I know it's not optimal using the HM-601 as source in your main system, but how does it perform when running from an external headphone amplifier? The reason for me asking, is that currently I use an Ipod>HA5000>W5000 since this seems like the best configuration to my ears, even better when I replaced my dedicated parasound dac with the IPOD, I know it's doesn't make any sense, but this only applies with the current configuration, any other setup it would sound better on the Parasound. I really look forward to testing this out, since my guess would be that the HM-601 provides even softer transients than the Ipod, injecting some warmth and body in the music, which would be nirvana with my current rig! Has anyone used the player in this manner? Cheers,
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Which Hifiman to get? Last post on 6/1/11 at 6:14pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Review: HiFiMAN HM-601 vs. Hisoundaudio Studio-I Last post on 4/7/11 at 9:10am in Portable Source Gear
- RE0 amped, RE-Zero, or DBA-02??? Last post on 8/7/10 at 6:09pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best neutral IEM for under $150 Last post on 7/30/10 at 4:51pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help upgrading...looking at DBA-02, GR07, ER-4S, RE262, etc... Last post on 3/25/13 at 7:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/23/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 5/29/13
This is the veteran ex-flagship model from FitEar／須山補聴器 before the Mitsuharu Harada series (MH335DW) was released recently. The C435 is a 4 way crossover configuration, 5 drivers (2 highs, 2 mids 1...
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601 - Page 14post #196 of 131212/3/10 at 2:46am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #197 of 131212/3/10 at 3:55am
I've not yet used the 601 as a source to an amp, but should spend some time this weekend with it in that configuration. However, for acoustic music, I tend to like the HM601 without amp even with DT880 600Ω.post #198 of 131212/3/10 at 10:49amQuote:
The HM601 presents acoustic type music superbly. The clarity of the HiFiMan, instrument separation and soundstage are ideal, but it is the mid focus that delivers that special vocal presentation which shines with acoustic music, with the guitar strings and finger licks resonating as they should, and the crisp attack of the cymbal rhythm and hit of the drums nicely balanced- it feels like they are performing in my room. I know it has been said before, but if this DAP measures badly then we are definitely measuring the wrong thing. For me the HM601 doesn't perform like a DAP at all, it sounds like a solid home system, it has a very "musical" and involving signature. Coloured sound it may be, but what a great colour.
EDIT: I am not implying that it has the power to drive non-efficient headphones, just that the sound signature is similar to a desk top rig.
Edited by Kernmac - 12/3/10 at 1:24pmpost #199 of 131212/3/10 at 11:20am
I tried using my DT990/600 cans with the 601, and as expected, it failed miserably. Just after the 3 on the volume dial, extremely heavy distortion kicked in. At least I know it's limit now.post #200 of 131212/3/10 at 12:49pm
Sorry mate, I forgot to reply and thank you earlier.
That's just what I wanted to hear and I'll be jumping aboard in a week or so.
Quote:Originally Posted by shigzeo
The SM3 and EM3Pro share some similarities, the EM3Pro having just a bit better treble echo. They are very nice with the 601, but then again, pretty laid back. I like them, but not as much as I like sharper sounding earphones like the ER4S and the CK10. Overall, only really warm and detail-less earphones don't mate well with the 601 and the SM3/EM3Pro are not those phones.
post #201 of 131212/3/10 at 1:20pmQuote:
I love my 602 but don't find it a stand alone solution for headphones. I think the Sflo2 might be a bit more powerful even. I prefer amping both, YMMV.post #202 of 131212/3/10 at 4:30pm
I got the AKG K-701 a few days ago for my HiFiMan 602, and it not only drives them to good and loud levels, but simply sounds gorgeous!
(The K-701 are 62 Ohms and 105 dB in sensitivity.)post #203 of 131212/3/10 at 5:10pmQuote:
Have you tried the 602 LO w/ a good amp? I'd love to hear your impressions vs. the good and loud HO.post #204 of 131212/3/10 at 5:37pm
I get NO distortion at all anywhere on the dial with the 601 or any of my sources. Even the shuffle 1G can drive the 600Ω Beyers easily. I have no idea why the 601 would fail your DT990.
post #205 of 131212/3/10 at 10:25pm
Regarding the Line Out: is it like ipods where the Dap volume control is disabled (so only the portable amp controls the volume)? I'm very interested in picking up a HM601 as a less portable alternative to my Touch......post #206 of 131212/3/10 at 11:03pmQuote:
Correctpost #207 of 131212/4/10 at 2:23amQuote:Originally Posted by AnaxilusQuote:
Have you tried the 602 LO w/ a good amp? I'd love to hear your impressions vs. the good and loud HO.
I don't have a headphone amp. One of the reasons I bought the HM-602 was that I wanted a all-in-one unit.
I might some time get a desktop amp for the headphones, but not one for portable use as long as the player has enough power and SQ.
A better (portable) amp will off course provide better sound, but from what I've read in the forums it's not going to be a big difference.
However I have listened a little on my stereo set through the line-out, and it is surprisingly good! (I did not do a direct comparison to my CD-player, but I am going to soon.)post #208 of 131212/4/10 at 3:17ampost #209 of 131212/4/10 at 3:34am
i just noticed that this thing has no gapless.completely unacceptable for a high end dap like this one.gapless is important to me because i listen mainly to trance and ambient on the move.
that combined with terrible battery life and the unhelpfull email i got from Mrs T broke the deal for me.
regardless of this,will the price drop after winter or what?i dont need the re-zero wheather it is good or not so will the price drop by $100 int the future?post #210 of 131212/4/10 at 3:41amThread Starter
The differences are very noticeable and not subtle at all. Which one sounds best will be completely up to you.
- REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › TEAC DS-H01 or Pure i20 ? Please help. 26 seconds ago
- › Schiit Magni + Modi combo WANT TO BUY 56 seconds ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-11.32 (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!! 3 minutes ago
- › JH16Pro customs vs Roxanne universals 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 4 minutes ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Watch-Fi Pictures Thread (No Talking Permitted) 5 minutes ago
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by TheLastDevil
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi