Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Help choosing between my top 3 seeds: Jays Q-jays, UE700s and Phonak Audeo PF 012 (perfect bass)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help choosing between my top 3 seeds: Jays Q-jays, UE700s and Phonak Audeo PF 012 (perfect bass)

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I am forced to buy new IEMS when, tragically, my old pair of panasonic HJE900s broke. The "sturdy" zirconium earbud broke when it fell out of my ear and hit my leg....awful. So in lieu of buying the replacement part which apparently does not exsist I'm using this as an excuse to buy a new set of IEMS. The highness of the highs and the sharpness of the treble bothered me in the HJEs and I'm looking for somthing with a little "punchier" bass, but I also need somthing lightweight enough to bring to the gym that won't pop out awkwardly as the heavy and (apprently flimsy) HJEs did. I can safetly say that after hours and hours of wearing them people should ignore the hype surrounding the HJEs and considering them old hat should move on...over rated. If anyone can point me in a direction between my top three seeds I'd be really appreciative. Many Thanks.

post #2 of 14

Firstly, congrats on breaking the HJE900! I found them over hyped as well, and in no way can they compete with let's say my Q-jays. The Q-jays have a better quality bass, a lot clearer sound composition and are more civil in re-producing all kinds of music. I found the HJE900 very very bloated with a weird bass reproduction that just didn't sound right to me. I find the bass on the q-jays (pumped up with the equalizer) of a lot better quality and definitely a lot more punchier than the weird thump HJE produced, but you might find the quantity less if your equalizer is of poor quality.

Otherwise, i think the Q-jays own the HJE in every respect when it comes to sound...and the build quality seems pretty good to me too. Haven't had any trouble with them in the last 1.5 years. Oh you will need to change their filters if you get lot of wax buildup in your ear.

post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBurger View Post

I am forced to buy new IEMS when, tragically, my old pair of panasonic HJE900s broke. The "sturdy" zirconium earbud broke when it fell out of my ear and hit my leg....awful. So in lieu of buying the replacement part which apparently does not exsist I'm using this as an excuse to buy a new set of IEMS. The highness of the highs and the sharpness of the treble bothered me in the HJEs and I'm looking for somthing with a little "punchier" bass, but I also need somthing lightweight enough to bring to the gym that won't pop out awkwardly as the heavy and (apprently flimsy) HJEs did. I can safetly say that after hours and hours of wearing them people should ignore the hype surrounding the HJEs and considering them old hat should move on...over rated. If anyone can point me in a direction between my top three seeds I'd be really appreciative. Many Thanks.


Lol, this is funny hmm where should I start first off you will not I repeat you will not get more 'punchier' bass from the Phonak. Sorry just doesn't exist, also always remember your rating is different from everyone esles. Question how in the hell did a tank like the Pana's break? Also one thing I can say the Phonaks don't have harsh highs but I doubt you will respect the move, they are different sound signatures. Coming from the Pana's you will find the Phonaks might sound lean and thin compared to the more fuller and lusher Pana's. Then the next thing you'll notice is more clarity due to the more analytical sound. After you come to this conclusion I assure you, you will be pissed because of nothing sounds 'natural' compared to the 'fuller', 'lusher' sound of the Panas. Things sound more headphone like vs. real life. Violins sound clear but lean and thin, then you move to the Pana's and you hear a more lusher, fuller, realistic presentation even if some what aggressive. Concerning the Pfe and the Q-jays the mids to me on the Q-jays were just dry. The Phonak is slightly warm, with awesome instrument separation, that surpasses the q-jays by a bit. I went thru the Q-jays and the 530's before settling on the Phonaks and never looked back. I assure the moving to the Phonaks may not do justice to you ears, I can assure if you was looking for more punchier bass look elsewhere. Hype is a word in the form of a opinion, people ethier like it or people don't. nuff said.


