I looked all over the place for a mention of these two cans together side by side in a single thread but i found nothin. They're in the same price range, both have fantastic sound qualities, and except for the fact the K242 HD's are over-ear compared to ESW9A on-ear classification they seem pretty head-to-head.. So am I the only one that's having trouble deciding between these two? (wouldn't be surprised.. since I just joined)
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphones under ~200 for the highs of trance and the lows of dubstep. ( Can't find... Last post on 10/25/12 at 11:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Creative Aurvana Live!; Brainwavz HM5; Something else? Last post on 6/14/12 at 5:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The NEW AKG K550 First impressions. Added pics! Last post on 5/7/12 at 10:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations please Edit: bought HD25 and getting 1964-Q, I'm gonna be broke Last post on 1/18/12 at 1:40pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Suggestions about akg k242 hd Last post on 10/7/11 at 7:19am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Disclaimer First of all, I would like to thank Audrey and the Brainwavz team for allowing me to review their S1 IEMs. I would also like to clarify that I am neither an affiliate of Brainwavz...
Overview The Alien is a well-priced (~$250 AUD), compact, screenless player that plays only WAV and FLAC files – no MP3, no AAC, just the two major lossless options. For some people that will...
Shure SRH840, are a value filled set of extraordinary headphones, worth every single coin you spend on it. The bass register is perfect for any genre of song you play through you...
I got the Sennheiser HD-598 based on all the existing rave reviews. It's amazingly comfortable. That's all the good I can say about it. I just hate the sound. Okay, I am no "audiophile". I am...
This is a good amplifier in my limited experience, *but*, it might not better than some of the leading solid-state competitors in this price range ($500-600). I haven't compared it too, for...
AKG K242 HD vs, ATH-ESW9A a fair game?post #1 of 311/22/10 at 9:03pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 311/22/10 at 9:33pm
Both of these are completely different from each other when it comes to the sound signatures. Kind of like comparing the SRH-750DJ to the AKG K701.
The K242 shouldn't be anywhere near the price of the ESW9a, but I guess it could be. The pricing of AKG stuff seems to be really screwed up and just plain bad in the USA at times. I'm not sure if you're in the USA or not. The k242 is basically almost the same as the k240 which is $99. Same drivers.
The K242 is a very neutral headphone, useful for studio monitoring I'd say. It won't do too much of anything and will have a very balanced sound. I've found my k240 to have a little extra bass though.
The ESW9a is headphone with just one of those "fun" sound signatures. I've found them way more bass heavy then I expected. Too bass heavy for me in fact. I also found the vocals were difficult to hear. The bass seemed to drown out the mids to my ears on some songs. It's totally not my sound signature, but some people seem to love it. They have gotten some good reviews in the portable forum. To me it's a headphone that doesn't sound as good as it looks. Sounded only as good as a $100 headphone to me.
It's funny I actually went from the M50 to the HFI-580 and then to the ESW9a. They kept getting worse and worse. None of them truly that terrible. I ended up with the k240, which I love.Quote:Originally Posted by pearlfact
I looked all over the place for a mention of these two cans together side by side in a single thread but i found nothin. They're in the same price range, both have fantastic sound qualities, and except for the fact the K242 HD's are over-ear compared to ESW9A on-ear classification they seem pretty head-to-head.. So am I the only one that's having trouble deciding between these two? (wouldn't be surprised.. since I just joined)post #3 of 311/22/10 at 9:42pmThread Starter
Wow thank you for such a clean, detailed and heart-full feedback.. I based the prices found on Amazon, it seems that ESW9A's are very under-priced and the K242 HD's are very over-priced according to what you've said,, shows how bad of a shopper i am haha
- AKG K242 HD vs, ATH-ESW9A a fair game?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Help with Headphone/Audio solution for Classical music 32 seconds ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 35 seconds ago
- › NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions 50 seconds ago
- › (NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs! 1 minute ago
- › Project Ember Review 2 minutes ago
- › A Comparison of different Virtual Surround Sound on the same Audio... 3 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 4 minutes ago
- › Should i convert to 256 kbps aac on itunes 6 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 6 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S1 by thatBeatsguy
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by Loquah
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundScout
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MyFamilyShoppin
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)