I looked all over the place for a mention of these two cans together side by side in a single thread but i found nothin. They're in the same price range, both have fantastic sound qualities, and except for the fact the K242 HD's are over-ear compared to ESW9A on-ear classification they seem pretty head-to-head.. So am I the only one that's having trouble deciding between these two? (wouldn't be surprised.. since I just joined)
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphones under ~200 for the highs of trance and the lows of dubstep. ( Can't find... Last post on 10/25/12 at 11:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Creative Aurvana Live!; Brainwavz HM5; Something else? Last post on 6/14/12 at 5:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The NEW AKG K550 First impressions. Added pics! Last post on 5/7/12 at 10:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations please Edit: bought HD25 and getting 1964-Q, I'm gonna be broke Last post on 1/18/12 at 1:40pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Suggestions about akg k242 hd Last post on 10/7/11 at 7:19am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
AKG K242 HD vs, ATH-ESW9A a fair game?post #1 of 311/22/10 at 9:03pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 311/22/10 at 9:33pm
Both of these are completely different from each other when it comes to the sound signatures. Kind of like comparing the SRH-750DJ to the AKG K701.
The K242 shouldn't be anywhere near the price of the ESW9a, but I guess it could be. The pricing of AKG stuff seems to be really screwed up and just plain bad in the USA at times. I'm not sure if you're in the USA or not. The k242 is basically almost the same as the k240 which is $99. Same drivers.
The K242 is a very neutral headphone, useful for studio monitoring I'd say. It won't do too much of anything and will have a very balanced sound. I've found my k240 to have a little extra bass though.
The ESW9a is headphone with just one of those "fun" sound signatures. I've found them way more bass heavy then I expected. Too bass heavy for me in fact. I also found the vocals were difficult to hear. The bass seemed to drown out the mids to my ears on some songs. It's totally not my sound signature, but some people seem to love it. They have gotten some good reviews in the portable forum. To me it's a headphone that doesn't sound as good as it looks. Sounded only as good as a $100 headphone to me.
It's funny I actually went from the M50 to the HFI-580 and then to the ESW9a. They kept getting worse and worse. None of them truly that terrible. I ended up with the k240, which I love.Quote:Originally Posted by pearlfact
I looked all over the place for a mention of these two cans together side by side in a single thread but i found nothin. They're in the same price range, both have fantastic sound qualities, and except for the fact the K242 HD's are over-ear compared to ESW9A on-ear classification they seem pretty head-to-head.. So am I the only one that's having trouble deciding between these two? (wouldn't be surprised.. since I just joined)post #3 of 311/22/10 at 9:42pmThread Starter
Wow thank you for such a clean, detailed and heart-full feedback.. I based the prices found on Amazon, it seems that ESW9A's are very under-priced and the K242 HD's are very over-priced according to what you've said,, shows how bad of a shopper i am haha
- AKG K242 HD vs, ATH-ESW9A a fair game?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 29 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › AUDEZE LCD XC 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 5 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 8 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 9 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 11 minutes ago
- › Hello World 11 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)