Are there any differences in sound quality and/or build?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productATH-ESW10JPNtagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productJVC HP FX500tagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/11/11
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Portable closed-back headphones? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:26am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help on what headphone to buy.... Last post on 7/23/11 at 8:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- "Fun" Portable headphone recommendations. Last post on 5/27/11 at 9:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend closed headphones for around $450? Last post on 4/5/11 at 12:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- a900 vs esw9 vs es-10 Last post on 4/12/11 at 6:59am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
INTRODUCTION Because I’ve been involved with some review samples with my Australian brethren in the last couple of years, I’ve had the chance to hear some IEMs I’ve been curious about in the...
The Little Dot line of headphone amps represent what is possible when a Chinese production amp doesn't cut corners on build quality and engineering. This amp has my vote as the best desktop hybrid...
My dac progression has been in the sub 1000.00 range and frankly I doubt I will ever exceed that mark further I find it hard to believe there is anything better in this price range. My musical...
Specifications: Driver: Titanium Diaphgram Dynamic Driver 13mm Sensitivity: 90+- 2dB Reproduction Frequency: 20Hz-30kHz Cable Length: 1.2m Plug: 3.5mm Stere Mini Weight: 18g Comes With: 1...
Hi guys, I spent several hours (more than 40 hours research) to find the best headphone for my budget (under AUD $200). I tried to read as many reviews (mainly the 1-2 stars) as I could to know...
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread - Page 3post #31 of 7011/24/11 at 4:38am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 7012/8/11 at 5:00am
My understanding is that they're exactly the same.
BTW, I got my pair a week ago, and I'm very pleased. They're like a portable version of my ATH-W100s. Same honey-sweet midrange and really good bass texture. This is the "typical AT sound" I'm used to, since every AT headphone I've heard has a similar sound signature (W1000, W100, CK7, ESW9). I'll have access to my Earmax Pro next week so I can't to hook these up.post #33 of 7012/9/11 at 12:07amThread Starter
Between the ATH-ESW9 and the ATH-ESW9A, nil, zip, nada, null, void. The "A" designation is the Product term for those ESW9's slated for release in the Americas Region. Hence the A.post #34 of 7012/9/11 at 2:29ampost #35 of 7012/9/11 at 5:07ampost #36 of 7012/11/11 at 2:02pmpost #37 of 7012/12/11 at 5:58pmpost #38 of 7012/12/11 at 6:22pmpost #39 of 7012/12/11 at 9:32pm
Probably not the best for those styles. I think the "slowness" of these cans is overstated, but they don't have an aggressive edge. Modest Mouse works fine, but I wouldn't consider these ideal for anything much more energetic.
( I have a pair of ES-10s on order which should be good for that).post #40 of 7012/12/11 at 9:37pm
Well, I've been driving them through my tube amp at home, and although it helps it's not a tremendous improvement. Tighter bass and bigger soundstage, but not a quantum leap in SQ. Based on that, I'm not sure how much a portable amp would help.
They do sound damn lush though-- such a beautiful midrange!post #41 of 7012/12/11 at 10:00pm
I guess I'm a sucker for midrange. These phones sound very detailed to me while others may disagree, it reveals the details I like. I consider these phones as a portable HD650 that doesn't leak sound and doesn't need amping. :)post #42 of 7012/14/11 at 2:45amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by High_Q
I guess I'm a sucker for midrange. These phones sound very detailed to me while others may disagree, it reveals the details I like. I consider these phones as a portable HD650 that doesn't leak sound and doesn't need amping. :)
Very intriguing graphs. It proves to me that graphs are not the be all and end all of the Sound Rendering Equation. I can tell with my own eyes in this graph the ATH-ESW9(A) and HD650 should sound realy very similar, but in real life nothing could be farther than the truth. The HD650 are honky treblemonsters, and nowhere near as smooth as the ATH-ESW9(A).
I'm happy you're getting along with the set, though, and equally glad you've got some love for the senns. Theyre both rated as great sets.post #43 of 7012/18/11 at 7:55pm
So, uh... breakage problems I've been hearing about.
Would these do well in a backpack going through airports, then being stowed away under the seat in front of you on said plane for increments of 16 and 8 hours? It looks like these require quite a bit of care, and jostling around in a backpack full of console systems and books, I'm not getting the impression they'll hold up. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong.post #44 of 7012/18/11 at 9:18pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Can listening to music way to much actually ruin ears in the long run? 13 seconds ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 22 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 24 seconds ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 1 minute ago
- › Equipment racks - yay or nay? 1 minute ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 1 minute ago
- › **Beresford Bushmaster mkii DAC/amp with two battery packs 1 minute ago
- › Meier Corda 2stepdance 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for mid-range priced (~200$) heavy-rock headphones for... 2 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . . . . dap FW... 2 minutes ago
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Brooko
- › Little Dot I+ by Zeejet
- › MHDT labs havana by joespride
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Dsnuts
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by Janos Kardos
- › Sony MDR-10RBT Bluetooth Headphone by Giogio
- › Bose SoundLink On-Ear Bluetooth Headphones - Black by Giogio
- › Harman Kardon BT by Giogio
- › Philips Fidelio M2BT by Giogio
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by cuiter23
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3