- 3,678 Posts. Joined 1/2008
- Location: Somewhere in the North Pole
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCEntrance DACminitagged by System, 12/8/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/8/10
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 1/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/8/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 3/15/11
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 3/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Powerful, underated amp: NJC Monitor II Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 5 gain B22 enough for he-6? Last post on 10/6/11 at 6:10pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- TubeMagic D1 - Enough to drive Ortho's? Last post on 9/19/11 at 2:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- M-Stage & MS II+ vs CEntrance Dacmini Last post on 12/8/11 at 5:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State that is as powerful as the Schiit Lyr and in the same price range? Last post on 5/22/12 at 2:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Mixcder ShareMe Pro, a Bluetooth headphone created with the aim of bringing listeners together. I was first introduced to...
Preamble: Before I begin with my review, I’d like to take the time to thank Jeongjae from DIGNIS for providing me with a sample of the LAETUS case for the Chord Electronics Mojo DAC-Amp...
Undoubtedly, one of the biggest influences on the audio market was the invention of the operational amplifiers. Compact and inexpensive (mostly) chips allowed to create small and well sounding...
The F7200 is a single balanced armature in ear moniter from the Japanese company Final. Final have been in business since 1974 and in my opinion make some retro looking IEM and full size...
CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread - Page 57post #841 of 136111/25/12 at 7:08amIs the Dacmini compatible with the new iPad4/iPad Mini/iPhone5 through the Lightning to USB cable ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #842 of 136111/26/12 at 10:41pmQuote:
If you use the "lightning to USB camera connection kit" between the DACmini and the iPad.post #843 of 13611/10/13 at 11:13pmpost #844 of 13611/26/13 at 9:25pm
My thoughts a bit about the Dacmini http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-please-post-your-impressions-loan-pair-for-uk-pg-28/2715#post_9087175post #845 of 13611/30/13 at 10:17am
Hey thanks for the kind words Zeinharis!
Also, anyone that is wondering how DACmini compares to audio-gd reference 10.2 DAC(more than twice the cost), heres a recent article that does a mini shootout:
"It’s abundantly clear why both companies have a formidable reputation amongst more seasoned head-fi-ers. I could live with either unit as daily headphone amplifier. Both handle AKG K-702s with aplomb – something you can’t say about many rival all-in-one units."
-Kennypost #846 of 13612/6/13 at 3:38pmpost #847 of 13612/7/13 at 2:03amQuote:
I've used the W4 with the DACmini many times, and it's a great match. I actually love the DACmini with most of my IEM, including Westone ES3X and ES5, and JH Audio JH13 and JH16.post #848 of 13612/7/13 at 3:58pm
Great! Do you have the 0 ohm headphone output impedance mod or the standard 10 ohm? I'm reading that 10ohm output impedance maybe too much for IEMs which causes loss of bass power and other stuff.post #849 of 13612/9/13 at 4:04am
biggest con for those looking to purchase a DACmini: There's a big big big chance you'll find yourself coming to this site less often ... yeah, that's a veiled pro, but I haven't felt the need to sell and upgrade at all since buying it. My D2000s sound fantastic on it.
The only thing I was thinking of ever adding were a set of open, more mid/high centric headphones to compliment my bassy Denon's (good bassy, not Dre bassy)post #850 of 13612/9/13 at 1:03pm
I auditioned a Dacmini against a Burson HA160D and a Burson HA160ds with a pair of Sennheiser HD 650. I much preffered the Dacmini. I compared the Dacmini against an Ray Samuels Sr71 with an Arcam Rdac. I also felt that the Dacmini was quite a bit better than that pairing. I will tell you now that there are sound differences from amp to amp and dac to dac. Then there are sound differnces between combinations and different headphones. I have enjoyed audio for many years and all these components can vary sound. I recently purchased a pair of LCD2 which I like a lot. I would have really liked to have heard the above amps with it. I felt like the Burson combo was way too bass heavy for my taste with the 650 and logic tells me I would probably have felt the same way with the lcd2 since it is not lacking in bass. I feel that the
dacmini and the LCD2 match up well. I believe in synergy between components.post #851 of 13612/9/13 at 8:59pmpost #852 of 13612/10/13 at 10:06amQuote:
Unless he has upgraded it since I last corresponded with him, Larry (HeadphoneAddict) is using the default DACmini CX, with 10-Ohm output impedance.Quote:
I'm using an LCD-2 rev.1 with a DACmini CX that has the 1-Ohm mod. I've never heard the 10-Ohm version, but I wanted to brighten the LCD-2, not make it darker or warmer than it is with a neutral amp like the Meier Stepdance.
I'll add that except for the Burson Soloist sounding a little bit warmer and just a tiny bit smoother in the highs, the DACmini CX with 1-Ohm mod sounds pretty much the same in every other trait. It even renders up a little more detail than the Soloist, but without being harsh or fatiguing. I'm talking about very subtle differences between these two amps - and don't forget, the DACmini CX includes a great DAC, for less money than the Soloist. Lastly, I'll add that with my LCD-2, the Soloist offers nothing extra in terms of headroom, dynamics, bass control, etc.
In short, in my opinion and many others', the DACmini CX can be considered the end of the journey for LCD-2 owners (and for LCD-3, in some peoples' opinion.)
(Listening to Ballad of a Runaway Horse, from Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat - The Songs of Leonard Cohen - 20th Anniversary 24k Gold Edition)post #853 of 13612/24/13 at 8:38pm
This is the last Amp I haven't tried that I'd like to. Any thoughts on how this would compare to a Tube/Solid State Hybrid Amp? I need a lot of oomph for my Orthos and I'm wondering how much power this thing has in the real World. It sounds like a wonderful Amp and the price isn't too bad. I especially like the small footprint. How is the Bass control with these?
Edited by bareyb - 2/25/13 at 12:39ampost #854 of 13612/25/13 at 12:40ampost #855 of 13612/25/13 at 6:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by Townyj
This is old news dude... :)
Ahhh yes i got the free shipping aswell! I forgot about that! Saved a fair amount :D
After listening to my HE-500's through this dac/amp i feel that i have definitely found the perfect sound ive been after! My gosh this little thing is quite amazing for such a small little piece. I cannot turn the volume knob past 2 oclock as its to loud. I must say the HE500s keep changing and gettting better and better. Great combo!
Man I hope you're right. I just ordered a set of HE500s and I bought the Dac Mini to drive them. I was very concerned that it isn't going to get loud enough, but from reading the thread it sounds like it will probably be okay with the 8 dB gain. It's nice to know they can up the gain if need be though...
Here's an odd question...
Would it be at all possible to run the "headphone out" from an E17 to the "headphone In" on the Dac Mini? I'd like to use the E17 as a preamp to take advantage of the Bass and Treble controls. Now before anyone jumps on me, this will be a rare occurrence. Most of the time it will be running from USB off my laptop. Just wondering if theoretically that would work. I hate the idea of using a software EQ and having to digitially process every single frequency except the bass. Why don't large Amps come with Bass boost? A user selectable gain control would be a huge plus too as I'm concerned about the power out put of the Dac Mini. I am returning an Icon HDP because it didn't have enough Ooomph. I hope the Dac Mini does better...
- CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Ampsandsound Kenzie/Mogwai Impressions 5 seconds ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 23 seconds ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 26 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Creative G5 discussion and reviews 2 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 2 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 3 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › ampsandsound Agartha Single-Ended Amplifier by Dillan
- › audio-technica ATH-A550Z Art-Monitor Headphones by rickyday
- › Advanced Sound by gprs007
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...