Just got my ATH-ESW9's today. All I can say is that they are even better than I expected. As many people have said the sound is really "warm", but I quite like. I don't other on-ears to compare it with but they are way better than my A700's even though they are half the size. I've also read some reviews saying the they aren't "quick" enough for electro etc although I've found this not to be the case. They do all genre's very well and I find their warm sound especially well suited to indie music such as Oh Mercy's new album. The only thing I find lacking is soundstage and a bit of detail in some classical music but I guess this should be expected since I listen to D5000's when at home. These phones's really aren't meant to be thrown around (wood and fairly thin plastic) but the build quality seems OK. I will give a more detailed review once they have 50+ hours on them.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productATH-ESW10JPNtagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productJVC HP FX500tagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/11/11
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Portable closed-back headphones? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:26am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help on what headphone to buy.... Last post on 7/23/11 at 8:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- "Fun" Portable headphone recommendations. Last post on 5/27/11 at 9:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend closed headphones for around $450? Last post on 4/5/11 at 12:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- a900 vs esw9 vs es-10 Last post on 4/12/11 at 6:59am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The short and simple of it is this is the best DAP for the price I have owned. I have used all the main stream players, (IPods, Zune, Creative Zen Player, etc) and I will never go back. Besides the...
I really like this headphone. I've been trying various headphones in this pricerange, and decided on this one. But maybe the Price is a bit too high, when comparing to the first Creative...
As I contemplated giving these a go, I became aware that there was one thing that I wasn't too thrilled about. No mic or controls. I am a person constantly on the go, so most of my listening...
Introduction - The HD 518's are the starter model in the Sennheiser's audiophile range. They are really VFM and a good starter audiophile headphone for people who are looking into going the...
I got these on a pawn shop deal, and wanted some cheap headphones that could deliver for what I was looking for. An all-arounder that provided clarity, good bass, nice treble, and handled all...
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Appreciation Thread - Page 6post #76 of 5335/5/11 at 9:45pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 5335/6/11 at 11:25am
Yeah I baby my ESW9's. Still have the dorky plastic that they shipped with stuck on the wood and cut around it. Im actually going to be putting an invisible shield over the wood in the coming weeks, something that's less obtrusive and will still let you admire the wood. That, and I also have the hard style case that AT put out for this form factor- the HPP5.post #78 of 5336/7/11 at 3:49ampost #79 of 5336/7/11 at 10:48ampost #80 of 5336/9/11 at 10:14pmpost #81 of 5336/14/11 at 8:29am
There is some authorized dealer has the ESW9 for $224.00 and some has them for $340.00. Maybe due to the ESW9 vs. ESW9A. What's up with the A ?
Please pardon for my laziness but I do not feel like Google search today.post #82 of 5336/14/11 at 10:14ampost #83 of 5336/14/11 at 11:05am
I've had my ESW9A's for a year & three months now (purchased from Beach Camera via Amazon storefront, I believe). These little guys still deliver for me. Very enjoyable to use & great for when I don't want IEMs sticking in my ears!!post #84 of 5336/14/11 at 10:37pm
I believe A is just for the America version. Originally, when they were first released you could only get them in Japan. I had to get mine from pricejapan.com - they have no A of course.post #85 of 5337/13/11 at 6:24pmQuote:
So Beach Camera sells legitimate ESW9A's? Amazon has them at $219 from Beach Camera right now and I'm either considering buying these or the HFI-580's ($100 cheaper).
post #86 of 5337/13/11 at 8:39pmpost #87 of 5337/13/11 at 9:13pmQuote:
They have similar formatted websites and I just Googled them to find out they [appear to be] similar based on buyers' experiences.
Being the ESW9 appreciation thread, how fragile are these headphones? I have read numerous people's experiences with their dreaded swivel hinge...maybe these headphones aren't meant for being worn out and about?
I just discovered today that my Skullcandy Hesh phones, which quite frankly aren't well built in the first place, broke at the base of the adjustable headband where its weakest point is.post #88 of 5337/13/11 at 9:36pm
For returns, in both websites, they give you the exact same address, for example.
I had mine for less than a year and always stored it in an HPP5 case when I wasn't using it, unless I was outside, then I'd just wear them around my neck when not listening to music. They don't seem as durable as HD25, but I think they will last very long if you care for them properly.post #89 of 5337/13/11 at 10:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Max
For returns, in both websites, they give you the exact same address, for example.
I had mine for less than a year and always stored it in an HPP5 case when I wasn't using it, unless I was outside, then I'd just wear them around my neck when not listening to music. They don't seem as durable as HD25, but I think they will last very long if you care for them properly.
Mhmm I see.
Do you think they would tend to break just from normal use? The Skullcandy's I have probably weren't meant for fatter heads since they kind of bulge outward when I have them on my head (which is probably why the headband broke).
Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Appreciation Thread
- Headphone Impedance
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 2 seconds ago
- › The Hobbit Movie Thread (and anything else related to Lord of the... 3 seconds ago
- › [REVIEW] Logitech UE9000 - Ultimate Ears HEADPHONES Released! The... 25 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 55 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › Comfortable Headphones for Indie/Dubstep 1 minute ago
- › Numbers,.... Male vs Female HeadFiers? 1 minute ago
- › The Best Portable Headphones EVER? (NOT A HELP/RECOMMENDATION THREAD) 1 minute ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 1 minute ago
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe