Are there any differences in sound quality and/or build?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productATH-ESW10JPNtagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productJVC HP FX500tagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/11/11
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Portable closed-back headphones? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:26am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help on what headphone to buy.... Last post on 7/23/11 at 8:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- "Fun" Portable headphone recommendations. Last post on 5/27/11 at 9:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend closed headphones for around $450? Last post on 4/5/11 at 12:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- a900 vs esw9 vs es-10 Last post on 4/12/11 at 6:59am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Note: All of my listening impressions of the Stax SR-202 were done with a Stax SRM-313 amplifier, which was hooked up to an AMB y2 DAC via the RCA input with SKW JIB braided interconnects. For the...
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
I am going to keep this short. SOURCE: Cowon C2 320 Kbps Mp3 and Flac files. GOOD: - Fits my ear properly. I am sure, whatever i do, they won't fall off. - Isolation, is...
Welcome to another review , today we have the J46BT IEM by JBL I will have a video review linked to this review soon but ...that's the future , this IEM was quite interesting since its...
Nothing is perfect & these earbuds are certainly a compromise. None the less, they are not too bright, not too boomy, not too recessed, & not too expensive. The sound is overall rich & smooth;...
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Appreciation Thread - Page 3post #31 of 5801/24/11 at 4:38am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 5802/8/11 at 5:00am
My understanding is that they're exactly the same.
BTW, I got my pair a week ago, and I'm very pleased. They're like a portable version of my ATH-W100s. Same honey-sweet midrange and really good bass texture. This is the "typical AT sound" I'm used to, since every AT headphone I've heard has a similar sound signature (W1000, W100, CK7, ESW9). I'll have access to my Earmax Pro next week so I can't to hook these up.post #33 of 5802/9/11 at 12:07amThread Starter
Between the ATH-ESW9 and the ATH-ESW9A, nil, zip, nada, null, void. The "A" designation is the Product term for those ESW9's slated for release in the Americas Region. Hence the A.post #34 of 5802/9/11 at 2:29ampost #35 of 5802/9/11 at 5:07ampost #36 of 5802/11/11 at 2:02pmpost #37 of 5802/12/11 at 5:58pmpost #38 of 5802/12/11 at 6:22pmpost #39 of 5802/12/11 at 9:32pm
Probably not the best for those styles. I think the "slowness" of these cans is overstated, but they don't have an aggressive edge. Modest Mouse works fine, but I wouldn't consider these ideal for anything much more energetic.
( I have a pair of ES-10s on order which should be good for that).post #40 of 5802/12/11 at 9:37pm
Well, I've been driving them through my tube amp at home, and although it helps it's not a tremendous improvement. Tighter bass and bigger soundstage, but not a quantum leap in SQ. Based on that, I'm not sure how much a portable amp would help.
They do sound damn lush though-- such a beautiful midrange!post #41 of 5802/12/11 at 10:00pm
I guess I'm a sucker for midrange. These phones sound very detailed to me while others may disagree, it reveals the details I like. I consider these phones as a portable HD650 that doesn't leak sound and doesn't need amping. :)post #42 of 5802/14/11 at 2:45amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by High_Q
I guess I'm a sucker for midrange. These phones sound very detailed to me while others may disagree, it reveals the details I like. I consider these phones as a portable HD650 that doesn't leak sound and doesn't need amping. :)
Very intriguing graphs. It proves to me that graphs are not the be all and end all of the Sound Rendering Equation. I can tell with my own eyes in this graph the ATH-ESW9(A) and HD650 should sound realy very similar, but in real life nothing could be farther than the truth. The HD650 are honky treblemonsters, and nowhere near as smooth as the ATH-ESW9(A).
I'm happy you're getting along with the set, though, and equally glad you've got some love for the senns. Theyre both rated as great sets.post #43 of 5802/18/11 at 7:55pm
So, uh... breakage problems I've been hearing about.
Would these do well in a backpack going through airports, then being stowed away under the seat in front of you on said plane for increments of 16 and 8 hours? It looks like these require quite a bit of care, and jostling around in a backpack full of console systems and books, I'm not getting the impression they'll hold up. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong.post #44 of 5802/18/11 at 9:18pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 second ago
- › Upgrading huge library of low 128Kbps 3 seconds ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 56 seconds ago
- › The Basshead Club 1 minute ago
- › Shootout: 111 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Creative Aurvana Live!... 3 minutes ago
- › Is burn in real or placebo? 3 minutes ago
- › Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!! 4 minutes ago
- › IC: Melbourne Meet 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal! 4 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › Ferrari AAV-1LFH009K Cavallino T350 Over-Ear Headphones by ourfpshero
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by H20Fidelity
- › Asus Xonar DGX by SSSN
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude