And the Linear is nearly twice the price, with fewer connectivity options.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCEntrance DACminitagged by System, 12/8/10
- categoryDesktop Ampstagged by System, 12/8/10
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 1/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 12/8/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 3/15/11
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 3/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Powerful, underated amp: NJC Monitor II Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 5 gain B22 enough for he-6? Last post on 10/6/11 at 6:10pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- TubeMagic D1 - Enough to drive Ortho's? Last post on 9/19/11 at 2:42pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- M-Stage & MS II+ vs CEntrance Dacmini Last post on 12/8/11 at 5:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Solid State that is as powerful as the Schiit Lyr and in the same price range? Last post on 5/22/12 at 2:17am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread - Page 75post #1111 of 13787/5/14 at 1:47pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1112 of 13787/6/14 at 12:34ampost #1113 of 13787/11/14 at 1:44pm
Just agreed to purchase a dacmini cx, anxious to hear it, my previous dac experience has been audio gd 11.32, schiit Bifrost uber, and california audio labs alpha 16 bit...............I have been searching the net for weeks now daily every hour or so and finally settled on the centrance for a couple reasons
I liked the features of the centrance, stereophile has considered the centrance class A product for 3 years running, I keep hearing tubes used in the description of sound
I own a dedicated Tube headphone amp, and truly plan t use the centrance as a dediicated dac but I love the idea that I can use a battery to power this on the go if I need to and have an amp and dac in 1 unit
I would really like to hear anyones opinion of comparisons between the uber bifrost and the dac mini cxpost #1114 of 13787/11/14 at 2:58pmpost #1115 of 13787/11/14 at 3:12pmpost #1116 of 13787/11/14 at 3:14pm
While I haven't compared the Dacmini to the Bifrost(v1) directly, going from memory I liked the tonality of the Dacmini more. Granted, I've always found something slightly off in the tone of Schiit gear (not wrong, but doesn't quite jive with me), and again this is from memory so take with a heaping pile of salt.post #1117 of 13787/12/14 at 11:12pm
Yeah, wont sell mine!
I haven't touched my balanced Stello DA-100 and maxed WA6 in almost a year, so I decided I should sell them soon. They are great but waiting for the WA6 to warm up when I only have 20 minutes to listen is a pain, and while fantastic with the HD600, HD800, and D7000 or HF-2, I absolutely love the DACmini with my LCD-2 and HE-560.
All I use lately in my bedroom rig is my DACmini and HiFI-M8, and I'll never give those up. In my main rig in the family room I use my PS Audio Perfectwave DAC II with an Eddie Current ZDT, EF6, and KGBH stat amps. In my basement rig I have the Nuforce DAC-100 and HAP-100. That's really all I need, and makes me wonder why I need dozens of DACs and amps all around the house anymore.post #1118 of 13787/12/14 at 11:50pmQuote:
Because we have this compulsion... this sickness that makes us acquire more and more gear
I've been terribly contemplating an M8 to serve as dac for my Nuforce HA-200 monos. Any chance you've heard that combo?post #1119 of 13787/13/14 at 3:36amQuote:Originally Posted by Armaegis
While I haven't compared the Dacmini to the Bifrost(v1) directly, going from memory I liked the tonality of the Dacmini more. Granted, I've always found something slightly off in the tone of Schiit gear (not wrong, but doesn't quite jive with me), and again this is from memory so take with a heaping pile of salt.
Thanks for the comparisons, I was kind of curious because they both use an AKM chip (different versions of the chips) and so was wondering if the would be somewhat close in signature
will find out soon I guesspost #1120 of 13787/17/14 at 6:44pmpost #1121 of 13787/17/14 at 10:01pmpost #1122 of 13787/18/14 at 6:40am
I hate to chime in on bad news, but my volume know has no "play" in it, either.
The good news is that CEntrance surely has among the best customer service out there.post #1123 of 13787/18/14 at 6:52amThanks for the feedback guys, I'll contact centrance about this.
Problem solved, opened the case and tightened the two hex screws securing the volume knob to the pot's spindle. Solid as a rock now and tracking has a nice resisted feel.
Edited by fallingreason - 7/18/14 at 3:42pmpost #1124 of 13787/23/14 at 12:52pm
My mini showed up today, I am about 1 hour in as a stand alone unit.................i am impressed with it so far, not blown away mind you, it sounds great as a stand alone. The amp signature is surprising I always expect a bit of high etch / grain with SS. so far I dont feel that here
The dac is pretty comparable with the Bifrost uber, as they both use AKM I was actually hoping this would be the case........................This is TONS AHEAD OF AUDIO GD 11.32, the amp is much better and the software is a no brainer, i also found the saber a tad bright / thin
this evening I will pare it with the Kenzie tube amp and see if it improves, frankly right now I am feeling I could live with the dac mini and he500 just finepost #1125 of 13787/23/14 at 2:32pm
Ok I have an issue
I want to hook this up so I can use it as a stand alone or as a dac only, this way I can go back and forth between amps, (tube and built in) what I am doing is hook up rca from the output to my external amp (external amp is off), plug headphones into the mini I get a nasty hum, pull the rca the hum goes away.
Plug phones into external amp power it on and I get no hum from the phones
I dont want and dont expect to have to plug in and remove RCA cables everytime I want to use externals
any ideas ???????
- CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Band Name Game II 4 seconds ago
- › Charleston Cable Company Headphone Cables and Interconnects 32 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Headphone upgrade conflict (HD800 --- HD800S) 2 minutes ago
- › Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016. 3 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Nova 3 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 3 minutes ago
- › RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features 3 minutes ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear