I was assuming he meant digital out from PC via coax (RCA connectors).
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- looking for some information about DAC/Amp combis Last post on 8/23/12 at 4:26am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DAC/Amp under $200? (noob question) Last post on 5/26/12 at 8:21am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a Headphone Amp/DAC/Preamp in one... Last post on 5/24/11 at 8:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp/DAC recommendations for HD 650 Last post on 3/9/11 at 2:45am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of New Zealand tour arranged by @Brooko & @Andykong, thank you very much for including me in this tour :) Introduction I am just another music fans in this...
Ok so it is 2017 and I'm late to the party but I just got this headphone from Singapore Jaben because it seems they were clearing their stock. I got this for a whooping $34.90 SGD!! When I looked...
Have you ever felt like the spark that used to be there just vanished? That the world, once bright and colorful became bland and dull over time? That you no longer feel the joy, the excitement and...
Work in progress. I need to practice my English a bit...
Heard these with Chord Hugo and boy oh boy was I unimpressed... These are not worth anywhere their price point where their sound is concerned. Decently comfortable though. (The sound signature...
Audio-GD NFB-12 - Page 138post #2056 of 22747/12/12 at 3:12pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2057 of 22747/12/12 at 3:15pmQuote:
Well yeah, but from my experience, and such a short and not in depth post. A rather longer post clarifying things is better. I have truly dealt with people in other area's that I thought would get what I meant as it was a bit obvious(Cable A that says it fits into hole B) have left me in despair. I have had people trying to start up a computer that wasn't plugged in because I didn't tell them to plug it in, and people with no sound comming out of whatever because I didn't tell them to plug the cable back in when I told them to "test it out".
Just my 2cents realy.post #2058 of 22747/12/12 at 5:45pmpost #2059 of 22747/12/12 at 5:53pmQuote:
Ah - no unfortunately no line-in on the NFB-12.post #2060 of 22747/12/12 at 6:01pm
On the 12.1 looks like you can replace the coaxial or optical with a BNC connector. Is that a digital or analog input? I wonder if I could somehow feed an analog signal in there if I needed to? I don't need the option often, but it's nice to have.
post #2061 of 22747/12/12 at 6:05pmQuote:
There is no analog signal input, just digital through USB, COaxil or optical S/PDIFpost #2062 of 22747/12/12 at 6:06pmpost #2063 of 22747/12/12 at 9:05pmQuote:
It stays a digital input. SPDIF signals can be transferred trough just about any types of cables. TOSLINK, RCA, BNC, TRS, XLR, DB25... You could even use an Ethernet cable if you wanted to.
If you think the NNFB-12 lacks connectivity, check out AudioTrak's DR.DAC2 DX.post #2064 of 22747/13/12 at 6:59am
Thanks! Looking up the AudioTrak's DR.DAC2 DX also turned up the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11. One of these is probably more what I'm actually looking for.
Now back to the NFB-12.
post #2065 of 22747/16/12 at 6:44ampost #2066 of 22747/16/12 at 11:02ampost #2067 of 22747/17/12 at 3:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by KimLaroux
Well I hadn't thought of that. Asking technical information from a manufacturer and expecting an answer seems like an alien idea.
But it worked! I received an answer, telling me which resistors to change, to what value, and what the result will be.
There's 8 2202 surface mount resistors in a line of 16 resistors between the dual DACs and the dual relays. 2202 is 22k 1%. Changing these with 47k resistors will lower the gain by 7dB.
Here's the line of resistors in question.
The other 8 resistors are 5.6k. They alternate, so there's 22k, 5k6, 22k, 5k6... etc. I'm guessing the 5k6 are for the high gain and the 22k for the low gain. Edit : Just received an email confirming the 5k6 are for the high gain.
So now all I need are 8 47k resistors in 1206 package. Changing these will be quite a challenge.
I received the 47K resistors yesterday. They had very little variations for 5%. Finding 8 within 100R was not a problem.
The modification went well, it took me about 2 hours. I removed the capacitors around the resistors to give more place for my iron. I think half of the original resistors were damaged during their removal. For a first time with surface mount, I think the result was good. Sadly though I don't have a good camera, so no pictures.
I'm currently testing it, and I can't hear a difference in volume. It's still too loud. The pot has no useful range, as higher is too loud and lower has bad channel imbalance. I'll have to contact Kingwa again.
While I had the board in hands, I studied it to confirm what I said about the line out: it's connected to the output of the amplifier. As in, there is no difference between the RCA at the back and the TRS jack at the front. There's a relay that toggles between one or the other, and that's it. I always read that "double amping" is bad, but that's exactly what one does when using the NFB-12's line out.post #2068 of 22747/22/12 at 11:10amQuote:Originally Posted by KimLaroux
While I had the board in hands, I studied it to confirm what I said about the line out: it's connected to the output of the amplifier. As in, there is no difference between the RCA at the back and the TRS jack at the front. There's a relay that toggles between one or the other, and that's it. I always read that "double amping" is bad, but that's exactly what one does when using the NFB-12's line out.
Interesting information. Thanks!
Anyway, I'm not surprised neither reactive about that.
Many widely appreciated DACs use (lousy) opamps in the output stage to filter/amplify the signal...
At least in NFB-12 there are no caps on the path.
IMHO and according to my ears "double amping" is bad if the amp stages are bad
Edited by AF115 - 7/22/12 at 11:14ampost #2069 of 22747/23/12 at 2:33pmQuote:
BNC is an improved COAX connection. It's the same thing as a digital COAX except for that connector change with ensures the right impedance and has less jitter. Already answered but no it is not an analog connection (but I don't know why you don't see BNC more often)post #2070 of 22747/23/12 at 2:35pmQuote:
is that O2 plus the ODAC compared to the nfb12? just asking since the nfb-12 includes a lot more and has more features. Even if you combine the ODAC you're still missing the optical and coax connections the 12 has.
- Audio-GD NFB-12
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC) 27 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Can someone give me incontrovertible, empirical evidence that "burn... 5 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP Onkyo dp-s1 rubato/ Pioneer XDP-30R private 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 (Clear) 6 minutes ago
- › Advice on first major headphone purchase 9 minutes ago
- › New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player 12 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 12 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk 12 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Goldring DR150 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by themindfreak
- › Sparkos Labs SS3602 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear