- 633 Posts. Joined 6/2013
- Location: Near Boston
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-ESW10JPNtagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productJVC HP FX500tagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/11/11
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Portable closed-back headphones? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:26am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help on what headphone to buy.... Last post on 7/23/11 at 8:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- "Fun" Portable headphone recommendations. Last post on 5/27/11 at 9:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend closed headphones for around $450? Last post on 4/5/11 at 12:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- a900 vs esw9 vs es-10 Last post on 4/12/11 at 6:59am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
VIDEO REVIEW ALL REVIEWS ARE CREATED BY SOULSIKREVIEWS.COM AND MORE DETAILED REVIEW CAN BE FOUND ON THE WEBSITE INTRODUCTION We reviewed the VE Monk Plus recently and fell in love with it. The...
VIDEO REVIEW ALL REVIEW ARE DONE @ SOULSIKREVIEWS.COM and more insightful review can be found on our site. INTRODUCTION If you are on a budget then you are in for some good luck because...
First if I would like to thank Meze for including me in their review program. I did NOT receive these for free, like all other reviewers in the program I have been given a 1 week window to...
Intro Meze Headphones is a company with a simple philosophy; Motivation, Values, People. With a passion for art and music, achieved through patience and dedication, Meze design...
Initial & information from the Rock Jaw website: I happened across the Rock Jaw sponsor page listing the need to review their Resonate BA-Hybrid IEM. Not knowing much about either, I threw my...
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread - Page 36post #526 of 75112/5/13 at 4:43pmI would recommend Moon Audio or BTG. Drew at Moon did my DT 1350s with blue dragons and it came fantastic. Really opened the sound stage and extended the bass. I don't care about the haters of quality cables, they are worth it. Heard many good things about BTG as well, tends be be cheaper but very good workmanship.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #527 of 75112/5/13 at 5:07pmQuote:that's because Audio Technica was always in another league,
While most companies strove and stumbled on transparency and took a blind stab at a sonic signature...
Audio technica simply designed "musicality" ..post #528 of 75112/5/13 at 6:35pmpost #529 of 75112/6/13 at 3:41amQuote:
+truepost #530 of 75112/6/13 at 2:28pm
Bought a Schiit Vali not even thinking I would listen to the ATH-ESWNa on it. I gotta tell you though, I am pretty impressed by how they sound hooked into it. Really great (not boomy) bass thump and the mid-range we all love on these things seems even more syrupy good. For reasons that make no sense to me --- they sound a bit faster to me than normal as well. Better able to keep up and separate on fast music.post #531 of 75112/6/13 at 6:50pmQuote:
+2post #532 of 75112/6/13 at 9:55pm
First off, I must say thanks to everyone in this thread as I own a pair of ESW9a's because of it. I purchased this as I initially wanted a portable and work headphone but it ended up way too nice to take outside, especially in the winter.
Quote:Originally Posted by Wheelin Al
Bought a Schiit Vali not even thinking I would listen to the ATH-ESWNa on it. I gotta tell you though, I am pretty impressed by how they sound hooked into it. Really great (not boomy) bass thump and the mid-range we all love on these things seems even more syrupy good. For reasons that make no sense to me --- they sound a bit faster to me than normal as well. Better able to keep up and separate on fast music.
I have a Schiit Lyr and I hooked up my ESW9a's to them and I could barely touch the volume without it hitting crazy levels but for that tiny little bit I could turn it, it definitely had great bass thump but admittedly I am a loud listener so as I turned the volume I was worried about damaging the the drivers.
I did a search and has no one has hooked these up to a vintage receiver? Most vintage receivers share the same headphone amp section as the speaker amp where modern receivers generally use an op amp to drive the headphone output. Because of the large amount of power from the headphone out I purchased a vintage 1978 Pioneer SX-680 to drive my HE-4's but of course I had to try the ESW9a's.
The HE-4's paired with the SX-680 have extremely low clean hard hitting bass. These headphones are very well regarded in that area and one of its strengths. I plugged in the ESW9a's and wow, there is definitely more impact. This can be contributed to the closed design but I also believe due to the huge amount of power going through them. While the ESW9a's don't have the same attack, control or extension as the HE-4's bass the ESW9a's are no slouch. I wouldn't be surprised if they would be considered a basshead can. It actually reminded me of a Sennheiser IE8 with the bass port turned up a bit but cleaner and a full size version.
I don't want to ramble on more but thanks everyone,
ab111post #533 of 75112/8/13 at 5:59am
I've used my ESW9 (as well as many other cans) with a vintage Marantz 2225 receiver that I have in my bedroom. I've always been impressed by the quality of the headphone output in that Marantz. According to the schematic in the Marantz's service manual, the headphone output is indeed driven by the main amp section, just with some step down resistors in the path.post #534 of 75112/12/13 at 4:03amQuote:Originally Posted by Richsvt
I would recommend Moon Audio or BTG. Drew at Moon did my DT 1350s with blue dragons and it came fantastic. Really opened the sound stage and extended the bass. I don't care about the haters of quality cables, they are worth it. Heard many good things about BTG as well, tends be be cheaper but very good workmanship.
Cable haters are just closed minded.post #535 of 75112/12/13 at 7:57ampost #536 of 7511/5/14 at 1:30pm
Does anyone happen to have a spare esw9 driver, or can get ahold of one to sell to me ? Recently damaged the left driver on mine, and the parts distributor in Canada wants $65.50 for a driver, and I've seen people reporting it only cost them $40 for a replacement pair + shippingpost #537 of 7511/7/14 at 6:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by Eddie C
Does anyone happen to have a spare esw9 driver, or can get ahold of one to sell to me ? Recently damaged the left driver on mine, and the parts distributor in Canada wants $65.50 for a driver, and I've seen people reporting it only cost them $40 for a replacement pair + shipping
You can try and email Dave at the US distribution center. I've dealt with him a few times and it wouldn't hurt to ask if he'd ship to Canada. He only has ESW9a drivers, but they are the exact same. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org #538 of 7511/8/14 at 11:16pmpost #539 of 7511/10/14 at 7:31pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... just now
- › Westone UM PRO Series Thread 47 seconds ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 52 seconds ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB... 1 minute ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 1 minute ago
- › AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Best Sub-100$ CHINESE Brands EARPHONES Thread- Hidden Gems,... 1 minute ago
- › DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view 2 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 4 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones -... 5 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Meze 12 Classics by Bansaku
- › Rock Jaw Audio Resonate by ngoshawk
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by krenky
- › Final F4100 by jwbrent
- › Audio-Technica AT-PHA100 by Army-Firedawg
- › Noble Audio Katana by EZE99
- › AKG K 550 by Mink
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear