- 601 Posts. Joined 6/2013
- Location: Near Boston
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-ESW10JPNtagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productJVC HP FX500tagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/11/11
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Portable closed-back headphones? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:26am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help on what headphone to buy.... Last post on 7/23/11 at 8:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- "Fun" Portable headphone recommendations. Last post on 5/27/11 at 9:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend closed headphones for around $450? Last post on 4/5/11 at 12:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- a900 vs esw9 vs es-10 Last post on 4/12/11 at 6:59am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Even at their current $89 price, I consider the Klipsch R6s an excellent value. They are fundamentally honest about what you put into them. Although they reveal a great deal about each recording,...
With my head laid back, eyes closed, and feet tapping to the beat, I can’t help but be thankful for some of the audio equipment that I have. Thankfully, Justin Weber, owner of Ampsandsound,...
Acknowledgment It’s always a privilege to check out new gear in exchange for your honest opinion. Thanks, iFi, for letting me in on this particular party. I’ve been borrowing this unit...
Introduction I have recently had the good fortune to review 1More’s excellent Triple Driver 1001 In Ear Monitors and their MK802 Bluetooth full-sized headphone and was left extremely impressed...
As the rabbit hole of summit-fi in-ear monitors gets deeper and deeper, I find myself encountering the same issues over and over. Most of the high end multiple armature driver in-ear monitors in...
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread - Page 36post #526 of 74512/5/13 at 4:43pmI would recommend Moon Audio or BTG. Drew at Moon did my DT 1350s with blue dragons and it came fantastic. Really opened the sound stage and extended the bass. I don't care about the haters of quality cables, they are worth it. Heard many good things about BTG as well, tends be be cheaper but very good workmanship.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #527 of 74512/5/13 at 5:07pmQuote:that's because Audio Technica was always in another league,
While most companies strove and stumbled on transparency and took a blind stab at a sonic signature...
Audio technica simply designed "musicality" ..post #528 of 74512/5/13 at 6:35pmpost #529 of 74512/6/13 at 3:41amQuote:
+truepost #530 of 74512/6/13 at 2:28pm
Bought a Schiit Vali not even thinking I would listen to the ATH-ESWNa on it. I gotta tell you though, I am pretty impressed by how they sound hooked into it. Really great (not boomy) bass thump and the mid-range we all love on these things seems even more syrupy good. For reasons that make no sense to me --- they sound a bit faster to me than normal as well. Better able to keep up and separate on fast music.post #531 of 74512/6/13 at 6:50pmQuote:
+2post #532 of 74512/6/13 at 9:55pm
First off, I must say thanks to everyone in this thread as I own a pair of ESW9a's because of it. I purchased this as I initially wanted a portable and work headphone but it ended up way too nice to take outside, especially in the winter.
Quote:Originally Posted by Wheelin Al
Bought a Schiit Vali not even thinking I would listen to the ATH-ESWNa on it. I gotta tell you though, I am pretty impressed by how they sound hooked into it. Really great (not boomy) bass thump and the mid-range we all love on these things seems even more syrupy good. For reasons that make no sense to me --- they sound a bit faster to me than normal as well. Better able to keep up and separate on fast music.
I have a Schiit Lyr and I hooked up my ESW9a's to them and I could barely touch the volume without it hitting crazy levels but for that tiny little bit I could turn it, it definitely had great bass thump but admittedly I am a loud listener so as I turned the volume I was worried about damaging the the drivers.
I did a search and has no one has hooked these up to a vintage receiver? Most vintage receivers share the same headphone amp section as the speaker amp where modern receivers generally use an op amp to drive the headphone output. Because of the large amount of power from the headphone out I purchased a vintage 1978 Pioneer SX-680 to drive my HE-4's but of course I had to try the ESW9a's.
The HE-4's paired with the SX-680 have extremely low clean hard hitting bass. These headphones are very well regarded in that area and one of its strengths. I plugged in the ESW9a's and wow, there is definitely more impact. This can be contributed to the closed design but I also believe due to the huge amount of power going through them. While the ESW9a's don't have the same attack, control or extension as the HE-4's bass the ESW9a's are no slouch. I wouldn't be surprised if they would be considered a basshead can. It actually reminded me of a Sennheiser IE8 with the bass port turned up a bit but cleaner and a full size version.
I don't want to ramble on more but thanks everyone,
ab111post #533 of 74512/8/13 at 5:59am
I've used my ESW9 (as well as many other cans) with a vintage Marantz 2225 receiver that I have in my bedroom. I've always been impressed by the quality of the headphone output in that Marantz. According to the schematic in the Marantz's service manual, the headphone output is indeed driven by the main amp section, just with some step down resistors in the path.post #534 of 74512/12/13 at 4:03amQuote:Originally Posted by Richsvt
I would recommend Moon Audio or BTG. Drew at Moon did my DT 1350s with blue dragons and it came fantastic. Really opened the sound stage and extended the bass. I don't care about the haters of quality cables, they are worth it. Heard many good things about BTG as well, tends be be cheaper but very good workmanship.
Cable haters are just closed minded.post #535 of 74512/12/13 at 7:57ampost #536 of 7451/5/14 at 1:30pm
Does anyone happen to have a spare esw9 driver, or can get ahold of one to sell to me ? Recently damaged the left driver on mine, and the parts distributor in Canada wants $65.50 for a driver, and I've seen people reporting it only cost them $40 for a replacement pair + shippingpost #537 of 7451/7/14 at 6:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by Eddie C
Does anyone happen to have a spare esw9 driver, or can get ahold of one to sell to me ? Recently damaged the left driver on mine, and the parts distributor in Canada wants $65.50 for a driver, and I've seen people reporting it only cost them $40 for a replacement pair + shipping
You can try and email Dave at the US distribution center. I've dealt with him a few times and it wouldn't hurt to ask if he'd ship to Canada. He only has ESW9a drivers, but they are the exact same. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org #538 of 7451/8/14 at 11:16pmpost #539 of 7451/10/14 at 7:31pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 2 minutes ago
- › Lavricables Pure Silver lightning (Chord Hugo/Mojo) interconnect ... 4 minutes ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Trinity - Delta Hybrid Original 1st. Gen. earphones 7 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 7 minutes ago
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by Peddler
- › iFi Audio iEMatch Headphone Travel Accessory by Hisoundfi
- › Soundaware Esther by ambchang
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Hisoundfi
- › HiFiMAN Edition S by Aornic
- › Accutone Taurus by mark2410
- › Remax RM 305M Aluminum Earbud by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear