- 2,736 Posts. Joined 4/2013
- Location: Seattle, WA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productATH-ESW10JPNtagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productJVC HP FX500tagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/11/11
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Portable closed-back headphones? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:26am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help on what headphone to buy.... Last post on 7/23/11 at 8:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- "Fun" Portable headphone recommendations. Last post on 5/27/11 at 9:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend closed headphones for around $450? Last post on 4/5/11 at 12:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- a900 vs esw9 vs es-10 Last post on 4/12/11 at 6:59am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Hi guys, this is my first post and my first review, please consider too that I am not a native speaker, neither an audiophile. Right now I own a useless Fiio X3, its battery died and I have...
I'm not sure if this is the same model I got with my iPhone 4s or not. There have been tons of different models of these buds released for different i-devices. The ones that I received with my 4s...
I barely used them... got one pair and a few months later the left earpiece started cutting sound. The retail shop opened them and did a messy job, were working and then stopped. Got a 2nd pair,...
Wow...these cans seem to generate a lot of passion! Mr. Tech Agent's review below is a pretty tough act to follow, but I will try. 1st a quote from the literature that comes with the HD 650's:...
Final Audio Adagio III Quick Review Thanks to Hifiheadphones for the sample. Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/744122/final-audio-adagio-iii-review-by-mark2410 Brief: Oh god,...
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Appreciation Thread - Page 41post #601 of 6993/26/14 at 9:17pmThey come with a pleather carry bag if scratches are you main concern.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #602 of 6993/31/14 at 5:41pm
I can say that the ESW9 is a good pairing with the Schiit Vali. I'm using a 75ohm resistor adapter to get more volume movement otherwise it's too sensitive but the two together sound wise is fantastic. The Vali's closed soundstage doesn't seem to effect soundstage on the ESW9, whereas openback headphones seem to have been greatly reduced.
Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 3/31/14 at 5:45pmpost #603 of 6994/1/14 at 8:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by Jasonsdman
The AT-HPP5N from audiocubes.com seems like the best case for it although the price is a little high at $55 with shipping. I might wait and see if the headphones really need it when they arrive. I can't imagine it being that bad as quite a few of the AT headphones use the same design. I do try to take good care of my headphones though.
That case is no longer available per AT themselves.post #604 of 6994/4/14 at 4:56am
Finally got them in and listening to them right now. They look very classy and sound very good to my ears. Very strong bass. I think I'm not gonna need a case for them. The carry bag that came with it should be enough. I carry my laptop in my backpack along with the headphones so I'm usually careful with it. The comfort is typical of on-ears design, but definitely better than the German Maestro 8.5D that I had before. The clamping force is just right for my medium size head. I love the sound on them as they are so I'm not thinking about any modifications right now. I'll have to let them break in some and see if they need modifications later down the road.post #605 of 6994/4/14 at 5:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Jasonsdman
Finally got them in and listening to them right now. They look very classy and sound very good to my ears. Very strong bass. I think I'm not gonna need a case for them. The carry bag that came with it should be enough. I carry my laptop in my backpack along with the headphones so I'm usually careful with it. The comfort is typical of on-ears design, but definitely better than the German Maestro 8.5D that I had before. The clamping force is just right for my medium size head. I love the sound on them as they are so I'm not thinking about any modifications right now. I'll have to let them break in some and see if they need modifications later down the road.
Congratulations on your new ESW-9As. Yes, the sound improves with 100 hours or so on them. Have fun!post #606 of 6994/4/14 at 9:38pmpost #607 of 6994/4/14 at 10:44pm
Bias question since we are all owners of the ESW9 but... Anyone know why this headphone is so underrated? Is it the (original) price, Availability? Or is it possible that there is something better for the same price? Age?post #608 of 6994/4/14 at 11:07pmpost #609 of 6994/6/14 at 6:41ampost #610 of 6994/6/14 at 6:45am
Different not better, The ES700 is far more neutral than the ESW9's classic AT house sound. As as all rounder I'd say ES700. The ESW9 favours mids/vocals far more than anything else.
I know the RRP price it is a little misleading but now anyway they are pretty much the same pricepost #611 of 6994/6/14 at 9:04pmpost #612 of 6994/6/14 at 11:54pm
Alright, never heard of Stoned Jesus before, also never heard of "stoner rock", but after listening to that track & "I'm The Mountain", I am really digging it, and currently listening via M3+DT880, I'm thinking the bass will hit so much harder with my ESW9.post #613 of 6994/12/14 at 8:53pmQuote:
After listening to these for a little over a week, I also wonder why these aren't better known. To my ears, the ESW9 sound so much better than the Denon AH-D2000 in all areas, including bass. The bass quantity is a little less but better controlled than the D2000. The mid on ESW9 totally kills the D2000. My Denon will probably end up on the chopping block now.post #614 of 6994/12/14 at 9:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by Jasonsdman
After listening to these for a little over a week, I also wonder why these aren't better known. To my ears, the ESW9 sound so much better than the Denon AH-D2000 in all areas, including bass. The bass quantity is a little less but better controlled than the D2000. The mid on ESW9 totally kills the D2000. My Denon will probably end up on the chopping block now.
My belief about why the ESW-9s are not among the headphones that get a lot of posts these days is they simply are an old model (2007?) that was initially available only in Japan for about $550. Headphones are faddish, so a model that received a lot of attention is soon replaced by a newer model ... the exception being the top tiered headphones. Those who like AT Earsuit models lavish praise on the ESW-11LTD which can still be had for about $700.
I think for $190 or whatever Amazon is selling them for these days makes the ESW-9 one of the great hi-fi bargains out there. I absolutely adore mine and plan to permanently keep them in my collection.post #615 of 6994/13/14 at 9:39am
I can't agree more that the ESW9A's are the unsung hero of affordable mid-fi. The sound they provide, while not reference perfect, is just satisfying and musical. I find them very easy to listen to for long periods of time. If I had to pick one headphone from my collection to keep for all around use, it would probably be these AT's. Pretty amazing since I also own RS-1's, W1000X, JH13...
Which brings me to a sad update. I had my ESW9A recabled with Silver Dragon IEM cable. Nothing against that cable which I use with great benefit on my JH13's...but the new cable sucked the life out of my beloved ESW9A's. This was easy for me to compare as my son has a stock ESW9A for me to borrow.
In a lot of ways the recable provides textbook improvements. Bigger soundstage, tighter bass and improved treble sparkle. However the trade-off was a lean sound that seems more distant and less engaging mids. Frankly, I'm amazed at the difference...I've never heard a cable make SUCH a difference on a headphone. While I like some of the improvements, the loss of that full warm liquidy sound is a disappointment. I am working to get the headphone returned to its original state, or perhaps trying some type of other copper cable instead of one with a silver component.
If I had money to blow I would keep the silver cabled ESW9A around, if just to prove to cable skeptics that cables do, at least in certain circumstances, make a difference.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 10/15/2014:... 26 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 45 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP? ( updated on 7/11/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › About to buy first pair of IEMs - RHA MA750s 3 minutes ago
- › Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps 4 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by Arturoo123
- › Apple iPod Earphones Headphones for iPod Nano, Touch & Classic by GoldenGuy66
- › Shure SE215 by damianmb
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Willy 2 Streams
- › Final Audio Design Adagio III by mark2410
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)