Are there any differences in sound quality and/or build?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productATH-ESW10JPNtagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productJVC HP FX500tagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/11/11
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Portable closed-back headphones? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:26am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help on what headphone to buy.... Last post on 7/23/11 at 8:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- "Fun" Portable headphone recommendations. Last post on 5/27/11 at 9:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend closed headphones for around $450? Last post on 4/5/11 at 12:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- a900 vs esw9 vs es-10 Last post on 4/12/11 at 6:59am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
When I listen to these Headphones I always think to Polygamy. That is because I am already in love for another Headphone but I am also attracted by these Liberate. They are not exactly my kind...
I actually have, believe it or not, two sets of the A8 earphones. I bought the first one at a B&O store; someone bought a car and the earphones came as a gift. He didn't care for them, so he gave...
I have tested all JBL BT Headphones. I am not even sure why. These are the ONLY one which is worth considering if you look for a good sound. But NOT for the actual price of $270, EVER. They...
If I would have to choose between these and the JBL E40, I would probably kill myself. But in case I am of particularly good mood I would choose these. They do not have much better SQ but have...
When I first reviewed these Headphones some time ago in Amazon, I did not yet tried so many BT Headphones. Somehow I like them more now, specially because their much cheaper price (actually...
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread - Page 3post #31 of 6991/24/11 at 4:38am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 6992/8/11 at 5:00am
My understanding is that they're exactly the same.
BTW, I got my pair a week ago, and I'm very pleased. They're like a portable version of my ATH-W100s. Same honey-sweet midrange and really good bass texture. This is the "typical AT sound" I'm used to, since every AT headphone I've heard has a similar sound signature (W1000, W100, CK7, ESW9). I'll have access to my Earmax Pro next week so I can't to hook these up.post #33 of 6992/9/11 at 12:07amThread Starter
Between the ATH-ESW9 and the ATH-ESW9A, nil, zip, nada, null, void. The "A" designation is the Product term for those ESW9's slated for release in the Americas Region. Hence the A.post #34 of 6992/9/11 at 2:29ampost #35 of 6992/9/11 at 5:07ampost #36 of 6992/11/11 at 2:02pmpost #37 of 6992/12/11 at 5:58pmpost #38 of 6992/12/11 at 6:22pmpost #39 of 6992/12/11 at 9:32pm
Probably not the best for those styles. I think the "slowness" of these cans is overstated, but they don't have an aggressive edge. Modest Mouse works fine, but I wouldn't consider these ideal for anything much more energetic.
( I have a pair of ES-10s on order which should be good for that).post #40 of 6992/12/11 at 9:37pm
Well, I've been driving them through my tube amp at home, and although it helps it's not a tremendous improvement. Tighter bass and bigger soundstage, but not a quantum leap in SQ. Based on that, I'm not sure how much a portable amp would help.
They do sound damn lush though-- such a beautiful midrange!post #41 of 6992/12/11 at 10:00pm
I guess I'm a sucker for midrange. These phones sound very detailed to me while others may disagree, it reveals the details I like. I consider these phones as a portable HD650 that doesn't leak sound and doesn't need amping. :)post #42 of 6992/14/11 at 2:45amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by High_Q
I guess I'm a sucker for midrange. These phones sound very detailed to me while others may disagree, it reveals the details I like. I consider these phones as a portable HD650 that doesn't leak sound and doesn't need amping. :)
Very intriguing graphs. It proves to me that graphs are not the be all and end all of the Sound Rendering Equation. I can tell with my own eyes in this graph the ATH-ESW9(A) and HD650 should sound realy very similar, but in real life nothing could be farther than the truth. The HD650 are honky treblemonsters, and nowhere near as smooth as the ATH-ESW9(A).
I'm happy you're getting along with the set, though, and equally glad you've got some love for the senns. Theyre both rated as great sets.post #43 of 6992/18/11 at 7:55pm
So, uh... breakage problems I've been hearing about.
Would these do well in a backpack going through airports, then being stowed away under the seat in front of you on said plane for increments of 16 and 8 hours? It looks like these require quite a bit of care, and jostling around in a backpack full of console systems and books, I'm not getting the impression they'll hold up. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong.post #44 of 6992/18/11 at 9:18pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Music Game IX 51 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 4 minutes ago
- › HD800, He560, K812 or other?.. 5 minutes ago
- › Closed headphones similar in sound to sennheiser 650 s 5 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 7 minutes ago
- › mixamp pro(2013) + FiiO e11k + sennheiser g4me one is it good for... 8 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 11 minutes ago
- › The House of Marley Liberate XL BT by Giogio
- › Bang & Olufsen A8 Earphones by fjhuerta
- › JBL Synchros 400BT Bluetooth Wireless On-Ear Stereo Headphones, Black by Giogio
- › JBL J56 BT Bluetooth Wireless On-Ear Stereo Headphone, Black by Giogio
- › Jabra REVO Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones - Retail Packaging... by Giogio
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by Rockthemboots
- › Samsung Level over by Giogio
- › JBL E50BT Black Premium Wireless Over-Ear Bluetooth Stereo... by Giogio
- › JBL E40BT Black High-Performance Wireless On-Ear Bluetooth Stereo... by Giogio
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by Giogio
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)