Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread - Page 13

post #181 of 1135
Thanks for your inputs, Larry. Have you tried plugging your Sigma11 to the DACMini anyway? biggrin.gif
post #182 of 1135

K3CT, I deeply second your question, as it seems that power supply does not matter that much in the case of the DACmini. But what about real world tests???

 

Bay the way what do you guys think of the DAC mini dac side alone as I also intend to use in a livingroom speaker system? Thanks a lot in advance for your reply.

 

and last but not least, did anyone of you tried the audiophileo device with the DACmini. Centrance seems to already have "state of the art" usb implementation (by the way any recommandation for usb cable wireworld starlight?). On the case of the Anedio D1 dac that claim that every input sounds exactly the same, the audiophileo did make a difference...in the good way!!!

 

kindest regards.

 


Edited by dookie182 - 4/26/11 at 6:54am
post #183 of 1135


 

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post


"To be completely honest with you, the difference between 1 Ohm and 10 Ohm is so slight, it's almost imperceptible. However, we had done some extended evaluations and noticed that 10 Ohms may sound slightly more musical overall. The funny thing is that it's less "correct" from the engineering standpoint, but as is often with the arts, "precision" may not be the same as "pleasurable".

 

 

That seems like a rather ambiguous description of the difference especially when you consider, at least from how I understand it, that the higher output impedance may have a different effect depending on the phones used. It could have little to no effect with some or it could sound a bit better or possibly worse with others. Now something I couldn't get a handle on was how significant the difference between 1 and 10 ohms would be so, ambiguity aside, the difference may very well be slight.

 

I could be wrong on this so others more knowledgeable than I please correct me if necessary, at least from what I understand, due to their design the LCD-2's shouldn't be affected much, if at all, by a higher output impedance. My concern lies more with IEM's which typically can have low and widely varying impedance curves that would be more affected by the higher output impedance. After owning but having had to sell JH Audio 13Pro's due to fit problems and issues caused by TMJ, I know my Triple.Fi's aren't the last word in IEM's so I'll eventually be on the hunt for a universal that gets me closer to the performance of the 13Pro's, it's this search and not knowing where it will take me that influenced my desire for the output impedance to have as little influence on the sound as possible. Maybe in this case I was being overly cautious but not having a whole lot of knowledge on the subject I felt it was the safer route for me.

post #184 of 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post

That seems like a rather ambiguous description of the difference especially when you consider, at least from how I understand it, that the higher output impedance may have a different effect depending on the phones used. It could have little to no effect with some or it could sound a bit better or possibly worse with others. Now something I couldn't get a handle on was how significant the difference between 1 and 10 ohms would be so, ambiguity aside, the difference may very well be slight.

 

I could be wrong on this so others more knowledgeable than I please correct me if necessary, at least from what I understand, due to their design the LCD-2's shouldn't be affected much, if at all, by a higher output impedance. My concern lies more with IEM's which typically can have low and widely varying impedance curves that would be more affected by the higher output impedance. After owning but having had to sell JH Audio 13Pro's due to fit problems and issues caused by TMJ, I know my Triple.Fi's aren't the last word in IEM's so I'll eventually be on the hunt for a universal that gets me closer to the performance of the 13Pro's, it's this search and not knowing where it will take me that influenced my desire for the output impedance to have as little influence on the sound as possible. Maybe in this case I was being overly cautious but not having a whole lot of knowledge on the subject I felt it was the safer route for me.

So order the 1 ohm mod and then you can make your own 10 ohm adapter easily.  That way you can have both.
 

 

post #185 of 1135

Just received an email from Michael saying my modded DACmini was shipped out today cool.gif

 


Edited by pekingduck - 4/26/11 at 10:49pm
post #186 of 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post

Thanks for your inputs, Larry. Have you tried plugging your Sigma11 to the DACMini anyway? biggrin.gif


I'd want to verify my 15v S11 has the correct polarity first.

 

post #187 of 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post




I'd want to verify my 15v S11 has the correct polarity first.

 


Should be fine if the specifications in the Centrance site is correct.
post #188 of 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

I'd want to verify my 15v S11 has the correct polarity first.

 

Should be fine if the specifications in the Centrance site is correct.


Well, if you help me out and you swear that the polarity of the DACmini and HDP PSU is the same I'll try the Sigma 11 with the DACmini soon.  I'm just too tired to look it up right now (pretty sad).

post #189 of 1135

My DACmini arrived today. Packaging seems very well done and the build quality of the DACmini itself is outstanding. During the waiting period I started to wonder if I'd made the right choice, especially with all the initial positive feedback on the Lyr paired with the LCD-2's, although I've only had a short time to listen so far it seems those fears were unjustified. I started out listening to the LCD-2's and the combo put a smile on my face but I was curious how my Triple.Fi's would fare so I switched over to them and haven't been able to take them out, the DACmini is breathing new life into this old favorite.

