Are there any differences in sound quality and/or build?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productATH-ESW10JPNtagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9Atagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
- productJVC HP FX500tagged by System, 12/2/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 2/11/11
- productSennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphonestagged by System, 2/11/11
Related Forum Threads
- Portable closed-back headphones? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:26am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help on what headphone to buy.... Last post on 7/23/11 at 8:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- "Fun" Portable headphone recommendations. Last post on 5/27/11 at 9:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommend closed headphones for around $450? Last post on 4/5/11 at 12:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- a900 vs esw9 vs es-10 Last post on 4/12/11 at 6:59am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First impressions When I first tried these headphones out of the box, I was a little disappointed at how the higher frequencies seemed to be more forward than the mids and bass. It wouldn't...
I was on the hunt for a well-made copper cable to complement my stock and third party cables for my Fitear IEMs when I came across Forza Audioworks. Good quality wire, ergonomics and aesthetics...
Edit1: Supposedly you have to burn this in for a while and you have to leave it on constantly to warm up or whatever according to the manual, but I wrote the review below after only about an hour...
The best phones I've tried so far. I tried some well-burnt-in beyerdynamic and others in similar price range in a store, and I have owned the 601 before. I also own closed cans, e.g. the K271, and...
First of all, a big THANK YOU to @svyr and @H20Fidelity for organising this Australian tour. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included in this...
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Appreciation Thread - Page 3post #31 of 6171/24/11 at 4:38am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 6172/8/11 at 5:00am
My understanding is that they're exactly the same.
BTW, I got my pair a week ago, and I'm very pleased. They're like a portable version of my ATH-W100s. Same honey-sweet midrange and really good bass texture. This is the "typical AT sound" I'm used to, since every AT headphone I've heard has a similar sound signature (W1000, W100, CK7, ESW9). I'll have access to my Earmax Pro next week so I can't to hook these up.post #33 of 6172/9/11 at 12:07amThread Starter
Between the ATH-ESW9 and the ATH-ESW9A, nil, zip, nada, null, void. The "A" designation is the Product term for those ESW9's slated for release in the Americas Region. Hence the A.post #34 of 6172/9/11 at 2:29ampost #35 of 6172/9/11 at 5:07ampost #36 of 6172/11/11 at 2:02pmpost #37 of 6172/12/11 at 5:58pmpost #38 of 6172/12/11 at 6:22pmpost #39 of 6172/12/11 at 9:32pm
Probably not the best for those styles. I think the "slowness" of these cans is overstated, but they don't have an aggressive edge. Modest Mouse works fine, but I wouldn't consider these ideal for anything much more energetic.
( I have a pair of ES-10s on order which should be good for that).post #40 of 6172/12/11 at 9:37pm
Well, I've been driving them through my tube amp at home, and although it helps it's not a tremendous improvement. Tighter bass and bigger soundstage, but not a quantum leap in SQ. Based on that, I'm not sure how much a portable amp would help.
They do sound damn lush though-- such a beautiful midrange!post #41 of 6172/12/11 at 10:00pm
I guess I'm a sucker for midrange. These phones sound very detailed to me while others may disagree, it reveals the details I like. I consider these phones as a portable HD650 that doesn't leak sound and doesn't need amping. :)post #42 of 6172/14/11 at 2:45amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by High_Q
I guess I'm a sucker for midrange. These phones sound very detailed to me while others may disagree, it reveals the details I like. I consider these phones as a portable HD650 that doesn't leak sound and doesn't need amping. :)
Very intriguing graphs. It proves to me that graphs are not the be all and end all of the Sound Rendering Equation. I can tell with my own eyes in this graph the ATH-ESW9(A) and HD650 should sound realy very similar, but in real life nothing could be farther than the truth. The HD650 are honky treblemonsters, and nowhere near as smooth as the ATH-ESW9(A).
I'm happy you're getting along with the set, though, and equally glad you've got some love for the senns. Theyre both rated as great sets.post #43 of 6172/18/11 at 7:55pm
So, uh... breakage problems I've been hearing about.
Would these do well in a backpack going through airports, then being stowed away under the seat in front of you on said plane for increments of 16 and 8 hours? It looks like these require quite a bit of care, and jostling around in a backpack full of console systems and books, I'm not getting the impression they'll hold up. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong.post #44 of 6172/18/11 at 9:18pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Official 2014 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 19, 2014, DoubleTree San... 12 seconds ago
- › Silver SR71b 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › **Schiit Vali/Modi stack** less than a month old 1 minute ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 1 minute ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 2 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 2 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by Ultramus
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Skullcandy Fix In Ear Headphone With 3 Button Remote - White / Chrome by killeraxemannic
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob