- 294 Posts. Joined 10/2001
- Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCEntrance DACminitagged by System, 12/8/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/8/10
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 1/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/8/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 3/15/11
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 3/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Powerful, underated amp: NJC Monitor II Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 5 gain B22 enough for he-6? Last post on 10/6/11 at 6:10pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- TubeMagic D1 - Enough to drive Ortho's? Last post on 9/19/11 at 2:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- M-Stage & MS II+ vs CEntrance Dacmini Last post on 12/8/11 at 5:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State that is as powerful as the Schiit Lyr and in the same price range? Last post on 5/22/12 at 2:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Mixcder ShareMe Pro, a Bluetooth headphone created with the aim of bringing listeners together. I was first introduced to...
Preamble: Before I begin with my review, I’d like to take the time to thank Jeongjae from DIGNIS for providing me with a sample of the LAETUS case for the Chord Electronics Mojo DAC-Amp...
CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread - Page 15post #211 of 13615/2/11 at 2:52amA $150 printer doesn't even come with a USB cable, and that is a worldwide standard. An IEC power cable is country specific, and costs a few dollars. Chances are you already have one laying around...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 13615/2/11 at 12:28pm
Sorry the IEC cable was not in your DACmini box. We do ship this cable INCLUDED with DACmini. Please send me a PM and we will either send one, or (I'm noticing you're also located in Chicago) I can even drop one off personally.
Again, our apologies.
Edited by Jay Listens - 5/2/11 at 12:34pmpost #213 of 13615/2/11 at 1:03pmQuote:
Hi Jay, I'm actually still waiting for my mini :) I was commenting on Townyj's comments, but as it appears he is in the UK I guess there's no issue.
LOL, I hope you don't work in product marketing or sales.
Edited by ert - 5/2/11 at 1:13pmpost #214 of 13615/4/11 at 4:53am
After a 5 week wait, they've finally arrived.
Worth the wait?
Build/finish- 4.5 stars.
Features- 4.5 stars
Sound- 5 stars
As a D/A converter, no difference to my Apogee gear. Except not just for OSX, but for Windows, Linux, Xbox 360, PS3, TV, PVR, Squeezebox, CD player...
Let the good times roll...post #215 of 13615/4/11 at 6:19am
After reading every post on every thread here (no, really...okay, not every post), I ordered a DACmini yesterday.
I already own a DACport and have been using it to drive my LCD-2s at my computer. I've also been using it as a DAC into an integrated amp and as a preamp into an amp. So impressed with its performance that I thought I'd spring for the mini so I can leave my DACport at my computer desk.
Initially, I was looking for a DAC/amp combo for USB/itunes headphone listening, but the functionality of the DACmini got me thinking (and spending!). I ended up ordering the variable output option and will be using the mini as a preamp to feed a gloriously refurbished Dynaco ST-70 driving a pair of Spica TC-50s. It will be my "New meets Old" system. I'll also use the optical or coax for my DVD and the analog in for my vinyl rig. And when the kids are doing homework or are in bed, I'll obviously resort to the LCDs.
I'll report back once I've received the DACmini and have given it a good listen, but I have to commend CEntrance on their prompt and detailed responses to my numerous questions over the last little while.post #216 of 13615/4/11 at 8:55amI too ordered the pre-amp version aka variable output mod. And so it is ultra flexible.
I've replaced a class A preamplifier and dac and headphone amplifier all with the one unit.
Of course I'd pay even more for selectable fixed/variable output, motorized remote volume control, updated form factor (fit current Mac mini), black finish, balanced in/outputs, 10 ins 10 outs, FireWire 800, preamps etc....but then... Hey, that's not a dac mini (and cost 5 times as much)post #217 of 13615/5/11 at 10:30pm
I just ordered a DACmini thanks to all the positive feedbacks and awsome respondiveness (not sure this word really exist, but it make sens to me ) of centrance guys.
A couple of question I was wondering.
-I think we could state that the Dacmini+audeze LCD2 is one of a great pair. Do you guys use aftermarket cables with your LCD2? And so, I guess that, depending of the aftermarket qualities, it does also impact the synergy of the dacmini+LCD2 in a amazing or not so great way. In so, could you guys share your thougt, impressions or advises. I'm aware there is a particular thread about aftermarket cable for this pair of can, but as I'm particulary interested in this amp/can combo, I think that is was the best way to post here.
