Does anyone have any idea could these be driven out of those cheap Class-T amps that are sold at ebay? Or is this bad idea? I remember some people driving their HE-6 out of speaker amps with good results. And the TA2020 amps are very good sounding. (with speakers, that is)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION Firstly I'd like to acknowledge Head-fier Ajaxander (Andy) and also Ken Ball from...
I bought these (at £150) expecting much but was shocked by how far they fell short of even competency. They are very uncomfortable, badly designed and the sound is really nothing special. Whatever...
Can’t believe nobody has commented on the lack of an extremely basic feature that exists on 99% of MP3 players but missing from this and many other Fiio units — which is the ability to bookmark....
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q: Deceptively Small The AAW Q is an upcoming IEM from Singaporean company Advanced AcousticWerkes, scheduled for release in the first week of September. It boasts a new...
Now that I've heard all the ADEL modules from Asius technologies(what has been released since 8/16), it's even harder to pick a favorite. Some days I want to tune the sound to my unique anatomy,...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 50
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #737 of 38976/22/13 at 5:55am
Have no experience with the ebay amps you mention, so I won't comment there. But the solution is quite simple and inexpensive. Get on your local craigslist and start scoping out some vintage receivers...Pioneer, Sanui, Marantaz. Go do some reading on the vintage receiver thread and educate yourself. Take about $100 and go buy the vintage receiver of your choice and prepared to have your mind blown by what you can get for $100.
My Pioneer sx-650 has just as much punch, dynamics and refinement as any amp I've owned. I use the Pioneer to drive the he4 exclusively now.post #738 of 38976/22/13 at 6:13am
Yeah it would probably be a good idea to hunt one of those vintage amps.. Bad thing is just that they are so big and heavy, and in my dorm room, space is at a premium.
Do you get any hiss when you drive the headphones through your speaker amp? Most vintage amps that I have owned in the past have had quite strong background noise.post #739 of 38976/22/13 at 6:23am
It depends on the amp and the hp being used. With my hd650 I do get a very faint hiss when no music is playing. With orthos the background is completely black.
Right now I'm using the Asgard2 as a pre-amp to the Pioneer. This is working out beautifully.post #740 of 38976/22/13 at 7:55am
Sounds nice. Btw, could you clarify are you using the headphone output or speaker output of the amp for driving the HE-4? I'm a bit confused here.
And yeah the most amps that I owned weren't as hifi as your SX650, for example is. So could be that the hiss is less with better amps.post #741 of 38976/22/13 at 8:46am
I'm using the headphone out on the sx-650. In most of these vintage amps they use the same output stage on the headphone jack as they do for the speaker out. That's why there is so much power there.
There is quite a bit of variation among these older receivers. I've found that the Pioneer line is pretty darn good. Anything with x50 is good. (sx-650/750/850/950/1250)post #742 of 38976/22/13 at 9:48ampost #743 of 38976/22/13 at 9:57amQuote:
Oh but they are my friend. You can have a cable constructed that attached to the speaker output of any of these vintage/non vintage amps...usually referred to as a speaker tap cable. Then you have the ability to drive the most difficult hp's out there including the he-6.post #744 of 38976/22/13 at 1:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by preproman
Get it now.. I think they also have a return period..
Hmm, I'm interested. I don't feel like spending on a new cable to run through speaker taps, though. However, I just might have to anyway because the wire going to my left headphone cup is starting to wear and the audio pops in and out :/post #745 of 38976/22/13 at 1:52pmpost #746 of 38976/22/13 at 5:25pm
i had my he-4 and ef5 for a long time now, I just love the sound, its plenty loud for me? I would not trade detailed sound for a louder sound. also I would try different dacs if your not happy with the sound. the hrt musicstreamer II+ sounds like analog with the he-4 and ef5. just a sweeeeeeet combo.
Edited by valtopps - 6/22/13 at 5:26pmpost #747 of 38976/22/13 at 9:27pm
great dacs for he-4 and ef-5 would be: hm-601, old arcam alpha 9 cd player (dcs ring dac inside), electrocompaniet ecd-1, old vintage multibit dacs with something like pmd-100 digital filter and nice analog output stage
I know exactly what to buy and for the music quality terms I finally sold my Lyr and kept EF-5, but when there is more power pumped into something like low sensitive orthos, everything becomes bigger, soundstage is jaw drapping, drum bass is real life experience (though I like bass from ef-5 but still much amount of power is something in completely different league)
he-400, no thanks, after listening to piano or cello there was only one winner even after a few notes, even with nice bass of he-400, after listening many systems throughout many years, he-4 wins hands down for me, in many aspects, especially soundstage, imaging, more detailed / textured bass, natural treble energy, one of the best middle I have heard (middle in he-400 was the main reason to send them back, it was too dark, veiled on many amps, hiding too many beautiful things that are there - a heart of music)
Edited by magicman - 8/3/13 at 3:16ampost #748 of 38976/23/13 at 4:17ampost #749 of 38976/24/13 at 7:48am
After about 4 months ef-5 (newest revision with gain settings under the amplifier unit) changed too, even on stock tube 12au7 fullmusic (love that tube for higher middle and decay, details and space, I have 12au7 from Radiotechnique for some other genres), bass became so strong, quality of this bass is really amazing, so detailed, so airy and powerful, can't believe you can buy these headphones for that low price, I'm thinking of buying another extra pair and keep them safe for the future
I wonder how would they sound with some transrotor (new turntable) as a source + speaker amp ... :D
Even listening to many stuff on youtube, even from some ****ty azalia codec onboard this is unbelievable, I can hear distortion of poor quality file but there is still amazing realism of the performance which sucks me deep and deep into the music, I am so happy after so many years ... damn, hearing almost all dynamic headphones, so many and expensive amps (though wa6 maxxxed or rudistor rpx-33 ev-08 with hd600 were nice combination with arcam alpha 9 as a source, there was amazing magic, thick, syroupy sound, with amazing airness, drive but not that level of realism, speed, transient, power)
HE-4 are made to play with pure transistors with nice power output, I would opt for class A, matched transistors (no feedbacks), dual mono design with no capacitors in audio path, 5-8W but surprisingly ef-5 does amazing job, has something special in its sound signature
check out a few examples of what I mean (make sure to turn the volume up):
and so on ...
having youtube these days you need nothing more, even at low quality like rostropovich cello bach (breathtaking on he-4+ef-5 combo despite 240p quality, this is amazing)
Edited by magicman - 7/5/13 at 9:30ampost #750 of 38977/5/13 at 8:23am
I'd like to add that the he-4, known to be tough to drive, sounds incredible on some vintage receivers. I've tried the Pioneer sx-650 and now the Sansui 9090db. The Pioneer is very good but the Sansui is simply amazing.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 7 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 7 minutes ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 9 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 12 minutes ago
- › EarSonics' new 9 BA driver flagship: the S-EM9 14 minutes ago
- › Electronic music fans - Headphones discussion thread 18 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression 18 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Nova by Brooko
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...