I looked all over the place for a mention of these two cans together side by side in a single thread but i found nothin. They're in the same price range, both have fantastic sound qualities, and except for the fact the K242 HD's are over-ear compared to ESW9A on-ear classification they seem pretty head-to-head.. So am I the only one that's having trouble deciding between these two? (wouldn't be surprised.. since I just joined)
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphones under ~200 for the highs of trance and the lows of dubstep. ( Can't find... Last post on 10/25/12 at 11:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Creative Aurvana Live!; Brainwavz HM5; Something else? Last post on 6/14/12 at 5:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The NEW AKG K550 First impressions. Added pics! Last post on 5/7/12 at 10:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations please Edit: bought HD25 and getting 1964-Q, I'm gonna be broke Last post on 1/18/12 at 1:40pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Suggestions about akg k242 hd Last post on 10/7/11 at 7:19am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/783163/brainwavz-kidwavz-kv100-review-by-mark2410 Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Brief: Kid...
This is the first Brainwavz S Series earphone I have heard. I must say, I was expecting a V shaped signature, not sure why, but I was wrong, very wrong… More on that soon. I give...
Preamble: Before I start with my review, I want to thank Fostex International and especially their German distribution Mega Audio (www.megaaudio.de) for getting the chance of auditioning the...
Read the others
The VSD5 is the next earphone to follow up on the successful release of the very popular VSD3/VSD3s. From afar the VSD5 looks eerily similar with their older/younger brother, the VSD3/VSD3s....
AKG K242 HD vs, ATH-ESW9A a fair game?post #1 of 311/22/10 at 9:03pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 311/22/10 at 9:33pm
Both of these are completely different from each other when it comes to the sound signatures. Kind of like comparing the SRH-750DJ to the AKG K701.
The K242 shouldn't be anywhere near the price of the ESW9a, but I guess it could be. The pricing of AKG stuff seems to be really screwed up and just plain bad in the USA at times. I'm not sure if you're in the USA or not. The k242 is basically almost the same as the k240 which is $99. Same drivers.
The K242 is a very neutral headphone, useful for studio monitoring I'd say. It won't do too much of anything and will have a very balanced sound. I've found my k240 to have a little extra bass though.
The ESW9a is headphone with just one of those "fun" sound signatures. I've found them way more bass heavy then I expected. Too bass heavy for me in fact. I also found the vocals were difficult to hear. The bass seemed to drown out the mids to my ears on some songs. It's totally not my sound signature, but some people seem to love it. They have gotten some good reviews in the portable forum. To me it's a headphone that doesn't sound as good as it looks. Sounded only as good as a $100 headphone to me.
It's funny I actually went from the M50 to the HFI-580 and then to the ESW9a. They kept getting worse and worse. None of them truly that terrible. I ended up with the k240, which I love.Quote:Originally Posted by pearlfact
I looked all over the place for a mention of these two cans together side by side in a single thread but i found nothin. They're in the same price range, both have fantastic sound qualities, and except for the fact the K242 HD's are over-ear compared to ESW9A on-ear classification they seem pretty head-to-head.. So am I the only one that's having trouble deciding between these two? (wouldn't be surprised.. since I just joined)post #3 of 311/22/10 at 9:42pmThread Starter
Wow thank you for such a clean, detailed and heart-full feedback.. I based the prices found on Amazon, it seems that ESW9A's are very under-priced and the K242 HD's are very over-priced according to what you've said,, shows how bad of a shopper i am haha
- AKG K242 HD vs, ATH-ESW9A a fair game?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Future Cincinnati Meet Interest Check 4 seconds ago
- › Where is THE SOUNDSTAGE ? HELP PLZ 9 seconds ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 13 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 31 seconds ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 41 seconds ago
- › Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go. 1 minute ago
- › Any word on a Louisville/Cincinatti/Indianapolis meet? 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 2 minutes ago
- › Headphone choice help 3 minutes ago
- › AT CKS77 or Yamaha EPH-100 or something else 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by mark2410
- › Brainwavz S3 by BloodyPenguin
- › Fostex TE-07 by HiFiChris
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by sirylj
- › VSONIC VSD5: Sony EX 1000's Adopted Cousin by Tom22
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by whitedragon551
- › Lenntek Sonix 3 w/ Microphone by Incognito101
- › SMSL SA-98 Flagship-level Top HIFI Digital Big Power Amplifier... by yay101
- › Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Portable NFC Bluetooth Speaker with... by Brooko
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by rasmushorn
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2