I looked all over the place for a mention of these two cans together side by side in a single thread but i found nothin. They're in the same price range, both have fantastic sound qualities, and except for the fact the K242 HD's are over-ear compared to ESW9A on-ear classification they seem pretty head-to-head.. So am I the only one that's having trouble deciding between these two? (wouldn't be surprised.. since I just joined)
Related Forum Threads
- Best headphones under ~200 for the highs of trance and the lows of dubstep. ( Can't find... Last post on 10/25/12 at 11:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Creative Aurvana Live!; Brainwavz HM5; Something else? Last post on 6/14/12 at 5:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The NEW AKG K550 First impressions. Added pics! Last post on 5/7/12 at 10:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations please Edit: bought HD25 and getting 1964-Q, I'm gonna be broke Last post on 1/18/12 at 1:40pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Suggestions about akg k242 hd Last post on 10/7/11 at 7:19am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
FiiO Mont Blanc for IEM When you pick up the Mont Blanc you feel like you have something substantial in your hand. Not that is is overly heavy, no, it is conveys the impression that this thing...
I borrowed these from a friend as a trial and I can see why he likes them, unfortunately I do not. Let me elaborate on this as it's no justification at all to dismiss these earphone because I...
My main review is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/752588/review-earwerkz-supra-the-universal-custom-in-ear-monitor. This will house the TL;DR version: From the comfort, custom-like fit,...
Couldn't find much on the internet about these, so I took the plunge. Pros: Nice aesthetics Solid build quality Cheaper than Bose equivalent, looks and feels nicer,...
I don't claim to be an expert audiophile. More of a wannabe. I do love finding under the radar headphones with good value. I can compare this to a few other bluetooth headsets I have spent some...
AKG K242 HD vs, ATH-ESW9A a fair game?post #1 of 311/22/10 at 9:03pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 311/22/10 at 9:33pm
Both of these are completely different from each other when it comes to the sound signatures. Kind of like comparing the SRH-750DJ to the AKG K701.
The K242 shouldn't be anywhere near the price of the ESW9a, but I guess it could be. The pricing of AKG stuff seems to be really screwed up and just plain bad in the USA at times. I'm not sure if you're in the USA or not. The k242 is basically almost the same as the k240 which is $99. Same drivers.
The K242 is a very neutral headphone, useful for studio monitoring I'd say. It won't do too much of anything and will have a very balanced sound. I've found my k240 to have a little extra bass though.
The ESW9a is headphone with just one of those "fun" sound signatures. I've found them way more bass heavy then I expected. Too bass heavy for me in fact. I also found the vocals were difficult to hear. The bass seemed to drown out the mids to my ears on some songs. It's totally not my sound signature, but some people seem to love it. They have gotten some good reviews in the portable forum. To me it's a headphone that doesn't sound as good as it looks. Sounded only as good as a $100 headphone to me.
It's funny I actually went from the M50 to the HFI-580 and then to the ESW9a. They kept getting worse and worse. None of them truly that terrible. I ended up with the k240, which I love.Quote:Originally Posted by pearlfact
I looked all over the place for a mention of these two cans together side by side in a single thread but i found nothin. They're in the same price range, both have fantastic sound qualities, and except for the fact the K242 HD's are over-ear compared to ESW9A on-ear classification they seem pretty head-to-head.. So am I the only one that's having trouble deciding between these two? (wouldn't be surprised.. since I just joined)post #3 of 311/22/10 at 9:42pmThread Starter
Wow thank you for such a clean, detailed and heart-full feedback.. I based the prices found on Amazon, it seems that ESW9A's are very under-priced and the K242 HD's are very over-priced according to what you've said,, shows how bad of a shopper i am haha
- AKG K242 HD vs, ATH-ESW9A a fair game?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma 13 seconds ago
- › Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x,... 25 seconds ago
- › Converting flac to wav 28 seconds ago
- › Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi... 31 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser vs Beyerdynamic 1 minute ago
- › New WESTONE W-SERIES 1 minute ago
- › replacing my DT-770 250ohms with what?!? 1 minute ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 1 minute ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction 1 minute ago
- › pupDAC Step-by-Step Build Thread 1 minute ago
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by jamato8
- › JVC HA-FX750 Wood Dome Unit Earphone by dnun8086
- › EarWerkz Supra by moedawg140
- › House of Marley - LEGEND ANC by White Lotus
- › Audio Technica S700BT by ironicinori
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by mark2410
- › DUNU DN-12 Trident by Ghoulcow
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)