-It seems that the design of the powersupply (internal part+external brick combo) is very special, and following the philosophy of pro-audio centrance compagny (polyvalance, adaptability, durability...). So it seems that the dacmini does not respond that much to power supply tweaks or upgrades (I know someone try the battery tweak but didn't find any particular change in the sonics). Did some of you try any further "real world" experiments (headphoneaddict, did you finaly try to plug your sigma11 psu in?) did some of you have the occasion to try different aftermarket cables from "decent quality" to "very high end"? Did you noticed any change/improuvement? Or did you all stick with a "3$ radioshack" one"? (and I'm not implying the one provided by centrance is a 3$ one I'm just quoting someone that made me laugh!)
-Did some of you have the occasion to try your dacmini with/without power conditionner? Did you noticed any change?
I'm kind og thinking that if, in some way, this unit can give initialy some frustration to the tweaking/optimising side of hifi rig builind, that aslo imply saving a lot of $$$ one side accessories.
looking forward to your comments.post #218 of 13615/6/11 at 6:22amAs it stands, I love the combo with the stock cables on the LCD-2 with the Dacmini. However, just made a purchase with Steve Eddy at Q-audio. He has some cables that are highly regarded by some veteran head-fiers on this site.
They are called black magic cables and there prices are great compared to other cable manufacturers. Also, Steve is a great guy who I don't mind giving my money to. He is very helpful and responsive. (the word you were looking for is responsiveness) I haven't received the cables yet since I live in South Korea but as soon as I get them I will let you know what I think. According to Kwkarth, Skylab ad HK_sends they are great cables and their opinions are highly regarded.
If you are curious about cables, PM Steve Eddy and he can give you some information about the cables or you can search Q-audio cables and probably learn about it that way. Good luck on your search.post #219 of 13615/6/11 at 7:34am
Pardon my obtuseness but can this be used purely as a DAC connected to a headphone amplifier? I've just ordered a DNA Sonett and am now venturing into the mind boggling world of DACs. There's so many of them it's overwhelming.
Edited by bumblingbooby - 5/6/11 at 7:36ampost #220 of 13615/6/11 at 8:04amQuote:
It can, yes, and one can choose if the line outs are controlled by the volume control or not, at the time of order.
post #221 of 13615/6/11 at 8:33am
thanks a lot ptrok for your wise advise, I just PM steve eddy.
my I ask your advise or fedbacks regarding the power related topic? are you using the standard power cord?
thank you all for keeping this thread and interested and inspireing onepost #222 of 13615/6/11 at 8:36am
Thank you kwkarth. I've only just commenced my search for a DAC. My preference is for a DAC only to team with the headphone amplifier and laptop to form a desktop audio system. The HRT II+ attracts me as a reasonably priced good quality DAC for this purpose but the DACmini appears very impressive at its price point. I also prefer that it has its own power supply.post #223 of 13615/6/11 at 12:08pmpost #224 of 13615/6/11 at 6:50pm
That would be ideal. Hopefully it will be cheaper than the DACmini, which exceeds the budget that I've set for a DAC. I'd prefer to keep the purchase of a DAC to around $500 if possible. I sent CEntrance an email enquiry last night so they might make mention of this in their reply. Thanks for the information songforyou.post #225 of 13615/7/11 at 10:18amQuote:
Hey Dookie, I wish I could help you out with the power supply issue but it is out of my ability sets. I'm a beginner and do not want to lead you astray. I can only comment on what I have read. From what I have seen, it seems that Centrance's does a good job of eliminating problems with power supply issues. But I can only comment on hearsay. I use the standard power supply and it sounds great with no sonic issues. It seems like a clean representation of how the music was intended to sound.
Please take my opinion with a grain of salt because I have no background in music or engineering. I'm just a lowly English Teacher with an expensive hobby...LOL.
Good luck with your search for answers.
- CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 31 seconds ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 1 minute ago
- › Geek Out V2+ Infinity (w/ free accessories) 6 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 6 minutes ago
- › Is AKG customer service always not helpful? 9 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 10 minutes ago
- › NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones 11 minutes ago
- › ZTE AXON 7-America's First HiFi Mobile Audio & Dolby ATMOS 11 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears Zeus Impressions Thread - World's First 14 Driver IEM 12 minutes ago
- › AKG's new K872? 13 minutes ago
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › ampsandsound Agartha Single-Ended Amplifier by Dillan
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...