Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any old fart head-fi'ers still around? - Page 23

post #331 of 345

anyone remember my old megathread?

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/84184/before-and-after-pics-curse-you-head-fi

 

very sad that a lot of the oldest pics are broken.  once i switched over to guitars as the main hobby, the pics started working - i transitioned to photobucket as i recall, instead of hosting pics on the old head-fi site.

post #332 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsdaddy View Post
 

The first mod I ever did was your "Kramer mod" for the Shure E2c.

 

LOL... man you still remember that?  That was a long time ago.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

The great thing is you still fit in that shirt quite comfortably.  I've outgrown the shirt from 9 years ago sadly. :blink:

Yep, my hair is gone but the shirt still fits.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

Wonder where he is now.  Sadly I still own the same tubes that Mikahail is holding in the picture.  What a loss to the community really.  He can voice amps like no one else despite questionable build quality.

Yeah he really screwed over a lot of people.  His amps always sounded really good.  Lesson learned though.  Its one thing to make a good sounding tube amp... its a whole nother' thing to make it reliable, operator safe, serviceable and reliable.

post #333 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

That is the reason I swear never to get the AK240 at $2499.  Portable audio gears are no longer good deals....this also hold true for headphones & amps in general.  The maxed out PPA from many years back still compete head-on with many $1000 solidstate headamps of today.  Funny thing is most members now don't even know what is the PPA or M3 amp.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
 

Agree; the PPA and M^3 (on the used market) seem like epic deals compared to more recent offerings. Disclosure: I'm still holding onto a maxed-out PPA (my 2nd bought from Purk!); I have a better amp in an old toaster Singlepower SDS, but man that PPA's a great sounding amp for relatively dirt cheap. I also had a lower-end PPA without the diamond buffer, and that thing sounded pretty darn nice too, for what it was.

 

x2... My main amp is still a diamond buffer PPA from a long time ago.  I came to the same conclusion... I would have to spend quite a bit of $$ to get a significantly better commercial SS amp than this.  But thats one thing thats totally different now than back then, DIY and the used DIY deals just aren't as frequent any more.  So I kind of ended my search amp-wise there.  The Dynalo was also another giant killer IMHO... they'e long gone though.

post #334 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
 

anyone remember my old megathread?

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/84184/before-and-after-pics-curse-you-head-fi

 

very sad that a lot of the oldest pics are broken.  once i switched over to guitars as the main hobby, the pics started working - i transitioned to photobucket as i recall, instead of hosting pics on the old head-fi site.

Hey Jahn... sorry to hear about your hearing loss.  That really blows.  Enjoy the guitar playing that can be very therapeutic in itself.  Yep I remember that thread.  I always wanted a Melos, loved the rack mount form.

post #335 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
 

 

 

 

x2... My main amp is still a diamond buffer PPA from a long time ago.  I came to the same conclusion... I would have to spend quite a bit of $$ to get a significantly better commercial SS amp than this.  But thats one thing thats totally different now than back then, DIY and the used DIY deals just aren't as frequent any more.  So I kind of ended my search amp-wise there.  The Dynalo was also another giant killer IMHO... they'e long gone though.

The Dynalo is alive and well.  Look at the HeadAmp superb GS-X MKII for a revised balanced Dynalo (Justin Wilson version).  Kevin Gilmore also recently revised his old Dynalo circuit to the DIY community with Super Symmetry Dynalo MK2 (also a balanced amp).  You can also look into the Headroom Ultra Balanced Desktop for a really good solidstate amp. 

post #336 of 345

Hello to those who still remember me. I am alive and well...

 

Joined HF when I just started High School... now I am already married. Time sure flies!

post #337 of 345
Join date 2004 here. I don't post nor peruse the Classifieds as much now. I still feel sorry for my wallet, having purchased the HD800, CK100PRO and C5D headamp last year. We sure have a dizzying number of choices out there than many years ago.
post #338 of 345

Seems lots of us are from 2004 here. If only I knew about this site when it launched, I would have been here 2001 since I have been an audio nut since the 80s.


Edited by donunus - 2/10/15 at 2:23am
post #339 of 345

Another '04 inmate here as well. Lurker since '02.

post #340 of 345

Yet another. Addicted to head-fi since 2004. 

post #341 of 345

I stopped lurking here around 2010 but I check back every couple months. I still use my Woo Audio (WA3) amp daily that I bought in 2005...6+ hours every day with no problems yet. After I bought my T1 in 2010 my urge to upgrade vanished.

 

Between 2005 and 2009 I collected pics that were posted here (most of them). I had them on Webshots until it was no longer free.  I've uploaded them to Photobucket.  If you get bored, check it out, you might find a long lost memory of past gear.

 

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GreatDane67/library/toys/Head-Fi%20pics?sort=3&page=1

post #342 of 345
We have old farts but we also have old sharts too.
post #343 of 345

I just received a request for some pics of a D25 dual DAC mod I performed 10+ years ago; thought I'd pop in here and say hello. Found and sent pics of the mod, D25 schematic, PCB layout, etc. I actually still have the D25 and it still works fine. I did however suffer a light tremor thinking back to soldering stacked SMD chips.

 

My headphone gear has dwindled though the years, but still have a few good portable pieces; desktop rig these days is Stax 007s and a 727II, which I mod'd ala Spritzer/Doc Gilmore's resistor mod. Still using the Opus 21 I picked up in '06; still such a smooth analogish experience.

 

High-end gear remains a complete lure: opened the Amp-for-sale section just to have a peak, and gave a moment's thought to the very nice KGSSHV I saw there. Too easy to get sucked back in....


Edited by drp - 2/13/15 at 2:40pm
post #344 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by drp View Post
 

I just received a request for some pics of a D25 dual DAC mod I performed 10+ years ago; thought I'd pop in here and say hello. Found and sent pics of the mod, D25 schematic, PCB layout, etc. I actually still have the D25 and it still works fine. I did however suffer a light tremor thinking back to soldering stacked SMD chips.

 

My headphone gear has dwindled though the years, but still have a few good portable pieces; desktop rig these days is Stax 007s and a 727II, which I mod'd ala Spritzer/Doc Gilmore's resistor mod. Still using the Opus 21 I picked up in '06; still such a smooth analogish experience.

 

High-end gear remains a complete lure: opened the Amp-for-sale section just to have a peak, and gave a moment's thought to the very nice KGSSHV I saw there. Too easy to get sucked back in....

The KGSSHV will be a great great amp for you.  Spritz is selling one on a reused chassis for around $2000. That's a great buy.  I have the 727II and it hardly able to drive the 007 properly.  The KGSSHV + SR007 is an end game rig really.

post #345 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

The KGSSHV will be a great great amp for you.  Spritz is selling one on a reused chassis for around $2000. That's a great buy.  I have the 727II and it hardly able to drive the 007 properly.  The KGSSHV + SR007 is an end game rig really.
I know some prefer the KGSSHV to the BHSE. Since you have both, do you think the BHSE is that much better ( resolution, soundstage, imaging wise) than the KGSSHV driving the SR009?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?