 

So far I've only got one rather minor gripe, it seems the PSU comes with the plug to the DACmini attached but no power cord to go from the PSU to the wall. I assume this is standard because I bought a second PSU to take into work and it didn't come with one either. Not a big deal for me, I have a couple decent power cords and some standard issue ones floating about but thought it worth mentioning for those that might not have a spare one lying about.

post #190 of 1135

Wow... you used your Triple.fi's with it! I can hardly turn the volume up past 8 1/2 on the attenuator with my GR07's, even with my RE-262's. How low do you have the volume without channel inbalance..??

 

They dont ship power cords with the DACmini due to so many differences with Country power outlets. I got a piece of paper in mine that stated this. No biggy as i had a spare cord put away.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post

My DACmini arrived today. Packaging seems very well done and the build quality of the DACmini itself is outstanding. During the waiting period I started to wonder if I'd made the right choice, especially with all the initial positive feedback on the Lyr paired with the LCD-2's, although I've only had a short time to listen so far it seems those fears were unjustified. I started out listening to the LCD-2's and the combo put a smile on my face but I was curious how my Triple.Fi's would fare so I switched over to them and haven't been able to take them out, the DACmini is breathing new life into this old favorite.

 

So far I've only got one rather minor gripe, it seems the PSU comes with the plug to the DACmini attached but no power cord to go from the PSU to the wall. I assume this is standard because I bought a second PSU to take into work and it didn't come with one either. Not a big deal for me, I have a couple decent power cords and some standard issue ones floating about but thought it worth mentioning for those that might not have a spare one lying about.



 

 


Edited by Townyj - 4/27/11 at 5:50pm
post #191 of 1135


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townyj View Post

Wow... you used your Triple.fi's with it! I can hardly turn the volume up past 8 1/2 on the attenuator with my GR07's, even with my RE-262's. How low do you have the volume without channel inbalance..??

 

They dont ship power cords with the DACmini due to so many differences with Country power outlets. I got a piece of paper in mine that stated this. No biggy as i had a spare cord put away.

 


Ahhh yes, that makes sense.

 

Yeah, there's not a whole lot of usable volume, I was at about the same on the dial, between 8 and 8 1/2 but the channel imbalance is at an extremely low volume so there's enough in between there for it to be usable.

 

I had borrowed a friends Headroom Desktop Portable amp when I was looking at changing my system around and I found it was fairly reasonable to lug back and forth to work in my backpack so when I realized the DACmini had similar dimensions that became a big part of my decision to buy one. If the DACmini stays the plan is to use it both at home with the LCD-2's and at work with IEM's.

 

post #192 of 1135

Or you can just sell off your other gear... Keep the DACmini at home and buy a DACport for work with your iems ;) I might consider the DACport as a buy once i get my grubby hands on a laptop.

 

Sounds like you have the same volume range as myself, anything higher then 9 with IEM's on the DACmini is way to loud. Hope your enjoying your new toy!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post


 


Ahhh yes, that makes sense.

 

Yeah, there's not a whole lot of usable volume, I was at about the same on the dial, between 8 and 8 1/2 but the channel imbalance is at an extremely low volume so there's enough in between there for it to be usable.

 

I had borrowed a friends Headroom Desktop Portable amp when I was looking at changing my system around and I found it was fairly reasonable to lug back and forth to work in my backpack so when I realized the DACmini had similar dimensions that became a big part of my decision to buy one. If the DACmini stays the plan is to use it both at home with the LCD-2's and at work with IEM's.

 



 

post #193 of 1135

I see you own the Gilmore Lite, how does the mini fare against that?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post

My DACmini arrived today. Packaging seems very well done and the build quality of the DACmini itself is outstanding. During the waiting period I started to wonder if I'd made the right choice, especially with all the initial positive feedback on the Lyr paired with the LCD-2's, although I've only had a short time to listen so far it seems those fears were unjustified. I started out listening to the LCD-2's and the combo put a smile on my face but I was curious how my Triple.Fi's would fare so I switched over to them and haven't been able to take them out, the DACmini is breathing new life into this old favorite.

 

So far I've only got one rather minor gripe, it seems the PSU comes with the plug to the DACmini attached but no power cord to go from the PSU to the wall. I assume this is standard because I bought a second PSU to take into work and it didn't come with one either. Not a big deal for me, I have a couple decent power cords and some standard issue ones floating about but thought it worth mentioning for those that might not have a spare one lying about.



 

post #194 of 1135


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townyj View Post

Or you can just sell off your other gear...

 

Actually, selling off my other gear is the idea but those funds will have to go on my CC as it's taken quite a hit recently.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekingduck View Post

I see you own the Gilmore Lite, how does the mini fare against that?


Actually I sold the Lite about a month back to help finance the DACmini so I can't directly compare. I was using the Lite with my Pico DAC and personally I didn't really like the pairing with the LCD-2's that much.

 


Edited by elnero - 4/27/11 at 7:29pm
post #195 of 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post




Well, if you help me out and you swear that the polarity of the DACmini and HDP PSU is the same I'll try the Sigma 11 with the DACmini soon.  I'm just too tired to look it up right now (pretty sad).


It should work but if you want to make sure, you can check whether the polarity symbol in the DACMini matches with the one in HDP or not. The DACMini's DC supply is a pretty standard affair though. 

 

DACmini-white-back.jpg

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread