Are there any differences in sound quality and/or build?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-ESW10JPNtagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productJVC HP FX500tagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/11/11
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Portable closed-back headphones? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:26am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help on what headphone to buy.... Last post on 7/23/11 at 8:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- "Fun" Portable headphone recommendations. Last post on 5/27/11 at 9:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend closed headphones for around $450? Last post on 4/5/11 at 12:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- a900 vs esw9 vs es-10 Last post on 4/12/11 at 6:59am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These headphones are made for listening to modern extreme genres of loud brickwalled poor-quality metal. They smoothen out spikiness and make drums sound so powerful and quick as if your head was...
Greetings, We all know it's coming, whether we like it or not. The wireless wave is upon us. Pretty much every major earphone manufacturer has a wireless option, and there are countless others...
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread - Page 3post #31 of 7511/24/11 at 4:38am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 7512/8/11 at 5:00am
My understanding is that they're exactly the same.
BTW, I got my pair a week ago, and I'm very pleased. They're like a portable version of my ATH-W100s. Same honey-sweet midrange and really good bass texture. This is the "typical AT sound" I'm used to, since every AT headphone I've heard has a similar sound signature (W1000, W100, CK7, ESW9). I'll have access to my Earmax Pro next week so I can't to hook these up.post #33 of 7512/9/11 at 12:07amThread Starter
Between the ATH-ESW9 and the ATH-ESW9A, nil, zip, nada, null, void. The "A" designation is the Product term for those ESW9's slated for release in the Americas Region. Hence the A.post #34 of 7512/9/11 at 2:29ampost #35 of 7512/9/11 at 5:07ampost #36 of 7512/11/11 at 2:02pmpost #37 of 7512/12/11 at 5:58pmpost #38 of 7512/12/11 at 6:22pmpost #39 of 7512/12/11 at 9:32pm
Probably not the best for those styles. I think the "slowness" of these cans is overstated, but they don't have an aggressive edge. Modest Mouse works fine, but I wouldn't consider these ideal for anything much more energetic.
( I have a pair of ES-10s on order which should be good for that).post #40 of 7512/12/11 at 9:37pm
Well, I've been driving them through my tube amp at home, and although it helps it's not a tremendous improvement. Tighter bass and bigger soundstage, but not a quantum leap in SQ. Based on that, I'm not sure how much a portable amp would help.
They do sound damn lush though-- such a beautiful midrange!post #41 of 7512/12/11 at 10:00pm
I guess I'm a sucker for midrange. These phones sound very detailed to me while others may disagree, it reveals the details I like. I consider these phones as a portable HD650 that doesn't leak sound and doesn't need amping. :)post #42 of 7512/14/11 at 2:45amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by High_Q
I guess I'm a sucker for midrange. These phones sound very detailed to me while others may disagree, it reveals the details I like. I consider these phones as a portable HD650 that doesn't leak sound and doesn't need amping. :)
Very intriguing graphs. It proves to me that graphs are not the be all and end all of the Sound Rendering Equation. I can tell with my own eyes in this graph the ATH-ESW9(A) and HD650 should sound realy very similar, but in real life nothing could be farther than the truth. The HD650 are honky treblemonsters, and nowhere near as smooth as the ATH-ESW9(A).
I'm happy you're getting along with the set, though, and equally glad you've got some love for the senns. Theyre both rated as great sets.post #43 of 7512/18/11 at 7:55pm
So, uh... breakage problems I've been hearing about.
Would these do well in a backpack going through airports, then being stowed away under the seat in front of you on said plane for increments of 16 and 8 hours? It looks like these require quite a bit of care, and jostling around in a backpack full of console systems and books, I'm not getting the impression they'll hold up. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong.post #44 of 7512/18/11 at 9:18pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 34 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Bicycle-Fi! 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 1 minute ago
- › Sony/HTC/AKG/Blue/MISC Thread 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 2 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear