these are good looking headphones, which is most people wear headphones outside want them to be. So, we have to accept it. fellow headfiers.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Remove Sennheiser 598 cushions and replace them. Last post on 10/7/11 at 3:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New Headphones by Beats by Dr Dre Last post on 3/9/12 at 7:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beats Last post on 10/20/13 at 7:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help choosing Headphone Last post on 9/14/11 at 8:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dr dre headphones review Last post on 8/31/11 at 11:37am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
"In a cold world of flagships, the LCD-4 gives me the warmth I have been asking for." -Probably someone...
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
Beats by Dr. Dre Solo - ear cushions? - Page 2post #16 of 361/7/11 at 1:27pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 361/7/11 at 1:28pmThread StarterQuote:
Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Solos cost £150, and my main headphones are the WeSC Alp Horn teamed up with a Fiio E5 amp. The headphones cost me £90, the amp was just over a tenner on eBay, and it sounds better than the Solos. I got to test out the Beats Studio headphones in HMV as well, and bizarrely, I think the Solo sounds better! It might just be because the Beats headphones mostly consist of cranking the bass up to mask the flaws in the rest of the sound. I prefer my Alp Horns, because they sound more natural. Also, teamed with the amp, they're loud as f**k! Turn it up to the max, have the headphones around my neck, and I'm a walking speaker! :Ppost #18 of 361/7/11 at 1:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by MightyJordanQuote:
Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Solos cost £150, and my main headphones are the WeSC Alp Horn teamed up with a Fiio E5 amp. The headphones cost me £90, the amp was just over a tenner on eBay, and it sounds better than the Solos. I got to test out the Beats Studio headphones in HMV as well, and bizarrely, I think the Solo sounds better! It might just be because the Beats headphones mostly consist of cranking the bass up to mask the flaws in the rest of the sound. I prefer my Alp Horns, because they sound more natural. Also, teamed with the amp, they're loud as f**k! Turn it up to the max, have the headphones around my neck, and I'm a walking speaker! :P
have tried those alp horns at HMV several times, meh, not impressed at all.
although they are much cheaper than beats, still, 90 quid could get you something better.post #19 of 361/7/11 at 2:04pmThread StarterQuote:
Yeah, they are a bit average on their own, but with the amp, they're much better. And yeah, you're right, I could get something better for £90, but I didn't really have much choice when I got them. They were an exchange for my previous pair before them, which were the Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 vi, which failed on me after a few weeks (iHeadphones were kind enough to let me exchange the replacement pair I got from Logitech).
If the Alp Horns fail on me, I'll probably get the Shure SRH440s next, as I love the SRH240, but the cables were very flimsy on them, so the sound would go on one side after just a few months usage ( I went through at least three pairs of them. The SRH440 would be much better, as they've got a detachable cable, so much less chance of them going wrong. I used to own the Sennheiser HD 215s, and they had a detachable cable as well. They lasted over year for me without any problems. :) The only reason I got rid of them were because the they were a bit too bulky, even for my head. :Ppost #20 of 361/9/11 at 2:24am
Quote:Originally Posted by MightyJordanQuote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to update this (sorry!)!
I got a reply from Monster (although the email said it was from "AMD Europe") on the 29th, saying they had a grey pair (the ones that they use on the white Solo HD headphones) that they'd be happy to send out, so I gave them my address, then the day after, they said they'd be sent out that day, and they arrived two days ago. :)
It turns out that the ear cushions are actually attached to a piece of plastic that twists and locks into the ear cup to keep it secure.
Im actually trying to contact monster to help me with the same problem, i have a missing cushion part myself. Ive been tryna contact them buy email since the 27th of Dec but i havent even gotten a single reply of any sort. Please what email address did you contact them with? or the AMD Europe email address if possible.post #21 of 361/9/11 at 2:42amQuote:
Nice job comparing a headphone against a headphone + amp combo. Very, very fair comparison there.
BTW, if you like SRH220 and are thinking of getting the SRH440, be sure to try the 440 out first. Personally I found the SRH220 sounds a lot better than the 440. The sound is cleaner and crisper with a more well-defined bass. The SRH440 sounded quite lazy and a bit veiled and muddy in comparison to my ears.
Edited by Mochan - 1/9/11 at 2:46ampost #22 of 361/9/11 at 4:05amThread Starter
Quote:Originally Posted by elseano
Im actually trying to contact monster to help me with the same problem, i have a missing cushion part myself. Ive been tryna contact them buy email since the 27th of Dec but i havent even gotten a single reply of any sort. Please what email address did you contact them with? or the AMD Europe email address if possible.
I used the support form on Monster Cable's page here: http://www.monstercable.com/service/default.asp
The email address they replied to me with is email@example.com #23 of 364/1/11 at 11:02ampost #24 of 364/1/11 at 12:15pmThread StarterQuote:
I can't remember how many days it took me to get a reply from Monster, but it was definitely a bit longer than usual (it was about four or five days), as it was during the Thanksgiving weekend. As for receiving the cushions, they sent them out on November 30th, and they arrived on December 10th, so
ten days in total, which isn't too bad. :)post #25 of 364/17/11 at 6:48ampost #26 of 366/13/11 at 2:11pm
I have the Monster Beats by Dr Dre Studio (powered) headphones. The leather is flaking off of the ear cushions after around 18 months of use. (Anyone having these headphones would do well to put some conditioner on the leather before it disintegrates.)
Here's what I learned from a phone rep at Monster today. There were two styles of ear cushion for this model. The old style is replaceable -- it's removed by depressing and twisting counter-clockwise. The new style is permanently attached and is not replaceable -- people lost a lot of ear cushions before the design change. They have few or no replacement ear cushions left for the old style headphones, and there never will be replacement cushions for the permanently attached cushions.
Just thought I'd pass this along, since the various models of Beats headphones have different ear cushion design, so someone else's method for replacing them might not work for you.post #27 of 368/18/11 at 3:23ampost #28 of 369/18/11 at 11:08pmpost #29 of 3610/21/11 at 5:23ampost #30 of 3610/21/11 at 6:42amQuote:
Just go onto their website, there's a CONTACT US bar, clickedy click it, and send them a nice e-mail.
- Beats by Dr. Dre Solo - ear cushions?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Headphones with a grainy sound and character? 54 seconds ago
- › Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital... 1 minute ago
- › Cartoon Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › Echobox: The Unveiling @ CES 2015 6 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 8 minutes ago
- › AKG N40 11 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 13 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 14 minutes ago
- › LG V10 - bad IMEI, ok for WiFi use, Android 6.0, - please read... 15 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 by Dillan
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...