Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any old fart head-fi'ers still around? - Page 19

post #271 of 315

I seem to have lost a lot of posts at some point. Probably the software changeover. I think I had 12,000 or so. Well, if I stick around long enough, they'll be up there again, Joe! Good to hear from you!

post #272 of 315
Still alive over here, but still have a bum ear and tinnitus due to a inner ear infection a while back- no, not due to headphone listening! But yeah it makes audiophile-level listening a moot point.

Still have the Tower of Power, but I gave it to my dad as his retirement gift. Now he gets to groove with the Darth Grados, the Maestrobated Melos SHA-Gold, that turntable and external DAC I forgot the name of, the OPPO universal player as transport...
post #273 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post

Still alive over here, but still have a bum ear and tinnitus due to a inner ear infection a while back- no, not due to headphone listening! But yeah it makes audiophile-level listening a moot point.

Still have the Tower of Power, but I gave it to my dad as his retirement gift. Now he gets to groove with the Darth Grados, the Maestrobated Melos SHA-Gold, that turntable and external DAC I forgot the name of, the OPPO universal player as transport...

 

Sorry to hear that Jahn. Any treatment you can take? I had horrible tinnitus for two years, but three years of caution and my ears are very good now and tinnitus no longer an issue. "Masetrobated Melos SHA-Gold" ah, those were the days. Wow, coming back to this place is a real nostalgia trip.  I'm sure you dad is loving that set up!

post #274 of 315
Well some inner ear stuff got messed up so it's not just tinnitus, it's also high frequency hearing, so loud or harsh sounds make music sound like a broken megaphone, not fun. Yep those days are over. But hey, I'm still slinging HD25-1 pros to work but these days I don't stand out as much, being surrounded by Beats by Dre. Sometimes I don't even have music on, they act like protection from subway screeches haha.
post #275 of 315

I feel for you Jahn.  I hope one day it will slowly get better and your hearing will return to normal.  I'm not sure if someone else has already eclipse your post count.  

post #276 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

I'm not sure if someone else has already eclipse your post count.  

Krmathis :D 35k posts

post #277 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post

Still alive over here, but still have a bum ear and tinnitus due to a inner ear infection a while back- no, not due to headphone listening! But yeah it makes audiophile-level listening a moot point.

Still have the Tower of Power, but I gave it to my dad as his retirement gift. Now he gets to groove with the Darth Grados, the Maestrobated Melos SHA-Gold, that turntable and external DAC I forgot the name of, the OPPO universal player as transport...


Great to hear from you Jahn, it been a while. Sorry to hear about your ear infection, but glad you haven't totally disappeared. The Tower of Power, who can ever forget that setup.

post #278 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post

Sometimes I don't even have music on.

You know you're a headphone fanatic when you get to the point you just feel better with them on... even sans music! :wink_face:

post #279 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

I feel for you Jahn.  I hope one day it will slowly get better and your hearing will return to normal.  I'm not sure if someone else has already eclipse your post count.  

I'm really glad to see Jahn posting again, not just because he is a great guy, but because I do not want to exceed his post count biggrin.gif
post #280 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

MDR-CD3000 - the one headphone that I truly wanted, that always eluded me...

That being said, had two pairs of CD1700s, loved them, sold them, regretted it - Old school Sony is definitely better than new school frown.gif


Anything new Sony is worse than... anything. Apart from cameras, it's one of the few, if not only, things they can still do well (possibly because it's the last major thing they got into? I dunno, don't care, almost Sony-free everywhere now).

 

 

But I also think old-school Sony was overrated once you got much beyond ~£100.

 

 

Is there anyone still inflicting a Qualia on themselves? :evil: 


Edited by bangraman - 7/18/14 at 4:16pm
post #281 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman View Post
 


Anything new Sony is worse than... anything. Apart from cameras, it's one of the few, if not only, things they can still do well (possibly because it's the last major thing they got into? I dunno, don't care, almost Sony-free everywhere now).

 

 

But I also think old-school Sony was overrated once you got much beyond ~£100.

 

 

Is there anyone still inflicting a Qualia on themselves? :evil: 

Still got them.  With the right amp they are nearly on par with the Stax SR-009 with BHSE.

post #282 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman View Post
 


Anything new Sony is worse than... anything. Apart from cameras, it's one of the few, if not only, things they can still do well (possibly because it's the last major thing they got into? I dunno, don't care, almost Sony-free everywhere now).

 

 

But I also think old-school Sony was overrated once you got much beyond ~£100.

 

 

Is there anyone still inflicting a Qualia on themselves? :evil: 


Sony's have really bad customer service too. A total opposite of Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic when it comes to service. My new ma900 that sounded distorted out of the box were never replaced or fixed because sony refuses to help.

post #283 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

Still got them.  With the right amp they are nearly on par with the Stax SR-009 with BHSE.

 

I guess it depends on whether you like listening to an 009 in a tin bathtub ;)

post #284 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman View Post
 

 

 

Is there anyone still inflicting a Qualia on themselves? :evil: 

I still have mine ,loving them with my modded Cary 300sei,The Ec ZD also does a good job with them.

post #285 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

Still got them.  With the right amp they are nearly on par with the Stax SR-009 with BHSE.

 

 

It's been so long, I'd forgotten what Qualia look like. Checked out some photos on Google. BEAUTIFUL. One of the ultimate industrial designs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?