Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601 - Page 7

post #91 of 1379

When Sandisk created the Clip+, they didn't have that much concern for the SQ, if it's good enough, it's ok. Even battery life would matter more for them.

 

When HD created the Hifiman player, they only cared about the sound quality, and besides that, not a lot more. Apparently, there is more technology about sound quality in the player to make it sound better. You just don't understand the techniques, and you are attributing your inability to understand to something unproductive, and at the same time, derailing the thread.

 

I recommend listening to one before you say anything negative about the player. That curved plot itself means nothing, if you don't listen to one.

post #92 of 1379

Hey guys, this might be a stupid question, but what do they mean in the HM-601 specs when they say cannot be used as soundcard? Thanks smily_headphones1.gif

post #93 of 1379

It has no internal DAC function, unlike it's bigger brother the HM-602. 

post #94 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooss View Post

When Sandisk created the Clip+, they didn't have that much concern for the SQ, if it's good enough, it's ok. Even battery life would matter more for them.

 

When HD created the Hifiman player, they only cared about the sound quality, and besides that, not a lot more. Apparently, there is more technology about sound quality in the player to make it sound better. You just don't understand the techniques, and you are attributing your inability to understand to something unproductive, and at the same time, derailing the thread.

 

I recommend listening to one before you say anything negative about the player. That curved plot itself means nothing, if you don't listen to one.


X2

post #95 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Kid View Post

It has no internal DAC function, unlike it's bigger brother the HM-602. 


So basically you cannot use it strictly as a usb dac for example. Is that right? 

post #96 of 1379

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePio View Post

So basically you cannot use it strictly as a usb dac for example. Is that right? 


No USB DAC, correct. Just compare the players' USB connectivity in the picture. There are two for the 602, but only one for the 601.

post #97 of 1379

Hey guys, I have the IPOD connected to my HA5000 amp to my W5000's. Since the HA5000/W5000 benefit from a warmer sounding player, do you think the HM-601 would be a superior upgrade to the IPOD in terms of sound? Thanks, 

post #98 of 1379
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePio View Post

Hey guys, I have the IPOD connected to my HA5000 amp to my W5000's. Since the HA5000/W5000 benefit from a warmer sounding player, do you think the HM-601 would be a superior upgrade to the IPOD in terms of sound? Thanks, 



I think so.

post #99 of 1379

Agreed. The clip and Fuze are popular here because of decent audio performance for very low $$$ output. They are NOT stellar sound performers. What they do, however, that is above many other players, is use rockbox and have access to a lot of great audio features.

 

Now, the HM601 is a very FINE sounding player. With bright earphones, it is like a soothing balm. With overly warm earphones, it isn't my favourite player, but honestly, Head-Direct hit it with this one. The S:Flo had a similar low pass filter, but, it did it with the overall sharp signature found in iPods and Cowon players. What you get is a sharp sounding player with sudden softness. Head-Direct have done it right: the interface is not great, but it is WAAAAY better than S:Flo. THe battery life is similar. The ID3 support is way better.

 

The sound: hiss levels are similar, so very low. Overall, the HM601 is amazing.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooss View Post

When Sandisk created the Clip+, they didn't have that much concern for the SQ, if it's good enough, it's ok. Even battery life would matter more for them.

 

When HD created the Hifiman player, they only cared about the sound quality, and besides that, not a lot more. Apparently, there is more technology about sound quality in the player to make it sound better. You just don't understand the techniques, and you are attributing your inability to understand to something unproductive, and at the same time, derailing the thread.

 

I recommend listening to one before you say anything negative about the player. That curved plot itself means nothing, if you don't listen to one.

post #100 of 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Agreed. The clip and Fuze are popular here because of decent audio performance for very low $$$ output. They are NOT stellar sound performers. What they do, however, that is above many other players, is use rockbox and have access to a lot of great audio features.

 

Now, the HM601 is a very FINE sounding player. With bright earphones, it is like a soothing balm. With overly warm earphones, it isn't my favourite player, but honestly, Head-Direct hit it with this one. The S:Flo had a similar low pass filter, but, it did it with the overall sharp signature found in iPods and Cowon players. What you get is a sharp sounding player with sudden softness. Head-Direct have done it right: the interface is not great, but it is WAAAAY better than S:Flo. THe battery life is similar. The ID3 support is way better.

 

The sound: hiss levels are similar, so very low. Overall, the HM601 is amazing.



 


shigzeo,how is the hiss level of hm601 with jh13?how is the synergy?

 

also what is the battery life?i would hate to charge it every single day...

 

interested in this one as my touch headphone out is cutting out when wiggling the cable...

post #101 of 1379

Hello Mido.

 

The JH13Pro is a GOOD synergy with the HM601. Its strong lows and highs are great with it along with its slightly (read in comparison) recessed mids. Now, as to battery life, I've nothing good to report. The stock 2GB isn't enough if you want to go lossless, so you need to put an SD card into it. I bought an 8GB Sandisk (for next to nothing here) and it is great. Just update the files and go. All music integrates into the native finder of the player, but I think with the SD card, I get no more than 6-7 hours of music. I've certainly not gotten 8 hours.

 

Now the HPO construction quality could be better. It tends to grip headphones very loosely; at times they can pop in and out of their own accord. Also, it is plastic, not metal. I think Head-Direct could fix this and lend stronger grip to headphones.

 

For sound (minus the gapless) and minus the use with warm headphones, the HM601 is a great player. For battery life, it is a bugger. You can bring a mains adapter with you and plug it in to listen. I've detected no real rise in levels of hiss. Also, hiss IS more than iPod touch (of course that is pretty much lowest in industry right now other than the new iPod shuffle (next to nothing at all)), but it is MUCH less than any Sony, about the same if just a bit more than the S:Flo 2, and much much much less than the other Audiophile player every talked about: the AMP3 Pro1 and 2. 

 

It isn't dead black with IEMs, but with headphones and even the AT CK10, it is almost black. Great player, Mido, but frustrating in its format support, lack of gapless, and battery time. Worthy? Yes, most definitely.

post #102 of 1379

Shizgeo,

thanks for the detailed response,you convinced me yet again.i am contacting Fang to purchase one.

 

i honestly dont know what to do with the touch.i am using it only at home when working on my computer with my jh13 because of the headphone out problem that i am having.i love its cold analytical sound with my jh13 so we will see if the 601 can replace it.

 

nice to see you posting again shigzeo,i missed your iems and daps reviews...

post #103 of 1379

Why isn't the HM601 that great with warm headphones? Does that mean that my IE8 or Radius DDM wouldn't match it well =(

post #104 of 1379

The player is already warm, so a set of warm headphones may not complement it well, but maybe you like that combo. My bright ER4S headphones are a perfect match to the warm HM-601. With my SP5P, it is too dark for my tastes. With the HD650, it is again too dark. With turbines, again too damn dark.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymd View Post

Why isn't the HM601 that great with warm headphones? Does that mean that my IE8 or Radius DDM wouldn't match it well =(


Edited by DJGeorgeT - 11/26/10 at 12:57pm
post #105 of 1379

So I bought the combo today. There wasn't anything interesting for Black Friday and I'll see if a sdhc card is cheap on Cyber Monday. If not I'll buy the 16gb sdhc card I saw yesterday for around $25 shipped.

 

I don't have any dark earphones that I would want to use with the HM601 and my earphones do tend to be on the bright side so I think it should work out. Here's hoping this purchase isn't a disappointment :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601