Edited by Confispect - 11/18/10 at 10:54am
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 

Can anybody compare the UEs to the q-jays and the Phonak Audeos? thanks

post #5 of 14

Damm forgot you said UE700, I don't know about a comparison to the Phonaks but here's one to the Panasbiggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518774/hje900-panny-s-dreamer-iem/15#post_7064418

 

 

Back when the Phonaks came out the UE700 were long gone....they weren't even being compared. They were being compared to all the 'new' entries of that time. IE8, W3, Triple fi (not new), Shure 530 (not new) q-jays. UE700 is not....a topic, (Shure420) There overlooked by there bigger brothers. In some places maybe there more popular then there 2x price siblings but not here.

post #6 of 14

Here is a review that might help you decide between the Phonak's or the UE 700's:

 

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2010/02/04/Phonak-Audeo-PFE-112-Earphones/p1 

 

I have the Phonak Audeo Perfect Bass & truly love them alot.  They do have a really lovable, warm and balanced output that doesn’t allow any one frequency to dominate the sound. I love their clarity and the quality & quantity of bass they put out. It's enough for my needs.

 

Also I have a perfect fit with the PFEs earphones & they are extremeable comfortable. 

 

Quote:
The highness of the highs and the sharpness of the treble bothered me in the HJEs and I'm looking for somthing with a little "punchier" bass, but I also need somthing lightweight enough to bring to the gym that won't pop out awkwardly as the heavy and (apprently flimsy) HJEs did. 

 

Trust me. The Phonak PFE Bass is so light weighing only 14 grams...making it one of the lighest earphones on the market...you won't even know you have them on. I have experience with these & know them well.


Edited by Starsky5000 - 11/18/10 at 2:33pm
post #7 of 14

hj900= boat load of bass, ton of brutal treble, no mids

 

q-jays = dry, great mids and great and abundant treble, not the most refined in the ward bet v good.  light on bass in camparison

 

ue700 = SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSibilance, q-jays wipe the floor with them

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post

hj900= boat load of bass, ton of brutal treble, no mids

 

q-jays = dry, great mids and great and abundant treble, not the most refined in the ward bet v good.  light on bass in camparison

 

ue700 = SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSibilance, q-jays wipe the floor with them


Disagree, just shows how we all have different ears.

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thanks for your help you guys, So i guess the Phonak's seem to beat the q-jays in your eyes and the UE700s are obsolete. Even with overnight shipping the Phonak's will be cheaper too, I think I may go with em.

post #10 of 14

If you decide to get the Phonak Perfect Bass also get a set of silicone ear guides that DEFINITELY HOLDS THEM IN PLACE.

 

Here they are:

http://store.audeoworld.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=audeoworld&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=443370997&Count2=360511422 

 

They come 3 sets in a pack for only $9.95.  They are worth the investment because they will last you the rest of your lifetime.

 

Let me know how much you enjoy the Phonak Perfect Bass?


Edited by Starsky5000 - 11/18/10 at 4:27pm
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 

They are on the way, thanks you guys for the recommendation.

post #12 of 14
I have both Phonaks PB and HJE and if you expect Phonaks to have "punchier bass" than Panas, of all IEMs, you are for the rude suprise pal. Everybody's years are different and to mine Phonaks sounded too bland and very one dimensional. Also I couldn't get good fit with them due to short stems. But they are light and comfortable though seem much more plasticky and easier to break than HJE.
post #13 of 14

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by albau View Post

I have both Phonaks PB and HJE and if you expect Phonaks to have "punchier bass" than Panas, of all IEMs, you are for the rude suprise pal. Everybody's years are different and to mine Phonaks sounded too bland and very one dimensional. Also I couldn't get good fit with them due to short stems. But they are light and comfortable though seem much more plasticky and easier to break than HJE.


I guess everyone's ears are different. We hear things differently & shaped a little different because i got a Perfect Fit with the Phonaks.
 

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by albau View Post

I have both Phonaks PB and HJE and if you expect Phonaks to have "punchier bass" than Panas, of all IEMs, you are for the rude suprise pal. Everybody's years are different and to mine Phonaks sounded too bland and very one dimensional. Also I couldn't get good fit with them due to short stems. But they are light and comfortable though seem much more plasticky and easier to break than HJE.


Agreed, impossible with the Panas you feel, with the Phonaks you hear. I would't expect a armature to be able to match a dynamic driver bass wise anyways (exception:SM3 to a certain extent)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Help choosing between my top 3 seeds: Jays Q-jays, UE700s and Phonak Audeo PF 012 (perfect bass)