So my apple ipod earphones are dying on me. I'm really new to buying earphones but want the best I can get for $100-150. I listen to all types of music and would prefer earphones with an mic so i can take calls (for that day when verizon comes to the iphone...hopefully). I'm not very tech savvy so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
- productEtymotic Research HF2 Earphones / Headset (iPhone Compatible) - Rubytagged by System, 12/8/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 12/8/10
- productUltimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Casetagged by System, 12/8/10
Related Forum Threads
- Help buying in-ear headset Last post on 9/27/10 at 4:19am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- In ear headset Last post on 9/27/10 at 9:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- ultimate ears triple fi 10 in NYC Last post on 10/17/11 at 2:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for a IEM with these preferences.... Last post on 12/13/10 at 4:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The Problem with IEM's....Earwax.... Last post on 10/10/10 at 1:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
These headphones are made for listening to modern extreme genres of loud brickwalled poor-quality metal. They smoothen out spikiness and make drums sound so powerful and quick as if your head was...
Greetings, We all know it's coming, whether we like it or not. The wireless wave is upon us. Pretty much every major earphone manufacturer has a wireless option, and there are countless others...
what earphones would you buy for $100-150?post #1 of 2111/26/10 at 9:07pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2111/26/10 at 9:17pm
What kind of sound do you want? Something with good bass, mids, etc.
Also where are you located as prices vary by country and are you opposed to buying used
Edited by rawrster - 11/26/10 at 9:19pmpost #3 of 2111/26/10 at 9:23pmThread Starter
I'm not big into bass, I live in the USA. Pretty much I just want the music to sound the way it was intended to sound. I have a lot of FLAC music so it would be nice to be able to hear the difference between mp3 and FLAC. Not opposed to buying used but prefer brand new.post #4 of 2111/26/10 at 9:38pm
I'd go with the Etymotic HF2 in that case. Also, I hope you're aware that the iPhone is not the only phone that supports mic'd stereo headsets.post #5 of 2111/27/10 at 4:22pmpost #6 of 2111/27/10 at 4:26pmQuote:
and your point?
Anyway, are you looking for portable headphones or in-ear monitors (like your apple earbuds)?post #7 of 2111/27/10 at 4:34pm
Quote:Originally Posted by bhome83
So my apple ipod earphones are dying on me. I'm really new to buying earphones but want the best I can get for $100-150. I listen to all types of music and would prefer earphones with an mic so i can take calls (for that day when verizon comes to the iphone...hopefully). I'm not very tech savvy so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.Quote:
I'm not big into bass, I live in the USA. Pretty much I just want the music to sound the way it was intended to sound. I have a lot of FLAC music so it would be nice to be able to hear the difference between mp3 and FLAC. Not opposed to buying used but prefer brand new.
In the $100 to $150 range you would be a good candidate according to your requirements for the Phonak Audeo PFE (Perfect Fit Earphone) Earphone according to what you are asking for...wanting to hear music the way it was intended, earphone with a mic and you're not big into bass. They give you perhaps best clarity and precision in the sub-$150 earphone price range ...
Here it is and it comes in mic & mic less versions:
Another earphone i would recommend is the Etymotic HF2 which comes with a mic and allows you to hear music the way it was intended. But I should let you know the Etymotics earphones go deep into the ear canal to get a good seal, I don't know if that bothers you...for some people it feels
uncomfortable. Here is a link:
Edited by Starsky5000 - 11/28/10 at 8:11ampost #8 of 2111/27/10 at 8:37pmThread Starter
thanks guys for the help! So if I were to go the etymotic route (still unsure how comfortable they would be if they dig in your ears so much) and wanted to save money and NOT go the mic route, which model would I get? Also, does anyone know a retail store where you can actually try these earphones on? I live in the Seattle, WA area and it would be nice to try them on before committing to buy them. btw, im looking for in-ear monitors like my apple buds.post #9 of 2111/28/10 at 5:48am
The type of those in 1st pic are called "buds", the 2nd are refered to as "IEMs". The 2nd have to go into ear canal to sound "full". At first it may be unconfortable, but I think you'll get used to it quite quickly.
AFAIK there are cables with mic into which you can plug any headphone and use as headset. In that case you have many options. Eg some like Panasonic HJE900 very much, and they're said to be unbreakable.
pzdrpost #10 of 2111/28/10 at 11:06am
Hi bhome83. To answer your question "which earphones would you buy for 100-150" I will tell you what I did buy when I was in a similar spot as you. I had the apple buds which hurt my ears after wearing them for a long time - 30+ minutes. Perhaps they didn't hurt but they didn't feel good. I did some research here and around the web to see what other's thought were decent earphones in the $100ish price range. I rather quickly narrowed it down to the Klipsch Image S4i. I'm no expert on sound, electronics, music or any related topic but I know what I like and these earphones make me very happy when I am listening to music. I tend to listen to music by U2, CSN&Y, Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam and they all sound great to my ear through the S4i. I am also in the US and picked these up at a local retail store that would allow me to return them if I wasn't satisfied. These earphones have a Mic so that you can take calls from your iPhone. I am very happy I found these earphones. Probably worth a look for you.post #11 of 2111/28/10 at 11:10ampost #12 of 2112/7/10 at 11:24pmThread Starterpost #13 of 2112/7/10 at 11:40pmQuote:
There is only one difference - the HF3 has a full iPhone remote with volume controls while the HF2 only has a single button.post #14 of 2112/8/10 at 11:38pmThread StarterReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- what earphones would you buy for $100-150?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Amps for Planar Headphones 6 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › I am torn between Sennheiser HD 598 CS, HD 598 SE, or Beyerdynamic... 1 minute ago
- › Rock Jaw Resonate impression thread 1 minute ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 2 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 3 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC) 4 minutes ago
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear