 minutes ago
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...