Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread - Page 8

post #106 of 1193

It's an kick ass deal especially for us international head-fi'ers!! darthsmile.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townyj View Post

No no when you get to the checkout is says Free Shipping Promo! So i saved myself $44 on shipping! Which is pretty good imo!

 



 



 

post #107 of 1193

Im not sure if its in this thread. But i came across a post where the boys from CEntrance mentioned, actually go through and do a lot of testing with there Volume Controls. About 1 in 4 pass the channel balance/tracking. So far i havent heard anything bad at all.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang View Post




How's the low volume tracking and just how low can you get the volume compared to the HDP and uDac2?

 



 


Tell me about it! Being in Australia is a definite plus! Our exchange rate is ridiculous right now so i jumped on the deal :)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekingduck View Post

It's an kick ass deal especially for us international head-fi'ers!! darthsmile.gif
 



 



 

post #108 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townyj View Post

Im not sure if its in this thread. But i came across a post where the boys from CEntrance mentioned, actually go through and do a lot of testing with there Volume Controls. About 1 in 4 pass the channel balance/tracking. So far i havent heard anything bad at all.

 



 


Tell me about it! Being in Australia is a definite plus! Our exchange rate is ridiculous right now so i jumped on the deal :)
 



 


Yeah, i took the opportunity to order the DACport that came with free international shipping as well. It was sent on Fedex and arrived down under in 4 days. biggrin.gif

post #109 of 1193

eek.gif

 

4 Days!! Wow!!! Ive been looking at the dacport! Maybe if i get a laptop or Netbook sometime down the track!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumpler View Post




Yeah, i took the opportunity to order the DACport that came with free international shipping as well. It was sent on Fedex and arrived down under in 4 days. biggrin.gif



 

post #110 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwang View Post




How's the low volume tracking and just how low can you get the volume compared to the HDP and uDac2?

 


The low volume tracking is excellent, and I can go much much lower than with the HDP or uDAC-2.  The best volume knobs I've had are on my DACmini, ZDT, WA6, HR Micro Amp, Meier Headfive desktop amp, and RSA SR-71b.  Amphora doesn't count because it's a Goldpoint stepped attenuator.

 

I should note that with your very sensitive ears you will likely hear the quiet background hiss with your IEM.  For me I can barely notice it except with my ES3X, and even then it's 3-4x quieter than my Amphora.


Edited by HeadphoneAddict - 3/29/11 at 11:15pm
post #111 of 1193

Only in soundstage which is better HDP or dac mini ?

post #112 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post




The low volume tracking is excellent, and I can go much much lower than with the HDP or uDAC-2.  The best volume knobs I've had are on my DACmini, ZDT, WA6, HR Micro Amp, Meier Headfive desktop amp, and RSA SR-71b.  Amphora doesn't count because it's a Goldpoint stepped attenuator.

 

I should note that with your very sensitive ears you will likely hear the quiet background hiss with your IEM.  For me I can barely notice it except with my ES3X, and even then it's 3-4x quieter than my Amphora.




The Pico Slim you have doesn't fall under the list as having one of the best volume knobs? 

 

So I guess that means the Dacmini does hiss, would you say it's on the level of the HDP, uDac2, or somewhere in between?

 

Thanks!

post #113 of 1193

IMO, there is NO comparison between the DACMini and the NuForce products.  They are in different worlds.

post #114 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwang View Post


 

So I guess that means the Dacmini does hiss, would you say it's on the level of the HDP, uDac2, or somewhere in between?

 

Thanks!


Sorry to be so defensive, but we have yet to have a single customer complain of a hiss issue. Bcwang, have you tried the DACmini yourself or is this simply an "educated guess"?

 

Again we REALLY value the input from this community and I am just trying to understand if there is the potential for hiss on our products under certain circumstances.

 

@kwkarth

Thanks again for all the kind words we really do appreciate it

 

Again, if anyone has any comments or questions, I am here to answer them so please feel free to contact me!!!

gs1000.gif


Edited by Jay Listens - 3/30/11 at 2:33pm
post #115 of 1193


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Listens View Post


Sorry to be so defensive, but we have yet to have a single customer complain of a hiss issue. Bcwang, have you tried the DACmini yourself or is this simply an "educated guess"?

 


I believe he was responding to HeadphoneAddict's post in which he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

 

 

I should note that with your very sensitive ears you will likely hear the quiet background hiss with your IEM.  For me I can barely notice it except with my ES3X, and even then it's 3-4x quieter than my Amphora.


 

 

post #116 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post

IMO, there is NO comparison between the DACMini and the NuForce products.  They are in different worlds.


Agreed! smily_headphones1.gif

post #117 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Listens View Post




Sorry to be so defensive, but we have yet to have a single customer complain of a hiss issue. Bcwang, have you tried the DACmini yourself or is this simply an "educated guess"?

 

Again we REALLY value the input from this community and I am just trying to understand if there is the potential for hiss on our products under certain circumstances.

 

@kwkarth

Thanks again for all the kind words we really do appreciate it

 

Again, if anyone has any comments or questions, I am here to answer them so please feel free to contact me!!!

gs1000.gif




You are right, I have never heard it.  I only made an educated guess based on HeadphoneAddict's comment which I understood as: he can hear a slight hiss out of it.  Based on our past experiences, if he can hear the slightest hiss out of an amp with his headphones, when I'm using the se530 I will hear a very loud and unmistakable hiss that can be identified in the loudest of environments.  Sure, the only way to know for sure is to try it, but these aren't exactly available at your local dealer. 

 

 

post #118 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwang View Post

You are right, I have never heard it.  I only made an educated guess based on HeadphoneAddict's comment which I understood as: he can hear a slight hiss out of it.  Based on our past experiences, if he can hear the slightest hiss out of an amp with his headphones, when I'm using the se530 I will hear a very loud and unmistakable hiss that can be identified in the loudest of environments.  Sure, the only way to know for sure is to try it, but these aren't exactly available at your local dealer.


Depends upon who your dealer is.  We're lucky to live in StumpTown and our local dealer does carry Centrance products.  Woot!

post #119 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post




Depends upon who your dealer is.  We're lucky to live in StumpTown and our local dealer does carry Centrance products.  Woot!


But do they have the "out of stock" DacMini?   If they do, those people waiting for their online orders won't be happy there are units sitting on dealer shelves! smile.gif

 

post #120 of 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by veracocha View Post

Only in soundstage which is better HDP or dac mini ?


The DACmini is more spacious sounding like my WA6, although I would not call the HDP closed in or anything - it doesn't seem to get as wide when using the stock PSU.  The HDP is maybe a little more forward at times, while my Amphora has a little deeper stage vs the DACmini.  With the Sigma11 PSU the HDP gets closer to the DACmini with a more holographic sound that becomes more transparent, but not quite to that level.  If you already had a HDP then a S11 PSU upgrade is likely worth it, but if you didn't then going directly to a DACmini makes more sense than picking up the HDP with an S11 PSU for a similar price.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwang View Post

The Pico Slim you have doesn't fall under the list as having one of the best volume knobs? 

 

So I guess that means the Dacmini does hiss, would you say it's on the level of the HDP, uDac2, or somewhere in between?

 

Thanks!


Sorry, it was late and I was sleepy, the Pico Slim belongs in the list of amps with good low volume channel balance.  I seem to recall that my old RSA Predator also had good channel balance, and I've checked my Protector which is also very good.

 

I don't think every knows yet that you have bat-like or dog-like hearing ability.


Edited by HeadphoneAddict - 3/31/11 at 12:10am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread